Author Topic: Your Favorite Gamepad/Joystick  (Read 26316 times)

Offline HybridCore

Your Favorite Gamepad/Joystick
« on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:29:23 »
Just curious to see what people like, or even how many people have one (or both). I don't have either, but I'll be getting one soon (gamepad). Choosing between the Logitech and Microsoft gamepads.
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Re: Your Favorite Gamepad/Joystick
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 23:12:11 »
Just curious to see what people like, or even how many people have one (or both). I don't have either, but I'll be getting one soon (gamepad). Choosing between the Logitech and Microsoft gamepads.

I have 4 Xbox 360 wireless gamepads (since I own the console) and a Logitech F510.

From these four controllers, two of them are 2007 beige models which I bought with the console itself. Though it may not seem, the Xbox 360 gamepad has suffered some changes when the new Xbox 360 (the Slim model) was released and the new black controller went on sale for PC and the Xbox 360 (and no, it's different from the black Elite controller which was sold before the Slim 360 was released).

It's not only the color of the controller that has changed, but some changes were made to the plastic, the d-pad (which was previously HORRIBLE AND UNUSABLE and now it's just BAD, but it's an upgrade anyway) and the stiffness of the triggers.

Unlike other consoles (such as the PS2) where the quality of the controllers went on a downhill over years, the Xbox 360 has upgraded a bit.

OK, now moving on to my Logitech F510.

If you want a gamepad to play fighting games such as Street Fighter, don't even think about buying a Xbox 360 controller or a Razer Onza. THIS is the correct choice. Also, it's by far more confortable (at least for my hands) than the Xbox 360 format, has a MUCH better support for old games via its DirectInput mode and you can also create individual profiles for each game.

Comfort-wise, the F510 is way better for me. I've been using DualShock controllers ever since 2002, and bought my Xbox 360 on 2007, my PS3 on 2010, my Wii on 2011, the new Xbox 360 controllers (the black ones) about three months ago and this Logitech F510 just about two months ago.

But, it's certainly the best gamepad I have here, followed by my old 2002 PS2 controller (which is far different from the nowadays generic models you find everywhere, they have a bit of glitter on its plastic and it feels damn nice and confortable, unlike my generic wireless PS2 controller), the Wiimote in vertical with the Nunchuck (for playing games like Legend of Zelda), the PS3 DualShock 3, the new (black) Xbox 360 controller, the old (beige) Xbox 360 controller, the generic wireless PS2 controller, the Wiimote in horizontal (for playing games like New Super Mario Bros Wii) and lastly, that piece of failure called Wii Classic Controller Pro.

Now, comparing the buttons themselves, the D-PAD is a million times better than the OLD or NEW Xbox 360 controllers. Seriously, comparing them makes the 360 controller look ridiculous on this part. Following, you have the LB and RB buttons on the Xbox 360, which are also FAR worse than the Logitech F510 buttons. You can't even compare them, they're completely unresponsive and heavy on the Xbox 360.

But now, one thing I gotta give props for the Xbox 360 and Logitech F510 gamepads are the Triggers. Both are by far better than my PS3's DualShock 3 controller, that much I gotta say. Actually, I prefer by FAR not having a Trigger at all (as on the PS2 controller) than having a bad one. They're stiffer, they're much more responsive and feel way nicer than a DualShock 3's Trigger.

Anyways, as a conclusion, yes, the Logitech controllers are indeed better than the Xbox 360 controllers, though unfortunately most people don't know that. And even worse, when they try to buy a better controller than the Xbox 360's one, they buy the god damn Razer Onza...
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2012, 00:16:46 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 00:38:25 »
I tried the usual suspects from Logitech etc. but finally ended up with a PS2 Dualshock gamepad (via adapter)
Imo its the best gamepad ever made :)

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 01:52:36 »
PS3 controllers will work on a PC.  Just gotta download the drivers I think.  For fighting games I've switched from my tournament stick to this:

and the review that convinced me to get it
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline NKRO

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 06:54:37 »
The Wireless Xbox 360 controller for me, because it requires zero configuration to use with the majority of games these days, and they will automatically switch their UI over to displaying Xbox button prompts rather than keys for various actions. (some games even switch between different user interfaces)

PS3 controller support is hacky at best, especially the Xbox controller emulation, and Bluetooth has noticeably more delay than the wireless Xbox controller.

