Author Topic: StarCraft II with GeekHack  (Read 164525 times)

Offline Azuremen

StarCraft II with GeekHack
« on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 21:15:42 »
Well, I've seen the game's name pop in new member threads, people looking for ideal keyboards, and mention of pro players. Figured a thread might be in order as more and more SCII players seem to be making their way here from OCN, TL, Reddit, and so on.

So, figured I'd make a thread trying to consolidate said interest. So, who plays SC2? :P Perhaps we can get a practice going for some players, or replay submission for review - I know some people are learning the game from a fresh RTS background, and peer input is awesome to have when people actually have a clue what they are talking about (and I am assuming some people have a clue) so others can learn. I'll put a list of people together on Geekhack that play, provided they want to be on it, and update in this first post.

As for myself, I've been playing SC and BW since their release, and WarCraft 2 before that. Played in the SC2 Beta, playing Random till Phase 2, where I settled on Protoss (was also a Protoss in BW) and placed Diamond. I've been less active in ladder but fairly consistent in my practice, where my regular practice group is around 2000+ points Diamond. I like giving feedback and input on play and such.

So, talk about StarCraft! GSL, MLG, your games, your mom's games, whatever.

GeekHack SC2 Player list

Azuremen - gtAzire.359
jimmy919 - Junior
godamajin - Fuqnaround
Daniel Beaver - Beaver.399
elbowglue - Elbowglue.640
Viett - Viett
AndrewZorn - AndrewZorn.843
CodeChef - Sinasis.908
ShoeFactory - Shoey.467
mian2222 - Grace.256
jdreamer - DreameR.825
dareuhl - dareUHL.682
whiterice - wang.700
BlueRain - Blue.517
NewbieOneKenobi - Newbieone.967 (EU)
DanGWanG - Wang.187
cometbus - cometbus.465
shablaGOO - shablaGOO.870
sawedust - sawedust.851
Qwerty - Mittens.506
slueth - Novelty.500
speakeasy - SpeaKEaSY.238
Kelsin - Kelsin.935
Satisfaktion - Satisfaktion.885
sinani206 - Sinani.145
XiP - XiP.893
NeverDie - NeverDie.804
Chojo31 - chojo.488
PerfectError - Perfecterror.170
qvidtar - Qvindtar.277
Nautilus - Nautilus.267
shako - Shako.512 (EU)
Valeranth - brandon.1823
krull - Krull.805
skyblue - skyblue.775
hfcobra - CobR.561
sndstrm - sndstrm.186
circularboxes - Bonar.240
vincewchan - Vitamin.613
systemA - Bubbles.557
Zet - Zet.291
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2011, 14:52:10 by Azuremen »
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 21:44:22 »
I got SC2 digital version off battle.net itself a couple of days ago. The price was good, 30 euro or something. I've done 6 missions in the campaign, played some vs computer and managed to get gold in all of the challenges.

I've played SC1 before but probably never in multiplayer. Didn't manage to beat the BW campaign, either. Warcraft 3 and 2 too. I was probably somewhat better than average in multiplayer.

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 21:54:19 »
noob SCII player here. but.the game is truly entertaining even i get owned or pawned all the time lol.

Offline jimmy919

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 21:56:20 »
I'm a big Starcraft 2 player as it's one of the few games that doesn't make me motion-sick.  Played SC1 in high school, college, and for several years after college (isn't that the sign of a great game?).  Played SC2 while in beta, and then tons more after it came out.  I play Random, but would say I'm most proficient with Zerg or Protoss.  

