Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1314253 times)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2450 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 19:04:28 »
Got these cheap yesterday:

IMG_1924.jpg by tjcaustin, on Flickr

Parts are already ordered to repair, going to get the leather headband replaced with something topgrain, alpha pads and probably some nice black/white ebony wood cups, too.  Got some grados that I'm planning similar mods to, save ps earpads vs alphas.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2451 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 15:10:31 »
After a lot of waiting, I picked up a secondhand Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

They're very analytical (which I adore) and more revealing of source than the ATH-M50 or SR60i. They're also more comfortable that I'd expected.
I'm looking forward to swapping out the steel cable for a copper one to see if that will help tighten up the lower end.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2452 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:12:18 »

They're very analytical (which I adore) and more revealing of source than the ATH-M50 or SR60i. They're also more comfortable that I'd expected.
I'm looking forward to swapping out the steel cable for a copper one to see if that will help tighten up the lower end.

the fact that they use steel cables is horrific.  Probably copper plated
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2453 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:25:00 »

I'm pretty sure Sennheiser did this on other mid and upper-tier products of theirs, not cool at all. At least aftermarket cables are readily available and easy to install.

Another thing that surprised me was that the HD25s still have microphonics issues. They 'solved' this in the HD26, but I honestly didn't think this product line's design could get even less elegant..

73608-0
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #2454 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:25:24 »

Show Image

Parts are already ordered to repair, going to get the leather headband replaced with something topgrain, alpha pads and probably some nice black/white ebony wood cups, too.  Got some grados that I'm planning similar mods to, save ps earpads vs alphas.

Looks like a very involved project tjcaustin, should be fun. Are you going to keep a log of your progress by chance?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2455 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:38:26 »

Show Image

Looks like a very involved project tjcaustin, should be fun. Are you going to keep a log of your progress by chance?

Yeah, I'll post pics as things come in.  Right now, I'm using the trashed stuff with the denons and just have a couple zip ties securing it while I wait for parts of all sorts.

I scored a pair of alpha pads for stupid cheap yesterday, so just need to have the dude at martin custom get back in touch about cup pricing before I get bored and buy lawton instead.

I wrapped my grado headband in leather with a felt padding, but I'm really not happy with how it looks.  I'll probably post a pic at some point of how it looks right now though.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #2456 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:41:03 »
I have not tried a ton of headphones, and I have not tried the very expensive ones (things get even more expensive than keyboards), but I have tried a decent amount over the years.

When it comes to bang for buck, and affordable performance my choices are:
-AKG K550 for a closed headphone. Manages to have a good soundstage and has a very "open headphone sound", not quite as boxed in, if that makes any sense. Like them better than some much more expensive closed headphones that I tried.
More

-Audiotechnica ad700 for an open headphone. This headphone lack a bit of oomph (sorry for the lack of technical terms) but gives a very nice representation of depth and location of sound.
More

If you have a small budget, I found the Sennheiser HD 518 pretty great value for money.

One headphone that I do not use anymore, but that has literally lasted me over a DECADE is the Sony MDR-V6. You can still buy it, and I think they did not even change the design. If good sound but most of all durability is what you are after, then I can vouch for these. The only thing you might want to replace after 5 years or so are the earcups (they are sold separately).
More

Though there are quite a few brands that I have been hearing great things about, that I have not had the opportunity to try.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:43:41 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2457 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:50:01 »
The k550 is probably a top 5 headphone for me.  Classic look, good comfort, great sound.  Punches way above the price tag.  I wish I had kept them instead of getting the k545 (to be fair, the 545 sound a bit better to my ear), but the d2000 that I have are a great sidegrade to the 550s. 

I haven't personally used the mdr-v6, but they're pretty great as well.  I know a lot of studios use those in different parts of the recording process.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2458 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 17:14:34 »

I'm pretty sure Sennheiser did this on other mid and upper-tier products of theirs, not cool at all. At least aftermarket cables are readily available and easy to install.

Another thing that surprised me was that the HD25s still have microphonics issues. They 'solved' this in the HD26, but I honestly didn't think this product line's design could get even less elegant..
Never noticed that, and I go running with mine... although I have the 600- Ohm version, recabled as well.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #2459 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 18:30:55 »
https://soundcloud.com/greg-tubby/ghetto-headset-microphone-test
This is the sound quality of the Mic on the  DIY Headset that I built.
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2460 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 18:45:24 »
I love my ad700's for csgo :)

Offline cbot

« Reply #2461 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 00:52:50 »
I love my ad700's for csgo :)

How big are your ears and how comfortable are they?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2462 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 11:50:04 »
my ears are not huge and it fits pretty well. I did need to bend the top to make it fit as I do not have a huge head.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2463 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:00:27 »
Hey Guys!
I'm sorry if this topic has already been discussed in this thread, but I was recently given a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm headphones by a relative of mine as a birthday gift, unfortunately I don't have any amp at the moment to properly run these beasts.  Would you guys have any recommendations for a good, but not too expensive amp I should look into? These are my first pair of high end headphones and I'm really excited to use them to their full potential!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2464 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:02:06 »
Hey Guys!
I'm sorry if this topic has already been discussed in this thread, but I was recently given a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm headphones by a relative of mine as a birthday gift, unfortunately I don't have any amp at the moment to properly run these beasts.  Would you guys have any recommendations for a good, but not too expensive amp I should look into? These are my first pair of high end headphones and I'm really excited to use them to their full potential!

http://schiit.com/products/magni, aune T1, new monoprice amp.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2465 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:05:17 »
Hey Guys!

Thanks!!  :cool:
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2466 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:08:30 »
Hey Guys!

Thanks!!  :cool:

No worries. I have an Aune T1, and it works well with my DT990 Pros. The Aune and monoprice are both a DAC and AMP combined. The monoprice one is quite new, but I have heard good things about it. The schiit  seems to be popular choice, kinda like poker 2 of the audiophile world.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2467 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 16:01:13 »
I love my schiit stack. modi optical + magni.

edit. for others wondering j play a lot of csgo with a soundblaster z toslink output to modi to magni to ad700's. perfect positional queues. I can hear through most of the maps :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 August 2014, 16:03:42 by domoaligato »

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2468 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 16:04:05 »
With beyer anything I would prefer a Schiit Vali for a cheap really good option.

I've had the Hifiman HE-560 for the last week or so and they are really quite astounding. Airy like a good dynamic yet wonderfully layered and textured bass.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2469 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 00:46:13 »
With beyer anything I would prefer a Schiit Vali for a cheap really good option.

I've had the Hifiman HE-560 for the last week or so and they are really quite astounding. Airy like a good dynamic yet wonderfully layered and textured bass.

+1 here. Schiit makes some really good headphone amplifiers. Currently running my beyerdynamic T1's on my asgard 2. It sounds amazing. so if youre also after a dac, I would recommend modi + vali.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline tribade

« Reply #2470 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 15:15:13 »

Have you had a chance to listen to the HE-500s?  If so, do you think the 560 are worth the extra ~$300?
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline RED-404

« Reply #2471 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 16:42:31 »
This is my everyday setup. Shure SRH840, O2/ODAC, Antlion ModMic v4 and a Blue Yeti.
WOW I need to clean these things.  :eek:

Continues futile attempt at saving $$$ for a pair of HiFiMan - HE-400 headphones, spends it all on keyboard stuff...
I also have a set of Alessandro MS1i headphones by my bed.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2472 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 16:57:27 »
Holy ****. Your avatar is actually you!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2473 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 17:12:33 »
Just sold the dt880s, now I have money to buy either wood cups for my grados (to sell said grados) and d2ks or to buy a pair of he400i when they release this week.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2474 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 17:41:18 »

Have you had a chance to listen to the HE-500s?  If so, do you think the 560 are worth the extra ~$300?
I have not owned them but listened to them quite extensively and for me they are worth it over the 500 for sure. The bass one the HE-500 is a lot more one-notish and treble wasnt as detailed and extended. The comfort is the main factor for me as I have a small head and find most planars pretty uncomfortable. I sold my LCD-2 because I could not wear them for longer periods of time and the HE-500 was in the same ballpark. The HE-560 is in another league in comfort.
Technically I find the HE-560 a step or two above the 500 but it is also a matter of sound signature. Some might prefer the 500 for its warmer sound.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline RED-404

« Reply #2475 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 17:50:32 »
Holy ****. Your avatar is actually you!
I think I have heard this someplace before.
Holy ****, you actually look like your avatar.

Offline tribade

« Reply #2476 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 19:18:24 »

I have not owned them but listened to them quite extensively and for me they are worth it over the 500 for sure. The bass one the HE-500 is a lot more one-notish and treble wasnt as detailed and extended. The comfort is the main factor for me as I have a small head and find most planars pretty uncomfortable. I sold my LCD-2 because I could not wear them for longer periods of time and the HE-500 was in the same ballpark. The HE-560 is in another league in comfort.
Technically I find the HE-560 a step or two above the 500 but it is also a matter of sound signature. Some might prefer the 500 for its warmer sound.

Thanks for your impressions! I'm looking into getting a pair and I'm polling people for short reviews haha. I'm pretty happy with my grados for now so I'll look for a used pair or wait for them to come down in price a little bit.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2477 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 13:30:37 »
Hey guys,

I need new headphones (mainly for gaming).

Would you recommend this offer or can I get something better for that money?

akg-q701
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 August 2014, 13:45:05 by LechnerDE »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2478 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 14:55:15 »
Hey guys,

I need new headphones (mainly for gaming).

Would you recommend this offer or can I get something better for that money?

akg-q701

Considering you're in Europe I'm gonna guess those are three times more expensive for you if you want to buy them in Germany, so if you want the Q701s that's a fantastic deal. I got in on the last drop for them and I am loving them. Amazing headphones and great value at that price. Just be aware that the headband can get uncomfortable, so you might want to mod that in some way.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #2479 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 00:05:19 »
Well currently I own the JH Roxanne Universal fit
(http://www.moon-audio.com/jh-audio-sirens-series-roxanne-universal-iem.html)
which I use for portable reasons.
To go with that I have an AK120 on the way (recently sold my Fiio X5)
(http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-Mastering-Quality-Portable/dp/B00D648BDA)

At home I have a pair of Audio Technica W3000anv that I cherish as a beautiful piece that sounds absolutely magical on some parts but unfortunately to make funds for a Noble Kaiser 10 I've put these up for sale =(
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/3c552629c6cf881d/index.html

Previously owned headphones:
Philips Citiscape Downtown
Alpha Dogs
NAD Viso HP50
Fostex TH900
Chord And Major Rock
Stax SR407
Sennheiser HD700
Final Audio FI-BA-SS
Audio Technica ESW11LTD
Stax SR007mk2
Hifiman HE6
Sennheiser HD800
Shure SE535
Audeze LCD2r1
Beyerdynamic T5p
Shure SE425
AKG Q701
Sony XB500
Bowers and Wilkins P5
Grado SR325i
Sennheiser Momentum

And if I haven't owned it I probably demoed it at some point!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2480 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 02:07:49 »
Well currently I own the JH Roxanne Universal fit
(http://www.moon-audio.com/jh-audio-sirens-series-roxanne-universal-iem.html)
which I use for portable reasons.
To go with that I have an AK120 on the way (recently sold my Fiio X5)
(http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-Mastering-Quality-Portable/dp/B00D648BDA)

At home I have a pair of Audio Technica W3000anv that I cherish as a beautiful piece that sounds absolutely magical on some parts but unfortunately to make funds for a Noble Kaiser 10 I've put these up for sale =(
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/3c552629c6cf881d/index.html

Previously owned headphones:
Philips Citiscape Downtown
Alpha Dogs
NAD Viso HP50
Fostex TH900
Chord And Major Rock
Stax SR407
Sennheiser HD700
Final Audio FI-BA-SS
Audio Technica ESW11LTD
Stax SR007mk2
Hifiman HE6
Sennheiser HD800
Shure SE535
Audeze LCD2r1
Beyerdynamic T5p
Shure SE425
AKG Q701
Sony XB500
Bowers and Wilkins P5
Grado SR325i
Sennheiser Momentum

And if I haven't owned it I probably demoed it at some point!

And I thought my list of owned headphones was impressive.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2481 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 02:13:43 »
How do you like the se425s? I am considering them as my next headphone purchase. Needed some nice IEMs for years now.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2482 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 06:23:16 »
How do you like the se425s? I am considering them as my next headphone purchase. Needed some nice IEMs for years now.

I thought the 535 was such a huge step up that it was worth it.
The 425 reminded me very much of the shure srh940 and I don't like that one at all. The 940 has almost no bass and is very much treble based. Not natural at all (which is something I aim for)
The 425 was not as bad but still similar in signature I'd say.
They were also extremely sibilant which is something I tend  to be sensitive to.
The 535 was a huge step up and a used pair can be found for just under $300 in great condition. You could always wipe the outer shell down with peroxide to kill of bacteria if that's something you're worried about.
The 535 had it's deficiencies but for $300 I think it's a good buy. The shure 846 is a very nice step up too and definitely deserving of flagship status. Unfortunately for people with small ears such as myself it just won't fit comfortably (I'm barely getting the Roxannes in)
Another note, I hated the fibass as well. Reminded me quite a bit of the 425. Tinny, bright

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2483 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 23:48:35 »
any one looking for some mad dogs?

willing to trade for some DT 770s 250ohms
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2484 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 16:47:38 »
My Q701s, I was worried they'd look too dull in black but they look quite nice

And my new headphone stand

I don't know if I dare put my Q701s or Beyer COPs on it because tension, so if anyone can give me some advice on that I'd appreciate it.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2485 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 23:52:24 »
My Q701s, I was worried they'd look too dull in black but they look quite nice

Show Image

And my new headphone stand

Show Image

I don't know if I dare put my Q701s or Beyer COPs on it because tension, so if anyone can give me some advice on that I'd appreciate it.

That stand looks great but like you said I'd rather not have it stretch out

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2486 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 11:37:46 »
I've owned a pair of Sony MDR-7506s for about 12 years and ignored most of the recent upsurge in headphone technology figuring that it was mostly hype. Then a friend of mine got a DAC off of Massdrop and I gave it a listen this weekend and was suitably impressed. So, I just bought a Schitt Magni/Modi stack and waiting for it to arrive.   :))

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile by a long shot, but I do listen to a lot of music at the office so I figured it'd be a nice step up from the default audio out from my Macbook Air.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2487 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 11:41:24 »
I've owned a pair of Sony MDR-7506s for about 12 years and ignored most of the recent upsurge in headphone technology figuring that it was mostly hype. Then a friend of mine got a DAC off of Massdrop and I gave it a listen this weekend and was suitably impressed. So, I just bought a Schitt Magni/Modi stack and waiting for it to arrive.   :))

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile by a long shot, but I do listen to a lot of music at the office so I figured it'd be a nice step up from the default audio out from my Macbook Air.

Upgrade those headphones along with them!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2488 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 13:18:09 »

One of us, one of us.  Also, those V6s are still in production and fairly well regarded, too.  So high five on that.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2489 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 14:25:59 »
One of us, one of us.  Also, those V6s are still in production and fairly well regarded, too.  So high five on that.

Thanks Klaxbro! I figure I'll upgrade at some point in the future, but they've been good cans for me.

However, when you come up to Nashville, feel free to school me on ways that I could improve my setup.  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2490 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 14:29:14 »
However, when you come up to Nashville, feel free to school me on ways that I could improve my setup.  :thumb:

Trust me, you'll upgrade after you check out the stuff we bring out :P

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2491 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 14:30:09 »

Thanks Klaxbro! I figure I'll upgrade at some point in the future, but they've been good cans for me.

I may only have one pair of headphones you can try at that point, weirdly enough (I'll still own 2 pair, but you can't wear my customs).  But yeah, I expect that to be a conversation while I swap my novatouch stems around.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2492 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 21:35:12 »
these are pretty magical :d

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2493 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 21:37:01 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

ultra jelly  :p.  The packaging is pretty snazzy too.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2494 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 21:51:11 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Very nice!  :)

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2495 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 22:14:35 »
HiFiMan is on a roll.  I hope other companies start to notice and compete at this level.  :thumb:

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2496 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 22:46:01 »
Dang Binge, nice HE560s ;P

I'll just leave these here:

As for Hifiman... I've never actually been wowed by a set of planars regardless of the amps I've tried with them. The best ones I've heard were definitely the Abyss (those $5000 hunks of metal) but were incredibly uncomfortable and heavy.

I found electrostatics had a very unique feel to them when listening through a proper setup (though when I say that I mean setups that usually run $5000).

Since then I've been bouncing around dynamics
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 September 2014, 22:48:59 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2497 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 23:11:25 »
I should take a pic of my current stuff...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2498 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 23:21:16 »
I should take a pic of my current stuff...

do it
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #2499 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 23:47:47 »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)