Are there better controllers? Maybe. It's true that the D-Pad is pretty bad on the 360 controller, and even the new revision doesn't fix the main problem (the fact that it's recessed into that plastic ring) but the D-Pad is a tertiary control in most games these days. The 360 controller is standard, cheap, and works. For games without controller support, or if you ever wanted to control your desktop with a controller (might be nice in Metro apps) Xpadder works really well with it too.

If D-Pad is a priority for the types of games you play, I would suggest that buying an arcade stick is probably a better idea instead of a gamepad.

Logitech makes junk that breaks quickly in my experience (it's why they're so good at getting replacements sent out to you - they're used to it!) and I'm curious about what the problem is with the Razer Onza. If they had made a wireless one, I would have been tempted to buy that instead of the Microsoft controller.

Offline wetto

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 07:12:26 »
PS3 controllers will work on a PC.  Just gotta download the drivers I think.  For fighting games I've switched from my tournament stick to this:

They work without drivers, but the problem lies within the fact that it doesn't has any XInput or DirectInput support, thus isn't automatically recognized (and you have to manually configurate the controller itself on some games, and on others it just won't work. But still, even if you do configurate or use Xpadder it'll still be worse than native support).

The Wireless Xbox 360 controller for me, because it requires zero configuration to use with the majority of games these days, and they will automatically switch their UI over to displaying Xbox button prompts rather than keys for various actions. (some games even switch between different user interfaces)

The Logitech F310, F510 and F710 are the same, since they have XInput support and are recognized as "Xbox 360 controllers".

The 360 controller is standard, cheap, and works. For games without controller support, or if you ever wanted to control your desktop with a controller (might be nice in Metro apps) Xpadder works really well with it too.

Now, that's true that it's cheap and works. Also, there's lot of Xpadder profiles available out there for it, but even still, the F510 is better.

Logitech makes junk that breaks quickly in my experience (it's why they're so good at getting replacements sent out to you - they're used to it!) and I'm curious about what the problem is with the Razer Onza. If they had made a wireless one, I would have been tempted to buy that instead of the Microsoft controller.

Hahaha! Well, can't deny I've had problems with Logitech hardware (seriously, my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro had just one faulty button: THE DAMN TRIGGER!), but at least this gamepad is working quite nicely. Though Logitech really has some issues with their bad OEMs for some products...

Now, you know why Razer won't release a Wireless Onza? Simple, Microsoft FORBIDS all other third-party accessory makers of creating a wireless controller for the Xbox 360.

Now, you may ask, why is the Logitech F710 wireless controller available then? Simple, it doesn't works on the Xbox 360.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2012, 07:21:56 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 07:41:57 »
MAS Fighting sticks...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 08:50:57 »
The X360 controller is by far my favourite; it's very comfortable and works out of the box with pretty much all the games I want it to work with.
Like someone mentioned above; the Logitech controllers also work out of the box apparently, but I'm not a big fan of their shape. Haven't had much issue with Logitech hardware though, only thing that's gone wrong was one of my old headsets after some heavy usage, although the actual headset never broke; I only managed to break the 3.5mm plugs.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 14:26:39 »
cI'm definitely leaning towards Logitech, as I've never had any bad experiences with them. My old Logitech "Click!" Optical Mouse is sitting right next to  me (using it right now) after quiet a few years. Maybe I'll get a G400 (or a Roccat Savu) since I do a palm and fingertip grip hybrid or switch between the two most of the time. This mouse is definitely a bit annoying to use a fingertip grip with.

Back on topic, I have 2 old Playstation controllers sitting upstairs, and I felt the controllers were rather comfortable. I've also used the XBox 360 controllers and they feel fine too, although I like the positioning of things on the Dualshock controllers better so I'll probably end up with a Logitech controller (probably the F510 after a few issues with the wireless connection of the F710 due to the fact that it uses the 2.4GHz band w/o much protection from other signals unlike Bluetooth, which is basically 2.4GHz band signals w/ a lot of security, supposedly).

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 14:31:09 »
XBox 360 controller for platformers and Mad Catz Tournament Edition Fightstick for fighting games. For everything else is keyboard/mouse.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:20:40 »
Anybody know anything about any sort of expected release date for Valve's controller hardware? I'm excited to see how their controllers will be.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:30:08 »
I loved my XBox pc controller until it decided to simply stop imputing once I upgraded to Win7. Apparently a Microsoft product is incompatible with a Microsoft product. When used with Motionjoy(which shouldn't even be needed) the controller causes my pc to freeze whenever the bumpers are pressed. So very lame.

Offline wetto

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 16:58:42 »
(probably the F510 after a few issues with the wireless connection of the F710 due to the fact that it uses the 2.4GHz band w/o much protection from other signals unlike Bluetooth, which is basically 2.4GHz band signals w/ a lot of security, supposedly).

The reason why I actually chose the F510 was because:

1. I'll play with the PC right in front of me, not 10-20 feet away.
2. I'm sick and tired of batteries. Seriously, the Nintendo Wii eats batteries way too fast and I have 4 Wiimotes, then there's the Xbox 360 with 4 controllers and I need at least batteries for two of them and then there's also the PS2 wireless controller and the Guitar Hero guitar...

I think I have about 30 rechargable batteries here, two chargers and it's always a damn hassle to keep up recharging batteries, especially since the F710 uses AAA batteries and I only have four of those, which means, I'd have to buy EVEN MORE BATTERIES!

EDIT: My bad, the F710 uses AA batteries, I thought it used the same AAA batteries as my generic wireless PS2 controller since they're smaller and lighter. Anyways, doesn't changes the fact that I'm sick of batteries.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2012, 17:14:09 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 21:05:28 »
XBox 360 wired controller is what I chose for the very same reason.

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 00:20:53 »
Love my PS3 controller. Complete pain in the ass to make it work wirelessly in Windows but my Mac handles it natively, of course.

Having started with Playstation 1 controllers, been confused by various classic Nintendo controllers, and appalled at the enormity and weight of Xbox controllers, I have never found a controller as comfortable. Batteries also last at least eight hours of gameplay for me and I can play wired with any of my USB cables: the same that I have many of from my keyboards.
40% layout, anyone?

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 14:01:18 »
(probably the F510 after a few issues with the wireless connection of the F710 due to the fact that it uses the 2.4GHz band w/o much protection from other signals unlike Bluetooth, which is basically 2.4GHz band signals w/ a lot of security, supposedly).

The reason why I actually chose the F510 was because:

1. I'll play with the PC right in front of me, not 10-20 feet away.
2. I'm sick and tired of batteries. Seriously, the Nintendo Wii eats batteries way too fast and I have 4 Wiimotes, then there's the Xbox 360 with 4 controllers and I need at least batteries for two of them and then there's also the PS2 wireless controller and the Guitar Hero guitar...

I think I have about 30 rechargable batteries here, two chargers and it's always a damn hassle to keep up recharging batteries, especially since the F710 uses AAA batteries and I only have four of those, which means, I'd have to buy EVEN MORE BATTERIES!

EDIT: My bad, the F710 uses AA batteries, I thought it used the same AAA batteries as my generic wireless PS2 controller since they're smaller and lighter. Anyways, doesn't changes the fact that I'm sick of batteries.

I sort of wish the F710 at least came with a USB port so you can use it wired or wireless like the SIAXIS DualShock 3 controllers from Sony (I really wish they either had a larger community backing them, not something is big as the Linux community as that's probably unnecessary, or Sony makes a version for PC/Linux/Mac).

I can't quiet recall but I believe the first console I've ever played on was the NES (my grandpa has one and he probably still  has it) or it was the SNES, but it was probably the NES due to the square controller (I don't quiet remember but I'm pretty sure it was square). Moved onto a GameBoy Advanced SP after that and then moved onto a PS2 which I played probably the most. I loved the controller shape and button placement.

The easier way would be to shell out some cash for an induction charger (Energizer has one) but that's costly. :(

Offline wetto

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:05:08 »
I sort of wish the F710 at least came with a USB port so you can use it wired or wireless like the SIAXIS DualShock 3 controllers from Sony (I really wish they either had a larger community backing them, not something is big as the Linux community as that's probably unnecessary, or Sony makes a version for PC/Linux/Mac).

I can't quiet recall but I believe the first console I've ever played on was the NES (my grandpa has one and he probably still  has it) or it was the SNES, but it was probably the NES due to the square controller (I don't quiet remember but I'm pretty sure it was square). Moved onto a GameBoy Advanced SP after that and then moved onto a PS2 which I played probably the most. I loved the controller shape and button placement.

The easier way would be to shell out some cash for an induction charger (Energizer has one) but that's costly. :(

The thing is, the PS3 controller works on PC properly, as any other generic controller.

But the automatic mapping system used by 100% of current games is based on XInput, and guess who owns all rights over XInput? Yeah, Microsoft.

But the thing is, the community has already done something about that:
http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

You can actually use this software to translate DirectInput commands into XInput commands and get to use even generic controllers on 100% of the games. Which includes using PS2, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Generic PS2-like and almost every controller as a Xbox 360 controller on any game at all. And all you need to do is configure it once.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:08:38 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 20:01:54 »
The thing is, the PS3 controller works on PC properly, as any other generic controller.

But the automatic mapping system used by 100% of current games is based on XInput, and guess who owns all rights over XInput? Yeah, Microsoft.

But the thing is, the community has already done something about that:
http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

You can actually use this software to translate DirectInput commands into XInput commands and get to use even generic controllers on 100% of the games. Which includes using PS2, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Generic PS2-like and almost every controller as a Xbox 360 controller on any game at all. And all you need to do is configure it once.

I feel very tempted to get a SIXAXIS Dualshock 3 controller now.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 21:28:25 »
I found my two Dualshock 2 controllers! (SCPH-10010) I'll post pictures in an edit later.

Sorry for the horrible picture quality. I didn't have a camera on hand so I had to use my iPod.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2012, 21:35:25 by HybridCore »

Offline wetto

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 21:48:40 »
Sorry mate, doesn't works.

Anyways, if you're up to it, try getting a PS2 > USB adapter. The cheapest models may not have an embedded DirectInput > XInput adapter (seems more expensive ones do though),  but if it doesn't, I think it's worth a try using the XBOX 360 Controller emulator.
My collection:
More

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 22:15:47 »
Sorry mate, doesn't works.

Anyways, if you're up to it, try getting a PS2 > USB adapter. The cheapest models may not have an embedded DirectInput > XInput adapter (seems more expensive ones do though),  but if it doesn't, I think it's worth a try using the XBOX 360 Controller emulator.

I'll see what I can find.

Offline Octane

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 22:26:58 »
Atari 2600 FTW !!!

I don't have one any more, but you should google it. This thing rocked !
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2012, 22:43:03 by Octane »

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 10:49:49 »
Atari 2600 FTW !!!

I don't have one any more, but you should google it. This thing rocked !

I remember freddiew over on Youtube gave away an Atari 2600 (I think it was the 2600) with a PC inside (used an i7 ULV model I believe and a HD6000 series graphics card). I really wish I got one. That would make my life complete.

Offline Octane

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 12:50:49 »
Very cool. Sounds like a great mod. I should look for an old one that doesn't work. One that works is probably worth a few bucks now.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 13:21:23 »
Very cool. Sounds like a great mod. I should look for an old one that doesn't work. One that works is probably worth a few bucks now.

Been doing sort of the same for a PS2 controller because I love the 2 I have. I found one for $20 on eBay brand new Satin Silver. Not sure if I should get it considering the PITA some people have setting these up with a computer.

Offline phx

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 13:27:09 »
this is what I have, played FF7 with it, 35 something hours of game play on 2 batteries. highly recommended
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Rumblepad-Vibration-Feedback/dp/B0002XJBGE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353266728&sr=8-3&keywords=logitech+wireless+controller

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 13:51:06 »
this is what I have, played FF7 with it, 35 something hours of game play on 2 batteries. highly recommended
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Rumblepad-Vibration-Feedback/dp/B0002XJBGE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353266728&sr=8-3&keywords=logitech+wireless+controller

Didn't Logitech discontinue that awhile ago?

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 20:02:26 »
Did Logitech discontinue the F510? It's not on their website and Newegg no longer has any in stock (they removed it off the listings page too, giving it a DISCONTINUED status).

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 14:00:06 »
The top gamepads in terms of functionality would probably be the DualShock 3 and the original Xbox gamepads. Pressure-sensitive buttons (a must for PCSX2), full DirectInput remapping capabilities (some games just refuse to let you rebind certain controls, which is why it needs to be done at the driver level) with MotioninJoy and XBCD respectively, and X360CE takes care of XInput support.

For ergonomics, it's a bit different; the Xbox 360 gamepad is up there, if you don't mind the sheer amount of center play on the analog sticks and the infamous D-Pad. The Logitech F-series is also high-ranking in my book, especially since Logitech analog sticks have very little center play and good resistance, but DirectInput capabilities are behind the pads mentioned above.

As for joysticks...for the arcade variety, it's a Seimitsu LS-56 with an octogonal gate. Never liked Sanwa JLFs much, though maybe an enlarged actuator would fix that.

For the flight simulation variety, I miss my hotrodded Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar setup dearly. FCC-1 mod in the stick (making it force-sensing with a little movement, like the actual F-16 side stick), Hall sensor and UTM bushings in the throttle for smooth, precise input, and another Hall sensor mod for the RCS pedals I had hooked up to it. Programming was also hardware-based and very versatile. Alas, it had to sell a few months ago when money got tight.

I have a full CH Products Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals USB setup now to fill the hole that left, but it's just not the same. CH's programmability is even better (thanks to the same Bob Church that developed TM's logical programming system, ironically), albeit software-based. The main issue is with the ergonomics; CH stuff just doesn't feel as good in my hands as TM stuff does. I could fix this if I were to make a new Fighterstick handle and stuff CH controller guts into an old Suncom SFS Throttle, among other things, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

An honorable mention would be the Microsoft SideWinder Force-Feedback 2; it's a very basic stick with only the usual 4 axes, 8 buttons, and a single hat switch. But the main X and Y axes must use Microsoft's usual optical sensors since they're so precise and reliable, and the force-feedback centering is smooth and precise with little slop. These traits give it a cult following, even with it being out of production for over a decade, and it still remains my stick of choice for DCS: Black Shark because of the way the Ka-50's trim system works. (With a conventional stick, you need to re-center it every time you let go of the trimmer button. With a force-feedback stick, it'll just set the centering forces to the stick's current position. Just making a non-FFB stick without a spring centering mechanism is not ideal because of the autopilot and dampening systems in the Ka-50's avionics tied to the trim settings.)

And, finally, for one of the more exotic controllers out there...Descent just isn't Descent without a Spacetec SpaceOrb 360 in my hands. You know those 3Dconnexion "3D mice"? Same basic idea, but in gamepad form.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 14:08:30 »
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Can't possibly be bad if they've kept it around for years...I think I've had both of mine (both still work) for 5 years now with no malfunction... great cheap stick for getting into it.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Lanx

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 03:19:20 »
i woulda ranked it ps3 then xbox360, then lately for some odd reason (cuz of the classic games) this
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Classic-Controller-Pro-White-Nintendo/dp/B0037US4IA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357377382&sr=8-1&keywords=wii+classic+controller

wii classic controller, feels nice solid and since it connects to the wii stick thing, it's light (the ps3 controller is light, but this thing is a featherweight), not like it matters, but after 6hours of gaming, you REALLY feel the 360 heft, (not to mention the horrible stiff triggers).

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 03:27:13 »
Razer's Onza was great but breaks way too easy im glad the fixed basically everything in their new product o and btw if you have a onza you get $10 off the new one.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 03:13:12 »

but seriously probably like... 6 button genesis controller and ps2. and dreamcast!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 18:54:04 »
Show Image

but seriously probably like... 6 button genesis controller and ps2. and dreamcast!
seriously?

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 19:39:00 »
Show Image

seriously?
lol I want one...
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 22:09:43 »
I like the original Gravis gamepad for older 2d games. I bought a Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS for Descent and X-wing series. That was awesome. I miss it. Can't use either one right now because my gameport won't be recognised in Windows.

I found a random Saitek P990 Dual Analog in a pawn shop for a dollar. It's acceptable for the money, and it's USB so I can use it for now. Definitely not my favorite though.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 14:28:59 »
I got to go over to a friend's house this weekend and he had a Sixaxis (not Dualshock 3 + Sixaxis) controller (genuine). I tried out MotioninJoy drivers with a twin-stick shooter on Steam and it was great. Tempted to get a DS3 but I can snap a few DS2 controllers for cheap. I just need to run to my local Gamestop in hopes that they still have some PS2 gear even though the PS2 shipments were discontinued a few months ago. I can only hope.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:01:11 »
I like the original Gravis gamepad for older 2d games. I bought a Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS for Descent and X-wing series. That was awesome. I miss it. Can't use either one right now because my gameport won't be recognised in Windows.
The good news is that they're analog gameport devices, so there are tons of cheap gameport-to-USB adapters that will work.

The bad news is that the TM F-16 FLCS is programmed through the keyboard port and requires an old computer running DOS or Win9x for that reason, still making it rather impractical on a modern computer. It doesn't help that you're limited to just four DirectInput buttons because of gameport limitations, forcing you to emulate keystrokes for everything else.

Hopefully, you can save up for a HOTAS Cougar or Warthog.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:36:29 »
I like the generic Playstation-style gamepads. (Logitech makes good ones)  I only use them for fighting games and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater though.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:40:19 »
The good news is that they're analog gameport devices, so there are tons of cheap gameport-to-USB adapters that will work.

The bad news is that the TM F-16 FLCS is programmed through the keyboard port and requires an old computer running DOS or Win9x for that reason, still making it rather impractical on a modern computer. It doesn't help that you're limited to just four DirectInput buttons because of gameport limitations, forcing you to emulate keystrokes for everything else.

Hopefully, you can save up for a HOTAS Cougar or Warthog.

Yes it's quite a pain to get it all set up. But man it was great back then. Never did get the throttle and pedals for it.

HOTAS is still pretty expensive, no? Haven't looked in a while.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 16:25:46 »
Yes it's quite a pain to get it all set up. But man it was great back then. Never did get the throttle and pedals for it.

HOTAS is still pretty expensive, no? Haven't looked in a while.
HOTAS setups often fetch a pretty penny, yeah.

Used Saitek X-45 and X-52 setups can be had for about $60-120 on eBay these days. Decent way to get started, and you don't need rudder pedals for yaw control, but Saitek's SST software really feels crippled compared to what TM and CH software can do (based on the same Bob Church's work, incidentally enough).

CH Products setups (usually the Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals combo) may sell for $165 shipped or even $120 shipped, which is a really good deal if you find a whole FS/PT/PP setup at that price range, but new pricing for each component is generally around $100-120 by itself. That adds up quickly.

Thrustmaster stuff is even more expensive than it used to be; the days of $100-250 stock HOTAS Cougars may be over already in the wake of their discontinuation and the release of Falcon BMS 4.32, and only rarely does the HOTAS Warthog drop to $350 new.

Offline darkadious

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 08:38:30 »
the original playstaion grey controllers had the best feeling d-pad for me, for fighters.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:16:39 »
I sort of don't like what Sony's doing right now with the new PS4 controllers. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

If anything, they should work on a gamepad designed for PC (MotioninJoy is fine most of the time though).

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Your Favorite Gamepad/Joystick
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:43:10 »
Just impulse bought a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 VLX Diamond Edition

then I swapped the buttons to those silent sanwa's should he gotten green instead of vermillion ill have to buy more now

Keyboardless

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:44:18 »
very nice! i wish i could still play fighting games with a stick but it kinda hurts my wrists at this point.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Your Favorite Gamepad/Joystick
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 22:49:00 »
very nice! i wish i could still play fighting games with a stick but it kinda hurts my wrists at this point.
same

Offline Plater

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 01:26:45 »
My favourite gamepad is still the xbox 360 controller for windows. I have the wired version and its amazing. I tried the Logitech equivalent gamepads as well but they just don't have the same "feel" to it.

Offline makaseo

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:15:27 »
Been using my Razer Onza TE for a while now and I'm loving it to death so far.

Offline Saturn

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 10:43:12 »
My favourite gamepad is still the xbox 360 controller for windows. I have the wired version and its amazing. I tried the Logitech equivalent gamepads as well but they just don't have the same "feel" to it.

I have one of the Logitech gamepads, the F510, and it's got this problem with a huge center deadzone on the analog sticks.  Well, maybe the deadzone isn't that huge, but it feels huge when you're playing.  And it's hardware based, so no disabling it or configuring it in any way.

People have questioned Logitech about it and they insist that they were trying to follow the specs for the 360 controller as closely as possible.  I don't have a 360 controller myself so I can't confirm whether it has as big a deadzone as that.

Offline Plater

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 11:15:25 »

I have one of the Logitech gamepads, the F510, and it's got this problem with a huge center deadzone on the analog sticks.  Well, maybe the deadzone isn't that huge, but it feels huge when you're playing.  And it's hardware based, so no disabling it or configuring it in any way.

People have questioned Logitech about it and they insist that they were trying to follow the specs for the 360 controller as closely as possible.  I don't have a 360 controller myself so I can't confirm whether it has as big a deadzone as that.

If by deadzone, you mean the distance between the resting position of the analog sticks to the "activated" position, I can tell you that the Xbox 360 controller have none. At least from what I have been experiencing with. I mainly play NBA 2k13 and COD: BO2 where tiny adjustments are sometimes very critical.