Author Topic: CHERRY's Offer to You  (Read 13029 times)

Offline russm

CHERRY's Offer to You
« on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:01:12 »
This thread has been locked because it violates the vendor terms of service agreement. We are currently discussing what actions to take in response. Please wait while we discuss the matter internally and with russm. Until then, we ask that everyone hold their interest. Thanks.

Good Day Geek Hack Community.
 I am a product marketing manager for CHERRY’s keyboard and mice division. I wanted to introduce myself and make an offer to the Geek Hack community. What I would like to propose would be to send one of our New MX 3.0 (Red Keys) boards to one of your skilled members, let them evaluate the board, then pass it along to the next member of the group Etc. to evaluate as you would like.
 I would expect nothing less than your honest thoughts posted on this board and for you to pass along the keyboard to the next member of your group for evaluation in the US ONLY. You can send me the individual scans of the freight receipts for the first 10 transfers and I will reimburse you for the first 10 receipts I get. I would propose a 2 month timeline to give as many of you as possible a chance to evaluate the MX 3.0 keyboard.
 I would consider whoever posted the fastest WPM on the unit on the web site would get to keep the board or whatever thoughts you would have would be fine for me.
The CHERRY USA Marketing team is excited to have some of the most knowledgeable keyboard enthusiast’s in the world give our company feedback on our new products and future enhancements.
 Please PM me or reply with any questions you have and if you agree to the proposal please advise me with an address and recipient’s name and I will ship the MX 3.0 keyboard to them.
If there is already an established process for submitting an item for your review, please advise.
Thank You for your time!
Russm

57988-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 March 2014, 01:39:21 by Moderation Team »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: CHERRY's Offer to You
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:04:13 »
Oh sweet a cherry rep is on GH!!!

Seeing as you are in wisconsin, could you make the 3.0 ANSI instead of ISO? I've always wanted to try a full board of reds

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:04:56 »
This is a neat offer! The model is effectively the same as community tours (like this one, if you're not already familiar with them), and I appreciate the added incentive of reimbursing some shipping costs.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:12:39 »
The first thing I'll tell you now I'm disappointed in, from what I understand the caps lock has a completely non-standard stem placement so we can't put our aftermarket keycaps on it. :(

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:13:42 »
Sadly I'm in Canada. Maybe if the highest posted WPM is lower than what I know I can beat I could be the last leg in the trip. ;D Half joking, half serious haha.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:34:47 »
This sort of thing has been done before; I'm thinking of the 'blue ALPs tour' -- only in this case the first 10 on the list wouldn't even have to pay shipping.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:35:08 »
If this is open to anyone I would be happy to be involved at some point.  Consider this me signing up if that's how the process goes.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:35:55 »
I'd like to be part of it

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:36:42 »
I'd gladly take a look at it.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:41:04 »
Fantastic!  Glad to have you on the forum, and I'd love to take a look at this keyboard. :D

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:44:37 »
Hopefully, this us legit.

We got to get this board to one of our members.

Yea, that caps lock stem issue is a real bummer. :(

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:52:54 »
Please let ivanivanovich be the first person you send it to.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:55:16 »
Ivanivanovich is a good candidate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 18:19:32 »
Fantastic idea!

@russm Manufacturers actually talking to the community is one of the best things that happens.  Second only to manufacturers taking community suggestions into consideration.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 18:28:07 »
Interesting. I think it would be best to limit this tour to those who like MX red (honor system?) so the evaluation will be of the board itself. On that basis, I'll recuse myself. I'm interested to hear what people think of the low profile caps and build quality.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 19:02:44 »
I'd like to test it. I can reach 197 WPM on typing tests and I have noticed keyboards that absolutely cannot stand up to my typing speed that manufacturers probably didn't have the resources to test for. If you let me test it, at least you'll be sure it's built for the fastest typists :)

HHKB (55g) | IBM SSK | Realforce 87U (55g) | Unicomp EnduraPro | KBT Oni

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 19:36:05 »
I would love to get in on this tour and write a review. Please add me to the list! :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 20:39:20 »
Awesome!  I'd love to be a part of it too...as long as no one minds me opening it up and taking pictures of the guts.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 21:47:18 »
I'd love to be a part of this!
It's always a pleasure to try new keyboards.