I'd be down for playing with other GeekHack folks.  Here's my profile info off of Battle.net

My Cherry G80-11900LUMEU-2 just arrived today and I'm giving those MX Blacks a spin.  Don't like the super-small Ctrl button for SC2, but the keys feel good and at $40 off eBay, way better than buying one of those SteelSeries 6GV2s or Razer BlackWidows.
Currently Using:  Filco MX Blue Tenkeyless with GeekHack Double-shot Keycaps

Offline godamajin

StarCraft II is the reason I'm here.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 06:45:04 »
Actually my finding this site can't be blamed on Blizzard alone. You see, I enjoy games. I love them so much that I will upgrade or adjust every component or setting until I reach that sweet spot where the mouse sensitivity is extraordinary and you online experience gaming is wonderful and LAGLESS. This is after hours of mouse fix, video field of vision adjustment to config files in the game root directory so you get that perfect crisp text with image quality that drinks you inside a very real world blocking out any hint that you left the physical plane via mental craft work only skilled game developers code into your preexisting addictive personality. Sadly these settings come at huge cost in time searching out specific forums for those extra tips others have tried and took the time to share. Still more cost comes at the frustration you get when you realize that the settings, while ideal for Battlefield Bad Company do not carry over to Modern Warfare or Star Craft. Whats more,I've sunk thousands of dollars just on mice, keyboards and audio equipment (earphones and speakers), gimmick game surfaces, ergonomic chairs and arm rests. An equal amount thrown at getting my windows experience to provide me a solid 7.6 and a consistent 200 fps on my favorite first person shooter. Then Star Craft blows all my performance to hell. luck to get 60 fps per game and lag is unplayable at times. I find myself getting worse and they have demoted me from 2 leagues already. I have sent them a rage email for which I later sent an apology to Blizzard to which they replied with a lol.

I live near Blizzard and have friends that work there yet I can't progress at these games. It comes down to the fact that I am easily flustered when harassed, I am weak psychologically. This is what I have determined finally through the above process of elimination. That for all the resources both real and virtual I spend trying to put myself in an advantage over an opponent, an early worker rush or harass will deflate me rather easily causing a rash of cursing and table pounding and a quick alt+F4.
But Im always down to playhttp://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1333132/1/Fuqnaround/
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 06:53:07 by godamajin »

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 09:57:55 »
My BNet profile page. Add me, I like playing, Beaver#399. My computer is still en-route down to Puerto Rico, but once it gets here I'll have time again to play.

The next patch is likely to implement chat channel support in Battle.net, so we should set up a GeekHack channel.

Go Jinro!
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 19:56:54 by Daniel Beaver »

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline kriminal

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 10:11:42 »
puerto rico eh?!? your're probably my closest geekhacker...
i have played SC since the original release, so far after a couple months of played sc2 competitively i have lost interest.. :(
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 10:57:21 »
Quote from: godamajin;258579
Actually my finding this site can't be blamed on Blizzard alone. You see, I enjoy games. I love them so much that I will upgrade or adjust every component or setting until I reach that sweet spot where the mouse sensitivity is extraordinary and you online experience gaming is wonderful and LAGLESS. This is after hours of mouse fix, video field of vision adjustment to config files in the game root directory so you get that perfect crisp text with image quality that drinks you inside a very real world blocking out any hint that you left the physical plane via mental craft work only skilled game developers code into your preexisting addictive personality. Sadly these settings come at huge cost in time searching out specific forums for those extra tips others have tried and took the time to share. Still more cost comes at the frustration you get when you realize that the settings, while ideal for Battlefield Bad Company do not carry over to Modern Warfare or Star Craft. Whats more,I've sunk thousands of dollars just on mice, keyboards and audio equipment (earphones and speakers), gimmick game surfaces, ergonomic chairs and arm rests. An equal amount thrown at getting my windows experience to provide me a solid 7.6 and a consistent 200 fps on my favorite first person shooter. Then Star Craft blows all my performance to hell. luck to get 60 fps per game and lag is unplayable at times. I find myself getting worse and they have demoted me from 2 leagues already. I have sent them a rage email for which I later sent an apology to Blizzard to which they replied with a lol.

I live near Blizzard and have friends that work there yet I can't progress at these games. It comes down to the fact that I am easily flustered when harassed, I am weak psychologically. This is what I have determined finally through the above process of elimination. That for all the resources both real and virtual I spend trying to put myself in an advantage over an opponent, an early worker rush or harass will deflate me rather easily causing a rash of cursing and table pounding and a quick alt+F4.
But Im always down to playhttp://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1333132/1/Fuqnaround/

Hey. I don't like some of the typical features of Blizzard ladders but I guess they're similar in all fps: full-time multiplayer players play the game in a much different way from those who mostly play single-player and jump from game to game. Specific, time-tweaked build orders, heavy use of hotkeys, some people with great Internet connections and very powerful rigs that can have 60 fps and near-0 ping, youngsters with agile fingers etc.

Myself, I'm kinda slow (getting thirtyish) and not that great at multi-tasking (poor fine motorics and coordination according to some examination back in highschool), with a tendency to limit the effort to what will suffice as opposed to putting in the max. This way I just can't produce the same war effort as the pros (who actually tend to have a life) or the "gosus". And I get frustrated too when there's too much monkey business going on, such as insane micro (dancing the units) or fast-expanding all over the map with 100000 towers. Thankfully, there's not so much of the latter with Starcraft II as with Warcraft 3. However, it is much easier to overpower an unprepared enemy, especially if you catch him by surprise. Just fly some tanks and marines over in the medivacs that serve as dropships... deploy the tanks in siege mode, guard them with marines with plenty of healing (after all, you needed quite a lot of medivacs to carry the tanks). If he doesn't have his own tanks, you're in trouble. Same way, players caught without a fleet or when you actually pull off a massive ground army (e.g. thors) when your opponent is trying to be fancy. In such situations, generally the best economist wins unless the micro kid can mess his unit AI beyond repair or a good strategist manages to strike swiftly where it hurts.

Sorry for ranting.

By the way, guys, be warned there might be some problems with Crossfire or SLI in Starcraft 2. Some people claim it works fine (doing what it's supposed to do), others get better performance when they disable it. Newest drivers supposedly help and there were rumours of some patch from Blizzard helping matters (before, they said there was no coding in SC2 to take advantage of multiple card setups).
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 10:59:32 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline Manyak

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:12:26 »
Quote from: godamajin;258579
Actually my finding this site can't be blamed on Blizzard alone. You see, I enjoy games. I love them so much that I will upgrade or adjust every component or setting until I reach that sweet spot where the mouse sensitivity is extraordinary and you online experience gaming is wonderful and LAGLESS. This is after hours of mouse fix, video field of vision adjustment to config files in the game root directory so you get that perfect crisp text with image quality that drinks you inside a very real world blocking out any hint that you left the physical plane via mental craft work only skilled game developers code into your preexisting addictive personality. Sadly these settings come at huge cost in time searching out specific forums for those extra tips others have tried and took the time to share.

Well, if you decide you want the best screen in the world to game on too, I've got a GDM-FW900 for sale. :)
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:23:31 »
Nice Maynak - how much you selling it for? What do you think about the FW-900 vs the new 120hz lcd monitors?

Here's my profile:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1200934/1/Elbowglue/
Currently #431 in the world and #121 in the US in random 2v2 according to sc2ranks.com. (hellll yeah)

Not that I have any skill, 2v2 is a funny bird, but a bird I usually know how to cook.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:14:50 »
Hot damn that's a lot of 2v2 games. I find multi-team play much more difficult than 1v1.

For those of you who are worried about skills, we can always play a 4v4, or a comp stomp. Starcraft is, unfortunately, a game where skill disparities are amplified.

Manyak: Yum. Outside my budget, unfortunately.

Offline Twitchy

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:29:51 »
Nearly 40 years old + First non-console game in over 20 years + More time spent watching MLG/GSL/Day[9] than spent playing = Very few games won

I'm still loving it though :)
Stuff
Filco Majestouch FKBN88M/UKB2
Topre Realforce 91UBY
Razer Imperator + Razer Vespula[/COLOR]

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 12:55:10 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;258772
Hot damn that's a lot of 2v2 games. I find multi-team play much more difficult than 1v1.

For those of you who are worried about skills, we can always play a 4v4, or a comp stomp. Starcraft is, unfortunately, a game where skill disparities are amplified.

