Author Topic: What's your smartphone ?  (Read 141084 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: What's your smartphone ?
« Reply #800 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 06:02:10 »
You need to unlock the bootloader to flash a different system image, if I understand it correctly.

It's easy to unlock it on some devices (like my xperia) or even comes unlocked by default on some developer hardware, but it included making use of weird exploits on HTC phones IIRC.

Root privileges are especially useful for some low-level stuff, such as controlling apps' access rights (it's inferior to iOS' in stock Android by default).

edit: oops, didn't refresh the page earlier
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 April 2014, 06:04:03 by davkol »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #801 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 06:02:49 »
Kudos to HTC for making things easier on the m8.
Too bad there's not going to be any stock based ROMs until the GPE comes out.

Also that stock bit wasn't meant to criticize you, I just wanted to hash out the differences in android roms

Ugh sense.
Poor m8 bastards.

There is a google play version coming, but you cant get that on contact, least not that I've seen

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #802 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 06:10:15 »
Oh that is good.

I remember those sense based Roms were not as straightforward to flash and prone to higher rates of failure compared to stock based Roms.

I guess one could get the m8 and eventually do the GPE converstion.

Offline iri

« Reply #803 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 06:10:29 »
lonewolf makes things clear
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline crazynapkinman

« Reply #804 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 23:11:52 »
Cheapo flip phones until last year-> Samsung Exhibit Gen 1 -> Samsung Galaxy Rush

I love the Exhibit (still works great but no cell service on it. was wifes' old phone. Took it and rooted, exploited and pimped out, basically a hyped up mp3 player)

The Rush (Boost) is a very nice phone. Basically the same thing as Exhibit only a lil better in CPU and RAM. I've also played with this one quite a bit and love it. Siyanara bloatware!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #805 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 23:14:42 »
anybody here remember the name of the "iphone killer" samsung brought out during the first gen iphone?

can't remember it, but i remember the hype around it and it being a gigantic POS.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #806 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 23:23:08 »
HTC since 2004, yo!
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Patchwrks

« Reply #807 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:48:06 »
LG G2.  Went from an iPhone 5 to it.  holy **** the screen
(´・ω・`)denko-chan~~~내 스레드

Offline belac

« Reply #808 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 00:16:14 »
Just got my Galaxy S5 today. Really liking it so far. it's more of an upgrade than I expected over my Rezound

Offline IronJoeJac

« Reply #809 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 13:15:24 »
Google Nexus 5. It is amazing for the price.
CM Quickfire TK (blue)    HHKB PRO 2 Black

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #810 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 15:45:38 »
iphone 4 broke, so i got a new iphone 4

Offline marcusant

« Reply #811 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 20:54:37 »
I have a Nexus 5. Open source software and ease of modification is really important to me. Having to use some exploit to gain full access over my things isn't something I enjoy.

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #812 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 23:14:38 »
I have a Nexus 5. Open source software and ease of modification is really important to me. Having to use some exploit to gain full access over my things isn't something I enjoy.
Totally agree. My first smartphone was Nexus S and now using a Nexus 5. Getting sicked of constantly flashing rom. Maybe i am getting old, iPhone next
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline Glissant

« Reply #813 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 05:59:05 »
I understood it as marcusant being happy with not having to use an exploit to get root on his nexus 5. Whereas you need an exploit on iOS to be able to customize the os.
To me half of the charm with Android devices is custom ROMs. I -love- that my sgs4 is a beast with an aosp rom. Couldn't recommend iOS too anybody that isn't coming from an older iPhone. Don't get me wrong; I could use both operating systems and would gladly recommend either to a new user.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #814 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 07:35:47 »
I understood it as marcusant being happy with not having to use an exploit to get root on his nexus 5. Whereas you need an exploit on iOS to be able to customize the os.
To me half of the charm with Android devices is custom ROMs. I -love- that my sgs4 is a beast with an aosp rom. Couldn't recommend iOS too anybody that isn't coming from an older iPhone. Don't get me wrong; I could use both operating systems and would gladly recommend either to a new user.

I jailbroke my iPhone a while ago and honestly, it wasn't all that amazing. Most of the updates to the OS that came with the iPhone5 did a lot of what the jailbreak community was working on, sure a lot of the illegal stuff is still fair enough though it's a bastard to get to work...

That said (as an iPhone user) the idea of rooting iOS as a reason to like or dislike is a bit silly, especially as iOS gives you so many more avenues to hate it. The only reason I even brought up rooting was because on android the only real problem that I can see is updating it. iPhones all get the same updates at the same time, or there abouts so you never have to even really think about it. But I know friends who have android devices and they seem to get them randomly...

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #815 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 07:40:14 »
Haven't had a smartphone for almost a year now, switched back to a dumbphone. And much to my surprise, it's actually fairly smart, having most of the same features as any smartphone, just watered down a bit (web browsing, GPS, games/apps, etc.)

And not to mention the superb battery life - can make it 4 days without charging it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 April 2014, 07:43:08 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline marcusant

« Reply #816 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:00:18 »
Totally agree. My first smartphone was Nexus S and now using a Nexus 5. Getting sicked of constantly flashing rom. Maybe i am getting old, iPhone next

I meant that I don't have to use an exploit, like you would have to on an iPhone. You can just use a Nexus 5 and keep it on the stock rom if you really want to :P.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #817 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 18:39:30 »
And not to mention the superb battery life - can make it 4 days without charging it.

After receiving an iPhone (from someone who had bought the latest model) and breaking it by letting it drop, I went back to an old Nokia dumbphone. It's been two years. You can technically install "apps" on it but these are the lame J2ME (Java 2 Micro Edition) apps so I don't bother doing that (I'm not missing much because J2ME apps were crap). It has fallen on the ground so many times I can't remember. There's a huge scratch on the display but...

This thing keeps running. Regarding battery life: ten days easily, probably more (I know some can run for two to three weeks). And that's with the phone's original battery, dating from I don't know how many years ago!

I may go back to a smartphone one of these days but no hurry :))
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #818 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 01:15:40 »
Nexus 5, I love modding it, I'm flashing a new ROM almost every week and tweaking the kernel etc. I just love modifying my phone.
Best phone I have ever had my hands on since the Galaxy Nexus. Why did I ever leave nexus phones...?
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #819 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 09:15:12 »
After having the first Nexus back in the day I vowed never to use another phone. I loved my Galaxy Nexus and I love my Nexus 5 even more.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Alex92

« Reply #820 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 21:37:57 »
The Nexus 5  :thumb:

Offline Seahawk

• Rubber Dome Enthusiast
« Reply #821 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 22:47:06 »
Moto X!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #822 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 00:31:25 »
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline hehenri

« Reply #823 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 13:56:42 »
Nexus 5  :cool:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #824 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 22:25:07 »
I want to buy a Galaxy S4 Mini, I know it is not the latest flagship with all the bells and whistles, but I just want a good android phone at a decent price, with a screen that does not make me feel I am speaking on my tablet.

Anyone with first hand experience with the mini? I have read many reviews already, pretty much all of them positive, but I would get some direct user feedback instead.

Thanks in advance  for any feedback.

Offline Cuxx

« Reply #825 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 02:59:07 »
private: Google Nexus 5 16GB D821 (int.) > atm with Paranoid Android
work: HTC One V (totally slow :D)

Offline Cheesebaron

• blog
« Reply #826 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 15:47:33 »
Right now I am sporting a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 running SlimKat. I got it after I smashed the screen on my Nexus 5 and wanted something that fit my hands better :D (I've got huge sauce pans for hands)

MINILA       Poker II       Model M
MX Blue      MX Blue       SSK '88

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #827 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 15:48:43 »
S5 :P
I love Elzy

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #828 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 15:53:58 »

Grats on the get lol
I just don't get how people put that thing in a pocket
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Av180

« Reply #829 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:50:40 »
Yeah I got the S5 a few weeks ago and love it. My old phone was a blackberry so this is a big step up.

KMAC 62g Clear
Poker 2 Stock Red
Leopold FC200RE Stock Clear

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #830 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:58:24 »
I want to buy a Galaxy S4 Mini, I know it is not the latest flagship with all the bells and whistles, but I just want a good android phone at a decent price, with a screen that does not make me feel I am speaking on my tablet.

