Author Topic: [IC] New RGB LED based Cherry typing surface.  (Read 13644 times)

Offline The Hammer

[IC] New RGB LED based Cherry typing surface.
« on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 02:19:23 »
Hi! First, as I am a new user I know there's likely a lot of doubt about my ability/knowledge, but I am actually quite far along in developing a RGB LED Cherry MX keyboard! That should speak to my ability at least partially. :thumb:

I'm already about 95% done with the PCB (which was NOT an easy task compared to how it should have been as the whole board needed hand routing), roughly 85% done with the programming, and am working on the casing/plate CADs at the moment. I know that Corsair is going to be putting out a different RGB LED keyboard with surface mount (from what their videos depict) LEDs in a while as well, but I started my project before any news of that was available to me, and I rather don't like the Cherry MX RGB Red/Blue/Brown switches. I don't like them if for no other reason than they seem to absolutely puke light all over the keyboard. There's also the fact that they are only in the Red, Brown, and Blue variety currently. So, at the very least I'll be building one of my own. So far I can say that my keyboard has a unique pack of features for a keyboard of it's type.

• Black anodized Aluminum mount plate that is also the keyboard surface (Corsair similar style).
  • Special Micro-USB B 3.0 ccable which allows for USB pass through, or just use a more or less ubiquitous Micro-USB 2.0 cable.
  • F~ keys become reprogrammable macro keys (up to 24) that are stored on the keyboard. :cool:
  • Each key is independently color controlled and stored on the keyboard (each key has a total of 32,768 possible colors). This could be considered a custom lighting zone.
  • Easily changed lighting zones (doesn't change colors). So far I have zones made for RTS, MMORPG, FPS.
  • Any key can be "muted" where it goes dim, and will not register key presses. Beneficial to get rid of Windows keys while gaming in a short keystroke.  :thumb:
  • Computer volume can be muted from the same key.
  • 4 brightness levels that effect the entire board: full, 3/4, 2/4, 1/4, and off.
  • Key trail option: any key that is pressed changes colors to anything you decide and fades back to it's "normal" programmed color.  :cool:

There are a couple things that need to be finished before I produce these still. Some of them include deciding on if I want to place the USB connector on the bottom for cable routing/stress relief, and trying to find keycaps that do such a beauty justice. I'm trying to find a set similar to what's on the Saitek Eclipse original where all the keys are Cherry row 3 aka C, reflective/metallic silver, and the legend is clear. I can get a set like this made of ABS from Signature.. but at around $750.. :eek: I wonder how much for a normal ANSI set with silver/clear legends, and maybe I should just use that *sigh* ?

I do have an image that may entice people, and show of my intent. So far from all the price ranges I've been hearing after the first 5 of these are produced I should be able to sell these for $270-$310.

Obviously, when I'm ready to send these out I'll accept any reasonable custom switch requests dealing with Cherries.
So, who might be interested in this once I'm ready for production? Who has suggestions? Oh, and the chips you see on there are being changed out. Just FYI. Needed sizing ideas is all.
*edited* Changed the image to the key sizes. Thought I posted this to begin with, and the actual PCB is below.  :-[
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:48:18 by The Hammer »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: New RGB LED based Cherry typing surface.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 02:39:54 »
Sounds interesting  :thumb:

If everything works as described, I might be interested in a TKL version.

Offline Shayde

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 05:33:40 »
How're you adding RGB LEDs to standard Cherry switches?
Collector-of-switches.  Cherry: red, brown, blue, black, grey (linear), green.  Alps: simp./comp. white, comp. blue, Matias.  NMB: white, black.  Futaba: Cherry stem.  Omron: yellow.  Topre: 45g  Various: Apple II+, TRS80 Model 1, C64, Acorn Electron, ZX81 (lol!).

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:42:39 »
I've seen similar prototype on EnjoyClick. Do you happen to be the same guy?
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:53:30 »
That is one heck of a first post!  :eek:

Welcome to GeekHack.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:00:44 »
You have my attention.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:19:14 »
I would DEFINITELY be interested. Very nice  :thumb:
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline pmh1410

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:46:06 »
Very interesting :)
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club

Keyboards Collection: Powered by OTD
TKL: 360C Hyper Silver, Cheat B/R/B
Mini: 356mini Red, Duck Poker + 38GT.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 10:46:16 »
Neat! Welcome to GH!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 10:50:42 »

Interested in seeing how you're fitting a 4pin RGB LED in the switch as well.

