Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1313477 times)

Offline sobe

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2600 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 20:05:58 »
Hi guys, hopefully someone can give me some help as you lot seem to be massively into your audio setups!

I have some Sennheiser HD555's and PC350SE's that I use (mainly the PC350SE's as I am generally gaming a lot). Would an amp/DAC be something I should think about buying to get the most out of these cans or is it not really going to make a vast difference?

I would like to enhance my audio experience but if a dac/amp isn't going to really do much, then I guess new higher end cans is where I should be looking to invest?

Cheers in advance :)

Both will see a boost yes, but your HD555's will see a very very minimal.... Whereas your PC350's use the HD595 drivers and will offer a better experience when amped. If you are interested in going with higher end anyway, what you can do is go ahead and purchase a good amp/dac and if you want MORE than just what your PC350 can provide, simply buy a better set of cans to pair with the amp you bought ;)

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #2601 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 08:17:59 »
I think I broke my headphone plug :( At least I hope that's what broke.
I have a pair of Qpad QH-85s and yesterday I accidentally yanked my headphone cable out and after that the sound has been really weird.
The mids and lows are mostly fine but the bass is completely gone.

I don't want to buy new ones so I think I'll try to fix the cord/jack (if that's whats causing it).
If it's not the plug then do you guys know what it could be? I opened up the headphones but everything seemed to be fine inside.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2602 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 08:53:06 »
I think I broke my headphone plug :( At least I hope that's what broke.
I have a pair of Qpad QH-85s and yesterday I accidentally yanked my headphone cable out and after that the sound has been really weird.
The mids and lows are mostly fine but the bass is completely gone.

I don't want to buy new ones so I think I'll try to fix the cord/jack (if that's whats causing it).
If it's not the plug then do you guys know what it could be? I opened up the headphones but everything seemed to be fine inside.

I think the problem is either the cord  or the connector. Does it change when you move the cable?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2603 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:38:43 »
Just ordered some replacement velour pads for my dt770s. The $30 was kinda tough to do but when you consider I have around 1000-1500 hours use on these in just a year the replacements were long overdue. I went with a set of black velour instead of the silver.

I LOVE the look of the silver velour but mine have just gotten so dull looking and they are now more of a brown/bronze color than silver now. They are also really flat and deformed as well, they don't seal to my head very well anymore.

I don't think I could ever replace these headphones, they sound great for what I like and you could probably wear them for days straight and not even notice they are there.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #2604 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:55:59 »
I just bought a pair of Blaupunkt BPA-402NCs. Loving the noise cancelling, but what I loved most was that I got them at 2/3rds the retail price (gotta love Microcenter's price matching). They also come with detachable cables (3.5mm jacks) and it has two. One regular, and one with an inline mic.

I had a pair of Creative Aurvana Live! headphones (which I adored, as they were perfect and perfectly affordable for my favorite types of music), but they broke. :(
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2605 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:58:37 »
Just ordered some replacement velour pads for my dt770s. The $30 was kinda tough to do but when you consider I have around 1000-1500 hours use on these in just a year the replacements were long overdue. I went with a set of black velour instead of the silver.

I LOVE the look of the silver velour but mine have just gotten so dull looking and they are now more of a brown/bronze color than silver now. They are also really flat and deformed as well, they don't seal to my head very well anymore.

I don't think I could ever replace these headphones, they sound great for what I like and you could probably wear them for days straight and not even notice they are there.

Nice, where did you order them from? Now that I think about it, I should look into getting some new velour pads for my 990s.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2606 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:14:49 »

Nice, where did you order them from? Now that I think about it, I should look into getting some new velour pads for my 990s.
I got em off amazon, I will take some pictures of them when they show up wednesday. (As well as the super old ones lel, they are super disgusting)

I will also give the headphones a thorough cleaning as they are kinda disgusting as well.

I think they were $5 off compared to the silver ones so that was just a bonus.

I might try to fix up the old pads but I heard you just cannot wash/clean velour.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2607 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 14:48:17 »

I got em off amazon, I will take some pictures of them when they show up wednesday. (As well as the super old ones lel, they are super disgusting)

I will also give the headphones a thorough cleaning as they are kinda disgusting as well.

I think they were $5 off compared to the silver ones so that was just a bonus.

I might try to fix up the old pads but I heard you just cannot wash/clean velour.

Sounds good, I don't think I have seen the black velour ones before!

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #2608 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 20:42:32 »
I've kinda been out of the headphone loop for a bit, what's all the rage these days?  Last time I paid attention it seemed the HP100s were the in-thing and there were some 3D-printed headphones from MrSpeakers that people were excited about.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2609 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 21:16:49 »
People are still excited about Alpha Dogs and he just released a new version that costs $1000.  Also, there's the he400i and he560 from hifiman, the oppo pm1/2/3 and ha-1/2, the sony mdr-z7 and I'm sure other things I'm forgetting.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2610 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 22:14:26 »
Pretty much enamoured with my HE-560s still.  :cool:
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #2611 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 22:19:13 »
You know, I'm actually rather glad I never committed to the audiophile thing and topped out at buying stuff like the Mad Dogs (have one of the earlier alpha pad versions).  I'd be in a world of hurt if I actually dove into the $500-1000+ stuff given how prone I am to wanting to try stuff out and how reluctant I am to sell. 

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #2612 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 01:00:34 »
You know, I'm actually rather glad I never committed to the audiophile thing and topped out at buying stuff like the Mad Dogs (have one of the earlier alpha pad versions).  I'd be in a world of hurt if I actually dove into the $500-1000+ stuff given how prone I am to wanting to try stuff out and how reluctant I am to sell.

Ah, luckily I have no problem selling xD

I go through $1000 headphones like candy

I owned the Alpha Dogs less than a month.

HE6 for less than 2 weeks.

Etc

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #2613 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:43:02 »
Pretty much enamoured with my HE-560s still.  :cool:
I looked up the price on Amazon  :eek: :eek: I bet they sound amazing!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2614 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:46:58 »
Just got my impressions done =0

Gotta send them to Noble =]

Wondering if the wizard design is worthwhile =S

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2615 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:06:57 »

I think binge thinks so.  Their CS is better than any of the others I've dealt with, though.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2616 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:20:49 »

I think binge thinks so.  Their CS is better than any of the others I've dealt with, though.

I actually talked to him about that last night =S

He told me that he ended up not caring so much about the artwork done because he completely forgets about them after he puts them in his ears =S (Or something of that nature)

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2617 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:03:43 »

He told me that he ended up not caring so much about the artwork done because he completely forgets about them after he puts them in his ears =S (Or something of that nature)

Tis true!

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2618 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:15:42 »

Tis true!

That was the main thing that I was worried about mostly because it's a completely lost investment along with the remolding costs and impressions and shipping. There's no way to ever get that money back because the next owner would have to buy the artwork again. (And someone can just pay for the reprint flatout)

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2619 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:18:04 »

Tis true!

That was the main thing that I was worried about mostly because it's a completely lost investment along with the remolding costs and impressions and shipping. There's no way to ever get that money back because the next owner would have to buy the artwork again. (And someone can just pay for the reprint flatout)

You wouldn't be wrong man.  I intend to keep these for life.  They will not go 2nd hand.  I still miss the money it cost for the design.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2620 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:33:14 »

Tis true!

You wouldn't be wrong man.  I intend to keep these for life.  They will not go 2nd hand.  I still miss the money it cost for the design.

Yea... $400 is a GoN keyboard which is quite a bit in this hobby xD

OR a few nice fountain pens....

Or even an upgrade from my AK120 to the AK120mk2

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2621 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:33:48 »
Yea... $400 is a GoN keyboard which is quite a bit in this hobby xD

OR a few nice fountain pens....

Or even an upgrade from my AK120 to the AK120mk2

Half a mortgage payment etc etc

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #2622 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 01:23:44 »
I just bought a pair of Blaupunkt BPA-402NCs. Loving the noise cancelling, but what I loved most was that I got them at 2/3rds the retail price (gotta love Microcenter's price matching). They also come with detachable cables (3.5mm jacks) and it has two. One regular, and one with an inline mic.

I had a pair of Creative Aurvana Live! headphones (which I adored, as they were perfect and perfectly affordable for my favorite types of music), but they broke. :(

Update: After listening to music on these headphones for a day, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that these things suck donkey balls. My $15 ear buds are better quality. The lows and mids drown out the highs to the point where it isn't even audible.

0/10 Would NOT recommend.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2623 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:41:07 »
Finally, new earpads. Not sure what to say, bass seems a bit better. The old ones were so flat and compressed I guess that had something to do with it.

Really liking the black, would have been pretty cool if they could have made the black ones have that sort of metallic look the silver ones have.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2624 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 05:42:13 »
Finally, new earpads. Not sure what to say, bass seems a bit better. The old ones were so flat and compressed I guess that had something to do with it.

Show Image

Show Image

Really liking the black, would have been pretty cool if they could have made the black ones have that sort of metallic look the silver ones have.

Beatiful pictures. How long have you had them? They look beatiful. Mine (I dont use them now) have almost no paint on the label left.

I do think that the bass is better because of how well the new one seals around your ear compared to the old one. That have a big effect on the bass.  :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 October 2014, 05:44:11 by blackbox »
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2625 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 06:02:01 »
Why would the paint go off? My DT990s are *23-year-old* (yes, I'm not kidding) and look like new except cushion.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2626 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 06:36:19 »
Why would the paint go off? My DT990s are *23-year-old* (yes, I'm not kidding) and look like new except cushion.

well at my oldest dt770 its almost no paint (8 years). Just regular wear.

The LAN table!

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2627 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 10:01:47 »
The paint is coming off just a bit in some places, but nothing crazy. I have had them for a little over a year now I think.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2628 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 07:29:44 »

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2629 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 07:58:07 »
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2630 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 08:19:46 »
Considering buying an audio technica ath-m50 , but my library is only mp3 and it will be used without an AMP or onto my ipod .
It would be wasting money right ? (using a siberia for the moment ) .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline sobe

« Reply #2631 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 08:46:15 »
Considering buying an audio technica ath-m50 , but my library is only mp3 and it will be used without an AMP or onto my ipod .

My opinion, but for that price you could just grab a pair of NVX XPT100 or Creative Aurvana Live!, which IMO offer more for the price than M50's (IMO overhyped, but their build quality is like a tank). They do not need an amp though, so just fine for mobile listening :)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2632 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:24:15 »

M50s are in a weird spot right now

They're decent for the price but there are definitely other options to consider. They're not those end game headphones that a lot of headfier put them out to be

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2633 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:28:03 »
Any recommendation for a 150-200$ that wouldn't need AMP ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2634 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:54:30 »

NVX XPT100

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2635 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 11:27:54 »
anyone here have both ad700 and hd598's and play fps games?
 I have the ad700's and am wondering if the hd598's have comparable soundstage.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2636 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 11:29:13 »

Had a friend with the ad700's and they were pretty good but I felt like the HD598's (the pair I own), slightly edged them out. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2637 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 11:41:23 »

Open or closed? Beyerdynamic DT770 or 990s, 80 ohm.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2638 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 12:32:47 »

Well seeing as it is for mobile applications probably closed.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2639 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 13:27:04 »
I don't really think the dt770 is meant to be a mobile oriented device, even if you get the 32 ohms lol (They are rather large)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2640 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 13:29:47 »
I don't really think the dt770 is meant to be a mobile oriented device, even if you get the 32 ohms lol (They are rather large)

True but people do it anyway

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2641 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 20:15:08 »

True but people do it anyway

For mobile?  I'd seriously consider the vmoda XS or crossfade m-80

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2642 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:07:41 »

Well seeing as it is for mobile applications probably closed.

Didn't see the mobile application listed anywhere, if so, I would still recommend the 32ohm 770s if you have a large head and want something comfortable, and can put up with having a larger headphone.

For smaller, I would prefer iems myself, or something like the vmoda XS like binge said.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2643 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:22:39 »

Had a friend with the ad700's and they were pretty good but I felt like the HD598's (the pair I own), slightly edged them out. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I already have the ad700's and was curious if the soundstage on the hd598's is comparable as the ad700's are not very comfy on my head.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2644 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:25:15 »

I already have the ad700's and was curious if the soundstage on the hd598's is comparable as the ad700's are not very comfy on my head.

I would say they are on par or better. But if the AD700 are uncomfortable then the HD598s should be a huge step up in comfort!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2645 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 02:30:03 »
Thank you for the recommendation I'll look into what you suggested :)
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2646 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 06:51:20 »
Hi guys, hopefully someone can give me some help as you lot seem to be massively into your audio setups!

I have some Sennheiser HD555's and PC350SE's that I use (mainly the PC350SE's as I am generally gaming a lot). Would an amp/DAC be something I should think about buying to get the most out of these cans or is it not really going to make a vast difference?

I would like to enhance my audio experience but if a dac/amp isn't going to really do much, then I guess new higher end cans is where I should be looking to invest?

Cheers in advance :)

Thanks for the advice!

What I have decided to do is order an Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di, I will use my HD555's (with 595 mod) along with my PC350SE's and see if I noticed much difference initially. I then intend on purchasing a much nicer set of cans, I have yet to work out what price range I am prepared to go up to. I was thinking maybe some HD650's or something, I however would like some suggestions for other "decent" cans.

I can't think of anywhere near to me that sells decent headphones in abundance to be able to go and listen to them and see what I prefer, so I will have to go purely off reviews and recommendations.

Is there any particular headphones that pair really well with the EHP-O2Di? I can pick up a pair of HD650's for about £250 on Amazon UK which seems pretty cheap. I have always liked brands like Grado and Beyerdynamic. Any of you guys with superior knowledge please help a newbie out! I am not ready for spending thousands upon thousands for an audio solution but I would like to attempt a decent bang for buck scenario. Thanks

Both will see a boost yes, but your HD555's will see a very very minimal.... Whereas your PC350's use the HD595 drivers and will offer a better experience when amped. If you are interested in going with higher end anyway, what you can do is go ahead and purchase a good amp/dac and if you want MORE than just what your PC350 can provide, simply buy a better set of cans to pair with the amp you bought ;)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2647 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 08:24:39 »
Off topic but would be really helpful to get some responses:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMS6DQ9

Survey Regarding differences between audiophile and celebrity headphones for a short class presentation.
Thanks to any people that fill it out!

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2648 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 09:57:21 »

Survey Regarding differences between audiophile and celebrity headphones for a short class presentation.

This thing is waaayyy too broad, and frankly I don't know of any prominent celebrity branded headphones under $100.  In every category I could pick an "audiophile" headphone that is not celebrity branded that is great and fun to listen to.  Sorry mate I can't completely fill it out :-/

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2649 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 10:05:59 »

This thing is waaayyy too broad, and frankly I don't know of any prominent celebrity branded headphones under $100.  In every category I could pick an "audiophile" headphone that is not celebrity branded that is great and fun to listen to.  Sorry mate I can't completely fill it out :-/

Thanks
I'll look over it in about an hour to simplify it and narrow it down