Author Topic: Commodore keyboards  (Read 5024 times)

Offline domin8r

Commodore keyboards
« on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 18:56:57 »
Hi,

was hoping someone has more info on these Commodore keyboards :

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Commodore-PC-serial-QWERTY-keyboard-/400200664601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_146&hash=item5d2dd18619

http://link.marktplaats.nl/454790800

They seem quite hard to google!

Anyone?
Compaq MX-11800, Ergo Clear/Brown/Ghetto Red
Ducky 1087XM
Laser SX-25 , White SMK
Black Dell AT101W
IBM Model M 1390120 (\'86)
Cherry G80-1000, Panda Clears

Offline ronwoch

Commodore keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 22:29:26 »
Dunno about the speakered one, however, if my poor memory serves, the other looks like the one that came with my commodore 128D.

Offline mr_a500

Commodore keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 July 2011, 12:12:14 »
The top one looks like the Commodore PC keyboard (sold with PC-10 to PC-40):

It feels like rubber dome, but I popped a key to check. (it was on there so tight, I thought I'd break it)

Surprisingly, it's Mitsumi, just like most Commodore & Amiga keyboards. But the Commodore & Amiga keyboards don't feel as lousy as this keyboard does. This has to be the worst Commodore keyboard I've ever tried. I wonder why. The construction might be different. It looks like a pain in the ass to completely disassemble it, but I briefly opened it.

Yep, it's Mitsumi. The backplate is curved unlike the Amiga keyboards.

It really does feel like a lousy rubber dome keyboard. I suggest anybody considering buying this keyboard not to get it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2011, 12:16:00 by mr_a500 »

Offline hemflit

Commodore keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 July 2011, 15:33:26 »
Yep, no Commodore 128D keyboards in those links. You'd easily recognize those by them being one key wider than what passes for a normal keyboard today.
(That is, if you miss the Commodore-logo key, the PET-graphics printed on the fronts of caps, the inline placing of cursor arrows, the F-keys bunched up in the top right corner... Oh misspent youth.)

I'm mildly curious about the marktplaats one - if it's some obscure Commodore proper product, or just something made by one of those gaming-PC companies that have rights to the Commodore name today.

Offline ronwoch

Commodore keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 July 2011, 23:44:56 »
Ahhhh, well, I stand corrected, and apologize for my misleading suppositions. it was over half a lifetime ago that I last saw my poor 128D so my recollection is terrible. Anyway, glad someone who actually knows what they are talking about was able to set it straight.

Offline Maryharper

Commodore keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 05:29:15 »
Hi,
  I purchased this Commodore 64 on eBay, and functionally it is in great condition. However, the casing seems to be slightly discolored (it seems darker than others). Is this just my perception, or are all C64's like this? If not, how can I clean it properly?

Offline Clickey

Commodore keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 09:48:20 »
Quote from: Maryharper;385203
Hi,
  I purchased this Commodore 64 on eBay, and functionally it is in great condition. However, the casing seems to be slightly discolored (it seems darker than others). Is this just my perception, or are all C64's like this? If not, how can I clean it properly?

Ripster has a guide on removing yellowing

Here: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:9099
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline adrk

Re: Commodore keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 08:24:05 »
Soooo.. I've found this keyboard in the street a few weeks ago. After reading this tread, I've bought an AT->PS/2 adapter to use it and.. I type this post with it, it's REALLY comfortable but there's some keys that aren't working (left and low arrows, numpad enter).
Is there a way to fix it ?

:thumb: