Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1313129 times)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2400 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:55:16 »
I think it happens with any decent headphone, I haven't tried any good open headphones yet but even my dt770s freak me the f out sometimes with how real stuff sounds. I think dead space 1, at night, in a dark room with these headphones on would make me want to cry.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #2401 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 18:34:25 »
I ended up choosing the Beyer dt770's because they are considered decent sounding cans, with a very comfortable and sturdy design. These things just arrived today and I have to say, hot d*mn these things have a lot more bass then my old headphones (maybe even a little too much at times). They do live up to there expectations in comfort, and are very isolating. From the few songs I have played so far I am really enjoying the sound. Everything is so quiet when I pause the music...

Edit: I might also mod these things to have a detachable cable later. We will see. It will be nice to have replaceable straps, pads, and cables, then the only real point of failure is the driver itself. I hope these things will last me for a very long time (Unless I end up upgrading later).
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:19:47 by Smasher816 »

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #2402 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:28:53 »
I think it happens with any decent headphone, I haven't tried any good open headphones yet but even my dt770s freak me the f out sometimes with how real stuff sounds. I think dead space 1, at night, in a dark room with these headphones on would make me want to cry.
Lol I just installed and started up Dead Space again last night (first played but never finished on Xbox) and even with my Sennheiser HD280s it was freaking me out.... I'm real curious how the open AKG Q701s will sound as I've never had open headphones before and I read they have really great soundstage - but knowing Massdrop I'll be waiting a while to find out  :))
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2403 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 00:50:59 »
I ended up choosing the Beyer dt770's because they are considered decent sounding cans, with a very comfortable and sturdy design. These things just arrived today and I have to say, hot d*mn these things have a lot more bass then my old headphones (maybe even a little too much at times). They do live up to there expectations in comfort, and are very isolating. From the few songs I have played so far I am really enjoying the sound. Everything is so quiet when I pause the music...

Edit: I might also mod these things to have a detachable cable later. We will see. It will be nice to have replaceable straps, pads, and cables, then the only real point of failure is the driver itself. I hope these things will last me for a very long time (Unless I end up upgrading later).
Nice good to hear. :) Yeah that is my only complaint with my beyers, I may end up doing a detachable cable mod later too!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2404 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 01:01:35 »
The

Congrats! Yes, I wish the cable was detatchable but it is not a problem for me(I have two).
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2405 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 05:08:08 »

When I first got my Lyr and LCD 2's I thought it would be a good idea to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent with my headphones up, the lights off, and on a belly full of mushrooms.

I must admit, it was the greatest gaming experience of my entire life. I played for more than 9 straight hours, terrified, sweating bullets, absolutely gripped to the screen so intensely I cracked the casing of my mouse with the palm of my clammy hands. Certainly a big part of it was the shrooms, but having a pair of amazing headphones and a fantastic amp to make them sing elevated what was an already an incredibly intimate experience into pure gaming absolution. Wouldn't trade that night for all the cookies in the cookie aisle. :))

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #2406 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:25:13 »
Nice good to hear. :) Yeah that is my only complaint with my beyers, I may end up doing a detachable cable mod later too!

You just need a female 3.5mm jack, some wire and soldering skills, and some cajones to open up your expensive headphones. There are a few threads/websites that talk about the process.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2407 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 09:58:16 »

You just need a female 3.5mm jack, some wire and soldering skills, and some cajones to open up your expensive headphones. There are a few threads/websites that talk about the process.

Yeah I know how simple it is, but I don't want to ruin them! Haha

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2408 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 13:42:10 »

The biggest concern with the 770s is finding either a jack that covers the rectangle left by the stress relief piece or using something to seal that hole left behind when you move the jack to a different spot. 

I used a bit of black 2 part urethane that matched the shell color nicely, but you could theoretically use like black hot glue, too.

Or you could send it to someone that can mod them.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #2409 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 14:06:37 »
I might not have a lot of people join me on this but I am very happy with my Monster Inspiration (active noise cancelation). The sound is good, the bass is strong, and it helps a lot to focus during flights and in the office.

Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #2410 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:35:32 »
I have to say, my 770's have some seriously great isolation. The whole room gets much quieter when I put them on. I can barely here anything people say - especially if I have music playing.

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #2411 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 20:40:39 »
Anyone have any advice on headphone stands for AKG K702s? The headband design is a bit different than most.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2412 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 21:28:28 »

The biggest concern with the 770s is finding either a jack that covers the rectangle left by the stress relief piece or using something to seal that hole left behind when you move the jack to a different spot. 

I used a bit of black 2 part urethane that matched the shell color nicely, but you could theoretically use like black hot glue, too.

I have the 990s, would that information still be useful? I assume they are very similar in design.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2413 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 20:12:52 »

I have the 990s, would that information still be useful? I assume they are very similar in design.

The 990s have a similar technique needed, yes. 

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #2414 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:32:10 »
fyi, I just saw that the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm headphones are on Massdrop for $199.99, down to $169.99 if 30 are purchased.  For some reason it is a short duration drop and has only one day left.

I've been needing a closed pair of headphones for work, and from reading comments here and elsewhere, these look like a good set in terms of comfort and sound.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/beyerdynamic-dt770?mode=guest_open

edit:  fixed link

« Last Edit: Mon, 30 June 2014, 02:19:26 by naasfu »
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2415 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 17:11:33 »
fyi, I just saw that the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm headphones are on Massdrop for $199.99, down to $169.99 if 30 are purchased.  For some reason it is a short duration drop and has only one day left.

I've been needing a closed pair of headphones for work, and from reading comments here and elsewhere, these look like a good set in terms of comfort and sound.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/beyerdynamic-dt770

Go on! Just buy them. They are really good.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #2416 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 21:50:45 »

Thanks man for confirming!  I joined up, but there are still not enough people.  Too bad no one apparently knew about this short drop until a day before it ends.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2417 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 00:13:31 »

Thanks man for confirming!  I joined up, but there are still not enough people.  Too bad no one apparently knew about this short drop until a day before it ends.

Yeah I only saw them now. I am really tempted as I love my 990s, and would love a pair to use on the bus, library, work, school.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #2418 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 02:18:26 »

Yeah I only saw them now. I am really tempted as I love my 990s, and would love a pair to use on the bus, library, work, school.

I don't know if Massdrop does extensions, but I just emailed support asking for one since this drop was not publicized via their email announcements besides the "one day left" announcement.

Also, here's a link for the drop that doesn't require login to view:

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2419 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 02:26:15 »

I don't know if Massdrop does extensions, but I just emailed support asking for one since this drop was not publicized via their email announcements besides the "one day left" announcement.

Also, here's a link for the drop that doesn't require login to view:

Haha, I am the guy you replied too :)

Offline combataran

« Reply #2420 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:16:10 »
Someone near my is selling a pair of Alessandro MS2s bundled with an Ordnance .25 DAC/Amp for $215, case, cables and everything. Didn't say how old the unit was though, but I'm assuming a year as the worst case scenario. Should I pull the trigger, or is there something else out there that's more bang for my buck at that price point?

I've been thinking of getting an sr80i or 125i lately, but with local markups those just aren't viable.

Edit: Missed the date, it's from 2012.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:36:14 by combataran »
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline Kiwi_321

« Reply #2421 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 21:04:28 »
I must say, I picked up a pair of Bose Quietcomfort 20i's. They are very impressive noise cancelling *ear*phones. Very effective - and pretty comfortable!

I need to stop wearing them around the house though. My flatmates keep scaring the **** out of me

Offline olivil

« Reply #2422 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 08:57:06 »
I bought a Schiit Audio Magni & Modi stack and a pair of HiFiMan HE-400. I already received the Schiit stuff but I'm still waiting on my headphones.

For the moment I'm using the DAC/Amp with my pair of Sennheiser HD280-PRO, it's (not surprisingly) better than on-board audio (Realtek ALC1150).

Will post when I receive my HE-400.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #2423 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 17:25:34 »
Are the Aune T1 MK2 Headphone amps any good?? It's currently up on Massdrop and I'm considering it as a possible option?
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2424 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 00:40:47 »
Are the Aune T1 MK2 Headphone amps any good?? It's currently up on Massdrop and I'm considering it as a possible option?

