Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1309326 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #2650 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 10:19:30 »
Off topic but would be really helpful to get some responses:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMS6DQ9

Survey Regarding differences between audiophile and celebrity headphones for a short class presentation.
Thanks to any people that fill it out!

This thing is waaayyy too broad, and frankly I don't know of any prominent celebrity branded headphones under $100.  In every category I could pick an "audiophile" headphone that is not celebrity branded that is great and fun to listen to.  Sorry mate I can't completely fill it out :-/

Thanks
I'll look over it in about an hour to simplify it and narrow it down

I was a bit rushed doing other things while trying to complete the survey so I also got a little flustered about that.  I feel like I know why you didn't list any celebrity headphones to represent a category and that is to prevent biased opinions and get answers from people who have actually listened to these headphones.  I just don't feel like celebrity branded headphones fit into each price category, or that they are well known enough for regulars or audiophiles to have had experience with these brands.

For instance... I know Beats, that 50 Cent brand, and the Q701 off the top of my head.  I've owned the 701s and when I'm in a mall/store there are lots of beats displays, but I've never seen the others displayed in big box/electronic stores for demo use.  Even when I'm seeing the Beats I'm not seeing the new version of the headphone... there's always the old version on display, and half the time they're cracked/broken.  PA hates music?  I dunno hahaha.

Food for thought this is a tough survey.  Maybe ask what people feel about celebrity branding on products?  Like say, "Think of three headphones you've heard one from the $0-100, $100-200, and $200-300 dollar price range.  If you were given the option to buy them how likely is it that you'd buy them if you had the income?  If those same headphones were celebrity branded by Lil Wayne what is the likelihood you would buy them?  Alright how about if they were endorsed by David Bowie?  Great.  Now what if the headphone was endorsed by Tim McGraw?"

That could be against the grain of what you were considering-- but to me that would get some more honest/"informed" answers out of people.  You know people informed that they like an endorsement from David Bowie over Tim McGraw. lol
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #2651 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 18:23:44 »
Off topic but would be really helpful to get some responses:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMS6DQ9

Survey Regarding differences between audiophile and celebrity headphones for a short class presentation.
Thanks to any people that fill it out!

This thing is waaayyy too broad, and frankly I don't know of any prominent celebrity branded headphones under $100.  In every category I could pick an "audiophile" headphone that is not celebrity branded that is great and fun to listen to.  Sorry mate I can't completely fill it out :-/

Thanks
I'll look over it in about an hour to simplify it and narrow it down

I was a bit rushed doing other things while trying to complete the survey so I also got a little flustered about that.  I feel like I know why you didn't list any celebrity headphones to represent a category and that is to prevent biased opinions and get answers from people who have actually listened to these headphones.  I just don't feel like celebrity branded headphones fit into each price category, or that they are well known enough for regulars or audiophiles to have had experience with these brands.

For instance... I know Beats, that 50 Cent brand, and the Q701 off the top of my head.  I've owned the 701s and when I'm in a mall/store there are lots of beats displays, but I've never seen the others displayed in big box/electronic stores for demo use.  Even when I'm seeing the Beats I'm not seeing the new version of the headphone... there's always the old version on display, and half the time they're cracked/broken.  PA hates music?  I dunno hahaha.

Food for thought this is a tough survey.  Maybe ask what people feel about celebrity branding on products?  Like say, "Think of three headphones you've heard one from the $0-100, $100-200, and $200-300 dollar price range.  If you were given the option to buy them how likely is it that you'd buy them if you had the income?  If those same headphones were celebrity branded by Lil Wayne what is the likelihood you would buy them?  Alright how about if they were endorsed by David Bowie?  Great.  Now what if the headphone was endorsed by Tim McGraw?"

That could be against the grain of what you were considering-- but to me that would get some more honest/"informed" answers out of people.  You know people informed that they like an endorsement from David Bowie over Tim McGraw. lol

thanks for your input

I just made quick changes to my current survey to remove the lower categories: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZFB9BQD

My main issues were that if I didn't make it broader with the various categories the data would be harder to compare ( possible) and that having the requirements of knowledge of multiple audiophile headphones in those price brackets would suggest that the user is relatively experienced.