Anyone with first hand experience with the mini? I have read many reviews already, pretty much all of them positive, but I would get some direct user feedback instead.

A friend of mine has one and he's happy with it.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline physicsmajor

« Reply #831 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 18:26:16 »
Republic Wireless Moto X, and seriously loving it.

I don't understand what any additional processing power, screen density, etc. would get me past this point except lower battery life.

Offline feizor

« Reply #832 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 19:08:02 »
Using nexus 5 with stock ROM, experiencing bad back light bleed in one corner, other than that, works great.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #833 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:17:38 »
naw this battery life though
I love Elzy

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #834 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:38:35 »

Grats on the get lol

I've recently started wearing Levi's 514 [finally found pants that fit right!] and don't have issue putting a Note 2 in my pockets, which are a bit smaller than I'm use to coming from Levi's 569. I would like to get into a S5 as well though, mother in-law took the OTA update on my Note 2 and it ended up causing all sorts of issues...

Offline blackbox

« Reply #835 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 04:51:16 »

Grats on the get lol

I've recently started wearing Levi's 514 [finally found pants that fit right!] and don't have issue putting a Note 2 in my pockets, which are a bit smaller than I'm use to coming from Levi's 569. I would like to get into a S5 as well though, mother in-law took the OTA update on my Note 2 and it ended up causing all sorts of issues...

And since then the note 2 wouldn't fit in your pocket? :p
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline feizor

« Reply #836 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 06:38:35 »

Grats on the get lol

You can fit the note 2 into the pockets of any pants, it purely depends on waist size.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #837 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 07:31:56 »

A friend of mine has one and he's happy with it.

Thank you for your answer. Being happy sounds good to me, but I am interested in some particulars with the phone.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #838 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 10:16:23 »

Nope, fits fine, even enough room to hold my girl's S3 when she doesn't want to carry it ~.~

note: both using TPU cases.

You can fit the note 2 into the pockets of any pants, it purely depends on waist size.

I'm a little guy for now (29" waist), but working on changing that  :p
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 May 2014, 10:21:28 by Skull_Angel »

Offline blackbox

« Reply #839 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 02:03:10 »

Nope, fits fine, even enough room to hold my girl's S3 when she doesn't want to carry it ~.~

note: both using TPU cases.

Ok, good.

The LAN table!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #840 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 13:42:44 »
Smartphones are pieces of crap. I haven't even seen one good enough to run Windows 98 yet.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #841 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 13:46:07 »
good enough to run Windows 98

Pretty sure every single smartphone since their existence has had better specs than any stock Windows 98 PC EVER.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline hehenri

« Reply #842 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 13:47:22 »
Smartphones are pieces of crap. I haven't even seen one good enough to run Windows 98 yet.

Maybe you should be head of Microsoft smartphone business  ;)

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #843 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 13:53:36 »

Pretty sure every single smartphone since their existence has had better specs than any stock Windows 98 PC EVER.

But they're designed so poorly that they still can't run it. That's why they're all pieces of ****.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #844 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 14:13:26 »

How do you define a "smartphone?

Offline blackbox

« Reply #845 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 14:15:21 »

But they're designed so poorly that they still can't run it. That's why they're all pieces of ****.

Shure about that?

The LAN table!

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #846 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:05:15 »
got HTC One M8 today.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #847 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:16:10 »

Shure about that?

Show Image

Was gona post something similar lol

Offline Raddam

« Reply #848 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:18:38 »
I have a Samsung Galaxy 4. It's a very good phone. Personally I hate Iphones. They aren't customizable enough for me. I can't wait for the Samsung note 4 or nexus 6. I really want to get a phablet. the s4 is surprisingly too small for me  :)).

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #849 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:27:30 »
I have a Samsung Galaxy 4. It's a very good phone. Personally I hate Iphones. They aren't customizable enough for me. I can't wait for the Samsung note 4 or nexus 6. I really want to get a phablet. the s4 is surprisingly too small for me  :)).

Can it run Windows 2000?