Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 893927 times)

Offline Soarer

XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 21:27:43 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;579331
FWIW, you can do the navbar stuff in CSS, too - no need to do it in JavaScript.
The navbar is done in CSS, but effectively it's a client-side include I really wanted... just happened to find a .js solution and moved on to something else... it would be great if there's a neater way :-)

Quote from: bhtooefr;579331
Typo on the firmware page:

"Teensy++ (no longer vailable)"

Looks quite nice, though.

Thanks! Going for a simple and clean look, mainly because I can't be bothered too much with two sets of styles for print and screen! Also, content is key, at this stage.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #401 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 07:33:12 »
(I posted this yesterday, then a database rollback killed it...)

Happy Birthday to my Converter!!!

One year old today!!!

To celebrate, I present v1.0, with these new and improved features...

• Jump to bootloader function, triggered by a macro or a command line tool
  • Tools built for Linux and Mac OS-X
  • scinfo tool to display version and memory use
  • Settings protocol improvements for reliability
  • Reduced hex size (now fits in 16KB, just)
  • Reduced memory use when not using onbreak macros and/or not using layers
  • Documentation

(Be warned: I've rushed this out, and haven't fully tested it all yet!)
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 April 2012, 15:22:03 by Soarer »

Offline Zorael

« Reply #402 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 12:03:36 »
Quote from: Soarer;579614
Happy Birthday to my Converter!!!

One year old today!!!

Congratulations!

Pre-built linux tools sounds awesome! Excuse me if I'm sobbing; I've just spent the better part of yesterday putting together a patch to fix compilation on linux (including a Makefile) which is all suddenly hopelessly irrelevant! ;'3

I'm preparing to solder my new Teensy2 onto the controller board of an old Model M keyboard (the 8P5C terminal connector kind), but I'm still at the point where I need to drill holes for bolts. I had to take it apart to clean it out properly and replace some springs. Besides finding a proper config to flash, still remaining is to figure out which controller board surfaces and joints to solder to! D: (any help/pointers/links appreciated)

Quote from: Soarer;539989
Quote from: SmallFry;539786
Will you ever open source your code? I know I've asked before, but can't recall off hand.

I really don't know if or when. Once done it cannot be undone - last time I started thinking about it I got bogged down in trying to decide what license to use (and I still don't really like any of them). All I can honestly say is that it might happen eventually, but it's not at all high up on my to-do list.

Do I understand it correctly then that the tools are open source, but the firmware itself is not? If so, that's a bummer. :( You're certainly free to do with your software as you wish! I had just hoped to learn from it.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #403 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 12:54:40 »
Quote from: Zorael;579916
Congratulations!
Thanks! And welcome to geekhack!

Pre-built linux tools sounds awesome! Excuse me if I'm sobbing; I've just spent the better part of yesterday putting together a patch to fix compilation on linux (including a Makefile) which is all suddenly hopelessly irrelevant! ;'3
Oh man, I'm really sorry :-(  There were a few posts about porting a while back (but they might've been lost in one of the rollbacks).

Your patch looks pretty interesting - my build is lame by comparison, I fear!

I'm preparing to solder my new Teensy2 onto the controller board of an old Model M keyboard (the 8P5C terminal connector kind), but I'm still at the point where I need to drill holes for bolts. I had to take it apart to clean it out properly and replace some springs. Besides finding a proper config to flash, still remaining is to figure out which controller board surfaces and joints to solder to! D: (any help/pointers/links appreciated)
Hmm, I guess you might be able to trim an IDC connector to fit where the cable plugs onto the controller. Maybe from a USB header, if 2x5 pins would cover the ones you need.

Do I understand it correctly then that the tools are open source, but the firmware itself is not?
That's right, yes. The tools need to be open IMO because you shouldn't run exes from anonymous people without being able to check them somehow! :-)

Offline andrewjoy

« Reply #404 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 06:00:40 »
will this work on the rubber dome wise boards also ? i got one off ebay quite cheap i was expecting plate mounted blacks but this is one of the best rubber domes i have typed on what to convert it and use it at work ( i cannot have a loud keyboard :(

Offline Soarer

« Reply #405 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 06:10:30 »
I don't know the keyboard - any idea what protocol it uses? What connector?

Offline andrewjoy

« Reply #406 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 08:24:34 »
it uses a phone type connector similar to other terminal boards

i am amusing it uses the terminal scan codes but i cannot be sure i will get a modelf number when i get home

Offline John Boone

« Reply #407 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 11:38:31 »
Quote from: Soarer;579614

Reduced hex size (now fits in 16KB, just)

Congrats and happy birthday for your Converter !

I would like to know if it is possible to run the code on an ATmega16U4, which has less ram (only 16kB) ?

Thx

Offline Soarer

« Reply #408 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 13:45:16 »
Quote from: John Boone;581868
Congrats and happy birthday for your Converter !
Thanks!

Quote from: John Boone;581868
I would like to know if it is possible to run the code on an ATmega16U4, which has less ram (only 16kB) ?
Yes, it can, with some caveats...

First, it won't fit with the standard Atmel DFU bootloader (which is 4KB), so some other means of loading the firmware has to be used.

Second, the 16U4 has less RAM, so that limits how complex you can make your config (re. layers and onbreak macros).

Third, it's completely untested, since I don't have a 16U4. I'm pretty sure that it will work fine, but I had to admit that!

That said, there is a 16U4 hex file in the v1.0 zip :-)

Offline John Boone

« Reply #409 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 18:40:15 »
Thanks for the answer, well I will stick with the 32k version as for now, since i am not very experienced and don't know yet what will be my future needs.

Another little question, i saw that there is a "RC" version of the ATmega32U4, but could your code run on a RC clocked MCU ? It would be clocked at only 8mhz instead of the 16mhz of the cystal quartz "powered" teensy v2.0.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #410 on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 05:37:09 »
Quote from: John Boone;586774
Thanks for the answer, well I will stick with the 32k version as for now, since i am not very experienced and don't know yet what will be my future needs.
Unless you already have some 16k chips, then it's definitely worth going for the 32k. It's not hugely complicated to program them another way, but it does mean buying a programmer, or adapting another USB dev board to be a programmer.

Quote from: John Boone;586774
Another little question, i saw that there is a "RC" version of the ATmega32U4, but could your code run on a RC clocked MCU ? It would be clocked at only 8mhz instead of the 16mhz of the cystal quartz "powered" teensy v2.0.
No, it needs the 16MHz crystal. The RC oscillator isn't good enough for full-speed USB.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #411 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 02:09:57 »
Woo, busted out the Unsaver tonight. Converter works great, and now I finally have the layout I've always wanted!

One note: it might be handy if you could include PS/2 set 1 make codes in your manual side by side with the HID codes. I use Aqua's key test which prints out the PS/2 make codes, so I had to go grab the Translate.pdf from Microsoft to do a lookup.
Or: you could also make a note that LANG_4 is the center key in the arrow cluster for 122s. :D
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Soarer

« Reply #412 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 05:24:48 »
BTW: LANG_4 is the center key in the arrow cluster for 122s. :-p

There is an easier way to find that out - HID codes are printed to the hid_listen output as +XX / -XX, and the HID code list in the docs is in numeric order ;-)

Actually, that's the best way because then you know the code that needs to be remapped, rather than seeing the code after any remappings you might already have. (Of course, if you haven't loaded any remaps, it's the same thing!)

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #413 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 14:19:13 »
Quote from: Soarer;601190
BTW: LANG_4 is the center key in the arrow cluster for 122s. :-p

There is an easier way to find that out - HID codes are printed to the hid_listen output as +XX / -XX, and the HID code list in the docs is in numeric order ;-)

Actually, that's the best way because then you know the code that needs to be remapped, rather than seeing the code after any remappings you might already have. (Of course, if you haven't loaded any remaps, it's the same thing!)
Good tip, thanks!
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Soarer

« Reply #414 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 15:23:26 »
New version which fixes a bug that stopped jump to bootloader functions working on AT90USB1286 (Teensy++ 2.0). Not quite sure why the ATmega32U4 (Teensy 2.0) wasn't affected - it would've been jumping into the middle of the bootloader instead of the beginning!!

Just the .hex files in this zip, you still need the v1.0 zip for the tools and docs.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51924[/ATTACH]

Offline Soarer

« Reply #415 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 17:20:31 »
Quote from: ed_avis;563473
With a Dell M6300 (BIOS rev A14) and Windows XP x64 SP2, and the converter driving a Model F terminal keyboard, you have to plug in the converter when the machine has already booted.  It does not work for hitting F2 to enter BIOS setup, for example.  Background thread

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?29425

This is using the latest stable version of the converter code.

Quote from: kishy;563521
Yeah, I've had troubles with a Dell Inspiron 630m doing the same thing. Presuming BIOS defect.

We can add Dell Latitude D800 to that list :-(

At least I have one to play with, so if I could just think of some things to test... :-D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Linux/Ubuntu 12.04 problem with Teensy
« Reply #416 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 21:43:23 »
I have installed 12.04 as a dual-boot with Windows 7, and the OS does not seem to recognize the Model F-122 keyboard anymore.

Can you suggest some way to wake it up? Do I need to download some sort of driver for the Teensy?

All was OK in 10.04

Thanks!
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Soarer

« Reply #417 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 07:18:31 »
Oh crap - what have they gone and done! :-(

No driver needed, it should be all there already, it's just HID. Apart from plugging it in after booting I can't think of any other way to wake it up.

One thing I noticed on the Dell is that some of it is still active - two devices show up in device manager. I haven't checked which yet, but it appeared to be the dummy keyboard and the hid_listen output (it connects, but no debug print gets to it). The lock LEDs still toggle. So maybe I've got something slightly out-of-spec which is upsetting both the Dell and Ubuntu 12.04.

So it would be helpful if you could try some tests...
1. see if hid_listen still connects
2. connect a keyboard with lock LEDs to the converter and see if they toggle (using another keyboard to press caps lock etc, obviously!)
3. see if v0.996 works, since that's the last one before the config interfaces were added

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #418 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 07:37:10 »
Also check if the USB on the other side of the Dell works.  I haven't been able to find references to it but I would have swore that one side provided less power, it might be enough to upset the teensy.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #419 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 08:07:16 »
Quote from: alaricljs;608452
Also check if the USB on the other side of the Dell works.  I haven't been able to find references to it but I would have swore that one side provided less power, it might be enough to upset the teensy.

FWIW, all of my tests on the 630m involved all 4 ports (which are on the same "side", right hand, two on the side and two on the back).

Not seeing any issues yet, again FWIW, with my Lenovo ThinkPad W520 via the dock or built in ports. Win7 Pro 64 bit.

The Dell Vostro 3750 that I owned for a brief time also had boot-up issues with Soarer's adapter - but only AFTER a BIOS update. The version that was on mine when it shipped worked fine, after an update it started killing the adapter on boot.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #420 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 08:10:56 »
My D820 and e6410 both have opposite side USB ports, I was under the impression that 6xx series were quite similar to the 8xx.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Soarer

« Reply #421 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 08:40:25 »
Actually, on the D800 (A11 BIOS) it seems to work OK from a cold boot, but not on restart :-/

Doesn't seem like a power issue, but I could try an external powered hub to be sure.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #422 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 11:12:04 »
Hmm... so on this Dell actually all devices are showing up. Strangely, the scinfo command manages to get info so the config pipes are (sort of*) working, and as I said, LED output seems fine too. But there is no input to hid_listen, even though it connects.

* USBlyzer reports the scinfo output request as successful, but not the input response. Even though scinfo gets and displays a response!

Offline Soarer

« Reply #423 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 13:38:48 »
I not sure that this D800 has the quite same problem as those other Dells. On this one, my converter only stopped working if I pressed F2 (or any key) before the BIOS had turned on the USB, or after it had turned it off and before Windows had turned it back on. (I think!). There is an A13 BIOS I could upgrade to and test.

I have managed to fix that bug though - the converter was getting stuck trying to wake up the PC when it was already awake. There's a couple of USB commands that I wasn't handling which enable and disable remote wakeup, so I've added handlers for them which fixed it. I've also reset a couple of internal state tracking flags when the USB connection is reset, as a precaution, since if they are wrong it could prevent any output from the converter.

Here's a new version with those fixes. I doubt it, but there is a slim chance it might fix the Dells and Ubuntu 12.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52483[/ATTACH]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #424 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 15:32:59 »
I don't know about anybody else's Ubuntu 12.04 problem, but mine was fixed immediately after I booted up using a (Dell) PS2 keyboard and then plugging in the F/Teensy "hot" to the USB port.

I had read about that from other people, but I never had to do it before, it had always worked for me right away.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Soarer

« Reply #425 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 15:48:33 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;609928
I don't know about anybody else's Ubuntu 12.04 problem, but mine was fixed immediately after I booted up using a (Dell) PS2 keyboard and then plugging in the F/Teensy "hot" to the USB port.

I had read about that from other people, but I never had to do it before, it had always worked for me right away.

Interesting... that actually makes it more similar to the Dell laptops' problem, in that something's going wrong during boot that can be worked-around by connecting the Teensy later. Or do you mean it now works through bootup, now that you've done that once?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #426 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 17:33:19 »
Yes, I think that it just had to recognize the USB device once, smooth sailing after that.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Soarer

« Reply #427 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 17:40:09 »
Ah good. Just these pesky Dells to deal with now then! :-D

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #428 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 19:07:28 »
Hey guys I need a little help with my teensy install.  I'm converting an XT to usb.  I want to wire the AT cable directly to the teensy and keep everything internally within the XT chasis.

I know I wire these 4 cables to GND, VCC, PF0 (clock), and PF1 (data).  But which wire colors correspond to those pins?
This is what I'm looking at when I open my XT.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2012, 19:14:46 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Soarer

« Reply #429 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 20:01:44 »
Brown = Vcc
Red = Ground
White = Data
Black = Clock

:-)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #430 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 21:31:17 »
Quote from: Soarer;616598
Brown = Vcc
Red = Ground
White = Data
Black = Clock

:-)

Thank you so much Soarer.  I was pulling my hair out and second guessing myself with these wire colors.  I would have soldered them all wrong.  I`m typing this up right now on my XT.  Thanks for the guide, your help, and the awesome coding!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Soarer

« Reply #431 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 06:53:56 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;616661
Thank you so much Soarer.  I was pulling my hair out and second guessing myself with these wire colors.  I would have soldered them all wrong.  I`m typing this up right now on my XT.  Thanks for the guide, your help, and the awesome coding!

Haha, yeah, IBM (and Cherry) sure did pick some unintuitive colours! Good to hear of another success :-)

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #432 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 13:13:59 »
Hi everyone. I'm also trying to convert XT to USB (IBM model F), but when I wire it like mentioned above I don't get any result (doesn't seem to connect at all) and the teensy gets really hot! Any idea's why this is happening? I've tried v0.996 and v1.0.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #433 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 14:36:57 »
Quote from: Paranoid;617116
Hi everyone. I'm also trying to convert XT to USB (IBM model F), but when I wire it like mentioned above I don't get any result (doesn't seem to connect at all) and the teensy gets really hot! Any idea's why this is happening? I've tried v0.996 and v1.0.

Ouch, that doesn't sound good at all - the Teensy shouldn't even be warm :-(

Where the wire colours on the same pins as in akimbo's pic?
Might you have (or had) a short circuit between any wires?
If you disconnect the teensy from the keyboard, does it still get hot?

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #434 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 14:46:55 »
The wire colours are in the same order as in the picture (brown-red-white-black) with the tip of the connector facing upwards.
Could be that when I was testing it at first some wire pins might have touched, but now I soldered the wires so a short circuit now shouldn't exist.
If I connect only the teensy it doesn't get hot and I can still program it.

Does it matter where you connect the VCC and GRND? Because there are connections at the USB port and on the other side of the teensy board.. (I've tried both btw after the teensy wouldn't do anything)

Offline Soarer

« Reply #435 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 16:21:46 »
Either Vcc and GND are fine. Hate to say it, but I think somehow the Teensy has died :-( There was someone else who had a short happen, a bit more dramatic... thread.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 June 2012, 16:30:59 by Soarer »

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #436 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 02:36:12 »
Damn that would suck! I also can connect it to my computer and run and load the LED blinking program like the guy in your link. But I did do something before, that you mentioned in that post, when I was trying to find the correct wires (and apparantly measured it wrong the first time):
"I don't know what dies (if anything) if you apply +5V and GND swapped over - and I'm not about to try it! " - So I did actually switch GRND and VCC..
Stupid that I can't test something else to see if it works! Is there any way PJRC has a return policy or would it mean that I have to buy another one? I can't seem to find anything on their website.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #437 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 07:44:09 »
Reversing Vcc and GND is more likely to damage the keyboard than the Teensy, and I'm not sure if it would explain why the Teensy gets hot. (The power comes straight from the USB port, so it doesn't pass through the chip).

You said measure... does that mean you have a multimeter?

A basic test for the Teensy would be to load my firmware (any version), and measure the voltage on the clock and data pins (with no keyboard connected) - they should show 5V, if not, the chip is damaged. Then connect both clock and data to ground - it shouldn't get hot, if it does the chip is damaged.

A basic test for the XT keyboard is similar, but first I'd measure the current the keyboard is taking when connected (just to power; leave the clock and data lines disconnected). It should be between 100mA and 125mA. Then measure the clock and data line voltages - clock should show 5V, and data should show 0V. Then I'd go back to measuring the current the keyboard is taking, and short the clock and data lines to GND - the current should increase, but only by a few mA. (If you can't read the current or aren't comfortable with that, then it's still worth testing the voltages on the clock and data lines).

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #438 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 13:16:45 »
Yes, I do have a multimeter :)

I did the test that you asked. Let me sum it up:
Basic test for teensy:
 - voltage on clock and data pins with no keyboard connected: both 5V
 - clock and data to ground: the teensy (or usb cable for that matter) does not get hot

Basic test for the keyboard:
 - Current of the keyboard (only with power): 0,024A = 24mA
 - Data and clock voltage: both 0V, power dropped to 0,8V
 - Current of the keyboard (clock and data to grnd): 0,097 - 0,1A = 100mA
 - Data and clock voltage: both 0,02V, power also 0,8V
In all these cases the teensy and cable get hot.

I would say that there is something wrong with the keyboard then?

Offline Soarer

« Reply #439 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 14:26:21 »
I dunno... something doesn't quite add up :-)

I don't see how the Teensy would get hot when just power and ground are connected to the keyboard, and the keyboard is only drawing 24mA!

And not sure how enough current is flowing (somewhere) that the cable can get hot, without the computer just switching off the port and giving a warning.

I'm reluctant to ask you to do too many tests, since it getting hot could damage something more!

So, I'll have to think for a while :-)

Just to check - I'm imagining measuring the current goes something like this:

4563-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 September 2012, 08:36:21 by Soarer »

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #440 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 15:16:15 »
yes that's exactly how I did the current measurement. Maybe there's something wrong with the circuit board on the keyboard.
I'll see tomorrow evening if I can connect the teensy to another keyboard (with XT or AT) that doesn't work through a passive converter. If that works I'll probably know more.
Thanks for the help so far!

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #441 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 01:03:30 »
You could double check the wire config by using a multimeter and testing for continuity between the known XT pin-outs and the contacts on the internal connector.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #442 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 02:07:02 »
Hi Revenge,
I checked that in the beginning. The VCC, ground and data were correct, only the clock was on pin 3 instead of pin 1. Don't really know if that's a bad thing.
But I connected the teensy either directly on the circuit board pins or through the cut wires of the connector.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #443 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 06:30:15 »
Quote from: Paranoid;618482
The VCC, ground and data were correct, only the clock was on pin 3 instead of pin 1. Don't really know if that's a bad thing.

I think that means you were reading the pinout diagram backwards - it's drawn looking looking into a socket, so you need to mirror it when looking into a plug.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #444 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 07:15:04 »
hehe, that would explain why I got the grnd and vcc wrong the first try ^^ the pins and wires are correct then.

*update: so I hooked up my Cherry G80-0779H (that doesn't work through a passive converter) to the teensy and it works! With v0.996 it wouldn't work (just tried it real quick), but with v1.0 it does work :)
So the teensy isn't broken hooray!

Less hooray is that there is something wrong with the model F.. any clues as what could cause this?
There doesn't seem to be anything slighty burned on the circuit board. Although that doesn't really tell us anything. (the white stuff is from the sticky thing that's covering the board)
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53572[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53573[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53574[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53575[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53576[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53577[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 June 2012, 12:44:55 by Paranoid »

Offline Soarer

« Reply #445 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 15:34:06 »
Sorry, I missed the update :-)

I'm still puzzled why the teensy and cable get hot, with the keyboard apparently only taking 24mA of current... that doesn't make any sense!

If it wasn't for that, I would agree that the keyboard has been damaged.

Offline Parak

« Reply #446 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 22:26:54 »
For my second F122 refurbishment, I took some of these that I had lying around and four pin headers with the posts removed bent slightly at the end:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53798[/ATTACH]

Apply shrinkwrap:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53799[/ATTACH]

Now that I think about it, this would have been better if I soldered the pins from the back instead. Oh well.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #447 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 23:06:59 »
That's pretty neat :-)

Put the pins on the back you mean? But then you'd have bits sticking out on both sides!

Offline Parak

« Reply #448 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 00:47:44 »
It would have looked a bit neater as the d0/d1 pins could have been flush, but then I guess there also would have been a slight worry with the teensy being all covered up by the heatshrink and the button being possibly permapressed..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #449 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 14:45:16 »
I am probably just dense or incompetent, but here are 2 questions:

1. How to I get to the original article and instructions? I can get this thread, but not the article itself. I want to re-read the instructions from the beginning.

2. Can multiple Teensies be run simultaneously?

I have an F-122 with internal Teensy that I cut, wired, and installed last year, and have been running flawlessly since, including surviving a format and upgrade from XP to 7 with no additional work on my part (Wow!).

Now I have a new keyboard Teensy which I want to install in an outboard box with a socket to accept original cables. I would also like to upgrade to the latest firmware/software "just because" it seems to make sense.

First, if 2 Teensies are plugged in via USB, will my computer be confused? Should I use a conventional keyboard while setting up the new Teensy?

Second, what is involved in upgrading from 0.997 or whatever to 1.02?

Thanks!
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28