Author Topic: Ebay Mtek Monterey K104 Blue Alps $25 BIN + $15 shipping  (Read 3494 times)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Ebay Mtek Monterey K104 Blue Alps $25 BIN + $15 shipping
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:39:02 »
Very solid board. The price isn't great given the condition it's in... but it's not too bad either.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 02:05:44 »
Yeah, those keys are pretty worn. I was somewhat interested, until you said that and I looked closer.

Still probably a good get for someone who hasn't tried those switches.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 02:11:58 »
Monterey blues are awesome, I'd make an offer on this if I didn't already have one.

Offline lilky

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 14:15:41 »
I just bought this! I'm nervous I made the wrong decision...do you guys think the spacebar will be fixable?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 14:17:20 »
I just bought this! I'm nervous I made the wrong decision...do you guys think the spacebar will be fixable?

Just replace the switch from a less used key like pause/break or insert.  It should be fine.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline lilky

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 14:59:32 »
What are blue alps like? This is my first alps board :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 15:01:25 »
Montereys are knock-offs with compatible key caps but not pins.

I think that they are comparable to blue Alps but with perhaps a lighter sound and touch.

Very nice, and you should be able to re-sell the board if you don't like them.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 15:31:32 »

Monterey blues are super nice feeling to me. Although I can't compare them to true blue Alps I prefer them to whites because of how much lighter they are.

Offline lilky

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 15:37:19 »
Ooo well that sounds pleasant. I like lighter switches so hopefully I'll enjoy these!

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 15:39:11 »
Ooo well that sounds pleasant. I like lighter switches so hopefully I'll enjoy these!

They're still heavy compared to Cherry MX red, brown, blue, but relative to the white Alps I've used the Mtek boards are lighter. However a lot of the switches on mine are inconsistent so I don't use it much. :((

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 19:44:26 »

Monterey blues are super nice feeling to me. Although I can't compare them to true blue Alps I prefer them to whites because of how much lighter they are.

It's not all roses. I hated SMK alps-mount ("monterey blues") in the siig minitouch I had. They are wobbly and somewhat chattery. Some people seem to like them so you might. If not, resale is entirely possible.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 23:26:09 »
It's not all roses. I hated SMK alps-mount ("monterey blues") in the siig minitouch I had. They are wobbly and somewhat chattery. Some people seem to like them so you might. If not, resale is entirely possible.
They’re only “chattery” if you have crappy thin ABS keycaps on them. The ones I’ve tried also aren’t wobbly at all. Noticeably less wobble than e.g. any Alps switches.

They're still heavy compared to Cherry MX red, brown, blue, but relative to the white Alps I've used the Mtek boards are lighter. However a lot of the switches on mine are inconsistent so I don't use it much. :((
The force at actuation is maybe slightly higher than cherry MX blue, but because they are substantially more tactile, and also very light in the early part of the key travel, to me they feel pretty similar in weight overall. They’re also quite smooth (nowhere near as much scratchy plastic friction as any Cherry MX switches). Basically, similar in weight but dramatically more satisfying to type on, for me at least. They have a bit less travel than MX switches.

I think that they are comparable to blue Alps but with perhaps a lighter sound and touch.

I don’t think it’s fair to call them knock-offs. They are a substantially different mechanism. Someone must have demanded that SMK provide switches with an Alps keycap mount to match existing keycaps, and SMK obliged by putting an Alps mount on their existing different switch design.

They have less travel than blue Alps, and a fairly similar weight. They are more tactile than Alps clicky switches, and the tactile/actuation point is noticeably further in the switch travel. The sound is a bit different, a bit higher pitched with a bit more “snap” to it. They also make less sound when bottoming out or returning.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 April 2014, 23:37:47 by jacobolus »

Offline lilky

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 11:36:04 »
They’re only “chattery” if you have crappy thin ABS keycaps on them. The ones I’ve tried also aren’t wobbly at all. Noticeably less wobble than e.g. any Alps switches.

The force at actuation is maybe slightly higher than cherry MX blue, but because they are substantially more tactile, and also very light in the early part of the key travel, to me they feel pretty similar in weight overall. They’re also quite smooth (nowhere near as much scratchy plastic friction as any Cherry MX switches). Basically, similar in weight but dramatically more satisfying to type on, for me at least. They have a bit less travel than MX switches.

I don’t think it’s fair to call them knock-offs. They are a substantially different mechanism. Someone must have demanded that SMK provide switches with an Alps keycap mount to match existing keycaps, and SMK obliged by putting an Alps mount on their existing different switch design.

They have less travel than blue Alps, and a fairly similar weight. They are more tactile than Alps clicky switches, and the tactile/actuation point is noticeably further in the switch travel. The sound is a bit different, a bit higher pitched with a bit more “snap” to it. They also make less sound when bottoming out or returning.

Thanks for all the great info, I'll keep you guys updated when it arrives (apparently it'll arrive tomorrow). Do you happen to know of any resources for restoration of older keyboards? It looks like I'll have to do some cleaning.