Author Topic: Best mouse alternative for gamers with RSI?  (Read 8851 times)

Offline leahzero

Best mouse alternative for gamers with RSI?
« on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 12:06:35 »
I've developed tendonitis in the wrist of my primary/mousing hand, and it's prompted me to make some changes for my health.

Lately I've been playing spam-clicky, mouse-intensive games like League of Legends, Diablo III, etc., but I also play MMORPGs, FPSes, and all other sorts of games.

I've switched to using the mouse with my left hand, but a) I'm not accurate enough with that hand to play computer games yet, and b) I'm worried that'll just eventually end in RSI, too.

So I'm looking into mouse alternatives that work best for gaming. Since I play a range of game types, I'm looking for a well-rounded input device, not one that works well for a certain type of game but is cumbersome in others.

I already have a drawing tablet, but obviously that doesn't work for gaming.

Vertical mice seem neat, but don't offer enough precision of movement.

I love the design of the RollerMouse, especially the ease of switching between typing and pointing. But I'm assuming the design wouldn't work for games like MMORPGs, where you're often holding down a mouse button and moving the pointer to constantly rotate the camera while moving, clicking the other mouse button to select targets/items, and simultaneously using one hand on the keyboard for WASD/hotkeys.

Thoughts?

Offline dmbr

Best mouse alternative for gamers with RSI?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 14:46:19 »

Offline gameaholic

ergo
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 13:43:26 »
I haven't tried it myself but I was looking into this:

http://www.handshoemouse.com/
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

Re: Best mouse alternative for gamers with RSI?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 08:50:32 »
You could perhaps try a cheap solution in the form of finding an office mouse with the right form factor for you, and possibly the lightest weight (I'm saying office mouse because there's more variety and ergonomics are generally better IMHO), slapping some separately purchased teflon sliders on it (you can try a double layer and/or large sliding surface)? This is what I did years ago when gaming mice exceeded my budget.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:33:22 »
Try a trackball.  I am a FPS gamer and trackballs do an awesome job for gaming.  The Logitech Marble and Kensington Orbit (the scroll ring one is better) are good options for a low budget. 
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:20:56 »
I began to have RSI on while using a temporary mouse for a weeks until I got my Razer DeathAdder back. It's the best mouse I've ever used. Seriously.