Author Topic: Filco or Leopold?  (Read 46094 times)

Offline neo

Filco or Leopold?
« on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 17:09:54 »
Hi everyone!
I think I am ready to buy my first mechanical keyboard after lurking a few days in this great forum.

I am trying to decide between Filco FKBN87M/EB and Archiss AS-KB87T (Leopold FC200R brown). Assuming I can get them for the same price, which would you recommend?

I know a few people here have both boards, which one do you like more?
I am not in US, so no reason to wait for EK.

On a side note, did anyone manage to convince any of the relevant Japanese/Korean/Taiwanese shops or forwarding services to specify lower price on the shipping box?

Offline RiGS

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 17:14:04 »
Filco has better interiors. Leopold has better keycaps and detachable usb cable. I would pick the filco.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 17:23:37 »
Quote from: neo;295030
Hi everyone!
I think I am ready to buy my first mechanical keyboard after lurking a few days in this great forum.

I am trying to decide between Filco FKBN87M/EB and Archiss AS-KB87T (Leopold FC200R brown). Assuming I can get them for the same price, which would you recommend?

I know a few people here have both boards, which one do you like more?
I am not in US, so no reason to wait for EK.

On a side note, did anyone manage to convince any of the relevant Japanese/Korean/Taiwanese shops or forwarding services to specify lower price on the shipping box?

If you're worried about lower price, I'm assuming you're in Europe and worried about VAT? I'd say if that's the case go for a Filco from keyboardco. People here love that guy, seems to be quite the reputable seller.

If not, it really just depends on your preferences, like the previous poster said. Removable USB cord + better keycaps vs. better build quality. I ended up going for the Filco after looking at both options. I figure I'll eventually swap the keys out, and then the Filco is leagues better than the Leopold.
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline bytemeavaj

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 17:50:54 »
I was under the same dilemma and chose Filco. I heard, overall, they are better quality (besides the keys).

And since I now have one, I can comment the Filco is amazing quality and a joy to use. You can tell it's a solid and well made keyboard.
I\'m a tool.

Offline Anteloptics

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 18:01:16 »
Personally, I grew tired of waiting for this mythical 'Leopold' that one hears so much about and I grabbed a Majestouch when PCHome ran there 10$ shipping special. I think they're out of those now, though.

Offline RiGS

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 18:08:04 »
Quote from: ripster;295065
Pay your taxes.  Helps the poor.

You probably meant the Rothschild family.

Offline neo

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 18:57:41 »
Quote from: ripster;295065
Pay your taxes.  Helps the poor.

You assume too much. I wanted to find out if anyone here robs the poor of their wine. Would never even think about doing it myself. Honest. God only knows what the poor will do if they ever sober up.

Any advice on the Filco vs Leopold question?

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 19:07:16 »
Quote from: neo
God only knows what the poor will do if they ever sober up.

Rich & lazy people drink a lot too. Just ask Ripster.

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 19:33:46 »
Quote from: neo;295112

Any advice on the Filco vs Leopold question?

Yeah, if you go back up to the top you'll find it. Seems the general consensus around the web is the Leopold/Archiss aren't of as good build quality as the Filcos. Keycaps are nicer, though. Take your pick of what you prefer.

Personally, I picked build over keycaps. Keycaps you can replace, boards are expensive to replace.
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 19:35:56 »
Quote from: ripster;295139
I always cite "the Web" when I make an argument.

There is no more reliable source.

In retrospect...I should have said 'wikipedia' lulz

Offline Felcom

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 20:14:30 »
Pardon my noobish-ness, but I've seen a couple people say that the keys are higher quality on the Leopold. Isn't that a major factor in how it endures the test of time? It seems like something that should tip the scale to me.

The only reason I ask is because I'm also trying to decide between Filco and Leopold as my first mechanical board.

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 20:33:12 »
Quote from: Felcom;295162
Pardon my noobish-ness, but I've seen a couple people say that the keys are higher quality on the Leopold. Isn't that a major factor in how it endures the test of time? It seems like something that should tip the scale to me.

