Author Topic: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) - Last Updated 4/11/12  (Read 16600 times)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) - Last Updated 4/11/12
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:21:58 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;390785
It's possible, but the extra setup time would be expensive. I think we'd have to charge about $25 to make it worthwhile. If everyone thinks the price is fair, then I'll eventually add this option into the Custom Keyboard Designer.
If that's for a full set I know I would be interested, this is one of three things I'm looking forward to from you guys
Keyboardless

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 17:08:27 »
Sorry for the confusion. It would be $25 more than the regular set ($49.99 normally for engraved keys). So that would make it $74.99 if you want both the top and front engraved. I would expect this price to be a little expensive, but that's the best I can do with the amount of extra labor involved.
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 17:12:57 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;391191
Sorry for the confusion. It would be $25 more than the regular set ($49.99 normally for engraved keys). So that would make it $74.99 if you want both the top and front engraved. I would expect this price to be a little expensive, but that's the best I can do with the amount of extra labor involved.
whats about if i just wanted the front nothing on top.

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 23:06:36 »
Then that would be the same price. The extra $25 would be if you want front AND top. But if you only want one side, the same price will work.

But first, let me try some sample pieces to make sure I can easily get it to work.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 05:01:10 »
any chance you will offer laser engraving on just a few keys? for instance if i decided I didn't like my esc key and all the keys on my number pad, will there be an option to order just those select custom keys?
Check out my sales thread.

Phantom w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 86U Variable
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 15:26:49 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;391488
any chance you will offer laser engraving on just a few keys? for instance if i decided I didn't like my esc key and all the keys on my number pad, will there be an option to order just those select custom keys?

I have some requests to do individual keys, but the pricing would be somewhere along the lines of $25/setup and $1.00 per key. I suppose the same could be applied here. Of course, there isn't any way to do this on the website right now. It'd have to be through email for now. You can send me either art or reference a keyboard design URL.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 20:36:10 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;391773
I have some requests to do individual keys, but the pricing would be somewhere along the lines of $25/setup and $1.00 per key. I suppose the same could be applied here. Of course, there isn't any way to do this on the website right now. It'd have to be through email for now. You can send me either art or reference a keyboard design URL.

$25 setup basically makes that a non-option. If i just wanted the numberpad keys in a different font that would be like $35+ Might as well just go with a full 104 set and get spares.
Check out my sales thread.

Phantom w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 86U Variable
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline nrd

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 22:36:10 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;391773
Hmm, how about additional keys? I thought about ordering just the caps and put them on my 105 key keyboard, but if I'd do that, I'd have to add a couple of blanks to fill in the gaps and that would kind of defeat the purpose of custom keycaps... So would it be possible to order a full set + a few additional engraved keys without an additional fee?

And (I know I'm getting on your nerves already, but I really want some of your caps :P) are there any news on the issues with using special characters in the Keyboard Designer?

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 13:59:38 »
Quote from: nrd;392005
Hmm, how about additional keys? I thought about ordering just the caps and put them on my 105 key keyboard, but if I'd do that, I'd have to add a couple of blanks to fill in the gaps and that would kind of defeat the purpose of custom keycaps... So would it be possible to order a full set + a few additional engraved keys without an additional fee?

If you order the keycaps with your order, send me an email with what you want on the keys and I'll engrave them as well.

Quote from: nrd;392005
And (I know I'm getting on your nerves already, but I really want some of your caps :P) are there any news on the issues with using special characters in the Keyboard Designer?

Developer hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Offline nrd

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 15:41:25 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;392377
If you order the keycaps with your order, send me an email with what you want on the keys and I'll engrave them as well.
Wonderful, love your customer service :)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 09:35:27 »
Please let us know when you get the front face engraving sorted out, I'll be placing my order then
Keyboardless

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 14:53:28 »
Quote from: tsangan;392841
Please let us know when you get the front face engraving sorted out, I'll be placing my order then

It's going to be a little while. I need to make a new jig to hold all the keys in place. If I just stand them up in my laser they get blown over when I turn on the fume extractor.

Offline WasabiJ

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 12:57:05 »
I kinda chuckled thinking about a museum of "oops" keys, where there's keys that were moved under the laser or maybe it was turned up too high and burned holes through them.

Offline N8N

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 13:30:23 »
Quote from: WasabiJ;394715
I kinda chuckled thinking about a museum of "oops" keys, where there's keys that were moved under the laser or maybe it was turned up too high and burned holes through them.

actually, if you had a mold, you could pour white epoxy into them and have doubleshots :)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Hak Foo

• The Hero Never Dies
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 22:31:45 »
Have you considered gift vouchers-- "I'd love a custom for (holiday), but explaining my needs in detail to (family member/friend)..."
Home: 1008XM, Matias, mostly dyesubs, Qazpad , Blues, DSA
Work: 1008, Blues, CCnG
Spare: Quickfire XT, Greens, Retro DSA

Offline N8N

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 15 October 2011, 12:00:52 »
Rather than not getting the space bar, why not order a couple extra blank keys to cut up for the posts, to make the WASD space bar fit the Leopold?  Personally I like my stuff to match so not being able to use the WASD space bar would bother me.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 15 October 2011, 12:36:32 »
I can mod the spacebar if needed. I already had a jig made up because I had to mod a spacebar for my SteelSeries 7G.

Also i dont think you will get any discount by not including the spacebar as their $1 and if probably wouldnt impact shipping by not including it.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 17:37:12 »
Whats best to lube stabilizers and where can I pick it up?

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 20:57:29 »
I was just using white lithium grease that you can pick up for about $5 at Home Depot for an 8oz tube. Currently, I'm experimenting with some higher grade grease thickened with calcium sulfonate that is supposed to better longevity than lithium thickened grease. It also has teflon in it, so it's also better for coating plastic parts. I am also contemplating putting this stuff in a small syringe (like thermal pastes for CPUs) and offering that as well. But realistically, I'd have to charge about $3-$4 a pop for a very small amount (good for 2-3 keyboards) to cover the costs of the syringe, time to fill it, and profit to make it worthwhile doing.

I think overall it'd be a good convenience, but very pricey as you are paying much more by volume, but you get enough for its intended purpose and still costs less than buying a giant tube that will sit in your garage for the next 20 years.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 04:11:05 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;435746
I was just using white lithium grease that you can pick up for about $5 at Home Depot for an 8oz tube. Currently, I'm experimenting with some higher grade grease thickened with calcium sulfonate that is supposed to better longevity than lithium thickened grease. It also has teflon in it, so it's also better for coating plastic parts. I am also contemplating putting this stuff in a small syringe (like thermal pastes for CPUs) and offering that as well. But realistically, I'd have to charge about $3-$4 a pop for a very small amount (good for 2-3 keyboards) to cover the costs of the syringe, time to fill it, and profit to make it worthwhile doing.

I think overall it'd be a good convenience, but very pricey as you are paying much more by volume, but you get enough for its intended purpose and still costs less than buying a giant tube that will sit in your garage for the next 20 years.
yea it would be great if you could put that up great for people who like to mod and/or take care of their keyboards.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 23:03:14 »
just picked up white lithium grease, and man did I get a lot for $3.

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 23:06:28 »
Might as well make use of it and go grease every hinge if your house and car.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 23:07:59 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;438613
lol. could this be used to greese the inside of the switch as well and is there a way to grease the inside without taking the switch apart.

Offline dorkvader

• * Moderator Supreme
  • ipse se nihil scire id unum sciat
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 00:15:52 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;438613

Just saw how much $3 will get you. Looks like it's time to buy some and grease the doors, car, neighbour's car, bike chain, spare bike, computer case, altoids tins, and bottle opener.
"Curiosity ... strikes me as being one of the most genuine of emotions."

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 00:19:19 »
Quote from: dorkvader;438655
Just saw how much $3 will get you. Looks like it's time to buy some and grease the doors, car, neighbour's car, bike chain, spare bike, computer case, altoids tins, and bottle opener.
lol yea I would ship someone one of my tubes but it wouldnt be worth it...

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 01:25:35 »
Do you lube the inside of the switches? I was wondering what would be a good lube for that. The white lithium grease might work but I think that I would have to take the keys apart to get it in there which I dont want to do on a brand new keyboard.

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 17:12:08 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;438700
Do you lube the inside of the switches? I was wondering what would be a good lube for that. The white lithium grease might work but I think that I would have to take the keys apart to get it in there which I dont want to do on a brand new keyboard.

No, there is already grease inside from Cherry. I don't know what they used, but when you take it apart, you can feel the grease on the parts inside. You shouldn't need to grease it at all unless you had to clean it for some reason.

Offline jpc

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 17:35:07 »
I used WD-40 on some sticky cherry browns several weeks ago. The board has been used daily since without any trouble.

The advantage is, you don't need to open the switch. Just depress the stem a bit and shoot into the gap. It's worked well enough so I'd do it again.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 19:53:44 »
Quote from: jpc;439211
I used WD-40 on some sticky cherry browns several weeks ago. The board has been used daily since without any trouble.

The advantage is, you don't need to open the switch. Just depress the stem a bit and shoot into the gap. It's worked well enough so I'd do it again.
I think ripster says not to use WD-40 http://tinyurl.com/3hvz3hm

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 00:19:00 »
I ended up lubing the stabilizers on all my board with the White Lithium grease feels much nicer. I also picked up a few DeoxIT products to lube the switches, D5, F5, F100. F100 is the ideal thing to use (besides opening up each switch and applying DeoxIT FaderGrease) and will work on any switch that doesnt have the slider that makes a click. For the switches that do have the slider F100 is too thick and doesnt allow the switch to click. F5 works fine and took the scratchiness out of my Rosewill Blues but the click is slightly less pronounced. I used F100 on my Rosewill reds which went from slightly scratchy to buttery smooth.

as stated previously I am lubing the stabilizers with White Lithium Grease but I did notice that CAIG makes some DeoxIT Grease in both Mineral and Lithium variates (pdf of full DeoxIT line). Which of the available greases would be better? I believe WASD mentioned mineral grease having more longevity.