Author Topic: QWERTY to Colemak via hardware. USB key or built in hardware/firmware?  (Read 15423 times)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
QWERTY to Colemak via hardware. USB key or built in hardware/firmware?
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 17:54:43 »
Anyone follows the discussion in "Open Source" Generic keyboard controller thread?
It must be related to this subject, I have not read completely though.

How about recycle of this thread?
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:7260&highlight=open+source+firmware
⚠ My Engrish is broken.    tmk keyboard firmware project(ADB,PS/2,X68K,PC98,M0110,HHKB,GH60)

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 21:26:40 »
Edit: There seems to only be one discussion forum for an entire WIKI article with multiple topics.  Does that mean that people will be potentially communicating on more than one subject in the discussion forum from a USB to USB layout converter to a universal DIY keyboard controller?  If that is the case, my personal opinion is it would be better to have one discussion forum per topic, thereby concentrating everyone's focus on the task at hand rather than possibly derailing with another topic.  Is this possible with a wiki article?  Regardless, there is a trade off on both scenario's from keeping everything in one location to everyone saying on topic so the question is, what is more important I suppose?

Perhaps Paul Stoffregen from PJRC.com (The manu. of teensy) would be interested in helping with development?  

"Paul's email is paul@pjrc.com. Technical questions should go to Paul. All sorts of technical questions are ok, but please try to be specific and include enough detail about your setup. If you have a PJRC product, be sure to specify exactly which one and what revision it is. If you've built your own hardware, Paul will have an easier time and be able to help much more if you include technical information such as a schematic and source code. Paul also edits most of the HTML and CGI that runs the website, so if some part of the site isn't working or has an error, it's best to email Paul about it."
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 August 2011, 23:48:16 by bluecar5556 »
Split Kinesis Contour Classic (Advantage) Keyboard - 2 VGA mod

Items selling: Cherry MX (Black) mechanical switches.
Items wanted: IBM KPD-8923 trackpoint IV keyboard, an "ANY" key cap that fits Cherry MX switches.

Online Input Nirvana

• * Bard of Virtue and Vice
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 21:44:17 »
Been doing some snooping on the site for some custom made keyboards, controllers, code, etc. I took another look at Dox's project with the teensy and the code he used and modified, the Symetric Stagger keyboard and a couple others. Is there anything that is existing or can be modified from these projects that will suit our needs, or is the foundation too different?
Kinesis Advantage | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Alphagrip | Colemak | all on Mac
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell               Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Staying in touch with Tapatalk Pro                                Thanks much, Smallfry
I AM THE REAPER...BECAUSE I KILL IT

Offline Freyth

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 01:24:37 »
How about 3 inputs: USB, PS/2, AT all-in-one with the output a USB?

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 23:57:37 »
Isn't PS/2 and AT exactly the same, just a smaller connector?  I unknowingly bought my kinesis off eBay with a AT connector then right after unboxing it for the first time, I could have pulled out a pistol and started shooting it senseless as if it were threatening my life.  That thing is HUGE!  Wow, talk about being caught off guard!  Luckily, they terminate up to a PS/2 connector just fine.  

How about we keep it simple until some magic happens?
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 August 2011, 00:55:32 by bluecar5556 »
Split Kinesis Contour Classic (Advantage) Keyboard - 2 VGA mod

Items selling: Cherry MX (Black) mechanical switches.
Items wanted: IBM KPD-8923 trackpoint IV keyboard, an "ANY" key cap that fits Cherry MX switches.

Online Input Nirvana

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 00:04:57 »
I don't see the point in an AT connector, it will only make the unit needlessly bigger. But since there is no electrical difference, it's something that could be popped on no sweat. It doesn't need to be engineered into the design.

Gotta name this project and start the wiki page.
Kinesis Advantage | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Alphagrip | Colemak | all on Mac
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell               Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Staying in touch with Tapatalk Pro                                Thanks much, Smallfry

Offline sordna

Kinesis Contoured Advantage LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Contoured Model 110, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, KBC Poker (Cherry MX Red), IBM Space Saving keyboard (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Online Input Nirvana

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 17 August 2011, 15:08:21 »
Yes, it's time to bring in another motivated and talented body. Need to make the wiki page...a good title from anybody, or at least debate one?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 01:18:49 »
Just to let people know, I may be able to enlist some ECE and CS students to actually implement this idea. I'll keep folks posted.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Online Input Nirvana

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 10:57:20 »
A-HA!

Life just keeps getting better. I can send a controller board to you as a reference point (sometimes it's helpful, sometimes it just creates limitations to free thinking).

I'm going to do some zen this weekend and come up with a title so this can be made into a wiki, and then pm the people that have shown an interest or done similar work to revive and work out a goal list.

Offline bjeanes

« Reply #100 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 13:47:23 »
Has anybody considered using one of the Vinculum II based devices?

There's a few complete programmable boards as well as chips that can be used in combination with other hardware. I bought the Vinco about 7 months ago to make a Colemak-QWERTY converter dongle but got sidetracked with moving overseas and never completed it.

It's great to see a lot of other people motivated and interested to see the same product come to life.

Is there any reason something like the Vinco has been ruled out as an option? It's a bit steeper in price, but it has USB Host and Device capabilities, including HID support built into the on-board OS.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 08:27:23 »
Quote from: bjeanes;415004
Has anybody considered using one of the Vinculum II based devices?

Didn't know about them!

They look ideal, and the price is far more reasonable than I was expecting for something with those features.

Offline bjeanes

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 14:41:14 »
Quote from: Soarer;417620
Didn't know about them!

They look ideal, and the price is far more reasonable than I was expecting for something with those features.

Yeah they are pretty great. Anyone here in Chicago and want to work together on getting this thing working? I have one of these boards but too little experience even with things like an Arduino to really know how to get going... I have mostly just been reading through their C API docs.

- Bo

Offline lenakira

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 28 December 2011, 17:56:24 »
-Removed-

Offline mas128

Re: QWERTY to Colemak via hardware. USB key or built in hardware/firmware?
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:50:17 »
Has anyone found a working solution to this yet?
(A QIDO for Colemak input: USB key to change keyboard layout to Colemak, and then back to Qwerty).

Thanks a lot for any help!

Online Input Nirvana

Re: QWERTY to Colemak via hardware. USB key or built in hardware/firmware?
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 06 April 2013, 01:22:44 »
Seems like there has been some progress on several fronts, but it's been somewhat off the radar.