Author Topic: Deathadder broke, finding a new mouse...  (Read 11330 times)

Offline swordmasterhowe

Deathadder broke, finding a new mouse...
« on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 07:13:09 »
Hi all,

I've been using deathadder mouse for years, the first deathadder (3.5g) that I used lasted for 3 years and the left button and scroll wheel started to malfunction... So I figured that might be me being clumsy and dropping the mouse and bringing the mouse to work and back home.
Then I bought a deathadder (3.5g) black edition. It got some great surface, not shiny and looks professional and all.... So I figured might mistake and make this a home-only mouse and guess what? The scroll wheel broke in 2 years.... :(

The reason why I've being using deathadder for so long is because of the shape, it's large and suits my hand well, and of cause it's cheaper than the mamba.

I would like to know if there's any mouse that's larger/or same form/size with deathadder or better?
I'm ok with it not being a gaming mice as I'll be bringing it to work. For my gaming, I'll also be using the mouse for some FPS, MOBA, RPG games.

In between the 1st deathadder and the black edition, I've also bought and used Steelseries Ikari laser, and well, that mouse doesn't last for half a year and the side buttons and scroll wheel starts to malfunction... :/

I've heard that the IME 3.0 is almost the same form factor as deathadder, what do you think? Or is there any better mouse out there that can suit my need?
If it's ok, I do not want to get another Razer or Steelseries mouse again.

Thanks in advance!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Deathadder broke, finding a new mouse...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 07:16:19 »
The DA is based on the IME 3.0 shape, so they should be nearly identical. CMStorm are also releasing a mouse based on the IME 3.0 soon, that's def worth checking out.

I think the SS Rival is also similar; I know the shape is, but I don't know how it is in terms of size compared to the DA.

Offline swordmasterhowe

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 07:20:27 »
The DA is based on the IME 3.0 shape, so they should be nearly identical. CMStorm are also releasing a mouse based on the IME 3.0 soon, that's def worth checking out.

I think the SS Rival is also similar; I know the shape is, but I don't know how it is in terms of size compared to the DA.

Wow, thanks for the fast response! Glad to hear that the mouse of this shape is not dying out, I think I'll have a look into both CMStorm and SS Rival.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 07:59:23 »
I am also a fan of the Deathadder shape, and have been using it for a long time.

The mouse that is most similar to the Deathadder in terms of shape, but also very similar in terms of performance (sensor without acceleration or prediction, a high enough tracking speed, and several DPI settings comparable to those of the 3.5G) is the Zowie EC1. To give an idea of how similar the two are, here are a few pictures

More

(the one on the far right on the picture above is the EC2, which is similar in shape but slightly smaller)

I have used many of the optical mice with a similar shape and size to the Deathadder , and I felt the EC1 was closest. The most notable differnce between them are that the Deathadder is a little more steep on the right-side, fans out more toward to front and has a scroll-wheel that is placed not as far forward. Also side-button placement is slightly higher on the EC1. In general I can recommend the Zowie mice, I have had great experiences with them and they seem to be generally well regarded.

Getting another 3.5G (if you like the mouse) is not the worst option, since they can be gotten pretty cheap now ($30-$40) as they are mostly treated as excess stock. If you can not find a place to buy them, check out Takasta's ebay store. He even sells special versions that have another coating (personally I am big fan of deathadders with glossy coating, but it is not for everyone)
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2014, 08:16:26 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 08:19:04 »
I am also a fan of the Deathadder shape, and have been using it for a long time.

The mouse that is most similar to the Deathadder in terms of shape, but also very similar in terms of performance (sensor without acceleration or prediction, a high enough tracking speed, and several DPI settings comparable to those of the 3.5G) is the Zowie EC1. To give an idea of how similar the two are, here are a few pictures

More
Show Image

Show Image

(the one on the far right on the picture above is the EC2, which is similar in shape but slightly smaller)
Show Image

I have used many of the optical mice with a similar shape and size to the Deathadder , and I felt the EC1 was closest. The most notable differnce between them are that the Deathadder is a little more steep on the right-side, fans out more toward to front and has a scroll-wheel that is placed not as far forward. Also side-button placement is slightly higher on the EC1. In general I can recommend the Zowie mice, I have had great experiences with them and they seem to be generally well regarded.

Ah, I was unsure about the Zowie mice because while I know they have a similar shape, I always thought they were significantly smaller than the DA.

