Author Topic: Tolerance of Topre Switches?  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Index

Tolerance of Topre Switches?
« on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 03:21:42 »
So, I've noticed that some keys on the left side were "lighter" than some keys on the right on my HHKB Pro 2 (which I recently got and love for work). I first noticed the difference on the 'q' and 'fn' keys ('fn' key felt "lighter than the 'q' key). I was thinking that I was just being crazy. So, I thought I would do the nickel test on the 'q' and 'fn' keys to confirm whether I was crazy or not. So, after repeating this test multiple times, I found that the 'q' key requires about 10-11 nickels to be fully depressed and the 'fn' key requires 8-9 nickels to be fully depressed. I also found out that the nickel is about 5 grams. So, from my nickel tests, 'q' requires 50-55g and 'fn' requires 40-45g.

Is a 5-15g difference between topre switches that are supposed to be uniformly 45g weighted normal?
Gaming Keyboard: Leopold FC200RT/ABN
Work Keyboard: HHKB Pro 2 PD-KB400B

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 03:27:28 »
I noticed some alignement issue, but I think this is more related to the keycaps than the actual switch
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 04:57:36 »
Yes, it is stated in the manual that the switches are 45+-15g

it is quite large, 33%. thats about the highest scale I have ever heard for manufactured things. I also feel that some keys on my topre are heavier than others.

Offline Multiple

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 04:58:58 »
Topres tolerances are +/-15g.

I don't see how anyone could accept a difference of 30g between two keys though, that would be nuts.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 August 2011, 05:04:49 by Multiple »

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 05:01:19 »
I'm a bit disappointed about this too. Usually, for a manufacturer of that price class it is uncommon to have such large tolerances.

Offline Multiple

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 05:07:00 »
Just don't accept it and return it!

I did when it happened to me and it was not a problem, doubt any serious reseller would refuse.

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 05:12:53 »
yea what I usually get when I do that is just another faulty product.. and I don't really have the time to mess with international delivery

Offline Multiple

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 06:03:02 »
The dealer could have a courier come by and pick it up for you and pay all expenses, it's not unreasonable.

I think it's worth the trouble because otherwise you'll be stuck with a faulty keyboard

Offline Index

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 10:47:13 »
Eh, I don't really mind the difference between the keys. I do think it's stupid that you pay so much for uniformed weighted topre switches, and yet they're not uniformly weighted. I didn't have this problem with cherry switches at all.

Thinking about how much I spent on this keyboard, maybe I should RMA it. =/

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 10:50:22 »
Quote from: Index;397012
Eh, I don't really mind the difference between the keys. I do think it's stupid that you pay so much for uniformed weighted topre switches, and yet they're not uniformly weighted. I didn't have this problem with cherry switches at all.

Thinking about how much I spent on this keyboard, maybe I should RMA it. =/

exactly what I'm thinking. Another board will always have some different weighted keys here and there, choosing the right one and rmaing it OVER AND OVER is really too much effort for me. Maybe I'll buy another filco blue instead.

I mean, its still not a bad keyboard. Hardly noticeable. The cherry boards have different problems and I like the overall realforce experience.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 11:44:29 »
Most switches out there have pretty hefty tolerances on their force rating. I'm not sure if this is really a failing of the Topre mechanism in particular.

Offline duotheone

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 11:55:29 »
i like the dude who returned his hhkb for > 1 degree alignment

Offline RiGS

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 11:58:03 »
The arrow keys feel a little lighter on my 55g Realforce, but actually I prefer them this way.
The 55g Esc on my variable felt a lot stiffer than these uniform 55g keys.
This is the reason why I hesitated so much buying this boy.
Overall I'm glad I bought it. After getting used to the 60g activation force on the cherry blacks, I would say the tope 55g is the perfect keyboard for me.
Also the tenkeyless case is a lot more firm than the full size one, and the curved bottom corners are more aesthetically pleasing.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Index

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 12:34:40 »
Wait there's a lot of RMA's to Elitekeyboards? I don't think im going to RMA it since the tolerances for the topre switches are +/- 15g. Also, b/c I use this keyboard every weekday at work.

Offline magictoaster

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 13:00:16 »
Quote from: ripster;397096
Good call.

Indeed! We must be one RMA away from a new price increase... :tongue1:

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 16:27:47 »
They don't have to take it back, because it is written in the specifications.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 17:08:12 »
Take it easy!
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011