I have the MK1 and it does the job for me.. I have a pair of dt990 pros (250ohms), that it drives pretty nicely.. Be aware it isn't a true Tube Dac though, as it doesn't use enough power. What are you using as headphones?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2425 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 14:17:35 »
I am using the schiit stack... modi optical dac + magni amp

Offline olivil

« Reply #2426 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 17:16:56 »
I can honestly only recommend the Magni+Modi stack, for the price the build and sound quality is amazing.  :) My biggest complaint is the lack of variable gain on the Magni, but on a 99$ headphone amp I get why.

Offline Laiin

« Reply #2427 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 01:08:42 »

Currently i only use the brainwavz since my AKG's desperately need an amp.
Plugged into onboard sound card since im broke  :'(

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2428 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 03:54:39 »
I can honestly only recommend the Magni+Modi stack, for the price the build and sound quality is amazing.  :) My biggest complaint is the lveack of variable gain on the Magni, but on a 99$ headphone amp I get why.

The Asgard 2 has a variable gain switch but that's 2.5 times more expensive. We can hope for a magni v2 with gain switch but I do not think it will happen.

The LAN table!

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #2429 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:09:50 »
I have a pair of Koss PortaPro in the post! They should arrive tomorrow! :D
I have quite a lot of hair on my head so I'm a little bit worried about getting my hair caught in the headband but other wise I think I'll be fine - Plus I could just get a shorter haircut for £7.

Pic related - it's my hair and myself.70985-0
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline Coff_man

• hi.
« Reply #2430 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:12:52 »
I have a set of ATH m50s that I use when I am on just on the PC.
I also have the Kingston HyperX headset that I use to game and to take to people.
I have a used Soundblaster Z because I needed something because onboard died.
-QFR w/ mx Blues
-Ducky 9008 G2 w/ mx Red (dyesub ptb/thin?)
-Choc mini w/ mx Black

Offline nukec

• that rug really tied the room together
« Reply #2431 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 12:41:06 »
I am using Razer Hammer Head for office, at home I just use speakers from Asus PB278Q.
HHKB Pro2, Poker2 Blue, KBPV60 Brown, DuckyShine3 Brown

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #2432 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 16:54:32 »
My Koss Porta Pro have arrived! :D
They sound really nice - much better than I expected. My ones go as low as 19Hz and with the highnotes I can't really test them because my hearing is damaged from playing the Tuba.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2433 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 01:21:56 »
IMG_1906.jpg by tjcaustin, on Flickr

Modded to balanced connection, metal pieces powder coated, earpads replaced.  Sounds good, might be my second ranked set currently.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2434 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 01:22:18 »
Show Image

Modded to balanced connection, metal pieces powder coated, earpads replaced.  Sounds good, might be my second ranked set currently.
fuuuuuuck
I love Elzy

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2435 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 01:49:46 »
Show Image

Sweet!

The LAN table!

Offline godly_music

« Reply #2436 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 10:20:35 »
With the Beyer DTs, earpads have a massive impact on how they sound. I tried the faux leather ones on a DT880 Pro and they muffled the sound to ****. If you take the pads off and look on the inside, the velour ones will have holes cut into the fabric (letting treble through) while the black ones appear to be solid.

Just a warning for anyone looking to experiment - don't crossbreed Beyer pads and headphones.

Also, Koss Porta Pro's are pretty great sounding. Just handle them with care. Mine came apart often and developed a loose connection after a year and a half. Lifetime warranty doesn't apply if you buy them off Amazon in Europe, unfortunately.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #2437 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 04:44:18 »
My old Sennheisers are giving up. Unfortunately, they only sell replacement pads for a select few model and not mine. I am looking for a new pair. I will also be getting rid of my 02+ODAC as the constant driver issues audio stack malfunctions in windows are driving me insane. I will probably be going back to my Essence STX card for now.

Features I'd like in a pair of headphones:

-Replaceable standard cable, ie a cable which can be detached at the headphone end with a non-proprietary plug. (This is nifty as it allows me to use the same headphones for voip when I need them to, by easily attaching a mic. There are many examples of people attaching mics to their headphones. I just attach my mic to a very small 3.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and put it that adapter where the cable meets the headphone.)

-Replaceable pads, makes them last so much longer.

-Circumaural, personal preference.

