Author Topic: [IC] Various acrylic cases/lube stations - Express your choices  (Read 12339 times)

Offline justnits

Re: [IC] Various acrylic cases/lube stations - Express your choices
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 01:07:39 »
Also full size Filco would be cool

Full-size, I have not designed any case thus far, as I am unsure of any standards (If they exist), the closest thing to full case is the Phantom/QFR/TKL and GHPad combined case.

hey moz, wat are the things you need to design cases if i don't have dwg files for it?
will a scan of the pcb works?
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 07:13:56 »
A scan should work at least as a starting point. Based on the scan I can make judgement on what other dimensions I need.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:39:36 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

If I could get an acrylic case that looks just like that for my Phantom I would pledge my undying devotion you.
I would love a TKL like that as well.

Possibly a numpad too, provided we can design one that will fit the extra row of the Leopold FC 210TP.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:07:20 »
Interested in a 60 percent case. Hhkb style

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 14:29:35 »
Today, I built my second keyboard ever, a Leeku 1800 PCB inside my custom Magic School Bus case, and I faced a problem which WhiskyTnago had warned me about earlier, the Cherry PCB mount stabs colide with the acrylic plate.

Now, this issue arises due to the thickness of the acrylic plate, which would be much too fragile at the Cherry specified 1.5mm, thus a 2.5-3mm plate is used. Using Cherry Plate munt stabs is just impossible, with modding them and then gluing them. Costar stabs can be used by gluing them to the plate. Cherry PCB mount stabs can be used, however it means elongating he current stab hole further, which will remove compatibility for the costar stabs.

What does this mean? For acrylic palte, one needs two desing,s one supporting Cherry PCB mounted stabs (Recommended), and the other, supporting Costar stabs.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 15:25:14 »
Today, I built my second keyboard ever, a Leeku 1800 PCB inside my custom Magic School Bus case, and I faced a problem which WhiskyTnago had warned me about earlier, the Cherry PCB mount stabs colide with the acrylic plate.

Now, this issue arises due to the thickness of the acrylic plate, which would be much too fragile at the Cherry specified 1.5mm, thus a 2.5-3mm plate is used. Using Cherry Plate munt stabs is just impossible, with modding them and then gluing them. Costar stabs can be used by gluing them to the plate. Cherry PCB mount stabs can be used, however it means elongating he current stab hole further, which will remove compatibility for the costar stabs.

What does this mean? For acrylic palte, one needs two desing,s one supporting Cherry PCB mounted stabs (Recommended), and the other, supporting Costar stabs.

MOZ, how hard do you think it would be to remove material on the underside of the plate around the stabilizer hole? Like make the edge beveled? Or engrave it a bit like your laser guy did for the initial ghpad cases?

I agree with you though, i would prefer the plate to only support cherry pcb mount stabs, and thus have bigger holes. Like the holes for the spacebar stabilizer on WYSE plates. That way you could also use the older style PCB stabs that use a screw on the bottom becasue they are actually larger than normal Cherry PCB stabs.

So how does the magic school bus look? I need to finish my leeku and post pics. I still have to mod the switch tops to allow removal with LED in place, install LEDs, install smd diodes and resistors.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 15:34:02 »
It's looking great, I lost one of the small cosmetic pieces, so I didn't post pics.

For the plate, I did have to file my own plate for the 1800, it took only 1 min per stab, but there is uneven-ness, as for laser etching, I've tried it previously and to get good results, it is much too expensive, perhaps a steel/alu plate would be in close price range, so it doesn't make sense. The Koreans usually just have larger holes for the PCB mount stabs.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 16:04:28 »
I'd take a lube station in AN-993Fl Green
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:32:31 by exitfire401 »
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 16:06:38 »
It's looking great, I lost one of the small cosmetic pieces, so I didn't post pics.

For the plate, I did have to file my own plate for the 1800, it took only 1 min per stab, but there is uneven-ness, as for laser etching, I've tried it previously and to get good results, it is much too expensive, perhaps a steel/alu plate would be in close price range, so it doesn't make sense. The Koreans usually just have larger holes for the PCB mount stabs.

Yeah, the Koreans rally seem to love their PCB stabs. The main issue I see with hem though is that they are difficult to remove or repair if needed without desoldering the whole plate. Looking forward to some pics of the school bus!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 16:13:21 »
Finally assembled this last night. GHpad. I agree about the stabilizer holes, they need to just be bigger and only allow for PCB mount stabs.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 16:18:57 »
Finally assembled this last night. GHpad. I agree about the stabilizer holes, they need to just be bigger and only allow for PCB mount stabs.

Show Image

Hey, no fair, you got a 4x5 case!?  :p

Looks great.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 16:33:21 »

Hey, no fair, you got a 4x5 case!?  :p

Looks great.
Yes I need a case like that :o

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 16:35:02 »
Thanks! I've been holding onto this case for quite some time now, right MOZ? Way before we got those 4x5 PCBs from phatdood9. ;D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 16:41:54 »
Thanks! I've been holding onto this case for quite some time now, right MOZ? Way before we got those 4x5 PCBs from phatdood9. ;D

We need a reliable source of these things in the USA, no offense to MOZ, just saying :P

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 17:07:27 »
Yes, I didn't even know what it was for back then, surprised the 4x5 fits in so well.

And ray, no offence taken, I thought this was easy, but it is only until you are getting cases done for yourself, once you start getting a few, things get messy, with all the layouts, colors, thickness, what not.

Offline jebbs

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 20:52:38 »
Any idea how many layers the case would be?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:36:22 »
Depends on the case, most are 5 3mm layers.

I will most likely not be able to run this for a while, as I just lost $500 worth of acrylic:

Just when I thought that I had a good day (shipped a bunch of stuff, got most of the switch stickers, got my 1800 running without a hitch), I was reminded of how much my life sucked and I was playing it on legendary level. My acrylic workshop's owner got a heart attack while I was in Joburg, and passed away. Thus means they had to shut down shop, and one of the workers there, that I had befriended also went back to his village. I do wish my condolences to the owner, however I had acrylic sheets worth $500 sitting in his shop, which was sold by his next of kin, along with all the stuff inside.

Offline jebbs

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 02:54:50 »
Depends on the case, most are 5 3mm layers.

I will most likely not be able to run this for a while, as I just lost $500 worth of acrylic:

Just when I thought that I had a good day (shipped a bunch of stuff, got most of the switch stickers, got my 1800 running without a hitch), I was reminded of how much my life sucked and I was playing it on legendary level. My acrylic workshop's owner got a heart attack while I was in Joburg, and passed away. Thus means they had to shut down shop, and one of the workers there, that I had befriended also went back to his village. I do wish my condolences to the owner, however I had acrylic sheets worth $500 sitting in his shop, which was sold by his next of kin, along with all the stuff inside.

Oh my, I'm sorry for your loss. Take your time with whatever you need to do.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 13:51:17 »
I highly doubt this is going to happen since I am a little busy and by the time I get free, I will run into my exams.

I was however supposed to send someone replacements for a custom order I did, since I will have to buy those acrylic sheets, I will take some orders in the Artisan section for cases cut in those colors only. So keep an eye out.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:36:28 »
Oh I'll be keeping an eye out alright.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 13:10:13 »
Oh I'll be keeping an eye out alright.

(Attachment Link)
And eye as well!

Always interested in acryllic cases!