Author Topic: Topre sliders, MX caps  (Read 90200 times)

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
Re: Topre sliders, MX caps
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:43:46 »
I'll install a couple of sliders this weekend and if I can get a hold of my AV buddy I'll be able to record a video of it.

Otherwise I could record a video with my iPhone but I'm worried the quality will be crap.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:56:37 »
I'll install a couple of sliders this weekend and if I can get a hold of my AV buddy I'll be able to record a video of it.

Otherwise I could record a video with my iPhone but I'm worried the quality will be crap.

Just make one. Then we have one to show for reference. I'd make one, but I don't have an hhkb yet :(
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 22:48:11 »
any updates on mass producing these?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 21:25:40 »
Okie doke.. With the site being down tonight it gave me motivation to put my sliders in finally!!!!! I used 6 strong & flexible. 5 Purple, 1 Pink. I had to sand them around the middle cylinder and the sides of the legs. Also I put krytox lube on the legs and in the slider housing 2 grooves for each. They feel great since the spring and dome does most the work anyways. I just need to find the right profile keys now.. At the moment Im using my Cherry Profile from my Cyrillic set. But here are some fun shots I did to try them, potato shots!! >.<

:cool:

Stoked to find some grey 1.25 that fit good...  :thumb:

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 21:40:06 »
Okie doke.. With the site being down tonight it gave me motivation to put my sliders in finally!!!!! I used 6 strong & flexible. 5 Purple, 1 Pink. I had to sand them around the middle cylinder and the sides of the legs. Also I put krytox lube on the legs and in the slider housing 2 grooves for each. They feel great since the spring and dome does most the work anyways. I just need to find the right profile keys now.. At the moment Im using my Cherry Profile from my Cyrillic set. But here are some fun shots I did to try them, potato shots!! >.<

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's awesome  :thumb:

Hopefully I can get a FC660C pretty soon.  You should make some videos on how to put these in.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 22:02:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's awesome  :thumb:

Hopefully I can get a FC660C pretty soon.  You should make some videos on how to put these in.

Thank You! :) Only downfall is they sit a tad higher. If the spacebar was swappable Id do my arrows and spacebar so the entire row 1 was the same height. Oh well! Looks great besides that.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 02:13:20 »
Thank You! :) Only downfall is they sit a tad higher. If the spacebar was swappable Id do my arrows and spacebar so the entire row 1 was the same height. Oh well! Looks great besides that.

do you feel they are too high? I didn't want the caps to hit the housing, otherwise you'd need an o-ring I guess

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 22:09:30 »

do you feel they are too high? I didn't want the caps to hit the housing, otherwise you'd need an o-ring I guess

Well Ill be honest. The MX height is perfect! But the Topre height is lower. So they just dont match is all. I could swap all to mx haha... If I could just do the spacebar the bottom row would look perfect. Any idea how to do mx spacebar? Thanks.

Added Hyperfuse R1 Mods. :D

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 02:02:08 »
hate to be a pest, but was just wondering if there are any new updates =)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #209 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 02:09:00 »
I tried contacting some manufactures with no success.

I'll be checking with bunny today, a while back he told me he maybe can produce them in China.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 09:41:11 »
I tried contacting some manufactures with no success.

I'll be checking with bunny today, a while back he told me he maybe can produce them in China.

Sounds good! Saw that on the first page and wondered if anything came of that. Thanks for the update!

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 13:45:29 »
Maybe I missed it, but do thick cherry/gmk keycaps fit on topre boards using these? I am just wondering why topre keycaps seem to be pretty thin in comparison.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 17:00:21 »
yeah they would fit. any mx cap fits :)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 17:01:54 »
I would love to see these made in high quantities. Might finally force me to get a 86 realforce.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #214 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 17:08:51 »
Welp, just purchased two of them. Time to finally tear apart the RF and silence/lube it haha.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 17:09:16 »
we are trying to work this out

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #216 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 18:36:22 »
yeah they would fit. any mx cap fits :)
Awesome, thank you  :thumb:

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #217 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:39:00 »
would love to know when you produce these.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #218 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:41:34 »
I'm in talk with various manufacturers. Best quote so far was approx 0.50 per slider but I had to produce quite a lot of them. I'm now talking with bunnylake. stay tuned I didn't throw the towel :)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:42:25 »
Dayum..... .50 per piece :(

There's gotta be a cheaper way.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:45:12 »
yeah the problem is that to lower the price to say 0.10 or less I have to produce at least 20k sliders :)

anyway I sent another quote request.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:51:54 »
Hmm, I don't think .50 each is a terrible price honestly. That is about the cost of clear switch tops and those are much less useful :P

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:53:32 »
Matt your forgetting that vendors like myself would help get numbers up towards 20,000

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:54:22 »
getting to 20k doesn't honestly seem like it would be completely impossible. the average order would be around 100?  thats 200 orders. i wonder how many of the hhkb/topre fanatics on the board would cough up. given the demand for topre keycaps in the classifieds, seems like theres a market.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:56:42 »
yeah the problem is that to lower the price to say 0.10 or less I have to produce at least 20k sliders :)

anyway I sent another quote request.