Any recommendations? I am looking for something in the $100-150 range.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2438 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:54:25 »
Beyerdynamic custom one pro(my experience):

Very comfortable
Replaceable cable(3,5 mm jack)
Replaceable pads
mic as optional accessory.
Easy to power at 16 ohm
Solid build quality

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/custom/

The LAN table!

Offline Acknown3

• Not a keyboard addict
« Reply #2439 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:01:06 »
Got an Asgard 2 and Modi while I wait for the HE-400i to release.

Previously had the HD600 and HE-400 but I sold them in anticipation, and for various other reasons. HE-400 was too uncomfortable despite how much I loved the sound, and the HD600 had a really small soundstage compared to the HE-400.

Currently using some DIY cabled Yuin PK2 and PK3 earbuds.
FC660C gray dyesub, gummyrot clack
FC660M cherry reds, Triumph Adler, blue aluminum case
Filco TKL cherry reds, white side-printed PBT
IBM Model F XT

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2440 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:02:22 »
Beyerdynamic custom one pro(my experience):

Very comfortable
Replaceable cable(3,5 mm jack)
Replaceable pads
mic as optional accessory.
Easy to power at 16 ohm
Solid build quality

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/custom/

One thing to note is that while the pads are replaceable, they are quite pricey, at least the velour ones. But yeah, I've got a pair of COPs and they are quite nice, I'm very happy with them considering that I got them at 40% off.

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #2441 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:06:04 »

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2442 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 05:41:10 »
Is fiio E10K good? http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2

I have tested previous fiio products and they where okay. Since it is not a very powerful amplifier (well its battery driven and 200mW at 32 ohm) it okay to be aware of how many ohms your headphones are. I have not tested this sepific model so thats up to someone else to tell about their experiences with this products. Guess you do not have a local store where you can test this product?

The LAN table!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2444 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 23:45:27 »
Just bought a beyerdynamic T1! Amazing headphones!

Will take some pictures when I get home.

The LAN table!

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #2445 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 15:38:58 »
My Ghetto Headset
Ingredients:
Koss PortaPro
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005I497OI

Novatech 3.5mm Microphone
http://goo.gl/UeNe4C

1 Ziptie
I just had a few lying around, but I'll still give a link
http://goo.gl/3JyFTC

It's cheap, sounds alright and works very well.
If I had more money - I'd have gone for a ATH M50x + ModMic 4.0 but this works surprisingly well

Offline TheMark

« Reply #2446 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 19:49:48 »
I can't look at this thread. I came to this forum to detox from my head-if.org addiction.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2447 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 01:07:11 »
My old Sennheisers are giving up. Unfortunately, they only sell replacement pads for a select few model and not mine. I am looking for a new pair. I will also be getting rid of my 02+ODAC as the constant driver issues audio stack malfunctions in windows are driving me insane. I will probably be going back to my Essence STX card for now.

Features I'd like in a pair of headphones:

-Replaceable standard cable, ie a cable which can be detached at the headphone end with a non-proprietary plug. (This is nifty as it allows me to use the same headphones for voip when I need them to, by easily attaching a mic. There are many examples of people attaching mics to their headphones. I just attach my mic to a very small 3.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and put it that adapter where the cable meets the headphone.)

-Replaceable pads, makes them last so much longer.

-Circumaural, personal preference.

Any recommendations? I am looking for something in the $100-150 range.

Spend a little more and get some used HD600s.  Mine actually went up in value by $80 since I got them.

Offline feizor

« Reply #2448 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 07:24:38 »
Just bought a beyerdynamic T1! Amazing headphones!
Show Image

Will take some pictures when I get home.

Dude for the price they better be amazing! haha

I just received my Q701 from Massdrop. Sounds pretty good out of the box with my Aune T1. I must have an unusual head shape because I'm not bothered at all by the headband bumps.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #2449 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 09:51:11 »
I'm thrifty and don't have audiophile discriminating hearing.  I bought some decently nice headphones from the local Big Lots for $10 which I use with my Sony Bluetooth SBH-52.  As I listen to only mp3's, radio podcasts, streaming radio, or FM radio on my Lumia smart phone, an expensive super high quality headphone wouldn't be worth it with the relatively low quality audio source.

One day, if I have enough initiative to setup a high quality home audio system with vacuum tube amps and listen to some high quality CD recordings, I may splurge on some headphones that are better quality.  I won't get Beats!

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||