Author Topic: Properly removing scissor keycaps  (Read 24387 times)

Offline exhuma.twn

Properly removing scissor keycaps
« on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 10:50:37 »
I like to clean my keyboard often and thoroughly. But I still haven't got the courage to remove the keycaps on my laptops. They resist quite a lot and I want to avoid breaking stuff. All of them seem to be scissor springs.

So how do you remove these properly? Can you just pull until they snap off? Or is there some other recommended technique?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 12:24:52 »
Depends. On my Thinkpad, I can just stick my thumbnail under the front side of the keycap, and pop it off. Some other scissor switches require much more delicate operations.

Offline elservo

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 12:58:43 »
My old Dell laptops had scissor keys that were really easy to remove, but I wouldn't try to remove any of the keys on my Macbook.  I prefer to just use compressed air under those keys as any dirt that might have gotten caught under them kicks right out.  Just apply gentle upward pressure to the key and if it feels like it's getting looser, keep applying that pressure, but if it feels like it's really fighting against the pressure, then just let it go and spray compressed air under the keys.  There are a lot of little clamps under that key that are more than a little fragile.  You'll end up having to buy a new keyboard on ebay if you're not careful.
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 13:39:47 »
don't they just pop on easily? popped them off and on both my dells no issue just now.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 13:41:45 »
Snapping them back on is easy.  
Removing them is basically asking for them to snap.  Each time you remove it, you're applying stress that if it doesn't break now, it could totally break later.  I suspect either you're gonna be so gentle that they aren't going to come off, or you're always risking snapping the bar the keycap grabs onto.

I foolishly watched some video where some guy was all this is how you do it, no worries, I never broke one.  
If you thought of the scissor switch bars as handle bars, I'd say a left to right or right to left pulling, etc. is more like trying to slide the handle bars out, rather than forward backwards which would be like trying to bend the handle bars of a bike forward or backward.
Just stick with error.  Thankfully, I wasn't the one paying for them to replace the keyboard in my laptop . . although that's an easier way to clean it:spy:
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 13:57:13 »
I would definately not recommend it as routine maintenance as ripster said.
But for switcing out keys here and there you should be ok if you take care.

I have removed and replaced a silly amount of key caps from scissor switches and unfortunately many companies make them different enough so that multiple techniques may need to be employed.

There are generally 2 clasps and 2 slots on opposing sides. You usually want to pop both clasps (look like little lego hands) off first and then slide out of the slots.

You usually dont want to pull anything diagonal or a corner at a time.

Note the amount of "usually" used in here, there are many variations. Some you even have to slide something under the key to hold the scissor down!

Replacing the keys is luckily easier usually you just slide the key onto or around the slot side first then snap it down on via the clasps.

Gentle but firm baby, that's how scissors like it!

If/when I make more scissor switch compatible keycaps I might make a "how to" article.

Again, I would not do this to a whole board just to routinely clean them.
BTW, if you were wondering, it's usually the clasps that are the weak point and not the slots or the scissors. Sometimes the scissors come apart but they can be put back together.

Hope that helps somewhat =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 14:33:48 »
Indeed, they are risky by nature.
No kidding on the ALPS ones, geez!
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 01:40:42 »
In my experience, removing them is easy (thin screwdriver) but putting them back on is a nightmare. I've recently broken one scissor mechanism hoping to brute-force it because I had insufficient IQ to design a way of making it all fall into place at the same time. If I had a laptop and wanted to clean the keyboard, I'd probably remove it and wash it (it's still rubber dome, so it likes water).

Offline exhuma.twn

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 02:08:48 »
Thanks for your thoughts on this. As I only would like to remove them for cleaning, I think it's not worth the risk. So I'll just go with the compressed air cans.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 08:13:25 »
Different keys/rows may open in different directions with scissor keys.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline exhuma.twn

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 10:37:17 »
Quote from: ripster;235458
I just ordered one of these (mainly for photo stuff).
Show Image

But I can't wait to see if it'll blow the keys off my laptop.

I was planning to buy something like that already a while ago. Couldn't find anything satisfactory though. All either way too powerful, or not powerful enough.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes with that one :)

Offline Ehe_Shaoge

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 12:17:37 »
I have one of those. It has incredible blowing power and is about as loud as a wet-dry vacuum cleaner. The motor tends to get hot pretty quickly, too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 October 2010, 12:24:18 by Ehe_Shaoge »

Offline kriminal

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 12:35:02 »
Quote from: ripster;235458
I just ordered one of these (mainly for photo stuff).
Show Image

But I can't wait to see if it'll blow the keys off my laptop.

hey if possible you will state how this works when you get it? was thinking about ordering one.

Ehe_Shaoge
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 13:40:53 »
Quote from: ripster;235537
My son and I walk around talking like this guy to drive my wife nuts.

I thought everyone loved the Plinkett voice.