Author Topic: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case  (Read 126085 times)

Offline emptythecache

• out.
Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 15:30:37 »
Yep, mine too came without feet, and it has sketchy fitment in general. I couldn't fit the standard filco cable, because the ferrous bead on it was too wide, so I smashed it (lol). It still looks questionable whether or not I'm going to be happy when I get back from the hardware store (I need to buy an allen wrench that fits it) or really annoyed. I haven't totally give up yet on being able to use a detachable cable, since the connecter fits in the hole turned 90 degrees, but securing it there, and having it fit in under the plate is going to take some finangling at the very least.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 15:33:46 »
^I was able to fit the Filco cable with ferrous bead just fine.  It took a little bit of maneuvering and you have to slowly tighten the case up (start at opposite corners and slowly work your way around). It took several trips around the board to get it fully tightened.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2012, 15:37:09 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 16:24:39 »
Got it together. It's ok, obviously not as perfect as the KMAC. Here are some pictures, mostly of the weird seams.

http://imgur.com/a/dYKN8

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 16:26:21 »
Got it together. It's ok, obviously not as perfect as the KMAC. Here are some pictures, mostly of the weird seams.

http://imgur.com/a/dYKN8

Did you have spare screws?  What are the short screws with washers for?  I didn't have to use them to put together the case.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #154 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 16:31:20 »
lol emptythecache, those huge holes are ridiculous. You really should email mechanicalkeyboards to get a refund or compensation or something. They shouldn't be there. Akimbo's case doesn't have those huge holes.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 16:32:38 »
Yeah, I don't know what that baggy was for. There was one extra allen wrench screw, and then that bag. I used the washers from it with allen wrench screws in the front middle and corners to get the seam as tight as I could. I couldn't fully tighten the front without them.

WFD: It's not easy to tell, but they don't go the whole way through, so from the outside, there is no way to know they are there.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 16:37:38 »
Ah I see. Front glancing at the pic, I thought it goes all the way through both sides, which if it did, would be unacceptable. I guess it's not that bad if you can't see from the outside, but still... I wouldn't want unnecessary holes in my cases.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 16:37:40 »
I would still complain though... and everyone should complain about no feet.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 16:45:46 »
The holes could be used to hold the case during manufacturing. Although I don't know too much about it, so could be completely unnecessary.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 16:55:30 »
No, those huge holes looks like they were drilled after all the manufacturing. You can see the whole case is probably sandblasted, but large holes has the shiny bare aluminum marks.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 17:26:41 »
Do we all look like suckers here?
They come here, tease us with nice pics and correct prices and in the end they send THIS...!!!
no feet, stupid holes and dodgy seams for 150$
I really do hope it's a mistake and they are going to fix it

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 17:46:36 »
I believe those 2 big holes are there for centering the top case. There are corresponding holes on the bottom. Seems like there was something that was supposed to go in there with a large head that you can stick in there, so it doesn't rely on the screws to resist lateral force.
Be glad. Mine was missing SCREWS. I didn't say anything since... well. I didn't grab mine from the batch. I assumed they would actually check a larger order, but mine are incoming with my missing feet (and I did ask for rubber feet). If ShakeR didn't jump the gun so soon, I might have said something more... Once all my stuff have arrived.

Edit: I actually played with that exact prototype. That prototype is... Missing rubber feet. It did have a few more edge treatment than our production run. For example, the edge bevel. This wasn't done on the production case that you can see on that prototype.

Edit2: Don't worry guys. In addition to ShakeR/Tiger Imports demanding answers, I'll have my contact there and blast them with mouth cannon.

Edit3: Faulty memory on the case top bevel.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2012, 18:45:12 by laffindude »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 17:53:25 »
I'm not unsatisfied with the quality of the case.  I think it's good for the price.  I just wish the feet were included.  I'm sure Shaker will take care of us though (he seems to be generally on top of things).  I'm dying to know what those extra 4 screws with washers were for.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 17:55:16 »
so what you are saying is I was sent a prototype as if it was the same finished product they sold to everyone else? That's fantastic.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 17:59:05 »
I think the case quality is acceptable. I wasn't exactly expecting top shelf stuff, so it actually exceeded my expectation. Edge treatment could have been better of course. Mine has sliiiight parallel grooves still on the bottom. Just my luck, I had them on my Pure case as well.

