Author Topic: [IC]TaiHao Keysets Colour Interest Check(UPDATED New add-on MOQ )  (Read 52167 times)

Offline bazemk1979

Hak Foo, while that sounds great and all, I'm sure that you understand that most people buy from Tai Hao because it's extremely cheap and not because it's versatile or the best quality, right? Because $4 on an $80 set to make it more accessible sounds okay, but $4 on a $25 set or so, especially for someone buying several sets, adds up a lot more.

Let me quess Linkbane your against Tsangan too right? cmon men you have what 4-5 boards in your sig? how much that costed you? how many other GB's have you entered and paid hundreds of $????

I vote for Tsangan,Caps Lock and ISO.... now let the cheapos cry out strong for the $4 extra per set, and guess what they would most likely be Muricans!!!!
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
I can definitely see your point.

Honestly, the caps for me would be going on conventional ANSI-104 boards, so I don't need the extras.  I guess it's an optimization problem:  which will get to MOQ more easily- a $25 ANSI-104-only set, or a $29 ANSI+ISO+Tsangan set?   We can argue all day about it, and I worry that even a non-binding poll would be speculation and inaccurate.

Personally, I'm not sure about the "cheap/low quality" argument.  People buy from SP for a few reasons:

* They were the first ones who we were able to organize buys with.
* They will go a lot further to hit specific needs.  If I want custom legends or exotic colours, SP will do it long before Tai Hao does.
* SP can do much smaller quantities, which ties into the above point.

A lot of the benefit of versatility is  that "I have a weird board which needs an ISO enter or a Tsangan set" is not an excuse for not buying the set.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline bazemk1979

not an excuse to just join because it will benefit only the ANSI users? Hah! I really don't need ISO but I want it in because in the previous GB 20%+ got left out because there was no proper Tsangan with CapsLock and no ISO. Now why should I join the GB if I cant play around with the sets between the ANSI board and Korean board, I wont join just because of that, and you'll have another 30-40 peeps wont joining because there is no ISO.

First GB there was a good excuse, all was new and we wanted to make it happen anyways, now whats the excuse? we got all the moldings, bunch of options in colors, and a $4 excuse? I know I'm out if this goes ANSI only, don't be $4 selfish and support the ISO and Tsangan.

Offline Cottonsox

not an excuse to just join because it will benefit only the ANSI users? Hah! I really don't need ISO but I want it in because in the previous GB 20%+ got left out because there was no proper Tsangan with CapsLock and no ISO. Now why should I join the GB if I cant play around with the sets between the ANSI board and Korean board, I wont join just because of that, and you'll have another 30-40 peeps wont joining because there is no ISO.

First GB there was a good excuse, all was new and we wanted to make it happen anyways, now whats the excuse? we got all the moldings, bunch of options in colors, and a $4 excuse? I know I'm out if this goes ANSI only, don't be $4 selfish and support the ISO and Tsangan.

I an sure that there are people om both sides of the argument that may not join/buy less sets.

I am interested in as cheap as possible so I can buy as many sets as possible to play around with. I can tell you this much.  I will be buying into this gb, but at the same time $4 a set extra will mean I will probably buy 2 sets less.

I personally want it as cheaps as possible, and is this not the point of these?

Offline Hak Foo

If you want cheap only, you can probably get all the laser-etched white G81 caps you can stomach.... :) :) :)

I'm drawn to this buy for the attractive colour choices, the better typography on legends, and to a limited extent, the higher profile caps.  'm also eaget to see if this segues into an ALPS group buy.  This leaves me a little elastic on price.

Offline Cottonsox

Yeah I also am drawn to color choices and want to get in on as many as possible for what limited  funds I can justify for this gb.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Lets count instead of speculate. Data informs, emotions derail.

Offline bazemk1979

lets vote then, and lets see how many votes we get for the extension sets, at least we know how many will back out. These are awesome looking caps, its a shame not to have proper set since all molding are available.

Offline GhostofHarry

Thank you for all the reply you of u guys

its really nice that everyone is trying to make this thing happen

i will start a new poll if u guys thinks its essential for us to make a fair decision

i am still more at the side of bundling ISO kit first, then observe the orders and make changes if needed

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
I personally don't mind paying a few extra dollars so that others can get the caps they need.

I'm just not sure if the added cost will scare away people that only want standard ANSI 1.25 sets.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:57:14 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Hak Foo, while that sounds great and all, I'm sure that you understand that most people buy from Tai Hao because it's extremely cheap and not because it's versatile or the best quality, right? Because $4 on an $80 set to make it more accessible sounds okay, but $4 on a $25 set or so, especially for someone buying several sets, adds up a lot more.
and guess what they would most likely be Muricans!!!!
WTH is that supposed to mean?

Offline Hak Foo

My guess: People in America ('Muricans) will only need the US ANSI 104 set for most popular keyboards, so they can take an attitude of "Who cares about ISO?"

Offline tinlong117

^

Offline thestage

If the extra keys don't increase the shipping costs, I doubt it would be that big of a deal.  I have no need for tsangan or ISO, and if given the option I wouldn't bother with them, but with a cheap volume order like this I think having all bases covered is pretty important.  I'd pay the extra on one or two sets, but if I were interested in buying, like, all of them, that might give me pause.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
My guess: People in America ('Muricans) will only need the US ANSI 104 set for most popular keyboards, so they can take an attitude of "Who cares about ISO?"

Last time around, there were special caps included for a minority of people that others had to pay for.  ISO kits always have a hard time hitting the MOQ, even when it's a low SP MOQ.  As such. some people feel it's unfair to make everyone pay for ISO when it's for a minority group that can't even hit the MOQ on their own and they aren't willing to buy multiple sets to hit the MOQ.

Offline sonic_the_hedgehog

• That's a fast hedgehog...
now whats the excuse? we got all the moldings, bunch of options in colors, and a $4 excuse? I know I'm out if this goes ANSI only, don't be $4 selfish and support the ISO and Tsangan.

Not really my take on it at all.

It's not just $4. It's base set price + $4 for add-ons + paypal fees + postage to proxies + postage to me.

On one set, fine. On two sets, still only $8.

But once you order 3 sets, you've spent enough on the add-ons to buy a whole extra base set...

So things really need to be put in perspective here. If you were doing $4 add-ons on a $70 GB, it's a no-brainer. But with Tai Hao, you're increasing the purchase price by 33% for each kit.

Also, the cost is only a part of it for me. The other thing is, as mentioned earlier, the MOQ is only 100 on ANSI in-stock sets. So we could potentially get these happening much sooner and easier than trying to get 500 MOQ  :thumb:
IBM Model M | Cherry G80-3000LXCEU-2 (Browns) | Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 (Reds) | Old School AT Mechs | Old School XT Mech | Old School Japanese XT Mech  (Details / Pics Coming Soon :D)

Offline McWilloughby

Also, the cost is only a part of it for me. The other thing is, as mentioned earlier, the MOQ is only 100 on ANSI in-stock sets. So we could potentially get these happening much sooner and easier than trying to get 500 MOQ  :thumb:

I really don't see the overall MOQ being a problem for a Dolch set.

Offline bazemk1979

when will we vote for ISO and Tsangan?

Offline GhostofHarry

Ill post a google poll within today

Sorry for the delays,  I'm busy with my works these days :(

Offline bazemk1979

np dude, thanks for doing this

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
is it possible to make 6u space bar and extra left shift key?

Offline Razor Lotus

Where can we vote for the tsangan set?

Or is it not up yet?

Offline GhostofHarry

just posted on the first page

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
I voted in the poll, but I would like to share my suggestion to see what people think:

Separate the kits. For add-on, commit to buying 500. That's 500 x $4 = $2,000. Then present the prices in tiers. Set our own MOQ for group buy purposes, say 200 to keep price reasonable and give people assurance they are not committing to buy unless price reaches $10. So prices would look like this:

Order qty     Price per order
200                $10
300                $6.67
400                $5
500                $4

Obviously, for any quantity below 500, there would be more units produced than orders, and we could just divide up the extras evenly, have a lottery to see who gets extra sets, or sell them later and donate proceeds to GH. If we got 250 orders, everyone could get two sets or do whatever else with the extras. My guess is that people who want the add-ons wouldn't mind paying slightly more. I mean, come on, these add-on prices even at the 200 order mark are still way below what similar SP sets generally cost.

I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
I like WhiskeyTango's idea  :thumb:

Offline badloop

Any chance of getting blanks? ... would love to have some dolch blanks.
PBT FTW

IBM Model M | Cherry G80-3000LXCEU-2 (Browns) | Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 (Reds) | Old School AT Mechs | Old School XT Mech | Old School Japanese XT Mech  (Details / Pics Coming Soon :D)

Offline bazemk1979

I wouldn't mind paying for 4 add ons per set, for all the sets that will go into the gb

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
I voted in the poll, but I would like to share my suggestion to see what people think:

Separate the kits. For add-on, commit to buying 500. That's 500 x $4 = $2,000. Then present the prices in tiers. Set our own MOQ for group buy purposes, say 200 to keep price reasonable and give people assurance they are not committing to buy unless price reaches $10. So prices would look like this:

200                $10
300                $6.67
400                $5
500                $4

Obviously, for any quantity below 500, there would be more units produced than orders, and we could just divide up the extras evenly, have a lottery to see who gets extra sets, or sell them later and donate proceeds to GH. If we got 250 orders, everyone could get two sets or do whatever else with the extras. My guess is that people who want the add-ons wouldn't mind paying slightly more. I mean, come on, these add-on prices even at the 200 order mark are still way below what similar SP sets generally cost.

^ +1 ^
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Halvar

200                $10
300                $6.67
400                $5
500                $4

Good idea, but since TH does the sorting, I wonder if the price is still $4 if the extras are in a separate set.

Offline badloop

My wallet is aching to buy....
PBT FTW

Offline GhostofHarry

After a week or so, theres 32 votes for the latest poll

The votes for either bundle or separate are pretty close.

Whiskytango's suggestion may be used as final solution
its a very good suggestion and may meet everyone's need :thumb:

Is this GB nearly ready to launch then? Super keen to get this happening!

(My G80 boards are all messed up because I have Tai Hao v1 sets on them currently, which don't have the right Caps Locks, so my Caps Lock key is either the wrong profile or a blank 1x key lol)

Offline GhostofHarry

(My G80 boards are all messed up because I have Tai Hao v1 sets on them currently, which don't have the right Caps Locks, so my Caps Lock key is either the wrong profile or a blank 1x key lol)

i would like to start this ASAP

maybe finish taking orders in 2-3 weeks and wait for production

then sort the keycaps and send them out during sem break & before my intern starts

Offline clongetty

Will I be able to participate in the group buy if im from canada?

Offline GhostofHarry

Will I be able to participate in the group buy if im from canada?

yes

Offline RaVNzCRoFT

• * Commercial Vendor
I'm really looking forward to this GB!  Does anybody with Tai-Hao experience know how soon these keycaps tend to get shiny?
<<< Click to view

Offline feizor

So is this going to happen?

Offline badloop

then sort the keycaps and send them out during sem break & before my intern starts

Is there an order form yet? 
PBT FTW

Offline babychoy

I'm really looking forward to this GB!  Does anybody with Tai-Hao experience know how soon these keycaps tend to get shiny?

With frequent use, the caps should get shiny in around two-three weeks as expected of ABS keys.

Offline McWilloughby

With frequent use, the caps should get shiny in around two-three weeks as expected of ABS keys.

I'd disagree with this. I've been using them since they arrived and I type a LOT of documents, the E and T are only just starting to go. If you don't eat at the PC and wash your hands then they won't go shiny for a while.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back

That's awesome, can't wait!

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
in for a purple and blue set.

Offline feizor

I'm in for Olivetti

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Will there be any chance that we could request a properly cut "windows"  key? The current one is quite ugly... And I can't keep my eyes off of it.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline RaVNzCRoFT

• * Commercial Vendor
Will there be any chance that we could request a properly cut "windows"  key? The current one is quite ugly... And I can't keep my eyes off of it.

Agreed, that's the one thing I dislike about these sets.  The Windows XP/7 logo is the best one to use on keycaps.  I think the '98 and 8 logos look pretty ugly.
<<< Click to view

Offline Hak Foo

I sort o like the "head on window" logo-- it looks like a Chinese character (which one?)

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back

Agreed, that's the one thing I dislike about these sets.  The Windows XP/7 logo is the best one to use on keycaps.  I think the '98 and 8 logos look pretty ugly.

Windows 8 logo looks pretty nice imo. XP/7 logo looks to curvy to fit in with the sleek "modern" trend that has been developing. Also whenever I see it I think of the crappy lighting/gradients used to make it look kind of 3D, and just older computers in general. In my mind, Windows 8 -> faster computers, Windows XP -> ****ty old ones. (Reliable, but outdated).

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
I sort o like the "head on window" logo-- it looks like a Chinese character (which one?)

I personally like the Windows 8 Logo (would be easier to cut too), but I wouldn't mind the W7 one either.

Are you referring to "田"? It pretty much means field in Chinese...
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Hak Foo

Yeah; I was posting ffrom a machine without a character map utility to select it, or run it though a  translator.

Maybe 'field' is the perfect symbol for Windows; think of the famous XP wallpaper :)