Author Topic: 61 key set  (Read 2912 times)

Offline bloodygood

61 key set
« on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 03:28:16 »
Due to that there is growing demand for 60% keyboards/building custom keyboards is there any plans to start selling 61 key sets? (The primary cluster, non-function row, non arrow columns) From there we could easily buy the extra 1-3 keycaps as individuals to complete our keyboards but having a non-87 or 104 key set to purchase instead of a 37 key set and adding 20+ individuals would really help us get started towards having our own custom layouts.

Also there has been a lot of interest recently in a caps lock width right shift key Row 1 1Size x1.75 width since there is room next to it to also have an extra Row 1 Size x1.1 key. It has been made before by Cherry brand but it would be very awesome if you were also creating that keycap as it would allow us to get a matching set with any/all of our custom orders from you. If you would need a sample of the keycap I think there is enough interest that perhaps we could purchase one and have it donated to you for the sake of a possible mold being made.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 03:48:56 »
Were probably going to have to go through Signature Plastics for the 1.75 right shift and the 1.5 modifiers as WASD has no reason to offer keys that he does need for his boards. I wonder though if i got blank keys from SP with enough extras if her could do the engraving or if that would even be efficient. I would be looking for ones for my Phantom layout .

Offline Tarkoon

61 key set
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 05:47:51 »
I asked WASD a few days ago concerning the 1.75 cap (row4 at SP / row1 at WASD), but they said they are not able to offer these. :(

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 08:26:15 »
ok well looks like I will have to look into SP any one have an idea on prices?

Offline bloodygood

61 key set
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:16:00 »
Signature Plastics is notorious for having high prices thus why they get group buys together to reduce that cost per key. But again, my question was for WASD if we can get him a sample of the correct shape, perhaps he could attempt to create the key for everyone.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:17:26 »
Quote from: bloodygood;453958
Signature Plastics is notorious for having high prices thus why they get group buys together to reduce that cost per key. But again, my question was for WASD if we can get him a sample of the correct shape, perhaps he could attempt to create the key for everyone.
I believe he buys his keys from some place. I know he bought in VERY large bulk initially.

Offline wasdkeyboards

61 key set
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 18:25:09 »
Good news, I will be getting R1 1.75's. My supplier runs this keycap in the same mold that produces the ISO Enter Key. So, even though I can't use them, I can now supply them. I expect to have these sometime in December.
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Offline bloodygood

61 key set
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 20:12:17 »
Woo! I am definitely looking forward to this December. Hopefully we will all be able to complete our custom keyboards for the holidays then.
Will that also include 61 key sets coming out around the same time?

Offline wasdkeyboards

61 key set
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 20:35:32 »
Do you guys have a layout drawing of the 61-key set you need? I can put something together for everyone when I get all the parts.

Offline bloodygood

61 key set
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 21:30:22 »
Considering there are a few different layouts being done I think the best idea would be doing one standard 61 key, and then we can order the extra keys as necessary. for example.
Some want to replace the backspace key with 2 x1 keys.
Some want to replace the right shift with the reduced x1.75 shift and an extra x1 key.
Some want multiple smaller keys along the row 1 including a smaller space bar but wider 1.5 modifiers.
So I think the best of all worlds is 1 normal 61 key set which looks like this. Basically just reduced from 87 keys.
Not everyone is doing all of those options so to cut down on the list of variances one "Base" set would be much appreciated
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2011, 21:35:24 by bloodygood »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 22:34:47 »
will short left shift also be available? I believe this is a ISO standard if I am correct.

Offline wasdkeyboards

61 key set
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 22:51:15 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;454469
will short left shift also be available? I believe this is a ISO standard if I am correct.

That's just a R1 1x1.25.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 22:57:40 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;454475
That's just a R1 1x1.25.
good point i i guess I never did the math. Are you able to get R1 1x1.5 and R2 1x1.25? The reason I ask is because those would be the only sizes missing for a Phantom 7bit Layout (Phantom Group Buy, my current layout (will be changing a bit soon). The reason I ask is because the Phantom is a fully custom board like the DOX except with a even more customized layout and I think that people (including me) would like to have key caps that match their layout.

Offline wasdkeyboards

61 key set
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 23:34:45 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;454479
good point i i guess I never did the math. Are you able to get R1 1x1.5 and R2 1x1.25? The reason I ask is because those would be the only sizes missing for a Phantom 7bit Layout (Phantom Group Buy, my current layout (will be changing a bit soon). The reason I ask is because the Phantom is a fully custom board like the DOX except with a even more customized layout and I think that people (including me) would like to have key caps that match their layout.

Nope. The R1 1.75 just happened to be on the same mold that they use to make the Enter key, so that's the only reason I'm getting it. I don't think I've even seen those sizes on other Costar boards.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 23:45:00 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;454503
Nope. The R1 1.75 just happened to be on the same mold that they use to make the Enter key, so that's the only reason I'm getting it. I don't think I've even seen those sizes on other Costar boards.
Well I will definitely be hitting you up for key caps and o-rings for my DOX build. What would you recommend I order at that time or should I contact you first? Im looking at red backlighting (i know that you dont do backlight keys) but what key color do you think would look best with it? I like how the white turns out etched and i tested a white key over one one of the blue leds on my wasd and it does glow blue. Do you think the same would would work with a red led? I also like how the red keys turn out but I dont think the leds would have much effect on them.

Offline bloodygood

61 key set
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 14:20:47 »
Here is something I thought of just earlier.
In this example from your website you have tick-able options for replacing win with the non-os keycap. Perhaps on the 61 key sets you could have something like.
[_] Swap OS Keys to Flat R1 1x1.25
[_] Swap Backspace Key to 2x R4 1x1 + $1.00
[_] Swap Right Shift Key to 1x R1 1x1 & 1x R1 1x1.75 + $1.00
[_] Swap Left Shift Key to 1x R1 1x1 & 1x R1 1x1.25 + $1.00

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 14:22:40 »
Quote from: bloodygood;455012
Here is something I thought of just earlier.
In this example from your website you have tick-able options for replacing win with the non-os keycap. Perhaps on the 61 key sets you could have something like.
[_] Swap OS Keys to Flat R1 1x1.25
[_] Swap Backspace Key to 2x R4 1x1 + $1.00
[_] Swap Right Shift Key to 1x R1 1x1 & 1x R1 1x1.75 + $1.00
[_] Swap Left Shift Key to 1x R1 1x1 & 1x R1 1x1.25 + $1.00
Idk if a order thing like that would be the best option make a generic price then you contact him for more info

Offline bloodygood

61 key set
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 14:24:34 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;455014
Idk if a order thing like that would be the best option make a generic price then you contact him for more info
Well it was just a suggestion, I know it wasn't ideal but it seemed like it would fit at least /some/ of the requests without having to special order.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 14:25:58 »
Quote from: bloodygood;455015
Well it was just a suggestion, I know it wasn't ideal but it seemed like it would fit at least /some/ of the requests without having to special order.
True but I think the whole idea would be a special order situation

Offline bloodygood

61 key set
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 21:18:27 »
Adding one more question to go along with my previous post.
I am very glad you are getting in the x1.75 sculpted right shift key but I wonder one thing. If you some day get a supplier for PBT would you be able to sculpt that keycap out of PBT also or would it only be for the more standard shaped keys. This is the defining decision for me as whether or not to use a full size right shift key or a compact one with an extra x1.0 key next to it.

Offline wasdkeyboards

61 key set
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 21:28:28 »
Not sure, it would depend on the manufacturer. But as of right now, there are no prospects for PBT and I probably won't look again until sometime next year to see if it'll even be possible. The problem is that most places don't work with PBT material, so the prices are high. If production goes up next year, then I can look into it again.

Offline bloodygood

61 key set
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 21:58:53 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;455236
Not sure, it would depend on the manufacturer. But as of right now, there are no prospects for PBT and I probably won't look again until sometime next year to see if it'll even be possible. The problem is that most places don't work with PBT material, so the prices are high. If production goes up next year, then I can look into it again.
That sounds very fair, and it is hard to say how other plastics would fare when being used as a keycap, though it would be interesting to see perhaps acrylics or something along those lines (something the "MYOC" make your own caps modification thread has been trying.)

I am opting for the full size shift then and I will definitely look forward to a custom color ABS key order from you in the next month.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 04:27:48 »
I plan on making a Phantom also. Sadly WASD will not be able to carry the correct keys to fit the keyboard. WASD would you be willing to engrave keycaps that were not yours pertaining that I got you enough keys to tune your etching laser? (how many would that be by the way?)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 12:38:24 »
Also I was wondering what you would prefer I do when I order the caps for the DOX once you get the R1 1x1.75 keys in. Do you want me to make a custom template and submit that? Or submit a regular template for the keys I need and the individual SVGs for the keys that are not available on a regular template?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 10:16:55 »
I have emailed WASD about this recently and it looks like there will be sets of keys available to fit the DOXs multiple variations of layouts. All legends will have to be completely custom done instead of using the designer on his site because of the non standard layouts.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 23:49:34 »
were yo still planning on getting the stabilizer part that snaps into the plate?

Offline wasdkeyboards

61 key set
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 14:46:03 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;461738
were yo still planning on getting the stabilizer part that snaps into the plate?

Yes, this part is now on order. I should have it within the next 2 weeks. Also, I'll be getting Cherry MX switches (finally). Price is TDB, but it'll be comparable or cheaper than getting it through mouser.

Offline bloodygood

61 key set
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 21:40:33 »
Now that is awesome news! We will be able to order 70-80% of our keyboard through WASD then. Thank you very much for all you do for the community.
Soon to be placed, many orders for Mx switches, stabilizers, stabilizer bars, stabilizer plastic mx inserts, and keycaps.
Are you attempting to order all variants of the switches? (all being the most common 5 at least) Red, Blue, Brown, Black and Clear.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
61 key set
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 22:35:48 »
Quote from: wasdkeyboards;462215
Yes, this part is now on order. I should have it within the next 2 weeks. Also, I'll be getting Cherry MX switches (finally). Price is TDB, but it'll be comparable or cheaper than getting it through mouser.
That is great to hear I will be getting a fair bit of stuff from you for both the DOX and phantom then maybe not switches but everything else. I would love to get switches but im aiming for ergo clears and thats get really expensive really fast if you want brand new.