Offline swordmasterhowe

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 08:25:10 »
More

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Getting another 3.5G (if you like the mouse) is not the worst option, since they can be gotten pretty cheap now ($30-$40) as they are mostly treated as excess stock. If you can not find a place to buy them, check out Takasta's ebay store. He even sells special versions that have another coating (personally I am big fan of deathadders with glossy coating, but it is not for everyone)
Hi, thanks for your reply, I've see your thread too regarding the mouse sensors and its detailed description. It's quite a good guide for me to do some mouse research on. :)

Thanks for the recommendation regarding the zowie ec1, but I heard that the scroll wheel is kinda bad...? Or was it just a malfunction on several batches?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 08:27:18 »
Why not get a new deathadder if you like it? It's not cheap, but it's not over expensive either. You like the shape and the sensor. 2-3 years ain't that bad.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline swordmasterhowe

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 08:33:46 »
Why not get a new deathadder if you like it? It's not cheap, but it's not over expensive either. You like the shape and the sensor. 2-3 years ain't that bad.

Well, I thought that gaming mouse can last for around 5 years or so and 2-3 years is kinda short.  :p
Or was 2-3 years the common life span for a gaming mouse?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 09:22:23 »
Ah, I was unsure about the Zowie mice because while I know they have a similar shape, I always thought they were significantly smaller than the DA.

I've got both of them side by side and the DA2013 and Zowie EC1 eVo are identical in size and shape, maybe you were thinking about the EC2 version.  Although the Zowie is way better quality compared to the Razer junk.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 09:24:58 »
Thanks for the recommendation regarding the zowie ec1, but I heard that the scroll wheel is kinda bad...? Or was it just a malfunction on several batches?

I've got 2 Zowie EC1 eVos and both scroll wheels are fine.  The CL version is way smoother when it scrolls compared to the earlier model.

Offline swordmasterhowe

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 09:38:42 »

I've got 2 Zowie EC1 eVos and both scroll wheels are fine.  The CL version is way smoother when it scrolls compared to the earlier model.

Thanks for clearing my doubts, I think I'll have a go with the Zowie EC evo CL first.  :D

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 10:41:50 »
I don't think I'll ever buy a different style mouse. I also have a Death Adder for 3+ years now and it's never given me problems. If it broke on me, I'd buy the newest DA in an instant. It's the only mouse I've used that is comfortable for a large hand.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 10:51:10 »

It is, but it's considerably narrower than either the DA or the IE 3.0. Here's a side by side:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 16:42:03 »

It is, but it's considerably narrower than either the DA or the IE 3.0. Here's a side by side:

Show Image

You have to admit the IE 3.0 is still one sexy beast after all these years  ;) . 

Beautiful to behold and simply perfect for the right hand and many others try to emulate this mouse, maybe they should just give up because how could you beat perfection like this......

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 20:22:56 »

how could you beat perfection like this
By figuring out what the words "build" and "quality" mean when you put them together. Or just understanding the concept of precision.

Sure, it might hold up well over the years due to the simple construction, but it feels wobbly as all hell and the plastic used doesn't really feel like it's something worth mentioning really.

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 20:55:16 »
Zowie ec1 may be ec2

Visit the Typing Test and try![/sigpic]

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 21:35:13 »
Sure, it might hold up well over the years due to the simple construction, but it feels wobbly as all hell and the plastic used doesn't really feel like it's something worth mentioning really.

Then you're saying it's in the Razer DA category?  The current DA2013 I have is one super-poor quality P.O.S. mouse.  In fact the IE 3.0 is a rolls royce compared to the current razer junk being sold.

Sure the IE 3.0 was no solid input device but it's just like an old car, a few pings and dents yet that baby always worked in every Microsoft OS with no problems whatsoever.   She is a hard worker that keeps on going compared to expensive rubbish being lauded as so-called "Gamer Mice" by Razer  >:D .

If you want to buy the next BEST mouse then the Zowie EC1 eVo CL is the bomb.  It picked up from the IE 3.0 and includes the latest optical sensor perfect for usage on large screens.  Don't have any probs with Zowie CL on any Microsoft OS  :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2014, 21:40:53 by Elrick »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 05:51:59 »

Then you're saying it's in the Razer DA category?  The current DA2013 I have is one super-poor quality P.O.S. mouse.  In fact the IE 3.0 is a rolls royce compared to the current razer junk being sold.