Like others have said, that actually doesn't sound *too* impossible if you could get a group buy going with several vendors/resellers throwing in their support; 250 orders to cover an 87 key layout puts you at 21,750 sliders... or 303 orders for a 66 key layout (FC660C). I know I would buy at least 2 sets...
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:56:50 »
getting to 20k doesn't honestly seem like it would be completely impossible. the average order would be around 100?  thats 200 orders. i wonder how many of the hhkb/topre fanatics on the board would cough up. given the demand for topre keycaps in the classifieds, seems like theres a market.

^^ This someone's bound to do it eventually why not a bunch of geekhackers....then we can be like....'inb4 china'

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:56:52 »

Yup, I'd be ordering 300 just for the board I have now and to insure that I'd have them for future projects.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:06:58 »
ok, hold on just a sec. we are talking about the 1u slider here.

for a complete keyboard you need the modifiers as well.

anyway one step at the time :)

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:16:43 »

Those darn modifiers! What's the diff with them anyway? Smaller sliders?
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:35:22 »

Well, still, I'd be ordering the same amount. Thought we were including sliders in this conversation haha. Oh well.

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 18:14:49 »

i hadn't even considered that. are there different sliders for other keys? i know some of the mods would just need more than 1, which actually would make it more likely we'd hit 20k.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 23:01:32 »
i don't know anything about the mechanics of the topre switch but you're only missing out on 17 keys w/o 1u.
even on the 87 its 14 or 15 [im bad at counting] that's still 73 per keyboard.
273 orders.
and how many people would buy extras or for multiple keyboards?
but truly I guess you would be able to market it much easier if you could do a full board.
anyway great work matt.
im so excited for granite and everything else!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 01:27:20 »
while 1u sliders can easily reach high tiers, it's more difficult with the stabilized keys. the proportion is 70:1 (give or take), so the stabs would be pretty expensive. That being said, if a complete set costs half of a novatouch I'm still in :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 08:30:46 »
In the meantime I designed a new slider

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1990125/topre-to-mx-slider-v2-0beta.html?li=my-models&materialId=61

this should be a perfect fit. Now I'll try to place 10-20 sliders together to see if that helps with pricing

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 10:18:40 »
while 1u sliders can easily reach high tiers, it's more difficult with the stabilized keys. the proportion is 70:1 (give or take), so the stabs would be pretty expensive. That being said, if a complete set costs half of a novatouch I'm still in :)

Hell even if it cost 2/3 I'd probably be in.
I don't want to be limited to a specific keyboard,
I've already found a few that I like.

Offline dook0

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 11:32:19 »
Wow wow wow....
For 0.10 per slider, i want 500 of them !
This thing could help me build my dream keyboard   :eek:

Offline EvilHMB

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:23:53 »
How are you making these now? They look like really nicely 3d printed parts, but they could also be a mold....

They are 3D printed in what Shapeways call Ultra Frosted Detail I believe.

Wow, they look REALLY good. I just must be used to 3d printers with really low resolution/prototype speeds.

aka FDM printers. There are better technologies and brands out there ;D

Sadly, in order to make these truly affordable molds will have to be made. The upside is that the fixed costs in the mold can be spread on what I assume could be hundreds of sets á 100pcs/set. Cooler Master won't be very happy though.

LOL GG novatouch. next level mage right here.

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:31:02 by EvilHMB »

DasKeyboard4Professional   KBTalking Pro              HHKB Professional
( Blue Switches)                  ( Red Switches)

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 00:48:41 »
I don't know how much would it take to reach 20k, but I'd be down for 104 at least, and I know some people in Malaysia would be good for a few more hundred.

Offline Huggy_Bear64

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 02:59:33 »
I seriously need some of these. Like a full set. Hurry up and start large-scale manufacturing kthx.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #239 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 21:59:07 »
20k is not that much actually, I propose you bring the freaks from kbmania.com in.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #240 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 21:01:51 »
I'd be in for something like 130 pieces, even if it's 0.50 per piece.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline paulen

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 01:56:48 »
Any news?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #242 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 02:07:29 »
I haven't found a manufacturer.

Anyway I will be rebuilding the model with few optimizations in STL format (what the manufacturers usually need). SP seemed interested but couldn't work with the file I sent them.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #243 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:02:41 »
I'm behind you 104% on this project.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 04:45:49 »
I believe the Novatouch is finally in production... May be a while before they start hitting shelves yet, though.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Zentaaa

• Safe Bois
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 05:08:11 »
I believe the Novatouch is finally in production... May be a while before they start hitting shelves yet, though.
The novatouch will never have the build quality of something such as a hhkb or a realforce, But mx caps on topre sliders is insane!

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #246 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 05:21:11 »
How have I not seen this thread before. This is awesome.

If it ever gets made I will of course deeply regret all of the MX keycaps that I have sold when I made the switch to Topre...
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:57:22 »
The novatouch will never have the build quality of something such as a hhkb or a realforce, But mx caps on topre sliders is insane!
Why is that? Have you tried a novatouch to compare?

Offline Zentaaa

• Safe Bois
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:57:59 »
Why is that? Have you tried a novatouch to compare?
No because its cooler master!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 20:24:57 »
I would love at least 100 of these, likely more!  :thumb: