Author Topic: O-Ring Rubber Switch Dampeners now available  (Read 18749 times)

Offline wasdkeyboards

O-Ring Rubber Switch Dampeners now available
« on: Wed, 10 August 2011, 11:12:21 »
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories-2/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

We now stock the popular O-ring switch mod as mentioned here: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:20265&highlight=o-ring

Thanks to Sordna for suggesting this item.

Price is $13.00 and comes in a 110 pack.

Also available pre-installed for both the Semi and Full Custom V1 Keyboard.
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Offline sordna

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 14:09:01 »
Hi, nice to see you offering this as an option!
I'm reading though that they reduce key travel by 1.6mm, which is wrong.
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories-2/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

Think about it, this suggests that you would bottom out almost exactly at the actuation point (2mm), which is not true. It would feel horrible if key travel was basically halved.
I'm estimating that the key travel is reduced by 0.5 mm (1/50") at most, and probably even less. You can probably measure it better than I can, please do so and update the info, so you don't scare folks away from this great option!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Contoured Model 110, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, KBC Poker (Cherry MX Red), IBM Space Saving keyboard (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 18:43:51 »
I was using the thickness at first, but that isn't correct. I tried to measure it, but it's so small that I don't have a accurate way to measure it. I'm just going to say it "very slightly" reduces the key travel. Thanks again.

Offline Input Nirvana

• If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 13:02:26 »
A big hats off for being so responsive and offering this option. And the pricing is good.

I have the O-rings on red and brown switches, I agree with sordna, the cushioning stop is well past the actuation point, and I often do not bottom out even with the O-rings, so the amount they reduce travel must be very slight.
Kinesis Advantage | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Alphagrip | Colemak | all on Mac
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell
Thanks much, Smallfry

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 17:48:42 »
could you possible do like a 120 pack because if you have cherry stabilizers you can also put then on the stabilizer which ends up being 118 (for US layout). i dont know what that would end up being on a ISO JPN layout though should be more keys but less with stabilizers.

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 15:33:32 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;398405
could you possible do like a 120 pack because if you have cherry stabilizers you can also put then on the stabilizer which ends up being 118 (for US layout). i dont know what that would end up being on a ISO JPN layout though should be more keys but less with stabilizers.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll make adjustments.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 23:58:43 »
thanks for the change its more compatible to everyone now.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 09:43:30 »
Great addition! :)
"Rubber domes... They are for the proletariat!"
    >>> Join me at: irc://irc.rizon.net/#Techtalk <<<

Offline sordna

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 17:54:34 »
Hi,
since you are probably ordering o-rings in bulk, I would like to suggest that in the future, instead of these black o-rings, you switch to red silicon o-rings from oringsusa.com. Their part number is: -008 S40
They sell them for 10c a piece (for a minimum order of 250 pieces) but for a large order they will do a better price. You have to call them up though, they don't show them in their online store.

These red o-rings are slightly softer (40A durometer) than your current o-rings and have the advantage of being easier to install (they can be rolled over the stem) and easier to locate if you drop them on a black keyboard.

I usually recommend the black ones to folks buying just 1 set, but if you are buying in bulk and don't mind the minimum order amount, the red ones are a bit better.

EDIT: I put more info and pics of the red o-rings, along with contact info for oringsusa.com here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 September 2011, 10:17:15 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Contoured Model 110, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, KBC Poker (Cherry MX Red), IBM Space Saving keyboard (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 14:07:17 »
Quote from: sordna;413023
Hi,
since you are probably ordering o-rings in bulk, I would like to suggest that in the future, instead of these black o-rings, you switch to red silicon o-rings from oringsusa.com. Their part number is: -008 S40
They sell them for 10c a piece (for a minimum order of 250 pieces) but for a large order they will do a better price. You have to call them up though, they don't show them in their online store.

These red o-rings are slightly softer (40A durometer) than your current o-rings and have the advantage of being easier to install (they can be rolled over the stem) and easier to locate if you drop them on a black keyboard.

I usually recommend the black ones to folks buying just 1 set, but if you are buying in bulk and don't mind the minimum order amount, the red ones are a bit better.

EDIT: I put more info and pics of the red o-rings, along with contact info for oringsusa.com here.

I sent them an email for pricing and let's see what we can come up with. Thanks!

Offline sordna

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 21:34:29 »
any update an the softer silicon or-rings?

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 00:31:50 »
I got pricing already. I can get the same price, but would need to order twice as much as the 40A Nitrile ones. Also, there's a 4 week lead time. I had to make a pretty large purchase recently for a new laser, so I had to hold off on the O-rings just to preserve some cash at the moment. I should be able to place an order for them within the next 2-3 weeks.

Offline enoy21

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 07:13:53 »
While I don't use these and won't know if I plan to use them .... I love that WASD is responding so quickly and offering what customers request....   I can see WASD becoming a VERY common and sought after board in the near future.  I can't wait until mine arrives. I truly hope that with increased demand the quality and attention to detail does not suffer going forward.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline dux

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 07:30:12 »
I just wanted to say that I got the rings to Germany, with very decent shipping price, and  that they work flawlessly.

Offline Khenra

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 18:03:34 »
I recieved these as a part of my order today, and they go great with my Cherry MX Brown switches. I can recommend these to anyone. It is an inexpensive mod and you may just like them very much!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 19:28:24 »
Yup, received those along with other items a few days ago...  haven't had time to put them on yet.  The shipping was plenty fast with good packaging.  You guys rock!  Now just need to add some tenkeyless models to your lineup. lol =D

][/URL]

Offline enoy21

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 09:04:19 »
Yeah I haven't even gotten my blues yet , but I'm already wanting some browns for different situations.   When I buy the browns sometime next year I imagine I will want to get them in a TKL.    Hopefully WASD offers them and is still up to the same standards after growing substantially.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline Mr.Zergling

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 22:49:06 »
These fit my leo well, I like how well they dampen the sound from bottoming out

Offline duncan

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 13:31:49 »
Just another happy customer story.

Great item price and **very** reasonable shipping (why getting things sent from the USA is often insanely expensive is one of life's mysteries).

Highly recommended for anyone around the world to look at WASD for these items as they seem to know how to post things at prices that look like the rest of the civilised world instead of the insane costs that so many US firms charge (I always assumed the other firms are passing along insane prices from the USPS and other delivery services but WASD's prices are sane so I wonder about what the others are doing wrong??).

Have modded all my Cherry boards with WASD o-rings and the dampening of noise and feel is substantial and worth the small cost and the loss of a bit of crispness IMO.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 20:40:55 »
Quote from: duncan;420863
Just another happy customer story.

Great item price and **very** reasonable shipping (why getting things sent from the USA is often insanely expensive is one of life's mysteries).

Highly recommended for anyone around the world to look at WASD for these items as they seem to know how to post things at prices that look like the rest of the civilised world instead of the insane costs that so many US firms charge (I always assumed the other firms are passing along insane prices from the USPS and other delivery services but WASD's prices are sane so I wonder about what the others are doing wrong??).

Have modded all my Cherry boards with WASD o-rings and the dampening of noise and feel is substantial and worth the small cost and the loss of a bit of crispness IMO.

Well, anything over a few pounds starts going into the $20+ range for shipping. Also, the cheaper USPS First Class Intl method is not trackable and cannot be insured. So if I was sending CPU's for example, they are light, but I wouldn't offer this shipping method. That'd be just asking for it :)

Offline enoy21

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 21:59:12 »
I haven't even gotten my board yet ( scheduled for Monday ) , but based on other reviewers and product lists, I've been recommending them on other forums.   I feel like I'm in on early access to a future big name in gaming.  WASD is a great name for a gaming support company , the quality is that of the higher end ( based on other reviews )

Reminds me of getting my first Gmail account in '04 when it was still invite only.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 13:56:53 »
Just received my rubber O-Rings and replaced my EK Firm Pads. The O-Rings are much nicer, their stiffer and dont reduce key travel. They also stay on the key and placement isnt a problem unlike the pads which can get jammed making key presses mushy and reducing key travel.

Cant wait for the red o-rings as they should be even better.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 12:00:14 »
Any news on those red O-Rings ? they just sound cooler. lol
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 12:04:54 »
Quote from: curro123083;426390
Any news on those red O-Rings ? they just sound cooler. lol
not going to happen just yet at least http://tinyurl.com/42p54vw

Offline ZeroGraVT

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 12:09:56 »
You can probably get one at an R/C hobby shop.  They use O-rings for a lot of stuff mainly shock absorbers.

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 13:01:57 »
New O-rings are in production and should arrive in about a month.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 13:14:05 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;426417
New O-rings are in production and should arrive in about a month.
O nice what did you end up deciding on?

Offline sordna

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 13:54:49 »
Yes, please let us know the material/specs/color of the new o-rings!

Offline wasdkeyboards

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 16:19:09 »
After doing some research, the new O-rings will be EPDM (ethylene propylene). The size is the same as the current O-rings. There will be two hardness levels available: 40A and 50A. The 40A will come in Red and the 50A will be in black.

Overall, EPDM is a better material with tougher tear resistance and longer lifespan. Currently, the O-rings are made are nitrile which are still pretty good, but I figured why not use the best?

Downside is slightly higher cost and weak resistance to petroleum based grease. We use lithium grease here so we have to be careful not to get the grease on the O-rings as it can cause the O-rings to break down. So do take care with this if you ever need to re-grease your keys or use a silicone based grease instead.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 16:22:50 »
Sounds great! Thanks!

Sent from my Photon 4G
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green

Visit the Typing Test and try!