Sure the IE 3.0 was no solid input device but it's just like an old car, a few pings and dents yet that baby always worked in every Microsoft OS with no problems whatsoever.   She is a hard worker that keeps on going compared to expensive rubbish being lauded as so-called "Gamer Mice" by Razer  >:D .

If you want to buy the next BEST mouse then the Zowie EC1 eVo CL is the bomb.  It picked up from the IE 3.0 and includes the latest optical sensor perfect for usage on large screens.  Don't have any probs with Zowie CL on any Microsoft OS  :thumb: .

Nah, my DA2013 feels miles more solid than the IME 3.0. The only mouse I have that's got a similar wobbly and junky feel is the MS/Razer Habu. The shape of a DA with the plastic and wobbly feel of the IME 3.0.

Don't get me wrong, I love the IME 3.0 to bits, and the Habu is one of my all time favs, but you can't honestly say that the IME 3.0 is perfect in every way when the side buttons have a yard of wobble.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 06:25:59 »
Don't get me wrong, I love the IME 3.0 to bits, and the Habu is one of my all time favs, but you can't honestly say that the IME 3.0 is perfect in every way when the side buttons have a yard of wobble.

Oh so the side buttons are a problem for you.  I never use the side buttons simply because my first mouse was an ancient WMO in my early years, now that was a good input device as well.

The shell of my IE 3.0 is no worse than the current DA2013 but the IE 3.0 is way older than Razer's current device.  I doubt my DA2013 will last past this year easily dying some time before 2015.  Not worried, never buying anymore Razer products again.

For me the IE 3.0 is an update to all their earlier efforts and well worth keeping in your collection.  If you have a Razer rodent best to bury it in your back yard as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 January 2014, 06:28:53 by Elrick »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 11:06:18 »
I actually took apart my IE3.0 (the one in the picture) and added some extra padding to the little pieces of plastic that trigger the side switches. It's made a world of different in the feel of the mouse, makes it feel ten times more solid.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 12:17:09 »
If you've been using the side buttons for web browsing (backward and forward), make sure your replacement also has similar buttons. Otherwise believe me, YOU'LL MISS THEM.

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 12:21:18 »
If you've been using the side buttons for web browsing (backward and forward), make sure your replacement also has similar buttons. Otherwise believe me, YOU'LL MISS THEM.

Yeah, losing side buttons is always a pain. There are times I don't need them though; I don't use them much outside of games so it really depends on what kind of games I'm into at the moment. If I'm playing FPS games, chances are I won't care, but if I'm busy playing MMOs like I am at the moment I can't really change. I wanted to change to my IME 3.0 again recently, but the additional buttons on the MS-3 are just too damn convenient.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 12:26:50 »
Funnily enoguh I've never once used them in a game. I just leave them as forward/backward like their default function, and THAT I use all the time. :p

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline JWK

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 12:56:12 »
Logitech Anywhere MX -- I highly recommend it.

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 23:28:08 »
Logitech G602

My favorite mouse

Offline vasouv

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 06:02:31 »
I'm in a similar position as you for quite some time, I love my DeathAdder and its shape since it fits my hand perfectly.

But man it's difficult to find another mouse! I got a Logitech M500 due to the similar size and shape but it feels so cheap! Granted, it cost half the price of the DeathAdder but the plastic is really low quality, the wheel is weird because it has a feature where you can go from 3-page scrolling to free-scrolling...

Honestly I don't know, I'm reluctant to spend 60-70 euros on a mouse anymore, I'm a casual gamer so I don't really care about polling and DPI and drivers and game profiles... However, everything seems way to cheap after using the DeathAdder...

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 06:31:39 »
Hi, I'm the kind of people who likes big mouse, eventhough my hand isn't very big. So the mouse I have been using is the corsair vengeance m65. If you check online,it is a mouse that has quite many good reviews. There are 2 programmable mouse, and a sniper vutton(reduce dpi when u hold down, great for fsp games). You could consider it.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 09:43:08 »
Honestly I don't know, I'm reluctant to spend 60-70 euros on a mouse anymore, I'm a casual gamer so I don't really care about polling and DPI and drivers and game profiles... However, everything seems way to cheap after using the DeathAdder...
It's like mechanical keyboards... You don't know what you're missing until you try it, and then you can't go back. :rolleyes:

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 13:54:32 »
The main problem that most people have with Deathadder malfunction is the plastic plunger on the L/R buttons slowly grinding themselves
over usage, resulting in the flat plunger surface to be concave. What happens is that this no-longer-flat-surface goes over the microswitches and "hugs" them instead of actually pressing them down.