And posting here so I can remember to check back!  :thumb:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 11:00:11 »
Very interested. And you 'll have option without your keycaps? Some people wanna use keycaps which they had :)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 11:45:49 »
I see in your preliminary PCB design that you have LEDs on both sides of the PCB going to and through the centre hole and the two pin-holes on the left and right of every switch. I suppose that they are supposed to be plated through to connect between sides. Usually, these holes are just drilled through with no connect.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 14:30:16 »
Is it just me, or I don't see a controller on that PCB.

Excellent use of the Cherry mounting pins as vias, although I am not sure on the electrical implications of such large vias.

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 16:06:59 »
Sounds interesting  :thumb:

If everything works as described, I might be interested in a TKL version.

A close friend of mine was requesting exactly this, so I can say that you WILL see one.. eventually. I'm just one person, and it takes a lot of work. :p

To be honest I haven't heard of it. Might be blasphemes, but I'll check it out and see later today.

*edit* I looked, didn't realize it was in another language. I have no idea which post you mean, maybe you can link it?

Elongating the LED lead hole on each by a bit to fit them, and not all RGB LEDs have to be round. They're still technically 5mm, but they fit.

I would DEFINITELY be interested. Very nice  :thumb:
See below for more enticement.  ;D

You have my attention.
:thumb: Stay tuned.

That is one heck of a first post!  :eek:

Welcome to GeekHack.
Thanks! You guys have all helped me so much with the development of this keyboard without me even having an account yet. You guys are a wealth of keyboard resources.  :cool:

Very interesting :)
More pics below. lol

Very interested. And you 'll have option without your keycaps? Some people wanna use keycaps which they had :)
You can definitely use any keycap that will allow an LED to slide under it. I've noticed key caps that are so thick they are nearly molded to the key switches.  :( I haven't for sure decided on which key caps will ship with this, but as this is a very debatable topic I'm open to suggestions.

Interested in seeing how you're fitting a 4pin RGB LED in the switch as well.

And posting here so I can remember to check back!  :thumb:
See above, and below.  :thumb:

I see in your preliminary PCB design that you have LEDs on both sides of the PCB going to and through the centre hole and the two pin-holes on the left and right of every switch. I suppose that they are supposed to be plated through to connect between sides. Usually, these holes are just drilled through with no connect.
So YOU made me die last night in LoL!  ;D
No, I had noticed more hits on my site (expected), but I wasn't expecting people to snoop deeper.
I'll post a more up to date pic of the PCB below as well. I'm not sure what you mean by an LED through center holes? I routed some of the traces including some for the LEDs through the center holes in order to make use of all the holes as routable vias? Cherry switches are only plastic on those holes, so there's no contact.

Neat! Welcome to GH!
Thanks!

Is it just me, or I don't see a controller on that PCB.

Excellent use of the Cherry mounting pins as vias, although I am not sure on the electrical implications of such large vias.

Not yet. I have a choice to make between certain controllers still, and I've been debating on putting it on a board under the main PBC with the Micro-USB 3.0 connector so people can route cables under the KB and it relieves cable stress.

Alright, more juicy pics time:  :cool:

All hand routed. Makes it look a lot more pretty than a machine, but it was the only way.  :cool:

« Last Edit: Wed, 19 March 2014, 16:14:22 by The Hammer »

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 16:25:58 »
Ah! I should mention that the people whom have helped me get their names shown off as gold exposed traces on the board, as well as the first 5 people to buy it! The first five will be more expensive (fab house tooling, initial costs, ect, ect).

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 18:42:39 »
To be honest I haven't heard of it. Might be blasphemes, but I'll check it out and see later today.

*edit* I looked, didn't realize it was in another language. I have no idea which post you mean, maybe you can link it?

Here is the link of the post on EC.
http://www.enjoyclick.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=5815&extra=page%3D1

and a more detailed post of the same prototype on ChipHell.
http://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=979005&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D286

I'm just curious whether you happen to be the same guy, cuz there's a famous guy in China also named Hammer and the fact that I've seen similar prototype on a Chinese forum makes me think you might be the same guy making that prototype. I haven't looked into the detail of that prototype. There could be some difference between the two projects, but anyway, I just want to let you know there is similar project going on out there.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 19:10:36 »
Wow. This looks awesome. Unfortunately, I can't express any interest because I just spent a metrick ****ton on customizing my race 2. Good luck though!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 20:31:40 »

Here is the link of the post on EC.
http://www.enjoyclick.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=5815&extra=page%3D1

and a more detailed post of the same prototype on ChipHell.
http://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=979005&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D286

I'm just curious whether you happen to be the same guy, cuz there's a famous guy in China also named Hammer and the fact that I've seen similar prototype on a Chinese forum makes me think you might be the same guy making that prototype. I haven't looked into the detail of that prototype. There could be some difference between the two projects, but anyway, I just want to let you know there is similar project going on out there.
I'm not, actually. That's totally weird. I don't speak/read that language. 0.o What a crazy coincidence.

I tried using Google translate for the entire page. It did not help much.  ^-^ I did see some of those images, and from what I can tell he's either using the Cherry MX RGB switches, or something similar that he put together from other switches. I would not use those style of key switch.. personally I believe they throw so much light all around the key switch that it's actually a nuisance. It doesn't seem to produce the even lighting effect that was hoped for without extreme brightness that just contributes to the problem I mentioned.

Wow. This looks awesome. Unfortunately, I can't express any interest because I just spent a metrick ****ton on customizing my race 2. Good luck though!
One day, maybe. At least you get to look at it for now.  :)

Offline tbc

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 21:09:25 »
your board has the led underneath the legend like other non-custom backlit boards do?  That's what I'm seeing so far, but let me know if that's not the case.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 21:10:15 »
Another hammer with a similar project, that is quite of a coincidence. Anyways, personally I'd prefer my board to be quite simple, of course not the main stream around, though. I am pretty sure that many will jump in this wagon.

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 21:58:06 »
your board has the led underneath the legend like other non-custom backlit boards do?  That's what I'm seeing so far, but let me know if that's not the case.
Yes, you're completely correct. The pictures above include some pictures of a Cherry MX Blue and a Cherry MX Brown with the same RGB LED underneath the caps. They are in the same spot as other keyboards with non-custom LED backlighting. :thumb:

Another hammer with a similar project, that is quite of a coincidence. Anyways, personally I'd prefer my board to be quite simple, of course not the main stream around, though. I am pretty sure that many will jump in this wagon.
We meet again!

I see where you're coming from (especially with all the programming I've been doing I totally understand your desire for simplicity), and I have put forth as much effort as possible to make this a standard Cherry MX KB with the addition of LEDs with all the bells and whistles being controlled by merely an additional 3 keys.

Thanks for the re-assurance! I'm trying to keep up right now with anybody's questions/suggestions.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 22:06:34 »
Yes, you're completely correct. The pictures above include some pictures of a Cherry MX Blue and a Cherry MX Brown with the same RGB LED underneath the caps. They are in the same spot as other keyboards with non-custom LED backlighting. :thumb:

We meet again!

I see where you're coming from (especially with all the programming I've been doing I totally understand your desire for simplicity), and I have put forth as much effort as possible to make this a standard Cherry MX KB with the addition of LEDs with all the bells and whistles being controlled by merely an additional 3 keys.

Thanks for the re-assurance! I'm trying to keep up right now with anybody's questions/suggestions.

If you ever build a 60% with arrows, I may be interested.

Offline justnits

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:05:38 »
wow...
this is the 2nd rgb pcb project, first one being the one from EC, developed by a highschool kid  :eek:

here's the comparison from what i can understand from the 2 projects so far:-
Hammer's RGB Board
More interesting lighting modes
Uses regular cherry mx switch with 4 pin RGB led
Estimated price: USD$270-310

EC's ILIKE RGB Prototype
2 Lightning Mode as of now, full backlit with "rainbow" flow and reactive, small ripple mode.
Uses cherry mx rgb switch with built-in smd rgb led
Estimated price: USD$120-140 or RMB799
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:30:44 »
Hmmm, do you have a link to an example? If I can get good prices it may be worth it to you.

wow...
this is the 2nd rgb pcb project, first one being the one from EC, developed by a highschool kid  :eek:

Hammer's RGB Board

EC's ILIKE RGB Prototype
2 Lightning Mode as of now, full backlit with "rainbow" flow and reactive, small ripple mode.
*edit* He does have some interesting features like the ripple, or wave effect.. but I wonder if those are incredibly distracting, or actually interesting to use? Maybe I should consider programming something like that in.. Hmm.. I know the Corsair upcoming keyboard does these things. Opinions?

My prices are still estimates. They may go down if I find cheaper fabricators, but I won't be looking into that until I am ready for production so that I can talk to people more explicitly. ;D My guess would be that I may be ready for this in about two months. Thinking about doing a KickStart project to get moving with this a little earlier.

Honestly, I'm surprised that guy got it so cheap considering everything I've been looking at! That's damn impressive! I think he's got less components, and uses pre-existing cases. Where I'm using a custom plate mount. I can't seem to read what's written, but that would be my guess.  Part of the issue for me is that there's still some minor modification to each key switch that needs to be done. Takes up a decent chunk of time to modify 535 switches for just 5 KB. ;)

Where are some good cheap dealers of Cherry key switches? I think I've seen MaxKeyboards sells a set of 110 for around $55, and I saw a group buy somewhere with almost twice as expensive switches (typically .65 EU a piece :eek:).. I am about to look through Cherry's list of dealers on their site to check out their MOQs and availability, but maybe there are places I'm not considering?

*edit again* I changed the image in my first post to the key sizes currently. I'm going to be changing the Control keys to 1.25, and spacebar to 6 to true ANSI. *edit* 6.25x spacebar.. typo fails..
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 March 2014, 23:51:24 by The Hammer »

Offline Shayde

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:56:13 »

Elongating the LED lead hole on each by a bit to fit them, and not all RGB LEDs have to be round. They're still technically 5mm, but they fit.

Cherry switches only have the two LED lead holes though, right?  And RGB LEDs have four leads.  Do you feed two leads into one hole or something?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to bag on your project.  It's very cool, I'm just curious how you solved the RGB LED in Cherry switch problem.
Collector-of-switches.  Cherry: red, brown, blue, black, grey (linear), green.  Alps: simp./comp. white, comp. blue, Matias.  NMB: white, black.  Futaba: Cherry stem.  Omron: yellow.  Topre: 45g  Various: Apple II+, TRS80 Model 1, C64, Acorn Electron, ZX81 (lol!).

Offline Matchstix

Re: [IC] New RGB LED based Cherry typing surface.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 01:48:23 »

Cherry switches only have the two LED lead holes though, right?  And RGB LEDs have four leads.  Do you feed two leads into one hole or something?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to bag on your project.  It's very cool, I'm just curious how you solved the RGB LED in Cherry switch problem.

Part of the issue for me is that there's still some minor modification to each key switch that needs to be done. Takes up a decent chunk of time to modify 535 switches for just 5 KB.

Perhaps the modification is drilling additional holes or creating routing channels?

Looks like a very cool project, though I too would like to see a 60% or 70% board with lights like these.

Das Ultimate S

Offline tbc

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 01:51:23 »
*edit* He does have some interesting features like the ripple, or wave effect.. but I wonder if those are incredibly distracting, or actually interesting to use? Maybe I should consider programming something like that in.. Hmm.. I know the Corsair upcoming keyboard does these things. Opinions?

The Ducky Shine 3 does those things now. ripple or life is just not worth living.... :D
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline justnits

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 03:21:14 »
Hmmm, do you have a link to an example? If I can get good prices it may be worth it to you.

wow...

Hammer's RGB Board

EC's ILIKE RGB Prototype

My prices are still estimates. They may go down if I find cheaper fabricators, but I won't be looking into that until I am ready for production so that I can talk to people more explicitly. ;D My guess would be that I may be ready for this in about two months. Thinking about doing a KickStart project to get moving with this a little earlier.

Honestly, I'm surprised that guy got it so cheap considering everything I've been looking at! That's damn impressive! I think he's got less components, and uses pre-existing cases. Where I'm using a custom plate mount. I can't seem to read what's written, but that would be my guess.  Part of the issue for me is that there's still some minor modification to each key switch that needs to be done. Takes up a decent chunk of time to modify 535 switches for just 5 KB. ;)

Where are some good cheap dealers of Cherry key switches? I think I've seen MaxKeyboards sells a set of 110 for around $55, and I saw a group buy somewhere with almost twice as expensive switches (typically .65 EU a piece :eek:).. I am about to look through Cherry's list of dealers on their site to check out their MOQs and availability, but maybe there are places I'm not considering?

*edit again* I changed the image in my first post to the key sizes currently. I'm going to be changing the Control keys to 1.25, and spacebar to 6 to true ANSI.

though it's nice to have all this nifty lighting modes...but as for me, i'll probably just prefer to customize my own colour on different keys and set them to lit up all the time.
but i like that idea of yours that makes the led change to another colour as i press them (pretty sure this mode isn't good for when u r entering your password)
if there's a slow "dim out" and "dim in" transition, it'll be awesome! imagine a fluid led ripple effect.
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 04:50:44 »

Nope! Strike one! I'm not offended, either. I expected questions.

As far as I've seen ALL Cherry MX switches have the two inner holes for a normal 3mm T1 LED, and two outer holes for a regular diode. It would not have made sense to do otherwise, as just about every Cherry switch I've seen has a spot for said LED it stands to reason that they also have the lead holes at the bottom of the switch for those LEDs. It would also stand to reason that all of their MX key switches leave the option for embedded switch diodes to be in their switches as well meaning that the outer two holes would need to be present.

Part of the issue for me is that there's still some minor modification to each key switch that needs to be done. Takes up a decent chunk of time to modify 535 switches for just 5 KB.

Perhaps the modification is drilling additional holes or creating routing channels?

Looks like a very cool project, though I too would like to see a 60% or 70% board with lights like these.

Links to the 60%-70%, as I'm honestly unfamiliar with those? A TKL is in the works, but a ways off yet. Is the 70% the TKL??

And, no, thank goodness, no (see above). I would NOT modify these switches at their base as it might effect their "feel". I would have given up on this project months ago. All the switches have 4 holes.

The Ducky Shine 3 does those things now. ripple or life is just not worth living.... :D
Gotcha, I can work on adding that in, but it will take me a while to program that in. Exactly what styles of the ripple are you interested in? Whole keyboard ripple? Mini ring ripple? Not adding additional chips to this board will likely limit me with this a bit, but it should still be possible.

wow...

Hammer's RGB Board

EC's ILIKE RGB Prototype

*edit again* I changed the image in my first post to the key sizes currently. I'm going to be changing the Control keys to 1.25, and spacebar to 6 to true ANSI.

though it's nice to have all this nifty lighting modes...but as for me, i'll probably just prefer to customize my own colour on different keys and set them to lit up all the time.
but i like that idea of yours that makes the led change to another colour as i press them (pretty sure this mode isn't good for when u r entering your password)
if there's a slow "dim out" and "dim in" transition, it'll be awesome! imagine a fluid led ripple effect.
Ah, truth as far as the passwords go. I hadn't thought of these things. I currently have the fade effect at one second from any color (pressed) to any color (normal), and have been considering options for user specified lengths of time. :thumb: Though, it's an option that can be disabled/enabled currently.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 March 2014, 05:25:27 by The Hammer »

Offline Shayde

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 06:16:46 »

Nope! Strike one! I'm not offended, either. I expected questions.

As far as I've seen ALL Cherry MX switches have the two inner holes for a normal 3mm T1 LED, and two outer holes for a regular diode. It would not have made sense to do otherwise, as just about every Cherry switch I've seen has a spot for said LED it stands to reason that they also have the lead holes at the bottom of the switch for those LEDs. It would also stand to reason that all of their MX key switches leave the option for embedded switch diodes to be in their switches as well meaning that the outer two holes would need to be present.

Oh wow, you're right, I never noticed that before.  I saw the two holes at the top but didn't notice the switch had four holes on the bottom.  I can see it'd be a bit tricky threading the leads into them which I assume your modification makes easier?  In any case, nice work.   :thumb:

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 01:49:36 »
Oh wow, you're right, I never noticed that before.  I saw the two holes at the top but didn't notice the switch had four holes on the bottom.  I can see it'd be a bit tricky threading the leads into them which I assume your modification makes easier?  In any case, nice work.   :thumb:
I'm here to serve.. keyboards.. lol

I'm ordering a test PCB from OSH Park in a minute just to affirm that my board will go through the fab processes alright. I'm just going to make sure I didn't screw anything up, yada, yada. I have noticed that there's not much room to fit the regular TO-35 diodes in. I would like to add about 2mm to the length between all the insert points eventually, but they do fit it from what I can see.

Offline keymaster3

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 19:11:38 »
Dam thats pretty interesting man
[WTB] BROCAP V2! Send em my way boys ;)

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 22:00:33 »
Hey guys! I am about to order some test boards that may also serve as good sampler pieces. There will be a coin cell battery that will drive all the LEDs based on what button is pushed (Red, Green, Blue, or all at the same time.

Anybody want it? I'm going to have six made. Two are spoken for. If you pay for the shipping, and $10 to offset the costs I'd be much appreciative.
I'm going to go make another [IC] about it as well. I'll use any suggested reasonable types of MX switches requested.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56184.0

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 March 2014, 22:02:35 by The Hammer »

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 10:51:18 »
Update on the board, and finished programming the zones. At least all the ones I think are worth putting in. Anyone still keeping up with me here?

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 08:59:35 »
You posted before that you were using a 'true' ANSI spacebar which was 6x, isn't true ANSI 6.25x?

Fuus
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 23:47:43 »
To be honest, I'm not sure. I don't believe so. These images off wiki with a supposedly standard ANSI keyboard layout seems to suggest 6.25x is correct.

Supposedly, WASD is in agreement. They have similar drawings on Ebay with the same sizes.

I've had a hard time trying to find direct information on this though. :blank:

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 23:52:27 »
You posted before that you were using a 'true' ANSI spacebar which was 6x, isn't true ANSI 6.25x?

Fuus
Oh, hold on. I mis-read you. Yes, ANSI is 6.25x. It was actually a typo. I've edited the keyboard to be 6.25x.  :-[ Gotta stop doing forums so late at night..

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 06:59:32 »
I'm sure I won't be able to afford this, but I think it's a pretty awesome project!

Thanks, Fuus
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline ericdrum

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 08:54:28 »
Super interesting!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 14:56:30 »
Cool stuff. Interested in seeing where this goes.

I'm a bit burned on backlighting after having a board with it -- it looks cool for a bit, but it feels a lot like a gimmick to me. I don't like computing in the dark anyway.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline badman5

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:13:43 »
I'm "interested" but i would first like to see a picture/video of the completed product. And i would be willing to pay at most $250/260 for a kb like this. No hurry thou I'll wait too see you finished work so you have several months ahead of you.

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 16:20:49 »
Cool stuff. Interested in seeing where this goes.

I'm a bit burned on backlighting after having a board with it -- it looks cool for a bit, but it feels a lot like a gimmick to me. I don't like computing in the dark anyway.
Not an uncommon philosophy. I prefer a dim room, but not dark personally. In my current setup my computer/desk is more or less right next to the lights, and there's nothing I can do about it. :'( I'm working on creating an LED based hanging ceiling light, but that's a ways off as I'll likely be moving soon making that unnecessary.

I'm "interested" but i would first like to see a picture/video of the completed product. And i would be willing to pay at most $250/260 for a kb like this. No hurry thou I'll wait too see you finished work so you have several months ahead of you.
Thanks for the interest! You shall have updates, pictures, and video as I move along. I feel that the PCB at this point qualifies as "done" since it's about 30 minutes of last second checks before being sent to a fab house. The programming is coming along very nicely. I've picked up two jobs, and luckily I get some free time while I work to do my programing using my old a$$ P3 era Celeron M laptop. :rolleyes: The CAD files for the casing are still in the works, but I don't feel like that will take that long to complete either. The next step is to purchase a good programmer to test my code IRL on my breadboards.

I'd appreciate any design input people may have. Keyboard cases they like, ideas they'd like to see, ect, ect.. so far I'm going with a VERY slim design (about the height of a Cherry MX switch without the stem from bottom of case to surface) for my keyboard with a black anodized brushed aluminum plate as the surface, black plastic with rubberized feet, and a design that's similar to the Saitek Eclipse original (only in general idea since that keyboard is terribly huge at the corners and edges).

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 21:52:39 »
Speaking of updates and images! I finished the first round of tester PCBs! Sizes were perfect.

You can buy them if you want too. Check out this link to see updates, you don't have to buy from me just to see the progress.  :p
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56882.0

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 22:13:01 »
What controller is this using?

Offline The Hammer

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 22:34:30 »
What controller is this using?
ARM based Atmel. I have a choice between 3 of them right now, and haven't decided yet. I'm hoping I'll run into a snag in the programming that forces me to choose one.

The SAM 3/7 seem promising.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 April 2014, 22:38:13 by The Hammer »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:24:23 »
I think that's a good choice.