Reds are my favorite mx switches
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 March 2014, 22:58:42 by the1onewolf »

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 22:44:54 »
Not interested in reds, but I like the sentiment ! Also would like to buy those caps (ANSI tho)... ;)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 22:49:12 »
Not interested in reds, but I like the sentiment ! Also would like to buy those caps (ANSI tho)... ;)

The caps lock is between standard and offset so you'll have to stem mod it.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 22:53:51 »
To the designer of the board: Congratulations! This is the first board I've come across that I thought looked worse than a BWU. I thought that was pretty impossible until a moment ago. You've managed to make this board every bit as tacky as the BWU while simultaneously maximizing yawn factor. Quite a feat!!!

Rock on,

K

I mean yeesh... if you packaged this with a piece of poop you might actually get some press. Maybe.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline Sniping

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 22:59:08 »
a bit rude...

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:28:04 »
Savvy manufacturers are going to go where the profits are, and like it or not, "gamerz" are a big market. I'm just glad Cherry is seeking opinions from us enthusiasts too.

Offline russm

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:11:23 »
Great to see so many replies, I am going to leave it up to you how you would like to run this tour. I suppose a lot of you have been communicating here for some time so I will take your suggestions on how you would like to organize this tour. Might just want to build a list of names and then you all decide where and when I send the keyboard out to the first one on the list, it is up to you all. I will wait till first of next week and let the tour begin.
Thank You
Russm

Offline russm

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:25:18 »
The first thing I'll tell you now I'm disappointed in, from what I understand the caps lock has a completely non-standard stem placement so we can't put our aftermarket keycaps on it. :(
I am hoping to find out too!

Offline russm

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:27:47 »
If this is open to anyone I would be happy to be involved at some point.  Consider this me signing up if that's how the process goes.
It is open to anyone in US. How ever the GH community would like to set it up!

Offline russm

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:31:36 »
Hopefully, this us legit.

We got to get this board to one of our members.

Yea, that caps lock stem issue is a real bummer. :(
Good Day
 This is absolutely legit, please PM me and I will give you any information you want.

Offline russm

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:33:31 »
Fantastic idea!

@russm Manufacturers actually talking to the community is one of the best things that happens.  Second only to manufacturers taking community suggestions into consideration.

I have done the first part so I can hopefully do the second part.

Offline russm

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:35:18 »
I'd like to test it. I can reach 197 WPM on typing tests and I have noticed keyboards that absolutely cannot stand up to my typing speed that manufacturers probably didn't have the resources to test for. If you let me test it, at least you'll be sure it's built for the fastest typists :)
What ever you all decide, we will get the tour on the road  next week.

Offline russm

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:37:10 »
Just get a list started and you will get an opportunity to burn it up. I have a spare if needed!

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:39:40 »
I'll make a form tomorrow if nobody else does between that time

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:40:21 »
Another reason for me to hate on the US GH community :P :P :P
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:42:14 »
a bit rude...

I can see that. Not really my intent. I was shooting for honest (as requested in initial post) and funny. This is a corporation, after all: I'm kind of expecting them to have a thicker skin.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline russm

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:44:36 »
I have a bunch of units with browns coming in several months. I will do a tour wit one of those when thy get in if anyone would like!

Offline russm

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:47:56 »
These units were recently released in Europe and England as well.

Offline russm

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:50:22 »
a bit rude...
I do have a thicker skin and you are correct, looking for honesty!!!!
I can see that. Not really my intent. I was shooting for honest (as requested in initial post) and funny. This is a corporation, after all: I'm kind of expecting them to have a thicker skin.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:54:28 »
a bit rude...

Not a corporation, just another guy working for a corporation.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:57:35 »

We'll get whatever they decide on a few months afterwards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tbc

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 03:44:21 »
so they're sending the iso version? or was the op pic just for basic reference?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 08:04:51 »
Great to see so many replies, I am going to leave it up to you how you would like to run this tour. I suppose a lot of you have been communicating here for some time so I will take your suggestions on how you would like to organize this tour. Might just want to build a list of names and then you all decide where and when I send the keyboard out to the first one on the list, it is up to you all. I will wait till first of next week and let the tour begin.
Thank You
Russm

I'd also like to know if the keyboard will be ISO or ANSI. And I PMed russm who said that he'd like the community to make a list? I've quoted everyone who wanted a part of this. It would also be nice to get IvanIvanovitch in on this. Who else does everyone think should be included?

I'd like to be part of it

Fantastic!  Glad to have you on the forum, and I'd love to take a look at this keyboard. :D

I would love to get in on this tour and write a review. Please add me to the list! :D

I'd gladly take a look at it.

Awesome!  I'd love to be a part of it too...as long as no one minds me opening it up and taking pictures of the guts.

I'd love to be a part of this!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 08:11:45 »
You guys realize this is the same board that has been out for almost a year right?

Ivan shared his opinion here

Still 2 things for Cherry to fix I think. First, make the top straight across because that case is so ugly. Second, use the normal keycap not those crappy flat low profile one.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 08:19:00 »
You guys realize this is the same board that has been out for almost a year right?

Yes, but I haven't heard much about it and I like trying things for myself.

Ivan shared his opinion here

Still 2 things for Cherry to fix I think. First, make the top straight across because that case is so ugly. Second, use the normal keycap not those crappy flat low profile one.
Sounds like he just made those opinions based on looking at it and not actually trying it out.

Edit: Russm also just told me the board was just released in NA in December 2013 so this is still a new board to many of us. It's been out since December 2012 in Germany.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:31:03 by CPTBadAss »

Offline russm

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:34:13 »
Good Day
 I have seen Ivan's name used several times and have several reccommendation for him in some PM's I received. If you all want me to send the unit out to Ivanto start the tour , the communitty and Ivan need to let me know please.
Thank You
Russ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:41:57 »
In the past, the tours have been conducted in the order of when people signed up or geographically. You should pick how the order should go just to keep things simple.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:05:12 »
Good Day
 I have seen Ivan's name used several times and have several reccommendation for him in some PM's I received. If you all want me to send the unit out to Ivanto start the tour , the communitty and Ivan need to let me know please.
Thank You
Russ

I'd say go ahead and start with him as long as he wants to do it.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline russm

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 11:19:54 »
This sort of thing has been done before; I'm thinking of the 'blue ALPs tour' -- only in this case the first 10 on the list wouldn't even have to pay shipping.
I am making arrangements so all I need is a noteification that tester is done and I will put in a call tag to FedX to pick it up and ship to the next person so there will be no problems with shipping at all.
Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 March 2014, 11:29:20 by russm »

Offline russm

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 11:22:47 »
Please let Ivan know and see if Ivan would like to be first to receive board.
Thank You

Offline russm

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 11:48:57 »
In the past, the tours have been conducted in the order of when people signed up or geographically. You should pick how the order should go just to keep things simple.

That makes sense, I will wait till April 4th to give everybody a chance to say they want to participate . I have started a list in order of your post, please confirm you want to be on list or added.
 Here is a copy of guidelines from previous tour that will work for me and must have worked for the community:

Only members who have 250+ posts are allowed to participate.

This board uses a removable USB Cable (included)and is an ANSI board.

Please review the tour terms (below) and post in this thread to be added to the tour (let me know which state you live in!).

Terms of the tour: 
-You get one week or less with the board...then you must call me so I can issue a call tag and have unit picked up and sent to the next participant. It wil cost you nothing for shipping!!!
- I would ask that you post a review of the board and the WPM you were able to acheive useing the MX 3.0 board for the contest.   
-Tour is CONUS only.
-I reserve the right to shift around tour participants in order minimize the keyboard's time in-transit.
-Tour will commence April 4th and end as the last participant post their reveiw and WPM winner is decided.
-Participant who post the fastest WPM(Honor System Folks) will have the board shipped to them at the end of the tour. If for some reason the board isn't respectable for the winner at the end of the tour I will ship out a new board!

I will wait and see if Ivan would like to start it off ,if not maybe Binge would like to be the kick off tester.If I don't hear back from either of these two members by the 4th of April I will pick the first user randomly.

Please confirm you want to be on this list and PM me your shipping address if you do.
Thank You
Russm

List in order of your post:
1. Waiting for Initial Tester
2. Pacifist
3. riotonthebay
4. AKmalamute
5. HoffmanMyster
6. exitfire401
7. hashbaz
8. Latin00032
9. Techno Trousers
10. Shyfe
11. CPTBadAss
12. nubbinator 
13. the1onewolf
14. dante
16.Air Tree

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 March 2014, 23:27:53 by russm »

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 18:43:08 »
Sure. I'm not that well known but as with many here, spend a lot of my time at a computer, so I would have opinions. And I already know my WPM will be in the neighborhood of 60 ... has been across multiple keyboards so far.

Southern corner of Washington state, along the I-5 corridor; it says as much in my profile. I'll PM you shortly should I be accepted into the secret club of factory sponsored reviewers.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user