An easy fix is to just open the DA up, use some epoxy, cement, etc. and fill in the concave gap to flatten the plunger again.
I actually used dental cement (something my dad had left over from his lab). After letting it cure, the switch action felt
solid again.

That said, if you are looking for a new mouse, the Zowies are great. DA's are known to have good sensors, but like all Razer equiptment,
the build quality is questionable..very questionable  :)).

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:19:41 »
I love my Roccat Kone Pure. It fits my hand really nicely ( if a bit small ) and it has a nice weight to it. Its sensor has a great range - I use it at about 4000 - and the Omron switches feel fantastic. Also, if you're in the UK, the Colour edition ones are on sale on Amazon. My favourite part about the Kone Pure, however, is the scroll wheel. It's sturdy, responsive, and very well placed. All this and its the only mouse so far that doesn't make my hands sweat after extended use!
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 15:28:01 by Protato_Tubby »
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline swordmasterhowe

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 00:41:48 »
The main problem that most people have with Deathadder malfunction is the plastic plunger on the L/R buttons slowly grinding themselves
over usage, resulting in the flat plunger surface to be concave. What happens is that this no-longer-flat-surface goes over the microswitches and "hugs" them instead of actually pressing them down.

An easy fix is to just open the DA up, use some epoxy, cement, etc. and fill in the concave gap to flatten the plunger again.
I actually used dental cement (something my dad had left over from his lab). After letting it cure, the switch action felt
solid again.

That said, if you are looking for a new mouse, the Zowies are great. DA's are known to have good sensors, but like all Razer equiptment,
the build quality is questionable..very questionable  :)).

Well, for me the DA's side buttons worked well, the problem is with the scroll wheel, AND my second DA mouse's right button had clicking issues together with the scroll wheel problem. I did open it up to try to clean up the dust, but the problem (scroll wheel, can't fix that right mouse button) just keep coming back after 1~2 weeks.

And an update to the topic, I've bought both IME 3.0 (for office use) and Zowie EC 1 evo CL (for home use). It's all working fine so far and it feels comfortable like the DAs. Now it'll just be the longevity test, see if it can last longer than my previous DAs. :D

Offline swordmasterhowe

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 00:54:53 »
I'm in a similar position as you for quite some time, I love my DeathAdder and its shape since it fits my hand perfectly.

But man it's difficult to find another mouse! I got a Logitech M500 due to the similar size and shape but it feels so cheap! Granted, it cost half the price of the DeathAdder but the plastic is really low quality, the wheel is weird because it has a feature where you can go from 3-page scrolling to free-scrolling...

I feel you man, for me I don't care if the mouse is having a tons of buttons or it's super customizable, I'd just prefer to have a mouse that I can comfortably use for more than 6 hours a day (might be more than that, seeing as I'm working for 8 hours in the day and still surf/play games on and off in the night/weekends). Of cause with at least 2 side buttons, makes browsing much more convenient.

And regarding the DA replacement, I've being using both IME 3.0 and Zowie EC1 evo CL for more than 3 months now and it's actually pretty damn comfortable, the quality seems good, but they haven't pass my longevity test since it's only 3 months old. Though 1 thing I can guarantee is that I get used to this 2 mouse pretty fast, consider how similar the shape is to DA. You might wanna take a look at these 2 mouse and see if it clicks with you or read through some of the discussion on this forum regarding this 2 mice.  :thumb:

Offline vasouv

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 04:17:08 »
Well last week I received my IME 3.0 from ebay but... quality is so much inferior to what I'm used to with the DA... Shape's fine and all but once you get used to the higher-tier stuff, everything else seems pointless.

The side buttons are flimsy and cheap, the plastic is cheap, the click buttons are cheap. That's the price you pay of course, the DeathAdder costs around 60 euro and the IME cost me a mere 20 euro, you can't expect to have the same experience with such price differences.

I'll be sticking to my DA intil it fails completely and then we'll see, I'm keeping an eye on Zowies but they're in a price-range I don't want to go right now...

Offline Prelim

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 14:58:10 »
why not SS Rival?
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau