Author Topic: Ducky Shine Compatibility  (Read 10100 times)

Offline mpatel89

Ducky Shine Compatibility
« on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 02:53:10 »
I was wondering whether anyone knows if the ducky shine will work on a mac?

Offline Tony

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 03:22:39 »
Since Ducky Shine is nkro under usb, I think it is NOT Mac compatible.

Ducky DK9008 G2 has USB NKRO, but it attain NKRO by emulate 3 keyboards through 1 USB.

So for OS if they don't support multiple keyboard input, it doesn't work for DK9008 G2.

but Mac people can still choose the normal DK9008.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline mpatel89

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 15:09:02 »
Yes, the DK9008-S, DK9008-G2 Pro, DK1008, DK1087, DK9000, & DK9008 all work on Mac's just fine.

The DK9008-G2 & DK9000-G2 will not work on Mac's unless you use a workaround with Adapters.

Quote by Tator tot who is a mod on OCN and seems knowledgable about duckys

http://www.overclock.net/t/1067887/ducky-shine-info/910#post_15701691

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 08:09:13 »
I've just started looking into this myself. Actually, I almost impulsively bought a Ducky Shine for use with my Mac, then happened to stumble on a thread that mentioned Mac issues in passing, which made me panic a little bit :)

But, according to Ducky's site, http://duckychannel.com.tw/DK9008S.html, the DK-9800S has only 6KRO when on USB.

Features Description:
Double-sided PCB traces, security.
Wiring separation, easy to carry.
All key light, dazzling charm.
Coated Cap, touch dense, fine workmanship.
DIP switch, define keyboard functions.
Product Specifications:
Support Interface: USB & PS / 2
Support N-Key Rollover (PS / 2), USB any 6 Key
Five sections of the light adjustment.
Three-stage LED light switch region.
Full keypad LED lights breathing pattern.
Special keycap opaque paint coating.
Support for multimedia keys.
Using Cherry MX series bearings.
Four key features shortcut keys.
Four-way DIP switch functions.

So, in theory, that means it should work on on a Mac.

Additionally, I saw another post somewhere (which I can't find now) from someone who said he got a DK-9800 G2 working on a Mac by using the keyboard in PS/2 mode connected to an active PS/2-USB adapter (mostly working, anyway, I think he said some of the media keys weren't quite right, but KeyRemap4MacBook would probably take care of that). So that might be a suitable backup plan.

Think I'm going to go ahead and get one of them to try out (if I can find one with Cherry MX Blues).

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 13:13:40 »
I think panda-r has one for sale....
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline rhizo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 17:27:31 »
Quote from: ripster;496300
Ducky SHINING....

Just saying.
(Attachment Link) 38288[/ATTACH]

Let us know when you get one and I'll put in the NKRO Wiki.

and this is why your the #1 keyboard expert on the planet ;)

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 17:34:52 »
Ah, you're right, it is actually named "Shining". Just ordered one from PCHome (thanks to the PCHome thread)...blue switches with blue LEDs.

I'll let everyone know when I get one and get a chance to test/confirm NKRO/6KRO. Now to see if I can find a suitable backlit key with an Apple logo while I wait for it to arrive...

Offline ryan92084

• Consumer ****
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 21:44:48 »
From the shin(ing) thread on the OCN forums *edit* can't post pictures yet but the first post there has a picture stating "any 6 key" for usb.  I've seen a few other sources put it at "any 6 key" plus modifiers as well.  Mine won't be in untill March but if this hasn't been put to rest by then i'll run the tests.

RiP *ucky Shine(ing)

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 02:46:55 »
My Ducky Shining arrived yesterday. I'm using it with my Mac right now. Seems to be working just fine (even the media keys work in OS X, though I had to resolve a fight between KeyRemap4Macbook and USB Overdrive to get them to work at home; they worked fine on my work laptop which has neither of those installed). A quick test with the built-in Keyboard Viewer seems to suggest that it does indeed support 6KRO on USB. I will try to find some time this weekend to boot into Windows and do a fully NKRO test for USB and PS2 for the wiki, but that might have to wait until next weekend.

One other note...it's got Cherry MX Blue switches, but the click is a little different and they fell a tad softer than my Das Keyboard II with MX Blues as well. It's interesting to note, but that Das also came from a thrift store, so who knows how used it's in and if anything on my Shining will change as I use it more. I still think I should have gone with the MX Brown shining, though.

Offline csgsales

Re: Ducky Shine Compatibility
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 02:20:05 »
Posting here in case other people are considering this keyboard for their Macs.

I got a used DK9008S-C Shining (Blue switch) produced in 2012.  The box only mentions NKRO.  It sort of works on Mac but with very strange behaviours.

- Pressing Caps Lock will cause the keyboard to hang.  The only way to revive the keyboard is to reconnect it.
- To use this keyboard on Mac, you need to deactivate Caps Lock in System Preferences.
- To work around this, you can run Karabiner Elements.  Somehow, Karabiner allow Caps Lock to register even though MacOS has deactivated it.  The downside is LED for Caps Lock (same for NumLK) does not work with Karabiner running.
- PrtSc ScrLk and Pause are registered as F13-F15 on MacOS.
- Media keys work fine.
- DIP switch allows swapping of Win and Alt keys to match the layout of Option and Command keys on Mac. 
- There is no way to enable/disable 6KRO (via DIP switch or Fn key combinations) like other Ducky keyboards.

A few other quirks of this keyboard:
- The channel for USB cable is very small.  You can only approach the micro USB port at an angle, causing the port to become loose over time.  Beware if you are getting a used keyboard.
- This being a backlit board, Ducky strangely did not print the main and secondary (accessed via Shift) characters side-by-side on the top part of the keycaps.   Instead, the secondary is print below the main character and not illuminated.  This is exact opposite of normal keyboards in which the characters accessed via Shift is printed on top.  It may be disorienting if u look at the keyboard when you are typing.
- The ABS keycaps are thin, but holds up pretty well. 
- I found the typing sound louder than other keyboards with blue switches. 
- Green switch is used for Space Bar.  For me, this is great as green switch makes Space Bar feels more stable.