Author Topic: I genuinely prefer Rubber Dome over Cherry MX Blues and White Alps  (Read 13251 times)

Offline froogle

It's 3AM here....letme grab some sleep...Sunday after all. Some of the below may not make sense...sleepy tired.
TBC

Research: Why do I prefer Rubber Dome?

1) High 'bounce back' activation force.

2) Less 'surface area' of keys, meaning less typos (see Sigma AFK-7100MC photos)

3) No 'bottoming out' and loud 'tock' sound

4) Height or layout of keys (only applies to Sigma AFK-7100MC)
I found that the Sigma AFK-7100MC used a very very neutral layout which can be described in one word; "FLAT". Most significantly, there is hardly any height difference between the "QWERTY" row and the "ASDFG" row that makes a hard to describe 'unusual feeling' that impacts typing speed quite a bit.

5) No 'midway' point.
With the Blues and White Alps there is always a 'travel time' in which the keys react linearly (or so they feel as the force of the spring is so little) and feel like 'floating' or something like 'air time'. It just feels odd for a user who is used to the unique feel of the rubber dome. With a rubber dome it is more 'sudden' and 'quick' feeling as if the keys accelerate downwards after you apply "x" amount of force; leading there to be no faff of 'floating'

*note, as for input rapidity, the blues and alps win, but as I have stated, I have not been able to master the art of not bottoming out so I always do the useless travel through 'air time' or 'floating'.

Summary

I found out about this site over at overclockers(dot)net ....
I thought that I would get some good by attaining a nice mechanical keyboard for essays and the like but now, after about 2-3 months of using both Cherry MX Blues and White alps I have gone back to rubber domes.

I can see how the click could feel nice for some but I didn't really care at all...I feel still very comfortable with rubber domes.

Justification/Explanation
Call me an id^ot all you like but I'm just here to remind some of those who may be considering to set a lot of money down on a keyboard that they may not in fact enjoy it as much as they think they would.

I haven't used Browns, Topres, etc. etc. so I can only judge from a narrow point of view but hey, the Blues are easily the most common right?

I did not master the art of typing without bottoming out and so that was probably a big disadvantage but I honestly could not see myself changing my typing ways, even though I have only started using PCs since 2-3 years ago.

As for typing speed, I honestly found that I was more consistent with the rubber domes, probably due to their high activation force required....

Thats all folks lol....
PM me if you want some more detail etc.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 January 2011, 20:34:24 by froogle »

Offline NimbleRabit

I genuinely prefer Rubber Dome over Cherry MX Blues and White Alps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 13:59:46 »
I think it's good to remind people every once in a while that other kinds of keyboards can be fine too.  Not everybody is going to be completely blown away by a mechanical, and some people might even prefer other types.  I decided to get a mechanical keyboard after trying one out and loving it, but I don't think anybody should buy something without at least giving it or something similar a test drive.  That goes for anything, not just keyboards.

Hell, I think scissor switch keys are actually very pleasant to type on in a lot of ways.  I do prefer mechanical so far (only had this thing for a day), but it's not like I would die if I had to use a scissor switch keyboard.  At the end of the day it's all about preference, and it's nice to find out exactly what you really do prefer.

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:02:13 »
Do you touch-type?

Offline froogle

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:04:08 »
Quote from: Keymonger;275265
Do you touch-type?

:hurt:

Yes I do lol...why would I have invested so much money on a keyboard if I couldn't type fast and efficiently.

I get around 70-80wpm which isn't too good but considering things like essays in which you need some thought process it is more than enough lol.

Offline froogle

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:07:27 »
Quote from: ripster;275266
Yep, I put that caveat into the "Geekhack Mechanical Keyboard Guide".  I'm not a zealot like those OCN people.

Sorry?!

I did do my research, and your database and guide really did help me. I just though that it would be nice if I added to the community by adding my own experience; just to reinforce the already stated facts.

Is this not what a forum community is about?
Or have I missed something?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:13:11 »
a lot of ppl here like topres, sorry but rubber dome is rubber dome.
currently i'm fine and happy with cherry browns and i can't see myself with other boards (main cuz i don't see a viable option to mod other types of switches like topre/BS), so i guess that's where the limit is.
i might make one for my fiancee but i'm guessing just finding a pink flico will be just as good instead.

Offline froogle

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:16:04 »
Quote from: ripster;275271
Chill dude.  I'm agreeing with you.

Show Image

:redface:

I feel like a right old numpty right now....I guess I found your description of those 'zealots' over at OCN a little hostile....for I was one of those 'zealots' before I encountered your guide and then later, this website.

Sorry about that!

Offline Pylon

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:17:20 »
I'm personally liking scissors a lot.

I play a free FPS game (AssaultCube) with the default keyboard on my laptop (Dell E6410) and it works great. The low throw works pretty well for gaming, and the key matrix works well - W, Shift (crouch), Space(jump), and either A or D can be held down simultaneously without blocked keys, which is good enough for me.

One of my favorite boards was a rubber dome Dell Quietkey RT7D5JTW. Better than black Alps IMO, though I'm liking whitey Alps now quite a bit. Never used Cherries, and buckling springs were nice, but a bit heavy, and slowed down my typing quite a bit (tradeoff for improved accuracy, partly due to auditory feedback).
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:44:58 by Pylon »

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:20:20 »
Quote from: froogle;275259
Summary

I found out about this site over at overclockers(dot)net ....
I thought that I would get some good by attaining a nice mechanical keyboard for essays and the like but now, after about 2-3 months of using both Cherry MX Blues and White alps I have gone back to rubber domes.

If you don't like clicky, get a Cherry black. These are also stiff enough to dampen your bottom-out typing style.

I started to use a mechanical some months ago. I thought blacks are not stiff enough. Now I would prefer them a little less stiff.

Justification/Explanation
Call me an id^ot all you like but I'm just here to remind some of those who may be considering to set a lot of money down on a keyboard that they may not in fact enjoy it as much as they think they would.

Loved mine within a few days. Every new keyboard is different and needs adjustment. Once you love your new keyboard and type on your old one, you can't beleive how you could type with that for all those years.

I haven't used Browns, Topres, etc. etc. so I can only judge from a narrow point of view but hey, the Blues are easily the most common right?

No, blacks are.

I did not master the art of typing without bottoming out and so that was probably a big disadvantage but I honestly could not see myself changing my typing ways, even though I have only started using PCs since 2-3 years ago.

What did you use before?

MIPS? 68k? SPARC?

Sell off your Cherry and get a cheap used Cherry POS with blacks.
Like it?
Get a new one with blacks, otherwise:
there are still other mechanical keyboards (Topre, IBM,...)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:27:25 by 7bit »
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline godly_music

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:23:09 »
Seeing how he hasn't tried MX Blacks, I am not at all surprised.

Offline froogle

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:33:32 »
Quote from: Pylon;275275
I'm personally liking scissors a lot.

I play a free FPS game (AssaultCube) with the default keyboard on my laptop (Dell E6410) and it works great. The low throw works pretty well for gaming, and the key matrix works well - W, Shift (crouch), Space(jump), and either A or D can be held down simultaneously without blocked keys, which is good enough for me.

One of my favorite boards was a rubber dome Dell Quietkey RT7D5JTW. Better than black Alps IMO, though I'm liking whitey Alps now quite a bit. Never used Cherries, and buckling springs were nice, but a bit heavy, and slowed down by typing a bit (tradeoff for improved accuracy, partly due to auditory feedback).

I also have a friend who prefers scissors sw., the likes of Apples Aluminium keyboard...I told him about mechanical, he tried it and hated it lol...and he reaches a steady 110 wpm....  

Quote from: 7bit;275277

Loved mine within a few days. Every new keyboard is different and needs adjustment. Once you love your new keyboard and type on your old one, you can't beleive how you could type with that for all those years.

That is what I initially though precisely. However, after using the Blues and Alps for a prolonged time, it became evident that I was stuck to the typing mthod of rubber domes. Thus, I went back.

Quote from: 7bit;275277

What did you use before?
MIPS? 68k? SPARC?

Sell off your Cherry and get a chap used Cherry POS with blacks.
Like it?
Get a new one with blacks, otherwise:
there are still other mechanical keyboards (Topre, IBM,...)

I didn't use PCs...handwriting? lol...
I will see if I can get my hands on any Blacks...I doubt it though as sourcing of these are scarce in Europe.

Quote from: godly_music;275280
Seeing how he hasn't tried MX Blacks, I am not at all surprised.

Sorry if I caused any discontempt ! I remember being told that I shouldn't get something as heavy as the Blacks because they were too stiff etc. I was too naive....lesson learnt I guess! Everyone has their preference.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:38:39 »
Hey, no need to apologize (least of all to me). I'm glad not everyone feels compelled to spend hundreds of bucks on these. Mechanicals were definitely an upgrade for me, I'm not a big fan of the mushy bump of a rubber dome. My comment about the MX Blacks was more in "pokey at the regulars" sense because that's the only mechanical switch I've ever tried and it disqualifies me from making statements like these. ;)

It is a good switch though, try it if you get the chance.

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:39:20 »
Where in europe are you? If you will cover shipping both ways I might be willing to send you a board with blacks to try out.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline bakageta

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 14:45:47 »
*shrugs* Everyone has their personal preference, I don't think too many people here will crucify you for not liking the first mech board you tried. It sounds like clears or blacks may be more your style,  though, so if you're still up for trying some other boards, I'd dig around on ebay and see what you can come up with.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
1/2 off topic
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 15:50:56 »
Apropos white ALPS:

Some keys on my 'new' SGI granite are dead! (F4, F5, F6)

Also: I thought they where linear, but very few switches are clicky. So it is quite worn out.

Any suggestions?
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 16:03:50 »
...I feel still very comfortable with rubber domes...

Nobody's perfect
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 16:18:37 »
In regards to scissor switches...I find that short throw keys can be very fun to type on.  Especially if there is a defined bottom (no mushiness).  This is why I sometimes like typing on the Apple chicklet 'boards, the ML4100, and M4's (scissor, mechanical, and BRS, respectively...all short throw).

I think that if you grew up on cheap rubber dome keyboards, you won't always take to a mechanical board with defined tactile feedback.  A LOT of mechanical fans spend a lot of their early keyboarding days on Bucking Springs and Alps switches.  

Note, this isn't, necessarily, a mechanical keyboard community.  This is a community of people who are passionate about their computer input devices (primarily keyboards).  I diehard rubber dome lover is not out of place, but rather, a potential valuable resource that can fill that hole in the wiki, reviews section, etc.  Feel free to stick around and provide some content.  No one switch, keyboard, etc is king here...

Offline froogle

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 16:33:43 »
Quote from: bakageta;275291
*shrugs* Everyone has their personal preference, I don't think too many people here will crucify you for not liking the first mech board you tried. It sounds like clears or blacks may be more your style,  though, so if you're still up for trying some other boards, I'd dig around on ebay and see what you can come up with.

Thank you for informing me a little more about the community. I doubt that I can get anything off eBay as I am currently based in France....
I will have a look at the other mechanical keyboards you mentioned.

Quote from: 7bit;275326
Apropos white ALPS:

Also: I thought they where linear, but very few switches are clicky. So it is quite worn out.

Any suggestions?

Sorry, I am a newb as far as I know. I have no idea. Hijack another person's thread or just make yourself your own one. :D

Quote from: clickclack;275331
Nobody's perfect

:mmph:
I knew it was just a matter of time before someone posted this.

Quote from: iMav;275337
In regards to scissor switches...I find that short throw keys can be very fun to type on.  Especially if there is a defined bottom (no mushiness).  This is why I sometimes like typing on the Apple chicklet 'boards, the ML4100, and M4's (scissor, mechanical, and BRS, respectively...all short throw).

I think that if you grew up on cheap rubber dome keyboards, you won't always take to a mechanical board with defined tactile feedback.  A LOT of mechanical fans spend a lot of their early keyboarding days on Bucking Springs and Alps switches.  

Note, this isn't, necessarily, a mechanical keyboard community.  This is a community of people who are passionate about their computer input devices (primarily keyboards).  I diehard rubber dome lover is not out of place, but rather, a potential valuable resource that can fill that hole in the wiki, reviews section, etc.  Feel free to stick around and provide some content.  No one switch, keyboard, etc is king here...

Thank you very much, iMav for further explaining the phenomenon behind keyboard enthusiasts...I myself only started with a rubber dome keyboard and so it would make sense that I feel more comfortable with the rubber dome kind.

I will consider trying out an apple keyboard as well...the only thing that is putting me back is the size and spacing of the keys...I will have to reserach into this as the keys look dauntingly large. At least with Apple products you can test them out here in France!

I feel very lucky to encounter such a nice person on a forum lol...it's probably a first for me. I shall even go to the extent of saving your words in the form of a .text document so that I will be able to readily access it in order to help others as well as guiding myself!

I am astounded by the amount of responses I have received....it feels like a very close knit community, something that has been lacking over at OCN... ;D.

Again, thank you all for your kind advice.
I think the best option for me now is to try out other forms of rubber dome such as scissor switches, giving a break on mechanical keyboards....as well as my wallet....

I hope that all of you have a prosperous new year! (bit late...but nonetheless...there are still 350 odd days left!)

Offline Pylon

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 16:37:50 »
Quote from: 7bit;275326
Apropos white ALPS:

Any suggestions?

The SGI switches with white stems aren't what's usually referred to as white Alps around here. The switches on the SGI are basically non-clicky black Alps with rubber dampers and a white stem, while white Alps here usually refer to a white-stemmed Alps switch with clicky internals.

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 16:41:41 »
Quote from: Ascaii;275287
Where in europe are you? If you will cover shipping both ways I might be willing to send you a board with blacks to try out.

why is it that last post on a page always ends up ignored. My offer stands.

And towards the topic...I too have/had a dome for a while...my backup/dos board for the longest time was a Monterey K371 with "tactile membrane switches". Still used once in a while today, though that usually is dependent on how lazy i'm feeling XD.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 January 2011, 16:47:09 by Ascaii »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 17:21:52 »
I don't like white ALPS either. I have modded some of my mechanicals so that they are soft when I bottom out -- like rubber domes -- even if I don't bottom out on them in normal typing. I hate bottoming out hard, and I am not a fan of the loud noise of Cherry MX blues or buckling springs either.
What I do like about Cherry boards is that they are crisp and precise. Low wobble and key rattle.

There have been studies that have shown that for many people, typing speed can be impaired if the keyboard is too light, so it is not surprising that you find your speed to be lower on Cherry Blues.

On Apple's aluminium keyboards the distance from the center of one key to the next is the same as on "full-sized" keyboards, but the actual surface area on the top of each key is larger, which could lead to more typing errors.

Offline patmok

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 17:33:42 »
I have black cherry (6g) and White alps (at101), always end up using my rubber dome (logitech media elite).

For some reason they never felt right, just ordered a hhkb pro 2. Never tried topre, hope I like them :)

Offline froogle

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 17:38:32 »
Quote from: Ascaii;275360
why is it that last post on a page always ends up ignored. My offer stands.

And towards the topic...I too have/had a dome for a while...my backup/dos board for the longest time was a Monterey K371 with "tactile membrane switches". Still used once in a while today, though that usually is dependent on how lazy i'm feeling XD.

I am verry sorry about that! I was sure that I clicked the "multi" but maybe not. I am very grateful that you offered to do me such a favour but unfortunately I think that I will call it quits for now.

I am currently using a POS membrane rubber dome keyboard that I bought for 10 euros...and guess what? I'm now typing a constant 90wpm! The exta mushi-ness has somehow helped me...

Keyboards really are preference aren't they ? LOL

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 17:41:09 »
haha, yeah. I hope to be reading some rubber dome reviews from you in the future! My last board before this was a Dell Quiettouch I picked up on a flea market for 1€. Can't bear the thing anymore, i'm afraid. It will take the dumpster dive soon I think.^^

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 17:54:35 »
i came from the rubber dome background and i almost guarantee that you would love the Topre Realforce boards... i mean.. it technically is a rubber-dome -.-   the money to dish out for one of these bad boys is ridiculous though
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 18:03:40 »
For sure, there are good rubber dome keyboards and there are bad rubber dome keyboards out there.  And there are good rubber dome keyboards that become bad quickly over time.

You are not alone in enjoying rubber domes, I find that topres in essence are rubber domes, and there are a lot of people here who like Topre's more than cherry switches and buckling springs.

You may also like keytronic keyboards, they are supposedly very decent rubber dome KB's.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 18:19:59 »
The OLD  beige Keytronics are nice as rubber domes go. You might try one of those if you can find one. I bought a keyboard with Cherry Browns in it and found that I did not care much for them so I can understand everyone has their own preferance.
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 18:27:07 »
like the two above me, i came from a keytronic which was easily the best chearp rubber dome out there from what i've tried.

i also purchased a cherry brown board and found it to be too light and ended up selling it
Topre Realforce 103UB
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
[/strike]

Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 18:38:54 »
*shrugs* Everyone has their personal preference

People who prefer buckling springs, ALPS white, and Cherry blues probably also prefer sand in their KY. Just sayin'
:rofl:
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 January 2011, 18:42:06 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 18:56:23 »
Quote from: ricercar;275424
People who prefer buckling springs, ALPS white, and Cherry blues probably also prefer sand in their KY. Just sayin'
:rofl:

j/c, what's your switch of choice then -.-
Topre Realforce 103UB
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
[/strike]

Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 19:13:40 »
I voted Cherry brown and black in the last two polls, respectively, after buying a virgin Cherry black board between polls. She's smoooooooth.

That's right, poll. P - O - L - L. A poll asks a question. A pole is either a long cylinder or a Polish national.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 January 2011, 19:18:19 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 20:03:49 »
I came here looking for a mechanical keyboard that was most like my cheap Key Tronic (one of the best rubber dome boards). I found Topre was the best match. Not everyone who likes mechanical keyboards likes clicky switches, so your best best would be a non-clicky tactile switch. Cherry brown or clear would probably be a good match as well.

Offline bakageta

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 20:09:39 »
I believe this is using blacks, if you were interested in trying another switch.

Offline froogle

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 20:18:50 »
Quote from: Findecanor;275370
I don't like white ALPS either. I have modded some of my mechanicals so that they are soft when I bottom out -- like rubber domes -- even if I don't bottom out on them in normal typing. I hate bottoming out hard, and I am not a fan of the loud noise of Cherry MX blues or buckling springs either.
What I do like about Cherry boards is that they are crisp and precise. Low wobble and key rattle.

There have been studies that have shown that for many people, typing speed can be impaired if the keyboard is too light, so it is not surprising that you find your speed to be lower on Cherry Blues.

On Apple's aluminium keyboards the distance from the center of one key to the next is the same as on "full-sized" keyboards, but the actual surface area on the top of each key is larger, which could lead to more typing errors.

I too think that I am now a hater of hard bottoming out. The White Alps keyboard I have in particular just hits rock bottom and makes a loud 'tock' sound that can drive me insane.  I have read about how people have taken out the clicky leaves and lubricated the stems of the keys but never about dampening....what? do you just add sponge or something?

Thanks for the info about the Apple keyboard. That maybe something I should consider more as well. surface area of keys. Funnily enough both my Cherry MX blue and Alps keyboard have flatter keys with more surface area!

Hmmm...so that's another trick of the trade eh...

Quote from: patmok;275383
I have black cherry (6g) and White alps (at101), always end up using my rubber dome (logitech media elite).

For some reason they never felt right, just ordered a hhkb pro 2. Never tried topre, hope I like them :)

It's really good to hear that I'm not the only one who wasted their money on keyboards :thumb: I just had a look at thr price tag of Topre and nearly had a heart attack....

Maybe once I win the lottery but before that? I really can't afford it :P

Quote from: Ascaii;275394
haha, yeah. I hope to be reading some rubber dome reviews from you in the future! My last board before this was a Dell Quiettouch I picked up on a flea market for 1€. Can't bear the thing anymore, i'm afraid. It will take the dumpster dive soon I think.^^

:wacko:  Don't expect much from me! I'm lazy and drowning in piles of work to do as it is.... :D

Even if I were to review rubber dome keyboards...it wouldn't be of much help considering I am fairly new to the scene...I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try though.

Quote from: nocturn4l3030;275399
i came from the rubber dome background and i almost guarantee that you would love the Topre Realforce boards... i mean.. it technically is a rubber-dome -.-   the money to dish out for one of these bad boys is ridiculous though

QUIT MAKING ME DROOL guys ! I will check it out...

Quote from: elbowglue;275405
For sure, there are good rubber dome keyboards and there are bad rubber dome keyboards out there.  And there are good rubber dome keyboards that become bad quickly over time.

You are not alone in enjoying rubber domes, I find that topres in essence are rubber domes, and there are a lot of people here who like Topre's more than cherry switches and buckling springs.

You may also like keytronic keyboards, they are supposedly very decent rubber dome KB's.

It makes me wonder...when exactly will I notice a side=effect of age on a rubber dome keyboard...yet enother reason to go Topre eh?

I will check out Keytronic as well...sounds funky.

Quote from: Pixel_Outlaw;275413
The OLD  beige Keytronics are nice as rubber domes go. You might try one of those if you can find one. I bought a keyboard with Cherry Browns in it and found that I did not care much for them so I can understand everyone has their own preferance.

The best rubber dome I have is a Hewlett Packard Multimedia keyboard that is clunky as h3ll and weighs a bit and is coincidentally beige....
Thanks for the advice on Browns...I was thinking about how they would feel, considering they are not clicky and are silent...

Quote from: nocturn4l3030;275415
like the two above me, i came from a keytronic which was easily the best chearp rubber dome out there from what i've tried.

i also purchased a cherry brown board and found it to be too light and ended up selling it

Yet again! Another great piece of advice...I will stay away from the Brown MXs then!

I feel obliged to do a review of some sort now...with 3 pages of replies....you never fail to suprise me do you...geekhack lol

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 20:22:28 »
MX Browns vary greatly - I found that I like the feel of them a lot on a PCB-mounted board and not so much on a plate-mounted board. YMMV though.

Offline clack

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 20:25:39 »
its really no problem, people like different things. some men like girls and some men like rubberdomes. i always envy how wallet friendly the rubberdomes are.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 20:41:35 »
Some like duckies.

Some like tigers.

Hell, some even like pandas!

Offline killy

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 20:56:39 »
A keytronic rubber dome is not just 'any' rubber dome.

I've tried the stocks ones that come with HP, Dell, etc. You couldn't really call those keyboards.