Emptythecache: No yours is not the prototype. Not sure why they put the bevel on yours.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2012, 18:01:20 by laffindude »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 18:07:45 »
^Mine has a very slight bevel too.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 18:10:48 »
I guess I am the odd man out. Mine is just straight machined hole there.

Offline telepete

• Jedi Knight and friend of Captain Solo.
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 18:34:22 »
No feet? Drill holes? No Phantom support? Good ole Vortex. For the price I get either a useless case or a keg of cheap beer. Not a hard decision.
Don't you wish Carnifex was at your side?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 18:37:30 »
No feet? Drill holes? No Phantom support? Good ole Vortex. For the price I get either a useless case or a keg of cheap beer. Not a hard decision.

Yup, gotta love a keg of beer. Speaking of, I gotta turn my spare fridge into a kegerator!

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 18:52:19 »
Because Vortex.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 17:01:37 »
I posted some pictures here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33155.msg728124#msg728124

Like everyone else it seems, I didn't get feet either.  I wasn't planning on using feet as I like the low profile as it's better on your wrists IMO... but still stinks not to get them.  (Resale, etc)  But mainly, I really wish they had included some rubber pads... looks like they have little indentions where they should go, but none included.  I guess I can use something else.

Here is the profile and height as compared to a stock Filco:
8838-0
8840-1

I also got the mysterious hole on the inside, that doesn't go all the way through. And the extra packet with three screws and three washers. (??)

Only other slight problem was that the thickness of my braided cord (stock on the Camo Filco) gave the back of the case a little trouble when trying to close all the way.  I forced it down though, and seems to be fine.

It's a heavy beast with the zinc caps on... nearly 5lbs.

Now... to find an anodizing shop and pick a color.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2012, 17:03:42 by aggiejy »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 17:12:04 »
Also, just pulled out my multimeter and I'm not seeing any conductivity.  But... I'm not expert at using that thing so it'd be good for someone else to verify.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 17:40:27 »
Height looks good without the feet. I would like to have the rubber pads, though. Won't get mine until tomorrow, as I have all keyboard stuffs sent to my P.O. box, and my post office doesn't open on the weekends.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #173 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 17:57:49 »
Ripster was talking about hi fi equipment feet and the Vortex Alu case.  I looked at a few hi fi equipment feet online and the diameters roughly match those of the bottom holes on the case meant for feet.  So that's a possibility for anyone who wants feet that screw into the bottom of the keyboard and doesn't want to wait for mechanicalkeyboards to fix it.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #174 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 19:00:52 »
I was tempted to get one for my Phantom and drill up the underside to fit the controller... Now that they are sold out, I don't have to keep myself from buying one.

It's not as easy as you think. That's why companies that anodize will charge a lot unless it's mass anodizing all at once.
Sometimes a company will let a part be plated or anodized together with their regular orders. I got a espresso-cup sized steel part nickel-plated that way for about 15 Euros. II had to wait a couple of weeks longer, but they called me when they were done. Really nice of them. :)

If they won't do it, it does not hurt to ask. ;)

Seeing this I don't expect the trooper to be in the box but I surely don't expect the feet to be missing...!
BTW. It is an AT-AT driver. ;)
Lego messed up. The helmet and complete suit should be light grey. (but it looks white in the movie)
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2012, 19:07:10 by Findecanor »

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 23:30:24 »
Did the case change the feel of the board at all? 

Looks pretty good. 

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 23:32:16 »
BTW. It is an AT-AT driver. ;)
Lego messed up. The helmet and complete suit should be light grey. (but it looks white in the movie)

NERD!!!

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 23:41:31 »
Did the case change the feel of the board at all? 

Looks pretty good. 

Yeah, feels like a solid truck now.  I mean, a Filco being plate mounted is already solid, but I guess the plastic gives a tad or something.  It feels different to me, in a great way.  Also, it's super heavy... I think I used to casually push my board around to fit my position.  I noticed that a lot more now. Also not a bad thing, just an observation. 

My only problem is that I'm having trouble finding someone to anodize it around here.

Offline dirge

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 03:06:48 »
Someone sell me theirs please :)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:40:42 »
i will do a group buy later and come with 5 different colors

Offline dirge

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:42:35 »
Okay, I could kiss you now!  If you're getting them made, any chance in a Winkeyless version for my phantom?  I'll get another plate cut to fit the case, it'll be easier in the long run.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:42:52 »

:O around the same price as these ones?

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:43:15 »
Okay, I could kiss you now!  If you're getting them made, any chance in a Winkeyless version for my phantom?  I'll get another plate cut to fit the case, it'll be easier in the long run.
sorry... no wkl version..

Offline dirge

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:44:30 »
sorry... no wkl version..

oh well, still an improvement for now :)

what colours?

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:46:27 »

no.. around 185 shipped conus

p.s.i will loss 10 usd+ if i sell it on 148

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:49:59 »

no.. around 185 shipped conus

p.s.i will loss 10 usd+ if i sell it on 148

If that shipping includes Canada, I like the price! A black one would be nice.

Offline dirge

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 05:51:17 »
Shipping to UK? what would I be looking at?

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 06:31:03 »
Shipping to UK? what would I be looking at?
maybe 5 more

Offline pmh1410

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 06:50:16 »
how many shipping fee to Vietnam, i'm interest other color :P
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club

Keyboards Collection: Powered by OTD
TKL: 360C Hyper Silver, Cheat B/R/B
Mini: 356mini Red, Duck Poker + 38GT.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 06:52:04 »
how many shipping fee to Vietnam, i'm interest other color :P
185 usd

Offline dirge

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 06:58:08 »
maybe 5 more

please put me down for one :)

Offline pasph

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 08:03:03 »
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 08:05:01 »
maybe 5 more

another one here

Time for a GB thread! Although with the poker round 2 and those Cherry cap pullers, a lot on your plate Tinlong!

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 08:10:35 »
maybe 5 more

another one here

Time for a GB thread! Although with the poker round 2 and those Cherry cap pullers, a lot on your plate Tinlong!
tinlong will be overloaded if he does 3 group buy on the same time. He is preparing his exam now  :'(

Offline dirge

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 08:24:27 »
You'll be fine :)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 08:25:28 »
Exams first, group buys later.

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 10:00:49 »
Exams first, group buys later.

Count me in for group buy.  :)
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 11:32:23 »
Some initial thoughts:

I can confirm that this case will work with the bpiphany controller daughterboard. It's a very tight fit. And I haven't tried it yet, but I'm concerned that it may get stuck in the cutout when I attempt to disassemble it. What you want to do when you assemble it, is to put the controller side into the top part of the case first. Then assemble everything around that. I also had to make several passes around the case, when tightening all the screws, to make everything fit and tighten properly.

I also did not receive any feet with mine. I hope we can get these feet sent to us. Overall it feels like a very solid case. I don't have any problem with the design. I will post a full review later when I've had a chance to use the keyboard in this case.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 12:27:21 »
So what is the consensus on this case?  I'm getting it's not the same quality as a KMAC.  What are the exact differences?  How does it compare to the MKC case?  It definitely seems a step up from the stock case but I was expecting to have my mind blown.  Also what goes into designing a case like this?   
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:15:17 »
So what is the consensus on this case?  I'm getting it's not the same quality as a KMAC.  What are the exact differences?  How does it compare to the MKC case?  It definitely seems a step up from the stock case but I was expecting to have my mind blown.  Also what goes into designing a case like this?   

Objectively, MKC's case were better in all aspects. More chamfers and treated edges, extra chamfers and features to hide imperfections in the split lines, finer tolerances (by the looks of it), more advanced shape with milled underside etc requiring more mounts in a mill, brass inserts for threads instead of just tapping the holes in the aluminum etc.

Then again, they were about twice as expensive. Someone who received one could perhaps chime in. I am actually surprised that they managed to get the price that low.