Yeah that explains why I hardly ever post on Geekhack anymore.

We should play a 4v4 have Mic on all the time.  That would be kinda funny to have all the click and clack obscuring our ability to communicate :)
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline shmithers

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 13:35:43 »
I seem to be watching more Starcraft than I am playing. I qualified as silver when I first got the game, but after countless hours of watching day9, build order practicing, custom playing I feel like I should be at least gold, but I still have to play some League games to see how I am doing.

My main problem is I can't seem to multi task enough mid to late game. (I can't even properly macro off of 3 base, 2 base seems to be where is at for me :P

Anyway:

GO JINRO:

Offline Manyak

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 14:59:46 »
Quote from: elbowglue;258737
Nice Maynak - how much you selling it for? What do you think about the FW-900 vs the new 120hz lcd monitors?

Believe me, for video games there is NOTHING like a good CRT. Right now I'm using a Dell U3011 (brand new 30" 12-bit IPS) and I still think the FW-900 blows it away. And if you think the 120Hz LCDs have smooth motion in games, think again. Besides the ghosting (which if you can't notice right now you will notice after using a CRT), the colors are also very inaccurate on those panels because they're made for speed.

I'm very reluctant to give it up, but there's some sort of interference in my new office/computer room (we moved) that causes the image to jiggle. If I take it to the opposite side of my house (the dining room) it works fine, but it's not like I can set my PC up over there. So I got screwed into selling it :(

Either way, I'm asking for $400 + shipping.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 15:03:57 by Manyak »
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline Viett

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 15:11:07 »
I've played SC since I was about 11 until when SCII Beta came out. Now I play SCII fairly regularly.

My profile.

I mostly play 2v2s with a partner I've had since the old BW 2v2 Python days.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 15:42:42 »
Quote from: elbowglue;258737

The 120hz LCDs are 80-85% as good as a CRT but they will never be as good, nor any LCD except maybe some of those very high-end, high-bit color LCDs and even then there are limits.

Most if not all LCDs have some input lag, there are a few LCDs with no input lag and some with enabled modes that allow for no input lag. Also paying for the quality of better colors and better panels like some of those 1000-5000+ dollar plus monitors and you better believe they will have very high levels of input lag 25-50ms+. So yet again you have a trade off either you go TN panel and 120hz or pay a little more for color quality and stick with 60hz. On a higher end CRT you get both in particular to aperture grille-style CRTs.

The response time(amount of time it takes for pixels to change state) of a CRT is around the high nanosecond, low microsecond if they are of good quality and have good quality phosphors. That's one to two magnitudes lower than an LCD. On an LCD the response time is 2-8ms but that's for WtW, BtB, GtG not for the other colors(which is ironic because LCDs can never display black due to being indirect light and yet they can do so quickly) and that's response time on top of refresh rate. So if your LCD is 60hz(or 1000/60 = 16.6666667 milliseconds), the WtW, GtG, BtB is 16.68(rounded) + 2-8ms. As for the other colors that number ranges from the refresh rate itself(some colors on some panels can be as fast) all the way up and over 100 milliseconds and that's on top of the refresh rate.

A 2003 google archive article I read a few years ago comparing a CRT vs an LCD even though TN panels made cheap ass CRTs look like ****. Even the cheapest crappiest, headache causing, eye murdering CRT still had a truer refresh rate and a response time that was 1-2 magnitudes better. Despite the fact that some of them had such low quality phosphors that they would actually have phosphor decay for several milliseconds even flickering at refresh rates like 80-90Hz.

Refresh rate though is the best part of a CRT. Being able to see more complete frames or having a bigger divisor to divide larger and or smaller frame rates. Despite the fact the FW900 has a weaker ramdac compared to say it's younger cousin the GDM-F520 or some of the other aperture grille CRTs like the Nec diamondtrons. It more than makes up for it with it's image quality, despite having lesser refresh rate and being widescreen.

FW900 1920x1080 100hz

Despite the fact that's a video and there's a limit to how much you can see. I can easily tell that monitor has some amazing colors through the video.

This is the big thread on the FW900, there's even a post to modify the sharpness of the monitor using it's internal knobs, seems dangerous though.

Unfortunately it's a CRT, which was discontinued over 6 or 7 years ago. Like many high-end CRTs no matter how careful you preserve them they are well aged and considering how much more a monitor is used compared to a CRT television. They just don't last as long as a CRT TV, if someone came out and said they are going to make brand new CRT monitor using the latest electronics and making it energy efficient and whatnot with better more modern parts, so many people would jump on buying one.

There are some people who took gaming so seriously on CRTs that literally it changed their vision on how they played games. I recall running into a number of CRT users who said when they played on LCDs it was a slide show literally. Some of these people were gaming on refresh rates as high as 200Hz, so what they saw was vastly different then an LCD user. So much so some quit gaming and some who didn't understand it was the CRT itself that helped them out, when they moved to LCD or their CRT died and they had no alternative.

Like Manyak has posted quite a few times the 3 most important peripherals are the monitor, mouse, and keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 15:49:03 by Arc'xer »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 15:47:18 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;259045

There are some people who took gaming so seriously on CRTs that literally it changed their vision on how they played games. I recall running into a number of CRT users who said when they played on LCDs it was a slide show literally. Some of these people were gaming on refresh rates as high as 200Hz, so what they saw was vastly different then an LCD user. So much so some quit gaming and some who didn't understand it was the CRT itself that helped them out.

Is this like how ppl in those 1v1 fighting games like tekken or street fighter can "count frames".

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 15:51:06 »
damn.  I need to start horking these old KB's that I don't use and save up for that FW900.  I used to have insufficient desk space for such a beast but now I might cause I put my keyboard onto a keyboard tray..  I'll PM ya if I can scratch up the dough. :)

My dilemma is that with a good CRT I need my system to crank out probably 100 fps constant on whatever game I want to play.  Currently I use a Dell 2209wa overclocked to 74hz refresh, running at 1680x1050.  I have a 4:3 dell trinitron CRT but because of the aspect ratio on it I don't want to lose the side parts of my vision on SC2, thus I would have to run it with black bars on top and bottom.  So the only CRT that I know of that is native wide screen in the FW900, but I'd need to pretty much build a new system to get the 100fps on SC2 to drive the monitor to it's fullest extent..  too bad money dosen't grow on trees.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:12:11 by elbowglue »

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:03:08 »
Quote from: Lanx;259049
Is this like how ppl in those 1v1 fighting games like tekken or street fighter can "count frames".

I've never heard of said "counting". I have read of people timing their actions to certain frame rates of a move. Like canceling an action within the specific area to chain it to another or something.

But I think that's more of a practice muscle memory thing.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:06:03 »
Quote from: Manyak;258969

I'm very reluctant to give it up, but there's some sort of interference in my new office/computer room (we moved) that causes the image to jiggle. If I take it to the opposite side of my house (the dining room) it works fine, but it's not like I can set my PC up over there. So I got screwed into selling it :(

Either way, I'm asking for $400 + shipping.

Make sure there are no magnets, AC adapters, or speakers near your monitor. I've had similar interference issues with my CRT's before.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Manyak

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 18:05:18 »
Quote from: elbowglue;259055
damn.  I need to start horking these old KB's that I don't use and save up for that FW900.  I used to have insufficient desk space for such a beast but now I might cause I put my keyboard onto a keyboard tray..  I'll PM ya if I can scratch up the dough. :)

My dilemma is that with a good CRT I need my system to crank out probably 100 fps constant on whatever game I want to play.  Currently I use a Dell 2209wa overclocked to 74hz refresh, running at 1680x1050.  I have a 4:3 dell trinitron CRT but because of the aspect ratio on it I don't want to lose the side parts of my vision on SC2, thus I would have to run it with black bars on top and bottom.  So the only CRT that I know of that is native wide screen in the FW900, but I'd need to pretty much build a new system to get the 100fps on SC2 to drive the monitor to it's fullest extent..  too bad money dosen't grow on trees.

Alright, let me know :)

It's hard to sell these online because shipping is so expensive and has to be arranged freight, and there's never a demand for anything locally, so I might have it for a while.

Quote from: microsoft windows;259065
Make sure there are no magnets, AC adapters, or speakers near your monitor. I've had similar interference issues with my CRT's before.

I've tried flipping the breaker to cut power to this whole room, and then run an extension cord out to the dining room and plugged the monitor into a laptop on battery power. It didn't help.

Right now my best guess is the AC mains, since they're brought in right behind this wall on my left. And there isn't crap I can do about it.
Currently Owned:

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 19:50:10 »
We should play a 4v4 have Mic on all the time. That would be kinda funny to have all the click and clack obscuring our ability to communicate :)
I keep my ventrilo chat with my mic on continuously, and my friends all ***** about my Filco with blues constantly. It's awesome.

And CRTs... CRTs are dreamy. After my monitor got stolen last year, I connected my space 19" CRT and played a bit of Modern Warfare 2 on it at 85Hz. To call it dramatically smoother is an understatement. But alas, I have no desk space.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 20:15:37 »
Wait, someone was saying 60 FPS is unplayable in SC2? Most pros just use the lowest graphics settings anyhow. And any gains of a higher refresh rate won't matter in a game like SC2, since there isn't anywhere near the need for twitch actions that depend on a key frame, but rather sound thought processes and problem assessment.

And wow, a lot of people playing team games. Though I guess that is more common these days. I just find team games skew massively towards "all-in" types of builds, rather than sound fundamental play styles.

Virtually nothing tends to translate from 2v2 to 1v1, aside maybe macro mechanics, which can always be practiced. And 2v2 and such tend to make you dependent on having an ally in those panic type situations where you get caught off guard or dropped, etc.

The best way to improve is in 1v1 games, though not ladder games necessarily. Practice games with friends so you can work out how to defend against something that is really bothering you is very, very helpful.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Flickr

Offline Twitchy

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 03:13:14 »
I spend so much time in real life (which has a refresh rate of like a gazillion hertz) that I can see the electron beam scanning my CRT.:twitch:
Stuff
Topre Realforce 91UBY

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 21:31:35 »
I played SC2 quite a bit last two months, always trying to get at least 1 game a day in but I can't deal with it anymore, my laptop makes the game lag so horribly that it honestly makes me play worse (15-20 fps tops)... Even Minecraft (which is now my main game) is unplayable with graphics on fancy and render distance to far. With gfx on fast it only lags a *bit* (30ish fps regular)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline Twitchy

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 00:33:11 »
Quote from: shmithers;258868
GO JINRO:
Show Image

This.

I'll be supporting Jinro today, but a victory for him will leave me with mixed feelings as it will knock out the last Protoss and leave us with a TvT final (I had hoped that HongUnPrime would knock out Rain so we'd have a 'toss in the final and my friends could stop whining about how disadvantaged the Protoss race is!).
Stuff
Topre Realforce 91UBY

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 01:36:01 »
I play SC2 on SEA and US region servers.

Mostly Storm of the imperial sanctum mod map :X

I find it funny how they have a branded sc2 keyboard. As if that somehow necessarily makes it better for sc2  hehe :X
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 03:51:13 »
I play SC2 sometimes too, but I'm pretty awful at it. I guess I should maybe stick at it and try and get good, but I just don't think I'm cut out for playing RTS games :(

Quote from: Daniel Beaver;259208
I keep my ventrilo chat with my mic on continuously, and my friends all ***** about my Filco with blues constantly. It's awesome.

And CRTs... CRTs are dreamy. After my monitor got stolen last year, I connected my space 19" CRT and played a bit of Modern Warfare 2 on it at 85Hz. To call it dramatically smoother is an understatement. But alas, I have no desk space.

160hz on my Mitshubishi Diamond 220. I can't describe how moist 163FPS and 160hz feels in quake 3.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 03:56:35 by Scarzy »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 08:29:28 »
I'm always looking to play, regardless of skill difference.

1v1: Gold, but rising fast and certain to be in Plat soon
2v2: Plat, but just demoted after being in Diamond for months, will be back soon

EDIT I am AndrewZorn#843
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 08:33:17 by AndrewZorn »

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:42:45 »
Well, I'm excited for the GSL finals now. Though not going to say anything here just yet since I imagine many people have not yet had the time to watch the games (I stayed up to watch them live)

I've also started updating the first post with a list of GeekHackers that play SC2 and have provided some of their info. Though it would be nice to get everyone's ID number as well, since it apparently isn't shown on the B.net page (from what I can tell)

Also, would anyone be interested in a King of the Hill or such between the GH'ers? Just as a casual serious of games perhaps to practice and have fun with.
Flickr

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 20:04:07 »
Oh, yeah.

Sinasis #908

I'm pretty bad (I would say I'm mid-to-high silver but I play in high bronze)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 10:15:27 »
Elbowglue #640 here

Whats your ID azureman?

Offline ShoeFactory

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 11:43:12 »
Shoey.467 here

I'm a 2550 diamond zerg.

I got my first mechanical keyboard (compaq mx11800) a couple of weeks ago and am new to these forums. There was a big buzz in the sc2 community when fruitdealer won GSL1 and he used a filco -- partially the reason I'm here. Are there any other TLers here?

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 11:55:42 »
Quote from: ShoeFactory;261366
Shoey.467 here

I'm a 2550 diamond zerg.

I got my first mechanical keyboard (compaq mx11800) a couple of weeks ago and am new to these forums. There was a big buzz in the sc2 community when fruitdealer won GSL1 and he used a filco -- partially the reason I'm here. Are there any other TLers here?

Wow

I frequent the forums, but am nowhere near as good as you.  How's the Compaq working for you in SC2?  I couldn't get used to the feel, and mine has been in the box since I bought it (yes, my feel-testing was conducted with the keyboard in the box).

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 12:06:20 »

Welcome shoefactory.  Consider taking a hacksaw to your MX11800(link) to get rid of the trackball and tenkeyless section.  Also, after you open it up I would suggest using some foamy type tape onto the PCB to stabilize it in relation to the case.  It makes the keyboard feel much nicer and less flexy.  Awesome choice of first keyboard, it is my daily work keyboard.

Offline ShoeFactory

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 13:43:42 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;261370
Wow

I frequent the forums, but am nowhere near as good as you.  How's the Compaq working for you in SC2?  I couldn't get used to the feel, and mine has been in the box since I bought it (yes, my feel-testing was conducted with the keyboard in the box).

The compaq is great. I love the feel of it, it's a pleasure to type and play on. I'm definitely keeping the compaq until I get a premium keyboard like a filco (not in too much of a rush because I am liking this compaq.

Quote from: elbowglue;261374
Welcome shoefactory.  Consider taking a hacksaw to your MX11800(link) to get rid of the trackball and tenkeyless section.  Also, after you open it up I would suggest using some foamy type tape onto the PCB to stabilize it in relation to the case.  It makes the keyboard feel much nicer and less flexy.  Awesome choice of first keyboard, it is my daily work keyboard.

Oh that foam is a really good idea. I've been wondering about the PBC flex -- I'll do that today. The trackball is pretty ugly; i might indeed cut that off.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 15:18:14 »
You may find that you like the compaq better than the filco (which I personaly do).  Bottoming out on the compaq MX11800 is very nice, wherehas bottoming out on the filco is like running into a metal wall.

If you read in the compaq mx11800 hacksaw thread, there is a point where I have a picture that says "ricercar cut here" - if you cut it along that line there is no need for soldering.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 15:58:14 »
Shoey.467 here

I'm a 2550 diamond zerg.

I use TL as a resource, but rarely post on the forums at this point. There just isn't that much good info in the strategy section and I just get news from my mumble group.

As for the keyboards, I actually got pointed towards keyboards after I tested some Razer gear at PAX, namely the Marauder (woo APM). Which got me looking into keyboards and ultimately resulted in me ending up here after realizing info here is far better than at OCN.

And a good zerg is scary. My practice partner for my PvZ is around that level and I'm honestly at a loss.

Quote from: elbowglue;261338
Elbowglue #640 here

Whats your ID azureman?

Oh, I'll put it up there I guess.

gtAzire - 359

I've not laddered much recently and so my ranking is just not a good idicator of my play level. 930 point bonus pool and my MMR puts me against 2000 point players (which can be depressingly bad)
Flickr

Offline mian2222

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 21:19:29 »
Hey, I'm Grace 256. I would love to play with you guys. I'm only named Grace after my good friend. I'm not a she. So don't hit on me. Or hit on me whatever. :P. I'm not very good, made it to Gold League but deserve to be on Bronze (really).

Also, off topic but if you any of you guys play Heroes of Newerth (I play HoN much more) I'm ohboymyo. I used to be good but after like a 30 game losing streak seems like I suck at this game too! Oh well, add me if you ever play this!

I also just joined GH a few weeks ago. Having fun learning a lot about keyboards.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 21:34:38 »
Is there even a way to add a person without the code or email?

EDIT finished adding everyone I could, add me!  And if anyone uses Xfire, I'm AndrewZorn.  As I don't run SC2 in the background all day, that's probably a better way to find me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 December 2010, 21:38:04 by AndrewZorn »

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 21:41:25 »
right click, and add as friend.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 21:42:53 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;261564

EDIT finished adding everyone I could, add me!  And if anyone uses Xfire, I'm AndrewZorn.  As I don't run SC2 in the background all day, that's probably a better way to find me.

Be friends with them on Facebook?

Speaking of which... GEEKHACK FACEBOOK GROUP!
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 23:06:43 »
Quote from: fssbzz;261567
right click, and add as friend.

...if I'm in the game, but how do I do it if I can't see their profile in the game?  That's what I'm saying.

Short of doing sc2ranks searches, which I'm not willing.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 00:24:25 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;261587
...if I'm in the game, but how do I do it if I can't see their profile in the game?  That's what I'm saying.

Short of doing sc2ranks searches, which I'm not willing.

Match history is the easiest way to add people without their friend codes.

I spent some time in team games today and mass 3/3 marines with medivacs are hilarious. 113 marines and 19 medivacs at the end of the game. Ruined so many lives.
Flickr

Offline mian2222

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 01:05:08 »
Yeah I think its unfortunate Bnet decided to forego unique identities. It was much easier to friend back then. Now you're only supposed to friend people you know or something.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 10:08:48 »
Quote from: Azuremen;261600

I spent some time in team games today and mass 3/3 marines with medivacs are hilarious. 113 marines and 19 medivacs at the end of the game. Ruined so many lives.

Right, but having not played these people, I cannot do that.  My point is that I think we need emails or ID#s to be able to add the people that want to play.

Quote from: mian2222;261606
Yeah I think its unfortunate Bnet decided to forego unique identities. It was much easier to friend back then. Now you're only supposed to friend people you know or something.

I was going to start agreeing with you, and then transition into Battle.net 2.0 hatred, but it's better just said that Bnet2.0 is an awful, poorly-thought-out excuse for an online community that epitomizes the dumbing-down of games.  It is the worst part about SC2 by far, and makes its predecessor from over a decade ago look advanced.

Offline Crypt

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 10:55:54 »
Quote from: Azuremen;261600

Indeed, I'm ranked fairly high in 2v2, and terran infantry is definitely "OP."  It's mostly OP because no one seems to use psi storm or infestors at all, surprisingly.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 11:12:51 »
Infestors
Ultralisks

Colloxen
Storm

Siege Tanks
Hellions

there

Offline ShoeFactory

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 12:46:42 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;261564

Theres a tab arrow on the right side of the chat box so when you finish the game you can click the tab and right click the portrait to add as a friend.