The only reason I ask is because I'm also trying to decide between Filco and Leopold as my first mechanical board.

Yeah, the keys are of better quality. But the rest of the board is better built on the Filcos. Keys can be changed, the body can't.

Offline Felcom

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 20:37:46 »
Quote from: .XL;295174
Yeah, the keys are of better quality. But the rest of the board is better built on the Filcos. Keys can be changed, the body can't.

Ah, excellent point. The detachable USB doesn't really do anything for me so I guess it's time to hunt down a Filco brown =D

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 20:39:24 »
Quote from: Felcom;295175
Ah, excellent point. The detachable USB doesn't really do anything for me so I guess it's time to hunt down a Filco brown =D

Yeah, that was something that interested me when I first started looking between Filco/Leopold...but I realized that I never move my keyboard around. The only time that'd be useful is if you have multiple keyboards with the same design that you switch between for multiple things on the same computer.

I have one keyboard. On one computer. And a totally separate laptop.

...which is weird, because I have three keyboards...

Offline Wogrim

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 22:49:16 »
aww don't go convincing me i shouldn't wait for the leopold =(

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 23:29:47 »
Quote from: Wogrim;295212
aww don't go convincing me i shouldn't wait for the leopold =(

Get the Filco (armygroup). 10 days and you'll have it in your hands. Or you could wait forever for the Leopolds, IF they come.

I feel like elitekeyboards would send out something saying 'coming in 2 weeks' or at the very least WARN their customers that the Leopolds are coming, to stop people from buying overseas. That guy really dropped the ball on this one...he had the opportunity to make a huge killing off this but he ended up failing miserably.

Get the Filco, you won't regret it. Have it weeks before the Leopold comes out.

Offline xira

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 00:07:23 »
I did neither. I went for the Rosewill RK-9000 and have no regrets. Mind you I need tenkeys for work however, so that's kind of a deal breaker for many. Kind of hard to beat the price for a keyboard that's very similar to the Filco.
Keyboards: Leopold FC200RR/AWN - Rosewill RK-9000 Mouse: CM Storm Xornet

Offline neo

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 06:23:33 »
Alright, Filco it is. Thanks everyone for your input. Detachable cable would be useful (I realized the reason I never move keyboards around is because it's so damn difficult with attached cables and computers under the desks), and better caps would be nice of course, but better overall construction quality is more important.

I will order from armygroup I think, do they also have a set of high quality replacement caps suitable for Filco tenkeyless?

Offline RiGS

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 06:26:32 »
Nope. For replacement keycaps check out the group buys section of this board.

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 08:55:18 »
Quote from: RiGS;295338
Nope. For replacement keycaps check out the group buys section of this board.

This^^

Check the group buy section today. I think the ability to vote will close soon.

I got a full set of blank blacks for my white filco ;) can't wait for it all to get here!

Offline multi

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 14:31:21 »
I'm just curious, can you link me to where exactly did you see that Leopold's insides weren't as good as Filco's?  I see some worries because of the Ducky detachable cable quality but nothing specific for Leopolds...

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 14:38:58 »
Edit: Ripster stole my thunder.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 14:43:34 »
Quote from: multi;295625
I'm just curious, can you link me to where exactly did you see that Leopold's insides weren't as good as Filco's?  I see some worries because of the Ducky detachable cable quality but nothing specific for Leopolds...

Actually the build quality is pretty much on par. Both are decent boards. The illusion that Filco boards are of high quality was probably caused by Majestouch manually sorting out bad ones before shipping. Ever noticed how the amount of topics for faulty Filcos significantly increased since they stopped shipping from the US and are coming n from Taiwan and the UK instead? Can't be a coincidence.

Quote from: majestouch
{...} all blue boards that leave EK are tested to make sure every key clicks {...}

Edit: Also the pics are not pulled, webserver got DDOSed and is currently down.

Offline RiGS

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 14:46:20 »
What about the dual layered fr4 pcb and the surfuce mount diodes? I don't see any complains about rattly stabilized keys on Filcos either.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 February 2011, 14:48:49 by RiGS »

Offline jdreamer

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 16:05:03 »
I guess that everyone is fed up in waiting. I believe weeks ago, people are saying that the wait is worth it. Now, people are saying that Filco is better, just go for it.

I'm one of those who are impatient and gone for Archiss/Leopold. I'm using Brown switch and it's amazing in my opinion. The main thing that interests me so much compared to Filco is that it has a detachable USB cord, so that I can pack it easier compared to a non-detachable when I move around with my laptop.

It's really depends on yourself though. A mechanical keyboard is built to last. I don't think that it will break down that easily compared to a normal keyboard. Even if it breaks, that will be like what.. 9 or 10 years later? Or maybe more years than that? By then, you'll have the chance to buy a new mechanical keyboard again.

I got my Archiss/Leopold tenkeyless and I never regretted. So amazing to type on. :D
My life for Aiur!

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 16:10:49 »
All that said and done, Filco is proven and Leopold/Archiss isn't much of a big name. Filco has customer confidence all over Asia from what I can tell, while the Leopolds/Archiss are smaller distribution with many less customers. Even the Korean gaming pros use Filcos over Leopolds. You figure they'd use the Leopolds if they were just as good?

Then again, their new run might be fantastic and the pros might all switch over. Who knows. It's usually better to go along with the proven brands rather than gamble with your $150.

Offline manfaux

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 17:17:25 »
Quote from: .XL;295687
All that said and done, Filco is proven and Leopold/Archiss isn't much of a big name. Filco has customer confidence all over Asia from what I can tell, while the Leopolds/Archiss are smaller distribution with many less customers. Even the Korean gaming pros use Filcos over Leopolds. You figure they'd use the Leopolds if they were just as good?

Then again, their new run might be fantastic and the pros might all switch over. Who knows. It's usually better to go along with the proven brands rather than gamble with your $150.

well the pro gaming scene is all about sponsorship, tons of players are still on the good old Qsenn DT35. The only reason I would want a Filco (if I were to go out and buy another cherry board) over a Leopold right now is probably because of the space bar problem.

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 17:26:15 »
Quote from: manfaux;295713
well the pro gaming scene is all about sponsorship, tons of players are still on the good old Qsenn DT35. The only reason I would want a Filco (if I were to go out and buy another cherry board) over a Leopold right now is probably because of the space bar problem.

afaik Fruitdealer isnt sponsored by 'Filco' he just used the board because it's his favorite. Same for one other Korean pro, don't remember the name. He has very girly hands though...

I'm not familiar with the space bar problem...what's that about?

Offline Jieun

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 17:39:47 »
Quote from: .XL;295717
afaik Fruitdealer isnt sponsored by 'Filco' he just used the board because it's his favorite. Same for one other Korean pro, don't remember the name. He has very girly hands though...

I'm not familiar with the space bar problem...what's that about?

Actually, I'm pretty sure the entire TSL team uses Filcos (I've seen Tester as well as other use it). Even if they aren't directly sponsored, many teams buy the equipment for their members, and TSL just so happened to pick Filcos.

Offline Rairden

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 17:42:38 »
My cheap $10 dell has lasted 12 years.  I've never seen my cheap keyboards EVER break or malfunction.  Quality to me seems over rated.

Can majestouch tell us in this thread an ETA of leopolds?  Like are they getting their shipment or what?  I'm gettin real impatient and might just get a filco from armygroup.  And have been thinking that for the past month.

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 19:23:51 »
Quote from: Jieun;295724
Actually, I'm pretty sure the entire TSL team uses Filcos (I've seen Tester as well as other use it). Even if they aren't directly sponsored, many teams buy the equipment for their members, and TSL just so happened to pick Filcos.

Wasn't even aware of that. I guess that just strengthens the argument, then. If one of the best SC2 pro teams chooses the Filco, it's saying something.

Quote from: Rairden;295727
My cheap $10 dell has lasted 12 years.  I've never seen my cheap keyboards EVER break or malfunction.  Quality to me seems over rated.

Can majestouch tell us in this thread an ETA of leopolds?  Like are they getting their shipment or what?  I'm gettin real impatient and might just get a filco from armygroup.  And have been thinking that for the past month.

I doubt he'll respond. EK sold out of Filcos the day I went to buy them (was on the fence about spending the money) and I waited for what seemed like an eternity. I ordered my Filco off Armygroup this past Friday. Had enough waiting.

Offline bytemeavaj

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 19:27:52 »
Quote from: Rairden;295727

That's not really quality. That's like saying a 1985 Honda who has operated without breaking down for 25 years is the same quality as a 2010 Bugatti Veyron.
I\'m a tool.

Offline bytemeavaj

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 19:28:54 »
Quote from: .XL;295760
Wasn't even aware of that. I guess that just strengthens the argument, then. If one of the best SC2 pro teams chooses the Filco, it's saying something.

I doubt he'll respond. EK sold out of Filcos the day I went to buy them (was on the fence about spending the money) and I waited for what seemed like an eternity. I ordered my Filco off Armygroup this past Friday. Had enough waiting.

Elitekeyboards is horrendous with responding to emails. I've sent 4 emails, never received a response back once.

I won't buy from there even if they come back in stock.
I\'m a tool.

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 19:39:35 »
Quote from: bytemeavaj;295765
Elitekeyboards is horrendous with responding to emails. I've sent 4 emails, never received a response back once.

I won't buy from there even if they come back in stock.

I'm sure the guy can be nice, sometimes, but from the outside looking in it looks like he has terrible customer service. His previous customers might be treated well once they BUY something, but that's not as big as treating potential consumers right. He's just turned me off to EK completely. Will I buy anything from him? Sure, if I can't find it anywhere else for cheaper, because I'd prefer to keep him in business rather than lose our only mech keyboard distributor of note.

Offline bytemeavaj

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 20:00:55 »
Quote from: .XL;295768
I'm sure the guy can be nice, sometimes, but from the outside looking in it looks like he has terrible customer service. His previous customers might be treated well once they BUY something, but that's not as big as treating potential consumers right. He's just turned me off to EK completely. Will I buy anything from him? Sure, if I can't find it anywhere else for cheaper, because I'd prefer to keep him in business rather than lose our only mech keyboard distributor of note.

Well, we were in the midst of negotiating a trade for a keyboard for some of my server items and he just stopped responding to me. And then I sent him a PM regarding the trade, apologizing to him if he thought I was hassling him with the trade, and he never responded.

I guess it's okay for him to mention what he wants out of the trade, but when I mention what I would like, he gets pissed off.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 February 2011, 21:58:55 by bytemeavaj »
I\'m a tool.

Offline jomiyo

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 20:10:47 »
Quote from: sixty;295633
Actually the build quality is pretty much on par. Both are decent boards.[...]

Music to my ears; I shall wait and see the loads of reviews/comparisons. :fencing:

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 20:43:47 »
Quote from: jomiyo;295784
Music to my ears; I shall wait and see the loads of reviews/comparisons. :fencing:

Now why would you do that? Impatience is a virtue!

In other news, how long does it take US customs to clear packages from Armygroup? My Filco landed in New York yesterday afternoon...

Offline digitalleftovers

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 20:53:26 »
I think its a little unfair to bash EK for customer service.  For all I know, the whole company is just one person.  How can they be expected to respond to every email they receive? If you had a bad experience, then that is one thing, but i wouldn't jump to the negative over lack of response.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline Rairden

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 21:02:45 »
Quote from: bytemeavaj;295763
That's not really quality. That's like saying a 1985 Honda who has operated without breaking down for 25 years is the same quality as a 2010 Bugatti Veyron.

How do you define quality?

For me I think the criteria is:
durability (materials used, glue, plastics, electronics)
comfort

And that's pretty much it.  If I've never seen a $10 dell mess up my entire life then I say it's been effective.  My $8k sportbike and $9k truck require constant maintenance and dont last nearly as long as a $10 DELL.  LOL.

I think I'm sayin you only need so much quality.

Offline .XL

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 21:45:20 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;295796
I think its a little unfair to bash EK for customer service.  For all I know, the whole company is just one person.  How can they be expected to respond to every email they receive? If you had a bad experience, then that is one thing, but i wouldn't jump to the negative over lack of response.

If your business reaches a size where you can't effectively manage the customer service side as well as the business side, you need to hire someone. If he had a 1 or 2 person staff, he'd easily be able to run the whole thing. He'd be able to expand his business greatly, too. He serves a niche market, for sure, but one that is a luxury good and one that has great growth potential. I mean, he's selling keyboards. EVERYONE uses keyboards. No one said he has to sell only mechanical...but I digress, I'm ranting.

Point is, being a one person business isn't a reason to skimp on customer service. I work for my dads company, there's three fulltime an me parttime, and we manage 6000 customers just fine. And these are customers that call all the time, some lonely people even call in just to talk about the weather...

Quote from: Rairden;295800
How do you define quality?

For me I think the criteria is:
durability (materials used, glue, plastics, electronics)
comfort

And that's pretty much it.  If I've never seen a $10 dell mess up my entire life then I say it's been effective.  My $8k sportbike and $9k truck require constant maintenance and dont last nearly as long as a $10 DELL.  LOL.

I think I'm sayin you only need so much quality.

That sportbike and truck have a lot more moving parts than a membrane keyboard. The less moving parts, the longer the item will last. Your dell membrane lasting so many years can be due to all sorts of things...not much use, gentle use, sturdy construction, etc. Maybe it does have great (for a $10 keyboard) build quality.

I think a more appropriate metaphor for you to use would be 'why buy a Porsche 911 when I could drive around a Honda Fit.' They're about the same size, they perform what is essentially the same function, but they do it differently. If you put the Honda through the same tests you put the Porsche through, it'll die much faster. If you put the Dell through the same tests you put a mech keyboard through, it won't survive.

You pay for true, not perceived, quality.

Offline bytemeavaj

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 21:58:30 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;295796

That's fair, but I sent him two PM's on here with an apology, and he's been on to check him PM's and didn't bother to respond. Call it what you will, but it doesn't exactly leave me with a good impression.
I\'m a tool.

Offline nigritude

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 22:24:34 »
he seemed quick to respond to my emails (though i guess i was a paying customer)

Offline jaynoon

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 22:52:45 »
Yeah I've had fantastic customer service from EK. I had an 86UB with a spongy key and he cross-shipped a replacement no questions asked.

So do they prioritize paying customers? Probably. As a paying customer I wouldn't have it any other way.

Could they be more responsive to potential customers? Maybe, but that's sales, not customer service. You're only a customer once you buy something.
Home: Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Work: KBC Poker w/ Reds | Laptop: MacBook Air Keyboard

Offline nigritude

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 23:19:55 »
what is a "spongy" key lol?

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 23:51:29 »
Hi all,

Hot thread here:)

First off, I should apologize (partly) for the wait, but in all fairness, EK has never officially announced we'd be carrying Leopold keyboards on our website; we've only alluded to it;)

The current state of things is that the manufacturing end has not held up to their delivery promises; so while we originally planned a 1 month delay, things are getting pushed back a few more weeks. As of this week, ETA is now mid-March, but I'm waiting for a solid date before I announce anything officially.

Don't want to be entirely OT, so with respect to the OP, despite that he/she may have already decided, I will give my two cents on the question of FILCO or Leopold for the record.

