Author Topic: the ugliest gamepad  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Lanx

the ugliest gamepad
« on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:53:59 »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aimpad/aimpadtm-pc-gaming-analog-keyboard

don't get me wrong i understand it simulates analogue controls on a cherry switch, the tech actually looks nice, pretty sure it's even patented, however this is one ugly ass keyboard. they have like a 10 person team and not one person said, this **** is ugly as hell, totally un-ergonomic and is just **** looking?

what do gamers think?

Offline Bucake

Re: the ugliest gamepad
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 07:53:25 »
it does look stupid :D but it's still an early-stage prototype.
the layout on that prototype is pretty crap and i would not like that wrist-rest bit either.
i also think their (complete) logo and text below it ("The analog WASD Company" - haha) look pretty stupid.

apart from that, though, it does sound nice to me.
they mentioned that they can get this to work with 'virtually any game'. i definitely want to try this out on some fps games.
i'm very curious to how precise this would be. if they can actually get this to work as smoothly as analog sticks on controllers work, then i'm pretty sure i will back this one.

edit: dye-subbed PBTs, baby
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 08:05:34 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Coreda

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 08:31:37 »
Already a thread about this. I think the tech is more interesting than the design, and I'm looking forward to similar depth sensors in the future.

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 08:31:15 »
I think this is likely the ugliest gamepad:

Thought the idea is actually quite interesting.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/03/sinister-gamepad-hands-on/

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 17:13:08 »
I think this is likely the ugliest gamepad:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/03/sinister-gamepad-hands-on/

Completely off-topic, but recognized your avatar from Hyper Light Drifter. Was impressed with the fluid animations, and kept it in mind in case of a thread on great in-game sprites.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 21:29:21 »
don't get me wrong i understand it simulates analogue controls on a cherry switch, the tech actually looks nice, pretty sure it's even patented, however this is one ugly ass keyboard. they have like a 10 person team and not one person said, this **** is ugly as hell, totally un-ergonomic and is just **** looking?
I think they basically got the analog switch part working and put up a kickstarter, before they’d figured out what the design should look like. In that other thread though, they’ve been somewhat willing to engage with criticism though, so hopefully their final design is a bit prettier / more carefully designed.

Personally, I think they would have been better off if they had solicited feedback and worked on the design *before* putting up the Kickstarter, since many folks will get the wrong idea from the current images.

Offline islisis

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 12:53:52 »
here is a mod by ben heck using hall effect sensors
http://benheck.com/11-25-2012/episode-56-analog-wasd-pc-gaming-keyboard
interesting idea although i think an analog stick is more comfortable
but the real problem is that barely any games support analog+mouse. hope that situation improves with all the new devices coming out

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 06:20:20 »
I love the idea of not running a marathon every time I move. Maybe I'll pick one up for the heck of it, since I still want to use a mouse.
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 07:06:26 »
Playing a racing game with a keyboard... No.

Other than that it's a fine idea I guess? but a dumb kickstarter. This thing is so far from production it seems dumb to put down money for it.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 14:32:49 »
yea the design of that prototype is balls.  make it ergonomic and you will get some money from me. also it would be nice if it came with an aluminum case and rubber feet. i wouldnt want an analogue pad like this to slide around.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid