Author Topic: Siig Minitouch (XM)  (Read 3280 times)

Offline arfink

Siig Minitouch (XM)
« on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:48:19 »
So this is a really short review of my new Siig Minitouch with XM switches. (They're basically Alps clones)

First, a word about my bias. I have spent the last couple of years using an IBM PC XT keyboard (Model F) almost exclusively. I'm coming from a world with very firm keypresses, amazing smoothness and feel, and the constant klack-ping of buckling springs against the Model F's distinctive little "feet" on the bottom of each spring that brush against the metal backed PCB and make the distinctive "ping" this keyboard is known for. I love my model F, and I was convinced I would never give it up. But more and more I find that I have to travel, and the size and weight of the Model F, while imposing and great looking, was no good in my laptop bag. The keyboard weighed more than my formidable full sized ASUS U48 laptop, and was significantly larger too. I couldn't bear typing on the laptop's mush-mush board at work, even a few days a week, so I decided to get something smaller.

On impulse I went to the sales board and found a NIB Siig Minitouch. Here's my impressions after using it for a couple of hours.

First, this thing is not as smooth as the Model F. It's taken some getting used to. My Model F was virtually unused when I bought it, and even from day one it was never this stiff. I trust that the stiffness will subside with time. Well, I hope it will. :P The tactile bump is also almost jarring in its severity, but I'm fairly sure this will decrease once this board has seen some serious use. I also have found that hastily stabbing the Enter key with my pinky does not produce the clear actuation I was used to on the Model F, sometimes failing to actuate and turning sideways a little bit, sticking. I am unsure if time or lubrication would fix this, but maybe it will.

The laser marked key caps have a strange but pleasant feeling under my fingers. YMMV, but I kinda like it. Already I can feel the location of certain keys just from the legend, and it's kinda nice.

What I have found most jarring is the Caps key being in the place where I now instinctively expect Control to be. That habit I may never un-learn. We'll see.

I do like some things about this board besides the laser-marked caps though. I like the function keys, and the presence of arrow keys. I like having F11 and F12 back, something I did miss on the Model F. I like that it's much smaller, and I like the sound it makes. But I don't know if it'll completely replace my Model F. I would rather type on this at work than on my laptop keyboard, for sure, but I do not think I would prefer this over my Model F.

I think when I got this board I had higher expectations than I should have as well. I looked at the form factor and the fact that it had Alps clones and thought it would be like the pleasant experience I remember with my Apple IIgs keyboard, but in a 60% format. It really isn't like that at all. But for what it is (an inexpensive and utilitarian small-form keyboard) it gets the job done. If I decide I hate it in a couple of months maybe I'll put it in the workshop next to my laser cutter. I don't have much room on the laser bench for a full size keyboard, and this would be a better fit than the full size membrane piece of junk I have there now. ;)

Offline intelli78

Re: Siig Minitouch (XM)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 06:02:59 »
1. The Enter keys on Minitouches are stabilized the wrong direction (up and down on the right side of the key, not left-right). Not a good design.

2. Use software to remap Caps Lock.

3. I like my Siig Minitouch with Monterey Blues as well. Some people criticize the layout, but I don't think it's bad at all. The Blues are probably my favorite clicky switch. I haven't tried XM yet.

Glad you are enjoying the board! Minitouches are fun. By the way, what PS2-USB adapter are you using? My blue cube does not work with my Minitouch -- I had to pick up an alternate unit.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:20:36 »
Like intelli78 said, I'm a big fan of my Siig Minitouch with Monterey Blue Alps. It's too bad about the XM switches, perhaps you'll enjoy Monterey Blues as well?

Offline arfink

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 18:36:27 »
Well, like I mentioned, I'm probably highly biased after years of nothing but Model F. And I'm gonna give this Minitouch a good bashing over the next couple weeks and report back if it feels any less stiff after being broken in.