Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1243760 times)

Offline sordna

Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #2050 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 02:16:35 »
You got the jumpers wrong. You are supposed to join the two holes, following the white outline as drawn on the top of the PCB, not the bottom (solder) side.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #2051 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 02:27:04 »
You got the jumpers wrong. You are supposed to join the two holes, following the white outline as drawn on the top of the PCB, not the bottom (solder) side.
a--000''00i

Fixed it, and it works now!

Unfortunately, still a y won't show up it almost like jumps from doing qwerty to doing keys like ---\\{{{]]]]{{{{[[[[[}}}

It is really weird.. I think it is from the USB green white red and black wires, I had a lot of trouble with that

Gupgup

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2052 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 04:03:34 »
strange. i completed the left side and all the keys would not register. Sometimes some of the keys would register if i press on them randomly. any idea what the cause is?

« Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2013, 06:40:18 by seferphier »

Offline wolfv

« Reply #2053 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 06:02:21 »
Zalusithix it Looks fantastic!

Is there a schematic of the ErgoDox wiring?
I want to make my own case and solder diodes directly to the switches as lowpoly did on his M0110 mod: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20898.0
I just need a schematic so I know how the electronic parts go together.

Thank you.

BTW the pictures of the finished ErgoDox keyboards look great.

The gerber files are available at http://www.ergodox.org/Downloads.aspx
Thank you Glod.
The Front.gtl and Back.gbl show the matrix column and rows nicely.
A free online Gerber file viewer is on http://www.gerber-viewer.com/

Offline Larken

« Reply #2054 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 07:06:21 »
strange. i completed the left side and all the keys would not register. Sometimes some of the keys would register if i press on them randomly. any idea what the cause is?

Show Image

I believe you missed two pins on the transponder.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2055 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 08:56:15 »

Show Image

I believe you missed two pins on the transponder.

ah. you are right!

Offline sordna

« Reply #2056 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 09:22:12 »
Also, the capacitor is not wired correctly. It's supposed to straddle a hole, not join 2 adjacent holes,  according to massdrop's photo:

Note MD's photo doesn't show the solder pads bridged, but you should do that too.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2057 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 09:50:49 »
Also, the capacitor is not wired correctly. It's supposed to straddle a hole, not join 2 adjacent holes,  according to massdrop's photo:

Show Image

Note MD's photo doesn't show the solder pads bridged, but you should do that too.

solder pads bridged? what does that mean?

Offline sordna

« Reply #2058 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 09:54:22 »
It means apply enough solder so they are joined together, like this (ic07's photo)

edit: below is my photo, I actually made the bridging through the acrylic plate opening, since I didn't realize I was missing it till after I soldered the switches:

« Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2013, 10:09:14 by sordna »

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2059 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 11:46:03 »
It means apply enough solder so they are joined together, like this (ic07's photo)

Show Image

edit: below is my photo, I actually made the bridging through the acrylic plate opening, since I didn't realize I was missing it till after I soldered the switches:

is there any consequence of not doing it? don't want to do it over the acrylic.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2013, 11:51:06 by seferphier »

Offline r3dx

« Reply #2060 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 11:55:51 »
    • The DSA keycaps don't have any homerow centering keys. I'm used to the Kinesis, so this layout isn't exactly hard for me, but I manage to misplace my hands enough without those wonderful homerow keys of the Kinesis.

More random photos here.

Nice pics. Put your Kinesis keycaps on the Ergodox, and the DSA on the Kinesis, you might like it! I put Kinesis keycaps on the Ergodox and while it's a big improvement, I still have some trouble positioning my hands without looking. I should probably create nubs with superglue on F and J.

Good idea about the bump on the home keys, sordna. I'll have to give it a try later tonight. That is one thing I never would have guessed that I would miss when it came to the key caps.

It'd be nice if they had included deep dish caps for this purpose or something. Maybe we can get a group buy going for this purpose or something.[/list]
    « Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:18:28 by r3dx »
    Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
    LZ-GH

Offline sordna

« Reply #2061 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:06:46 »

Well, you have the capaticor wired wrong anyway, so if you don't want to correct it, better thing is to rip out the capacitor entirely, since after all it's considered optional.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2062 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:09:07 »

Well, you have the capaticor wired wrong anyway, so if you don't want to correct it, better thing is to rip out the capacitor entirely, since after all it's considered optional.

i corrected the capacitor. i just didn't get the solder pads bridged

Offline Larken

« Reply #2063 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:19:11 »
    doesn't matter if you leave it in. the capacitor is just to clean the signal up, which is why its optional. not bridging the pads just means that the capacitor does nothing. I fixed mine up before sordna pointed it out to the massdrop guys and I decided not to do the bridging because I didn't want to melt the acrylic by accident. keyboard works fine.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2064 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:44:28 »
    the acrylic case doesn't seem to fit perfectly. the pins from the teensy board seems stick out and extend beyond the base acrylic. is this a common issue?

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
    « Reply #2065 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:47:40 »
    the acrylic case doesn't seem to fit perfectly. the pins from the teensy board seems stick out and extend beyond the base acrylic. is this a common issue?

Mine fits snug like a bug, did you cut off the ends of the pins with a wire cutter?

Could you maybe post a pic of this?

Gupgup

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2066 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:49:36 »

Mine fits snug like a bug, did you cut off the ends of the pins with a wire cutter?

Could you maybe post a pic of this?

Gupgup

ah. i did not cut the ends of the pin.

Offline sordna

« Reply #2067 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:54:50 »
    Say, what is that bridging pad, right next to the "TEENSY2.0" label on the PCB ? Does anyone know?

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #2068 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 13:58:57 »
    It'd be nice if they had included deep dish caps for this purpose or something. Maybe we can get a group buy going for this purpose or something.
    I sent a quote form to SP yesterday asking how much it would be for some DSA blank black deep dish keys. I will report when I get an answer.

Offline r3dx

« Reply #2069 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 16:26:31 »
    It'd be nice if they had included deep dish caps for this purpose or something. Maybe we can get a group buy going for this purpose or something.
    I sent a quote form to SP yesterday asking how much it would be for some DSA blank black deep dish keys. I will report when I get an answer.

Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
    LZ-GH

Offline TastyShrimp

« Reply #2070 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 18:10:22 »
    Done...finally.  Massdrop is making the right move by dropping the aluminum case.  It is a royal PITA.  The finish is rough, to say the least, and the fitment is awful.  There is a lot of error in the cuts, so the PCB wouldn't even fit into the case.  A lot of grinding, milling, drilling, filing, and polishing, I finally got it to work.  Not perfect, but tolerable at least.

Show Image

Show Image

It's loaded up with lubed browns and the "qwerty-kinesis-mod" layout to start.  Between the matrix layout and blank keys, typing is a huge challenge.

Can you give some details on how you got the screws flush, and how you polished the aluminum? I've tried to polish up my case, but I haven't been able to get that mirror finish.

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #2071 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 18:22:01 »
    Flush screws would be as simple as countersinking the top plate and using a screw with a beveled head. As for the polishing, perhaps a vibratory tumbler was used?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
      • metaruss
    « Reply #2072 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 18:27:34 »
    I drilled the top plate with a counter sink and used screws from a local hardware store.  The screws from MD are metric, but these are 4-40 x 1" long stainless steel.  As far as polishing, I just used the normal techniques with soft metals.  Once the stack was shaped they way I wanted, I wet-sanded everything with 220 and then 320-grit.  I used a block on the top surface of the top plate.  The top plate and the edges of the bottom plate were then wet-sanded again with 500-grit.  After that I used polishing and buffing compound using wheels on the drill press.  I left the middle plates with the sanded finish from the 320-grit, mainly to help hide the areas that still had exposed laser cuts.

It's not really a mirror finish...more of a mottled shine because I didn't spend as much time doing the final sanding as I could have.  Frankly, I just got tired of working on it.  :)

Edit: I should mention that before I started any of this, the outside of the stack was cut down using a variety of techniques to get the layers sized up the same.  Ideally this could be done on the mill, but fixturing it quickly became a pain.  In the end, I did most of the rough cutting with an angle grinder wearing a course sand-flap wheel.  This made quick work of the really high areas, but had to be done very carefully.  Everything was squared-up after that using some big files and finally blocked with emory cloth.
    « Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2013, 18:31:19 by rknize »
    Russ

Offline ic07

« Reply #2073 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 19:04:57 »
    Say, what is that bridging pad, right next to the "TEENSY2.0" label on the PCB ? Does anyone know?

IIRC, those two pads are already joined.  I think they supply Vcc to one pin of the capacitor (while the two pads on the other side provide GND).

Offline sordna

« Reply #2074 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 19:23:21 »

IIRC, those two pads are already joined.  I think they supply Vcc to one pin of the capacitor (while the two pads on the other side provide GND).

You are right, as usual. I just used a multimeter and indeed they are joined. I just wonder what the purpose is of having them there, guess only bpiphany knows.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
    « Reply #2075 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 21:11:46 »
    Hey Sordna! I have one final question :D

For the USB little header that goes from connects the PC to the ErgoDox, the solder doesn't reach through the solder joint to make a connection. When the cable is plugged in it moves up and disconnects the whole keyboard :/

Thanks again, you're helping everyone that ordered an ErgoDox and that is pretty amazing :D

Gupgup

Offline sordna

« Reply #2076 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 21:23:43 »
    Hmm, just add more solder, and let it flow downward. The holes are plated-through, so if you see the need add more solder keeping the iron on the joint for a few seconds and it will flow through the hole toward the component. You also may not have seated the connector fully on the PCB when you soldered it, I noticed too that its legs are pretty short, but I took care to push it and hold it down while soldering it and it's rock solid for me. But the issue you are seeing is easy to fix.
    BTW we are all helping each other here, it's a nice community and a great project.

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #2077 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 21:29:55 »
    Speaking of the USB connector, I wish the board was designed with a micro usb connector in mind. Nothing uses mini these days.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
    « Reply #2078 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 21:52:49 »
    For the USB little header that goes from connects the PC to the ErgoDox, the solder doesn't reach through the solder joint to make a connection. When the cable is plugged in it moves up and disconnects the whole keyboard :/

Add flux. It helps solder flow, and also removes the surface oxidation so the solder can bond both surfaces better. Also, try to add some solder to the top surface at the two large legs and the 3 back pins.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2079 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 02:53:24 »
    Any idea how to program the keyboard so that u can control when the led turns on?

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
    « Reply #2080 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 09:06:53 »
    I finally got time to do a little work on my ErgoDox case. I think this may be the first
    gender ambiguous aluminum ErgoDox.
    18809-0
    No nuts.
    18811-1

Offline seferphier

« Reply #2081 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 09:10:17 »
    I finally got time to do a little work on my ErgoDox case. I think this may be the first
    (Attachment Link)
    No nuts.
    (Attachment Link)

wow that is fine! post it here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42231.new#new

Offline spm

« Reply #2082 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 15:17:49 »
    so, finally I have my ergodox complete too. Typing on it now :) as I never have matrix keyboard or something with thumb cluster it's pretty pain :) I hope I learn it :))

Offline r3dx

« Reply #2083 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 15:23:36 »
    (Attachment Link)
    No nuts.
    (Attachment Link)

Great looking case, kurplop. I really like the brushed aluminum look. Would you mind posting some information on how you were able to get it to look like that? And what tool you used to round the edges.  :D
    LZ-GH

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
    « Reply #2084 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 17:55:53 »

[/quote]

Great looking case, kurplop. I really like the brushed aluminum look. Would you mind posting some information on how you were able to get it to look like that? And what tool you used to round the edges.  :D
    [/quote]

Thanks. I like the finish that way too. I originally had a mirror finish similar to Rknize's case but decided the more
    subtle brushed satin finish would look better in my office.  It's also a lot less work.

The finish is very quick and easy but getting it shaped for finishing is another matter.  After arriving at the desired shape, sand with successively finer wet and dry sandpaper, starting with 220, then 320, 400 and finally 600 grit.
    For the first sanding (220), I laid the wet sandpaper on a flat surface, I used a granite surface plate but any flat table will work, and stroked the case across it to flatten the surface. This removes high spots from any drilling, countersinking or edge burrs left when sanding the sides flush on the five layers.  Sand in the same direction because it's hard to remove cross scratches and make sure any cross scratches are gone before going to the next grit.  Sanding with the remaining grits are best done holding the paper around a sponge sanding block. Make sure to keep the work wet, I use a spray bottle when the slurry produced gets too thick and use plenty of water. Yes it is messy but cleans up easily.  It starts to look pretty good when the 400 grit sanding is finished. Stopping at 600 grit looked right to my eye.

I rough chamfered the edges with a 1" benchtop belt sander holding the case at a 45º angle and using a light touch. Hand sanding followed. It's best to do this before face sanding to avoid cross grain scratches.

I tried posting a short tutorial last week but I think I may have had too many pictures. I'll try just a few now. If it works I'll add a few more later.
    18865-0
    I used a stationary belt sander to square the sides. I once used this to sand some steel and accidentally started a fire in the dust port. Be careful using wood tools for metal!
    18867-1
    After squaring I used this $20.00 air die grinder to smooth the corners. (Would you let that hand touch your keyboard?)
    18869-2
    The initial squaring gave me a reference to grind the corners square. Ain't it beautiful?  To bad the tolerances in the screw holes doesn't necessarily make it reassemble in the same alignment.

More in another post.
    « Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2013, 18:19:02 by kurplop »

Offline cpf

« Reply #2085 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 18:13:20 »

To save people time figuring out why their new creation isn't working: it isn't this. The supplied capacitor is ceramic, not electrolytic, so it has no polarity.
    « Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2013, 18:18:22 by cpf »

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #2086 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 19:44:10 »

Show Image

I was inquiring about only purchasing a couple of caps. Today I received an email saying that they have black blank dsa keycaps in stock, but none with deep dish nor a homing bump.

Perhaps someone more established within the community than me can setup a group buy for some blank black deep dish pbt (or abs) dsa keycaps. I know a lot of us would be interested!

Offline sordna

« Reply #2087 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 19:52:36 »

To save people time figuring out why their new creation isn't working: it isn't this. The supplied capacitor is ceramic, not electrolytic, so it has no polarity.

He wired the capacitor wrong. In this case, to the wrong holes. Nobody mentioned capacitor polarity. But anyway, he might as well leave the capacitor as is, it's not connected to any other components the way he put it, and since it's optional, there's no harm.
    « Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2013, 20:05:20 by sordna »

Offline r3dx

« Reply #2088 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 20:06:23 »

Show Image

I was inquiring about only purchasing a couple of caps. Today I received an email saying that they have black blank dsa keycaps in stock, but none with deep dish nor a homing bump.

Perhaps someone more established within the community than me can setup a group buy for some blank black deep dish pbt (or abs) dsa keycaps. I know a lot of us would be interested!

I know, but still doesn't mean it's not true for at least inquiring.  ;D I thought I was the only one having problems finding the home row now.  :D
    LZ-GH

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #2089 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 20:20:58 »
    I know, but still doesn't mean it's not true for at least inquiring.  ;D I thought I was the only one having problems finding the home row now.  :D
    :D

I'm joining the second round of the buy on Massdrop so it'll be a while before I even get mine. I'm just planning ahead because I know I will be doomed without those bumps. It'd be nice to have professional deep dish keycaps than to create my own bumps with super glue or something.

