Author Topic: Filco space key ghosting issue  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Khenra

Filco space key ghosting issue
« on: Sat, 03 September 2011, 06:45:09 »
Dear GeekHack community,

I've recently bought a Filo Majestouch-2 TenKeyless with Brown switches at keyboardco.com. As my first mechanical keyboard, I'm very happy with it. Typing feels amazing on this keyboard.

However, there's one extremely annoying issue: sometimes when I'm typing, a white space is randomly added even when I didn't press the space bar. So the space bar key is being activated without being pressed. I have not been able to consistently reproduce this effect, it seems to occur at random. It results in words with white space in them, or sometimes double spaces between words.

At first I thought I was accidentily pressing the space bar, but now I'm 100% sure it is an issue with the keyboard.

My question is: what could be causing this, and how can I fix this issue? If it's any help: my keyboard is connected to the PS/2 port on my pc, and I'm using Windows Vista Business.

Thanks for any replies!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 September 2011, 08:05:30 »
I would contact them to discuss RMAing it, they may suggest a few things you could try first. I say that because they might not want you to try too much before returning it!

One possibility is that the space bar is not fully seated on the stem of the switch, so maybe just pressing down on it (fairly firmly, in the middle) might help. Does space feel normal in use? Or perhaps activating very close to the top of it's travel compared to other keys?
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 September 2011, 08:08:06 by Soarer »

Offline Khenra

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 September 2011, 09:11:35 »
Yeah, I suppose I should contact the Keyboard Co about this. I prefer not sending it back though, I dont want to go back to my old keyboard ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 September 2011, 09:23:21 »
I'm sure they will understand that, and try to solve the issue without sending it back if possible :)