On the other hand it does really make for a long survey to have those 6 categories so I just dropped it down to two categories (sub $300 audiophile and celebrity headphones)

I'm not really testing peoples' willingness to buy celebrity headphones which is why I didn't ask if they would still buy something if it was celebrity branded instead.

The presentation is more of a "present the facts about the quality of celebrity headphones with respect to audiophile headphones"

I was hoping to get a numerical value (even if it's not a standard measure of any sort)

I'm actually trying to avoid the issue of "well they're branded by X artist so I will or will not buy the headphones" and the issue of cosmestics

Hope this clarifies my choices in writing the survey! =) As always thanks for the input

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #2652 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 11:25:51 »
Okay, so based on what I've been reading so far, a pair of DT-770's would be ideal for listening to classical/jazz, especially when coupled with an amplifier, correct?
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2653 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 12:50:19 »
Okay, so based on what I've been reading so far, a pair of DT-770's would be ideal for listening to classical/jazz, especially when coupled with an amplifier, correct?

I wouldn't say ideal :-/

::EDIT:: to be more clear ideals are often shaded by what one considers to be the "best".  I do not belong to the camp that believes a headphone "tuned" for specific frequency ranges and instruments is idea for anything except live performances/studio where they would be used as a monitor for a specific instrument.  These headphones are best used for listening to monitors and not recordings.  A nice, flat, headphone which is adequately powered will allow you to listen to the mastering as intended.  So if the master was bad, it'll sound bad.  If there's distortion that the artist intended you'll hear the distortion.  Likewise when there are great and wonderful events in music that span the spectrum of frequency one is put into awe at how brilliantly it came together and can listen to the same passage over and over again and focus on a different nuance of the recording.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 October 2014, 13:06:57 by Binge »

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2654 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 13:47:03 »

::EDIT:: to be more clear ideals are often shaded by what one considers to be the "best".  I do not belong to the camp that believes a headphone "tuned" for specific frequency ranges and instruments is idea for anything except live performances/studio where they would be used as a monitor for a specific instrument.  These headphones are best used for listening to monitors and not recordings.  A nice, flat, headphone which is adequately powered will allow you to listen to the mastering as intended.  So if the master was bad, it'll sound bad.  If there's distortion that the artist intended you'll hear the distortion.  Likewise when there are great and wonderful events in music that span the spectrum of frequency one is put into awe at how brilliantly it came together and can listen to the same passage over and over again and focus on a different nuance of the recording.

+1

Hoping the Noble K10 will do exactly this for me.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2655 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 15:10:21 »
Edit:    sorry wrong thread :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 October 2014, 15:13:42 by LechnerDE »

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2656 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 15:11:03 »
Got some stuff from CTRL ALT today (potato alert!)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

and some dyesubs from Kmiller's first dyesub GB

Show Image

Wrong thread?

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #2657 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 15:27:14 »

While I agree with what you've said, this does not, in any way, address the question, nor does it take into account ****ty headphones, like the Blaupunkts I wasted $130 on.

It's like me asking "What is 2+2?" and you replying with "Rainbow Trout."
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2658 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 15:39:33 »
You asked if DT770 would be ideal for listening to classical/jazz.

My effective answer is no and I'm not sure where you missed that.

I've never responded to your "what is 2+2" oversimplification with "rainbow trout".  I told you the answer.  Someone may recommend it.  I would not and I'm sure a number of other people would not had they the energy to state the obvious.  This and most other headphones can not be considered unilaterally ideal for any given genre.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 October 2014, 19:51:26 by Binge »

Offline sobe

« Reply #2659 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 23:49:38 »
If classical and jazz are your thing, look at Sennheiser's offerings. If a more portable headphone is your forte, check out the Sennheiser Momentum.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2660 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 00:23:18 »
If classical and jazz are your thing, look at Sennheiser's offerings. If a more portable headphone is your forte, check out the Sennheiser Momentum.

I found the over ear momentums to be slightly V Shaped so I'm not sure they would be best suited to those genres but again it's up to the buyer to decide

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #2661 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 11:27:46 »
I've had my Sennheiser HD590s for about a decade now and I've loved them. Easily the most comfortable cans I've ever worn, and they're able to be effectively driven without an amp so you can use them with anything.

The connection to the can is starting to go bad so I'm either going to have to open them up and diagnose or get a new pair.

Too bad they discontinued them  :'(

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #2662 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 12:50:05 »

I found the over ear momentums to be slightly V Shaped so I'm not sure they would be best suited to those genres but again it's up to the buyer to decide

I have neither the will nor the funds to purchase several different pairs of headphones just to decide which pair I like. This is why I am in this thread. I do not want to repeat my experience with Blaupunkt where I spent good money on a pair of headphones just to discover that they suck donkey balls. I would rather get the opinion of people who listen to classical and jazz and know what headphones are better suited.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2663 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 13:03:36 »

I have neither the will nor the funds to purchase several different pairs of headphones just to decide which pair I like. This is why I am in this thread. I do not want to repeat my experience with Blaupunkt where I spent good money on a pair of headphones just to discover that they suck donkey balls. I would rather get the opinion of people who listen to classical and jazz and know what headphones are better suited.

If you are that worried about your money go to a hi-fi shop or pro audio store.  Listen to what they have in the store and don't assume you have to buy anything there.

If you know at least what sort of sound you do like and which headphone made that sound people here can help you by suggesting similarly tuned cans.

Offline pharaoh

« Reply #2664 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 19:52:52 »
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619501/a-complete-list-of-celebrity-endorsed-and-celebrity-tribute-headphones-with-a-few-unknown-surprises

As the link gives away, It's topical to the discussion above.

edit: http://celebheadphones.blogspot.com/    ...I threw up in my mouth a little bit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 October 2014, 20:06:34 by pharaoh »
hhkb type-s| jd40 | jd45 | keycool87

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2665 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 05:54:09 »
Just got myself a used Sennheiser HD800 for 800USD (liked the symmetry), not at all cheap but it's within my budget. I has some minor cosmetic defects but my goodness, the soundstage! :eek:

I also have a Sennheiser HD555 from about a decade back, and an Audio Technica ATH-AD700X.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 November 2014, 05:55:44 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2666 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 06:27:10 »
800USD is an outstanding price! I got mine used in great condition for $1200. The soundstage truly is mind blowing.

Lately my Hifiman HE-500 has been getting all the head time. I just put some of the new HE-560 pads on it and man does it sound sweet!
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline godly_music

« Reply #2667 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 07:52:29 »
Personally I love a flat response for any kind of music. That still enables you to use an amp to give it some extra bang if that's what you're after. If your headphone's sound is already coloured one way or the other, it's much more difficult to make it sound flat.

Usually the DT 880s are favoured for classical listening because they're open, airy and very analytical. The 770s are usually described similarly, but since they're closed they are more bassy. I would recommend the Beyers to anyone, particularly because they have metal innards, while I'm pretty sure Senns are mostly plastic.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2668 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 08:34:27 »
The Senns are mostly plastic but their build quality is rock solid. Honestly, the most fragile-feeling Sennheiser I've owned is the HD800, which is supposedly made out of some space-age, proprietary acoutsic composites. That's not a headphone I usually lug around everywhere though, so it doesn't really bother me too much.

I like neutral sometimes but I also like colored depending on what music I'm listening to or what kind of mood I'm in. I just keep multiple sets of cans around for any occasion. Just like keyboards, why limit yourself to only one flavor :)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2669 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 08:41:25 »
Personally I love a flat response for any kind of music. That still enables you to use an amp to give it some extra bang if that's what you're after. If your headphone's sound is already coloured one way or the other, it's much more difficult to make it sound flat.

Usually the DT 880s are favoured for classical listening because they're open, airy and very analytical. The 770s are usually described similarly, but since they're closed they are more bassy. I would recommend the Beyers to anyone, particularly because they have metal innards, while I'm pretty sure Senns are mostly plastic.

Unfortunately I've always felt beyers to be unnatural =[

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2670 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 09:03:59 »
i'll welcome myself to the forums with these.

81400-0
81406-1

81402-2

81404-3
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2671 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 09:11:32 »
The Senns are mostly plastic but their build quality is rock solid. Honestly, the most fragile-feeling Sennheiser I've owned is the HD800, which is supposedly made out of some space-age, proprietary acoutsic composites. That's not a headphone I usually lug around everywhere though, so it doesn't really bother me too much.

I like neutral sometimes but I also like colored depending on what music I'm listening to or what kind of mood I'm in. I just keep multiple sets of cans around for any occasion. Just like keyboards, why limit yourself to only one flavor :)
I tried the T90, I found the highs to be a tad metallic, a tad bright for my liking.....lacks warmth. It sounds good though, which was why I'd considered it as well.....knocked it off before I was left with two, Senn HD650 and a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog. Got tired of bargaining with the seller of the latter, called the HD800 seller and dealt with him almost immediately. I'd auditioned it, the HD650, The Beyer T90, even an Audeze LCD 2 (too damn costly!). Sound appreciation is so subjective anyway, and the old saying holds true here: One man's meat is another man's poison.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2672 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 09:45:50 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Love the Q701! I've always thought that was one of the best looking headphones. Some people hate it, but I really like the color scheme. Great headphone if you like a bright and detailed sound.

I tried the T90, I found the highs to be a tad metallic, a tad bright for my liking.....lacks warmth. It sounds good though, which was why I'd considered it as well.....knocked it off before I was left with two, Senn HD650 and a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog. Got tired of bargaining with the seller of the latter, called the HD800 seller and dealt with him almost immediately. I'd auditioned it, the HD650, The Beyer T90, even an Audeze LCD 2 (too damn costly!). Sound appreciation is so subjective anyway, and the old saying holds true here: One man's meat is another man's poison.

Very true. Everyone has their own distinct preference when it comes to sound.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2673 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:01:51 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Love the Q701! I've always thought that was one of the best looking headphones. Some people hate it, but I really like the color scheme. Great headphone if you like a bright and detailed sound.

I fell in love with the color and look since i first saw the green/black Q701's and after the sound reviews i knew i had to have them and luckily shortly after getting a large sum of money they dropped on MD.
i actually favor the sound of the Q701's the most out of all my headphones and i found the Grado SR80i's to be brighter and harsh after getting my Q701's (they seemed fine before i got it)
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:05:38 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline godly_music

« Reply #2674 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 15:39:15 »
Never tried the T90 myself but the frequency curve for the 880 blew my socks off. Kinda surprised how neutral the HD650 still is.

I'm sure Sennheisers are fine. I had one before; it wasn't the plastic that failed on me, it was the detachable cord that I had to re-buy three or four times. They're still good phones. Ironically, I just now have to replace that little plastic clamp holding the earpieces to the headband on my Beyer. One of them cracked after years of use. I suppose the metal & plastic thing might as well be an aesthetic preference.

Offline sobe

« Reply #2675 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 06:52:35 »

The T90 really warms up when connected to a good matching tube amp. I've found the T90 matches amazingly when paired with a WooAudio WA7 Fireflies.

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #2676 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 08:04:19 »
I have a pair of Qpad QH-85 (basically an open-ear version of Takstar Pro 80 with a removable mic). It's a very nice headset for the price (€90) and I've used it for about three years now and I'll probably keep using it until it falls apart or until I have enough money to justify getting an audiofile-grade pair of headphones.
I use it with the integrated soundcard on my cheap four year old Gigabyte mobo and the sound quality produced by the mobo obviously isn't the best and the noise is very noticeable at times. So after some research I've decided that I should get an external DAC/Amp.
I'm leaning towards the Fiio E10K since it's pretty cheap and I've heard good things about it.
Do any of you have experience with the E10K or do you know any better DAC/Amps in the same price range that you can recommend?
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2677 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 10:34:12 »

The T90 really warms up when connected to a good matching tube amp. I've found the T90 matches amazingly when paired with a WooAudio WA7 Fireflies.

That's odd to hear... I always felt beyers had this really unnatural treble.
And the fireflies was really harsh with the stock tubes.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2678 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 11:20:14 »
Bought a DAC/AMP to feed the beast, though the soundstage on the HD800 is exceptional, enabling 3D audio and Bass Boost (subtle increase only) inspired me to finish listening to some CD's I'd not bothered to finish when I'd first gotten them. With 3D audio, the wide soundstage on the HD800 became more spacious. Oh yeah, it's an iFi Micro iDSD which has quite a few features that I liked.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 11:22:13 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2679 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 11:34:44 »
I have a pair of Qpad QH-85 (basically an open-ear version of Takstar Pro 80 with a removable mic). It's a very nice headset for the price (€90) and I've used it for about three years now and I'll probably keep using it until it falls apart or until I have enough money to justify getting an audiofile-grade pair of headphones.
I use it with the integrated soundcard on my cheap four year old Gigabyte mobo and the sound quality produced by the mobo obviously isn't the best and the noise is very noticeable at times. So after some research I've decided that I should get an external DAC/Amp.
I'm leaning towards the Fiio E10K since it's pretty cheap and I've heard good things about it.
Do any of you have experience with the E10K or do you know any better DAC/Amps in the same price range that you can recommend?

I'd recommend checking out the Schiit Magni/Modi. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better DAC/amp stack at that price point.

Bought a DAC/AMP to feed the beast, though the soundstage on the HD800 is exceptional, enabling 3D audio and Bass Boost (subtle increase only) inspired me to finish listening to some CD's I'd not bothered to finish when I'd first gotten them. With 3D audio, the wide soundstage on the HD800 became more spacious. Oh yeah, it's an iFi Micro iDSD which has quite a few features that I liked.
Show Image

I drive mine with a Schiit Bifrost Uber and Lyr. A good set of NOS Amperex Orange Globes makes it sound silky smooth. I'd really like to have a Woo Audio WA2 or a Decware Taboo MKIII.

Offline iri

« Reply #2680 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 17:19:22 »
i came to this thread for advice on good earbuds for my new $50 player and realized i'm pathetic.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sobe

« Reply #2681 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 19:08:07 »
That's odd to hear... I always felt beyers had this really unnatural treble.
And the fireflies was really harsh with the stock tubes.

Beyer's treble does have quite a bit of sparkle to it, and really to go into Beyers you have to like that. As for the Fireflies recommendation I made, the Beyer T90 and WA7 Fireflies has such a synergy together that words cannot simply describe how great it is and how perfect those 2 are for each other. That being said, yes, I would recommend the 6C45 tube upgrades if purchasing directly from WooAudio.

The T90 are the highest I have gone into the audiophile segment as far as personal equipment goes, can't quite afford the HD800 that I'd love to have without selling one or more pair of others that I'm not ready to part with yet.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2682 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 00:03:05 »
i came to this thread for advice on good earbuds for my new $50 player and realized i'm pathetic.

Noble K10 universal? xP

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2683 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 11:35:26 »

Nothing pathetic about it  :) Headphones can be an expensive hobby, even more so than keyboards. Everyone starts somewhere.

Not sure what your budget is, but the UE900 is a good IEM (with the Comply foam tips) with a reasonable price tag. When I'm on the go, I listen to mine straight out of my iPhone without an amp and they sound good. They are a little on the warm-ish side with slightly forward mids. I'd look elsewhere if you want something bass-heavy but it is nicely balanced and easy to drive.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #2684 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 16:18:53 »
I have entered the wonderful world of headphones a bit more enthusiastically now.

I started probably about 10 years ago with some Sennheiser HD555's, then ended up with PC350SE's for use on my PC for gaming.

I recently got an Epiphany Acoustics O2 amp/dac and have a pair of AKG Q701's on the way via massdrop. The amp/dac has really brought the PC350SE's to life! Such a big difference, to which I wasn't expecting really. Not that noticeable anyway. I am hearing things that I have never picked up on before and it seems to have opened up these cans!

I can't wait for my AKG's to arrive as they should be a far superior headphone to the PC350's anyway.

Needless to say, I have the feeling this along with keyboards is going to be something else to pour money into.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2685 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 16:38:09 »
I have entered the wonderful world of headphones a bit more enthusiastically now.

I started probably about 10 years ago with some Sennheiser HD555's, then ended up with PC350SE's for use on my PC for gaming.

I recently got an Epiphany Acoustics O2 amp/dac and have a pair of AKG Q701's on the way via massdrop. The amp/dac has really brought the PC350SE's to life! Such a big difference, to which I wasn't expecting really. Not that noticeable anyway. I am hearing things that I have never picked up on before and it seems to have opened up these cans!

I can't wait for my AKG's to arrive as they should be a far superior headphone to the PC350's anyway.

Needless to say, I have the feeling this along with keyboards is going to be something else to pour money into.

Careful!

Unless you're buying lots of clacks on the aftermarket the audio world can be Much more expensive

Offline iri

« Reply #2686 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 17:33:29 »

Nothing pathetic about it  :) Headphones can be an expensive hobby, even more so than keyboards. Everyone starts somewhere.

Not sure what your budget is, but the UE900 is a good IEM (with the Comply foam tips) with a reasonable price tag.
right, they are only 10 times more expensive than my player.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2687 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 22:38:59 »

Not sure what your budget is, but the UE900 is a good IEM (with the Comply foam tips) with a reasonable price tag.

Should the price ratio between the headphones and the player even be a factor as long as it sounds good? I think you will find people are only going to recommend decent audio equipment in this thread.  :)

Perhaps you would be better served picking up a $10 pair of JVC earbuds from WalMart

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2688 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 23:05:39 »
I really wonder how these EK sales work, especially now. Does CC have any say in who they sell to after he gives them the clacks?

As in, do they only go by their "ban" list or does CC send them the names/addresses of people he knows of who are either gaming the system or not allowed to win (Such as people like K3 or any of his supporters)

Since these sales do not go by username I would imagine it would be easier for people to get in who CC might not want to win.

Who knows, just a thought.

Spoiler alert: we're all banned.
:))

My JVC XX buds were decent before I moved onto my 535s, I would recommend them for the $30 they cost me if thats what you are looking for.

Offline iri

« Reply #2689 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 02:39:58 »
Should the price ratio between the headphones and the player even be a factor as long as it sounds good?
nope, but had i $550 to spend on a portable player and headphones, i'd distribute the money more evenly between the products. like, buy ibasso dx50 and westone um2 :)

Perhaps you would be better served picking up a $10 pair of JVC earbuds from WalMart
thanks! but ticket to the usa is even more expensive than those gorgeous creative's headphones you recommended :p

My JVC XX buds were decent before I moved onto my 535s, I would recommend them for the $30 they cost me if thats what you are looking for.
thank you for you advice.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2690 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:31:25 »
Show Image

Tried the idsd a while ago on a Hifi exhibition. I liked it but I am always very sceptical to the inclusion of filters. Nice to hear that you liked them.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline TheSven

« Reply #2691 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 16:41:23 »
Superlux HD668Bs for music on my phone.
Plantronics Gamecom 780 for my PC (listening, gaming and recording).

Offline iri

« Reply #2692 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:55:54 »
I decided to go with Audio-Technica ATH SJ-55.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2693 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 00:36:52 »
Alright guys. I need some advice. I have an opportunity to trade my T90s and $250 for Hifiman HE-560s. Is it worth it? The amp/dac I would be pairing it with is the CEntrance DACmini CX.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2694 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 10:28:41 »
Alright guys. I need some advice. I have an opportunity to trade my T90s and $250 for Hifiman HE-560s. Is it worth it? The amp/dac I would be pairing it with is the CEntrance DACmini CX.

I really did not like the T90 as I mentioned before =S

But that deal doesn't seem the greatest to me either

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2695 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 11:28:08 »

How so? What about the deal isn't fair? The T90s are about ~400ish + $250 cash and then the HE560's he was asking for $735 ish for a straight sale.

Personally I love the T90s detail and clarity. My only issue with them is that they lack some musicality when paired with the DACmini.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2696 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 11:41:49 »

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #2697 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 12:12:15 »

How so? What about the deal isn't fair? The T90s are about ~400ish + $250 cash and then the HE560's he was asking for $735 ish for a straight sale.

Personally I love the T90s detail and clarity. My only issue with them is that they lack some musicality when paired with the DACmini.

I find other headphones have just as good clarity and whatnot but are still musical.

And last I saw the T90 they were over $500 new?

Maybe I'm mistaken in the prices that I remember

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2698 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 12:26:49 »

I find other headphones have just as good clarity and whatnot but are still musical.

And last I saw the T90 they were over $500 new?

Maybe I'm mistaken in the prices that I remember
They are both used. But I got my T90s for just under 400 shipped.

Offline codymaust

« Reply #2699 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 23:52:14 »
I currently have Beyer DT770's, and really enjoy them

Would the VSonic GR-07's (bass edition) be a good choice for an IEM under $150USD?