Offline Larken

« Reply #2090 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 20:39:16 »
    you could probably try to get your hands on the DSA Retro leftovers after they're done and shipped out to the GB participants. Has deep dish keys even for dvorak and colemak layouts. link:http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40175.0

Offline cpf

« Reply #2091 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 21:07:26 »

He wired the capacitor wrong. In this case, to the wrong holes. Nobody mentioned capacitor polarity. But anyway, he might as well leave the capacitor as is, it's not connected to any other components the way he put it, and since it's optional, there's no harm.

Hah, well, I guess I can't read.

Offline sordna

« Reply #2092 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 22:30:44 »

Gosh, that was your first post???  Welcome to geekhack, I'm sure your reading will improve as you participate more :-)
    How about you post some pics of your ergodox!

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #2093 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 22:48:41 »
    you could probably try to get your hands on the DSA Retro leftovers after they're done and shipped out to the GB participants. Has deep dish keys even for dvorak and colemak layouts. link:http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40175.0
    Thanks. I actually got in on that group buy. Unfortunately I didn't plan ahead for the ErgoDox so unless I can get the appropriate blanks, my set is going to sit on another keyboard. I will probably use the deep dish keys (since it comes with extras for different layouts) on my ErgoDox if I can't get anything that would match the massdrop set better.

Gosh, that was your first post???  Welcome to geekhack, I'm sure your reading will improve as you participate more :-)
    How about you post some pics of your ergodox!
    Yes please. Someone should make a thread in the media section of the forums for ErgoDox pictures.

Offline wolfv

« Reply #2094 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 03:35:26 »
    What is the purpose of mounting a USB mini B plug on the ErgoDox PCB?
    Would ErgoDox work if the USB where plugged directly into Teensy?
    (I don't have an ErgoDox.  I am fixing to make something similar though.)

Thank you.

Offline bebuxe

« Reply #2095 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 03:46:24 »
    @wolfv
    1) Portability, since most motherboards are making USB a standard port.
    2) Yes, that is part of the build process, wiring USB to the Teensy registers.
    learn more here:
    http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

it is a nice cheap circuit board. Arduino and pandaboard had more than what was needed. You might want to read our decision process since:
    http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.0

we have even more articles about projects done using teensy on our geekhack projects section. Here are some great articles to get you started:
    http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:17458
    http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:14618
    http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:26018

These are all under the diy discussions ARCHIVE  section:
    http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=39.0

enjoy!
    « Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2013, 03:57:42 by bebuxe »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • Also Known As Ergonomech
      • YouTube Channel
    « Reply #2096 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 04:38:02 »
    kenesis vlifter mod to ergodox >> http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42231.msg854639#msg854639

also trying to make that thread where we show completed ergodox and give experiences seperate from the diy/design thread, not sure if it will work out.....

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
    « Reply #2097 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 05:35:42 »
    Just going to reply to a few things. I would scroll back and find the quotes if the thread wasn't so active...

The optional holes for mounting 1x keys in the outer column is obviously off. Having it pointed out to me I can see from the CAD files they are not correct. Sorry about that =P The upper holes are exactly 0.05" off, which is quite a lot. Someone should probably have noticed they aren't symmetric...

The second solder bridge thingy under the controllers I put there just to be sure. We weren't absolutely sure if it would be necessary to cut that track on one of the halves, and if it in that case would be nice to be able to connect it easily again. I don't remember exactly... However It would probably be quite bad to set that pin as a low output (0V) on the Teensy since the track is powered at +5V =D Separating the track at the bridge would protect against that mistake.

Offline spm

« Reply #2098 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 06:36:22 »
    How are you using leds on ergodox? On mine with black keycaps from massdrop is led light invisible even on acrylic case :/

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
      • metaruss
    « Reply #2099 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 08:31:57 »
    What I did on my poker was to shoot some white paint into the back of the cap.
    Russ