My somewhat detailed comparison:
-Case: I've heard some people like the sharper angles of the FILCO, and my eye somewhat agrees, but I do like how the Leopold case is much easier to open (you just use a credit card) and the cable channels are nice; aesthetic perceptions are forgiving with time (ugly wife, but a good cook, etc.). Both cases are similar in strength and flex.

-Keycaps: The FILCO key coating and pad printing look nice a first but current revisions (last 2 years) don't age well; Leopold's keycaps don't have a coating that wears off and even if the white in-fill of the lasered lettering wears off or chips away (probably will), the letter is there to stay.

-PCB: this is really up in the air, both boards have similar material quality, though on close inspection I'd say the Leopold has a slightly more durable physical trace design for this type of PCB material when used with plate mounted switches; but time will tell. Through-hole diodes on Leopold versus SMD on FILCO; it doesn't really matter, though I've seen more SMD diodes fail than through-hole in my days, it's almost statistically insignificant.

-Controller: Same basic features; FILCO uses Holtek, Leopold uses Cypress. We did see a lot of bricks with the Holteks in FILCOs, and despite FILCO putting the controllers on modules, I'm still hearing DOA stories from folks who recently bought a FILCO from overseas (EK tested every board, apparently overseas sellers do not:( ). It's hard to think Cypress will be any worse, time will tell:)
Note: while FILCO may have some advantage of having a detachable controller board; i.e. you don't have to scrap the entire board...actually getting replacement controller boards is another question (FILCO's parent doesn't stock them, nor do distributors).

-Stabilizers: Leopold stabilizers are from Cherry and make for easy keycap removal (cleaning and replacement); FILCO stablizers have a slightly smoother travel than the Cherries (if greased), but are a pain in the arse to remove and replace and are easy to break.

-Misc: They're both made-in-TW mechanicals that are designed by the same designer (who doesn't work for either company). The FILCO design was originally intended to be minimalistic and sturdy and the Leopold design follows the same vein, but Leopold adds the detachable cable and takes some queues from Realforce boards by adding cable channels on the underside of the board and 2-angle feet with softer rubber in the front for better traction. One concern I have about Leopolds is that the detachable cable connectors (same on Duckys) are probably *not* of the same ilk as the connector on an HHKB Pro, so there is a question of tolerances, reliability, how they'll age, etc.

Some other thoughts...

Member sixty has a point about FILCO, EK did do a lot of filtering (yes Ripster, some Saturday nights were wasted), and we really pushed FILCO's parent hard to make improvements to their boards; with minor success. Coincidentally and *completely* unrelated, the RK-9000 is a nice board...(Oh well, water under the bridge.) The FILCO name is what it is today, in part, due to the fact that EK carried it. And any product that EK carries in the future is going to go through the same quality filter and we'll work to make improvements where necessary. Fortunately, the team at Leopold has a strong future and is much more in tune with our direction and methods than FILCO was.

Just a sidenote, you may ask why the rubber on the fold-out feet of the FILCOs was scrapped in the Leopold design. On the FILCO it was necessary to compensate for the fact that the front rubber feet barely provided any traction when the back feet were folded out (due to the angle the front pads are mounted at). The rubber fold out feet were a band-aid that had the occasional side effect akin to getting your foot stuck in between some rocks, wherein you could end up with a broken ankle; so with the Leopold design the rubber on the foldout feet was removed and more traction was added with a second set of front feet that have full contact with your desk while the back feet are folded out. Who knew Topre had it right from the beginning! R&D sometimes saves money down the line;)

BTW, bytemeavaj (assuming you read this far!), sorry if I didn't respond to your last PM, I wasn't pissed, just inundated with other requests from other people for the same items. I kind of look at classifieds here as a swap-meet-like environment where people make offers and try to barter, and if you get ignored or passed by, then your offer wasn't attractive, that's it. You don't sweat it, you make another offer or move on to the next booth, etc.

Also, if you sent an e-mail to the tune of "where are themz leopoldz?" to the EK sales address, then you're on the very bottom of the response pile (with those people who ask for unwarranted discounts and waivers of sales tax). It's not meant in any disrespect, but given the volume of such mails, and presence of a message in the side bar of every product page on our website addressing that the announcement of the new boards will be via newsletter...I cannot guarantee a response.  Though if you're tremendously polite, an existing customer, or just darn creative I might bite:) If you sent such an inquiry to the support address, then it was probably deleted. Yes, existing customers have priority; that won't change.

Ok, that's the most of it...for what I lack in brevity I hope I make up for in quality;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 February 2011, 23:55:29 by majestouch »

Offline cyberphine

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 00:03:13 »
Thanks for the update Majestouch, although I can't say it's good news.  And boom goes the dynamite.  :(
Programmer, Skeptic, Overly Paranoid Tinkerer
\' or \'1\'=\'1 should be on a post-it note for devs
Keyboards:

Filco Tenkeyless Brown, BLT Series - 82 Key Backlit Illuminated Keyboard with Touchpad Black, IBM Model M, Logitech G15
Computer:
Core i7-920, 6GB OCz RAM, ASRock MotherBoard,1TB WD Hard Drive, 3 x Samsung BX2450
Want to play with:
Red Cherries, Blue Cherries, Clear Cherries, Topre, Choc Mini, HHKB, KBC Poker, Mini-Guru

Offline jomiyo

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 01:16:52 »
Eh, I've been on this crappy, $10 HP rubber dome board for nearly 5 years, so another month or so isn't exactly gonna kill me.

That said, I hope it is March and not months later. Anyway, thanks for the post.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 February 2011, 01:20:21 by jomiyo »

Offline manfaux

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 03:10:44 »
Quote from: .XL;295760

TSL is sponsored by Skydigital nKeyboard. They just happen to have been Filco distributors for years and just started making their own mechanical. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire TSL team switches to those in next GSL season.

it says nothing about Filco, Startale is sponsored by Zowie and have been rolling with their Celeritas, and we'll probably see Boxer on a blackwidow soon given the deal they just finalized on. They are sportsmen trying to make money, not keyboard enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 February 2011, 03:15:43 by manfaux »

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 03:56:04 »
@Majestouch,

Thank you kindly for the update.  Hopefully stock arrives as soon as possible so business can get booming again!  A lot of people (including myself) were anxious for the arrival of the new boards.  Unfortunately I couldn't wait any longer and had to pull the trigger for a Filco, but the previous support of EK for Filcos along with reviews from helpful board members made me quite satisfied and confident with my purchase.  Moreso now that I have it in hand!

Quote from: manfaux;295951
TSL is sponsored by Skydigital nKeyboard. They just happen to have been Filco distributors for years and just started making their own mechanical. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire TSL team switches to those in next GSL season.

it says nothing about Filco, Startale is sponsored by Zowie and have been rolling with their Celeritas, and we'll probably see Boxer on a blackwidow soon given the deal they just finalized on. They are sportsmen trying to make money, not keyboard enthusiasts.

I hope that Boxer and the rest of the SlayerS team doesn't have to go with a BlackWidow over a Filco.  Imagine having all of their players needing to adjust to a new layout after having been used to a "standard" one for many years.

At least the Celeritas resembles a keyboard that these pros have been using for quite some time.

I'm not bashing the BlackWidow as I personally haven't tried it yet, but after reading reviews about its controversial layout (F-keys moved over, macro keys on the left) I'm not sure it would be in SlayerS best interest not to downgrade from Filco boards to BlackWidow boards.

I'm absolutely fine with them keeping Razer mice as for the most part, they're very well made and have excellent reviews from the majority of gamers.

Not too confident about the keyboard switch though.  We'll see.
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline nigritude

Filco or Leopold?
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 11:06:31 »
LAWLS @ that animated lego pic