Author Topic: Do you think english is easy?  (Read 9382 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Do you think english is easy?
« on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 13:43:32 »
http://www.tickld.com/x/english-isnt-as-easy-as-you-think

A friend shared this with me , made me think of all the times someone on here has said, 'I'm not a native english speaker..'

English is all I know and I'm not very good at it.  :))

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: Do you think english is easy?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:02:57 »
English is hard

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:09:26 »
Interesting read...

"Double brewed coffee" was suggested under your topic :p

http://www.tickld.com/funny/t/761837

"I can throw an orange at 60% the speed of light"
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:44:57 »
I enjoyed reading that, made me feel smart for once as I am better than someone at speaking and reading the english language, by someone I mean people who can't speak englisih at all, so I smarter den all of dem.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline Harrowed

• My wallet has been hacked
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 16:48:28 »
Every language has its difficulties and weird properties. Here's finnish for you:

Ergodox MX Blues | Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 16:52:45 »
I confused Shadovved with this one :)

If Flammable means "something will burn" what does inflammable mean?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 17:14:25 »
Anyone from Wales here? Or Inuit?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 17:20:23 »
Anyone from Wales here? Or Inuit?

Photeqk?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 18:09:46 »
Every language has its difficulties and weird properties. Here's finnish for you:

Agreed, trying to get your head around male/female versions of words and ****... and Italian has **** like 'yous' (you plural) like **** hows a dyslexic suppose to deal with that kinda nonsense? Hard, that's how.

People born in English speaking countries are both super lucky and both super ****ed. Most western European countries have super awesome education systems that teach English early on so most people in Europe who aren't from the UK have a pretty good (if basic) grasp of English, while if your from the UK chances are you can order **** off a menu in France and the only other skill you have is to shout English at people slowly... Or if your like me, I was taught both German and French in such a way as I know neither, that said I can still say 'hello' in german... hallo!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 18:23:43 »
Don't worry baldgye we can both go and order

"Une burger "

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 18:45:31 »
vat ist das?!

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 18:58:09 »

Agreed, trying to get your head around male/female versions of words and ****... and Italian has **** like 'yous' (you plural) like **** hows a dyslexic suppose to deal with that kinda nonsense? Hard, that's how.

People born in English speaking countries are both super lucky and both super ****ed. Most western European countries have super awesome education systems that teach English early on so most people in Europe who aren't from the UK have a pretty good (if basic) grasp of English, while if your from the UK chances are you can order **** off a menu in France and the only other skill you have is to shout English at people slowly... Or if your like me, I was taught both German and French in such a way as I know neither, that said I can still say 'hello' in german... hallo!
I believe most of European languages have the plural of 'you'. It is polite and expected to when talking to elder or formal to say it even if you are speaking to one person if that makes any sense. But it is natural to us and yes most of the people here learn English even in pre school so basically everyone knows it. Most (including me) have 3rd and 4th language in school. I studied Russian and French in mid and high school, now I am studying German in College..
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 19:48:59 »
A friend is in the process of trying to learn Bulgarian, which has more conjugations than you can even imagine
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 19:53:46 »
Any language as a second one is not easy unless you live in a place it is spoken at for a considerable amount of time. You will always have some residual accent, and people can tell you are not a native speaker. I do not care much about it, but fact is it is always there.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 22:07:49 »
Hrrmmm?

this is the result of the fact that language is alive.. and transforms over time..  eventually things get jumbled because it's unnecessary to be absolutely precise (as far as daily use)...

Did you eat rice today?

If a majority of people in one time period agree that Rice is now called Gypsum..  Then it doesn't freakin matter..

Because sooner or later, someone will decide that because starchy-rice tends to cause / correlate with Diabetus, to rename rice.. Arsenic..

and then everyone will call rice Arsenic...

No biggie..

notice how diabetus isn't a word.. but I can bet you within the next 50 years, it will be in the official dictionary.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 23:37:43 »
I was tasked with helping some of our immigrant employees with their English, after they moved to Australia.

They learned English most of their lives, so they spoke it pretty well, but lacked a lot of the nuances.

Some of the questions they asked me about the structure of sentences I have no idea.

I'm like, I speak the language, but I don't know how or why, I just do.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 23:54:52 »
I like asking people to pronounce "the worst word in the world is the word war". Depending on where they are from it may be difficult.

Also, we get sweet stuff like "james while john had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher." (insert punctuation as needed.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 00:59:03 »
**** English

I love Elzy

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 01:03:08 »
English is ubiquitous. Even if it's not your mothers tongue, it's just a click away from a vast source of resources and places to practice it. Once you get the basic gasps of the grammar, the rest is just practice and adding upon it. There's certainly a learning curve with the grammar that's about the hardest thing to get used to, but I think once you get a second language going, if you pick up on another one it gets easier with time as you kinda switch mindsets easily. The earlier in life you get to learn another language, the better.

And about vocabulary, you never stop learning new terms throughout your life. The big issue comes when you try to learn a language where no one in your community speaks it (or just a few). If you don't practice, it slowly fades away.

Speaking 2 or more languages is not a big deal in some places.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 01:03:24 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Lol!! Wow .. That looks hard!

Offline iri

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 02:06:32 »
english isn't really hard. it's just very ****ed up and illogical.

A friend is in the process of trying to learn Bulgarian, which has more conjugations than you can even imagine
oh, come on. there are only four cases, and they aren't always used. hungarian, for example, has THIRTY cases.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 05:15:05 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 05:54:46 »
I wish our brain had Ethernet or a fiber optics 10GB/s port

Can't wait...

Then I could spam you guys ultra-faster

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:48:28 »
I wish our brain had Ethernet or a fiber optics 10GB/s port

Can't wait...

Then I could spam you guys ultra-faster

Show Image

But can your WPM keep up? :p
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:59:49 »
english isn't really hard. it's just very ****ed up and illogical.

That sounds about right. I swear there isn't a single rule that is not broken in at least 10 relatively common cases.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 April 2014, 15:27:08 by Smasher816 »

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 13:09:00 »
Welly good English I have learnt. 

Important it is to be speaking properly.

English from Yoda I was taught hella good.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 13:54:55 »
English is one of the easiest languages in the world to learn, along with the other Germanic languages.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 15:24:15 »
That sounds about right. I swear there isn't a single rule that is not broken at least 10 relatively common cases.

This is the key thing, I think.  English is terribly inconsistent compared to other languages.  Even after you grasp how the grammar works and memorize root words you have to learn through slow experience the various exceptions and different (inconsistent) forms of those words.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:20:00 »
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline iri

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:25:56 »
English is one of the easiest languages in the world to learn, along with the other Germanic languages.
-Malphas, native speaker.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:46:07 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMZsDaTxaKo

Ahhh, there is this horrible high pitched sound in that video. Make it stop, make it stop. :-\

Offline Malphas

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:56:43 »
But it genuinely is. Germanic languages are simple as **** compared to basically everything else.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 18:42:43 »
English is easy to learn, but difficult to master. A big part of this is globalization though, and I wouldn't have thought this 50-60 years ago.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 01:40:14 »
English is a language of a few rules and many, many exceptions.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:50:19 »
English is easy. That's why even most of the morons in America know it.

Offline iri

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 03:55:56 »
But it genuinely is. Germanic languages are simple as **** compared to basically everything else.
Russian is one of the easiest languages in the world to learn, along with the other Slavic languages.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 03:58:05 »

Your confusing English with American ;)

Offline iri

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:02:12 »

excuse me, in which one of those "you're" and "your" is the same thing?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:06:19 »
"Hey you! You're a banana"

"Hey you, is that your banana?"

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:13:54 »

Sorry, I can't properly reply to someone correcting my (a dyslexics) grammar when you can't even start a sentence with a capital letter ;)

BOOM

Offline iri

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:48:40 »

Sorry, I can't properly reply to someone correcting my (a dyslexics) grammar when you can't even start a sentence with a capital letter ;)

BOOM
DYSLEXIA.
seems to be a very common thing in the uk.
also an excellent cop-out for those who can't differ between "lack" and "luck".
i need the same sort of cop-out for my awful grammar.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:03:07 »

BOOM
DYSLEXIA.

Yeah defo is a total cop-out... All these 'special' needs are people benefit scamming... I mean clearly I'm an idiot (with an IQ that puts me in the top 10%) because I can't to maths and have poor spelling and grammar... And people like you who pick out posts on forums for bad grammar are clearly the geniuses of the modern world picking apart the arguments and opinions of clear idiots like me.

....or was that all bull****? Sorry I'm still trying to figure out who tym was talking about... All these yours and yours got me all muddled... GIVE ME ALL THE BENEFITS (random all caps because you did it and your a grammar master so it must be right)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:09:41 »
I believe most of European languages have the plural of 'you'.
"You" is already plural, the plural of the older "thou". English made away with the less polite form.

In Sweden, the opposite was done in Swedish in the 1960's. The use of "you" to address a single person politely was rationalized a way in the spirit of equality, but then emerged the custom of spelling the singular form with a capital letter as a way of being more polite ...
I have heard of instances where old people have got offended when someone had by mistake used the plural form to address them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:17:38 by Findecanor »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:14:26 »
Baldgye were you on "Benefit's Street" ?

Are you really White Dee?

Dear god the program was horrendous, I nearly cried  :))

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:20:31 »
I kinda wish I knew who you where taking about, but I never watched... I didn't even know it existed until it was in the news lol

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:30:19 »
Don't worry, you didn't miss anything. Although if you're in the mood, then its one of the funniest programs on TV, while I was watching I just kept thinking back to this though.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:34:37 »
Hahahahahaha yeah I can imagine... Though you say that, I might see people with equally serious disabilities being ATTACKED by people who simply don't understand our plite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡!!!!!!!

Offline iri

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:41:25 »

BOOM
DYSLEXIA.

Yeah defo is a total cop-out... All these 'special' needs are people benefit scamming... I mean clearly I'm an idiot (with an IQ that puts me in the top 10%) because I can't to maths and have poor spelling and grammar... And people like you who pick out posts on forums for bad grammar are clearly the geniuses of the modern world picking apart the arguments and opinions of clear idiots like me.

....or was that all bull****? Sorry I'm still trying to figure out who tym was talking about... All these yours and yours got me all muddled... GIVE ME ALL THE BENEFITS (random all caps because you did it and your a grammar master so it must be right)
i said my grammar was ****, pay some more attention, please :p

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:45:00 »
FORGIVE ME IM JUST A CHEAP BENEFIT ****

Offline Malphas

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:46:49 »
Russian is one of the easiest languages in the world to learn, along with the other Slavic languages.

Agreed, but English is still easier. The good thing about Slavic languages though, is that once you know one you basically know 90% of all of them, which obviously isn't the case with Germanic, Romance, etc.