Author Topic: Custom Mac Key Caps from WASD Keyboards  (Read 65719 times)

Offline cosm2000

Custom Mac Key Caps from WASD Keyboards
« on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 16:33:30 »
7/17/2014 Update: Finally I uploaded all related files (.ai files, KeyRemap4Macbook configuration file, and pictures) to GitHub and now my server's downtime won't affect their availability anymore.

https://github.com/ychw/CustomMacKeycaps

Please "star" the repository if you like. ;-)

=========================================

2/7/2014 Update: I have got many requests for the keyboard design files. You can download them from my blog: http://www.clingmarks.com/custom-mac-mechanical-keyboard-lets-have-some-fun/893. The files are at the bottom of the page.

=========================================

Since I started playing with mechanical keyboards, I always tried to find a Mac compatible one. Sure, most of the keyboards do work on Mac, but I think what I am looking for is more a "mac feeling" keyboard. I tried Matias Tactile Pro 3, but just didn't like the feeling of alps and its ping. So eventually I comprised and bought a DAS keyboard w/ blue switch. I thought if I liked it, I could buy their mac keycap set and turn it to to semi-mac-keyboard -- because their mac key caps only have opt and cmd keys.

Until I found this post from iindigo: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23203-Finishing-Touches-for-a-Layout

iindigo is genius. :) He designed this wonderful mac keyboard layout to match exactly the look of the original mac keyboard. All the font, position of each character, are carefully designed so that they look just like the Apple mac keyboard. And he's general enough to share his work.

(iindigo's design: http://geekhack.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29448&d=1319258366)

So I asked him to send me the layout, and added a little extras based on the layout of current Apple keyboard (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB110LL/B). The changes to iindigo's edition are:
  • Multimedia symbols on F1-F15
  • Change the original "menu" key to a apple logo key
  • Right-align the right "control" key
  • And just for fun, I added a "pig king" from Angry Bird to the space bar! :)

I submitted an order on http://www.wasdkeyboards.com on Wednesday night. On Thursday, Weyman, the owner of wasd keyboards, told me I could pick it up on Friday (yes, I am luck enough to be close to them, ;-) ). He's also kind enough to offer me to change all the keys in his office so that I can use his wire key cap puller -- just to make things easier.

Yesterday, I went to wasd keyboards. And yeah, my key caps are already there, nicely laid out on a table, just like on a keyboard:

At first look, I was a little worried that the letters seemed a bit too thin, and not dark enough on the keys. But overall, they are very crisp, high quality print. Weyman is a really nice guy. Not only he let me do the key switching in his office, he also showed me how to lubricate the stabilizers of the bigger keys (this is my first time changing all the keys of a mechanical keyboard). The whole thing turned out longer than I thought. But once I finished, I was really amazed by the overall look of this "new" keyboard. The font is perfect, not thin at all. As to the key caps from WASD, I would say it's the same quality as das keyboard's original ones. Now I have used it for about a day, and everything is good.

My next step is to use KeyRemap4Macbook to generate a custom configuration file, to remap all the F keys to its multimedia keys. I designed the Apple Logo key (Fn key) as a black key, to give the keyboard a kick. However, it turned out not completely as I expected. The apple logo is dark brown, instead light gray I expected. But Weyman already made me an extra one with white background, which is pretty good.

OK, enough talk. Let's look at the pictures. I also attached the design layout at the end.

DAS keyboard w/o keys:

Finished keyboard

Right side of the keyboard:

Multimedia keys:

Arrow Keys:

Option and Command keys:

The black Apple Logo key:

The pig king on the space bar:

Keyboard layout:

Compare with DAS key (you can see the result of different printing technologies):

Finally, all credit goes to the original layout designer iindigo. And I highly recommend http://www.wasdkeyboards.com, it's very good company with high quality product and service.

Let me know if you have any question.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 July 2014, 18:41:21 by cosm2000 »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 16:40:29 »
Wow, good review, and wonderful pictures. I'm glad you enjoy WASD too!

The black key was a good idea. Sometimes I wish etching black plastic would go more predictably.

But it looks like everything has worked out! enjoy your keycaps!

Those legends really look impressive.

Offline iindigo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 17:32:10 »
Wow, looks good! I'm glad I could help.

The only problem is that seeing this makes me want to get a white keycap set for my own keyboard! My black ones look good but I think white might have been a better choice.

Offline cosm2000

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 17:38:06 »
Quote from: iindigo;455746
Wow, looks good! I'm glad I could help.

The only problem is that seeing this makes me want to get a white keycap set for my own keyboard! My black ones look good but I think white might have been a better choice.

Thanks for your help!

Weyman told me the white ones are more resistant to scratch. I also think white ones have a more authentic apple feeling. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 18:42:19 »
Awww....look at that! Nice! Too bad I'm against legends otherwise I'd do exactly the same thing...looks sharp.

Thanks for showing, pics are good too. WASD does good work as always :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 02:41:15 »
Do you happen to know how the legends will hold up over time? Is it a lasered burn/etch?

It looks really awesome. I'd buy an aluminum housed keyboard like the Corsair ones and slap this set on it for a nice mac feel.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline cosm2000

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 16:24:57 »
Quote from: Atenacius;459131
Do you happen to know how the legends will hold up over time? Is it a lasered burn/etch?

It looks really awesome. I'd buy an aluminum housed keyboard like the Corsair ones and slap this set on it for a nice mac feel.

Since I got this set about two weeks ago, I can't really say how long they will last. Yes, it is laser etched. And according to WASD keyboards, white key caps tend to last longer than black ones, which is another reason I want a white set.

Which Corsair keyboard were you talking about? I love to take a look.

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 19:09:33 »
Quote from: cosm2000;459706
Since I got this set about two weeks ago, I can't really say how long they will last. Yes, it is laser etched. And according to WASD keyboards, white key caps tend to last longer than black ones, which is another reason I want a white set.

Which Corsair keyboard were you talking about? I love to take a look.

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-k60-performance-fps-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

I bet this would look great with these keys.

IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline cosm2000

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 20:59:21 »

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 00:37:49 »
Yeah they skimped on a bunch of keys arguing that they aren't used as often as other keys so mechanical switches aren't crucial. It's unfortunate because I really like the design

IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline lenakira

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 December 2011, 17:48:57 »
Wow it fits !

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 06:32:47 »
This looks great!

cosm2000, did you ever get around to creating that KeyRemap4Macbook custom config file?

I'm contemplating ordering this set of keys myself, and I noticed that your positions for the multimedia keys don't line up with the defaults in KeyRemap4Macbook (so I think I wouldn't just be able to enable the existing options there...I'd have to create those options manually). So at the moment I'm trying to decide if it'd be easier to create the custom configuration file or edit your layout to move the multimedia symbols around. But if you have a custom config, and are willing to share it, then I don't have to do either :)

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 08:27:17 »
NVM, found your blog post http://www.clingmarks.com/custom-mac-mechanical-keyboard-lets-have-some-fun/893 with your configuration file.

But I would like to request the vector file (as much as I like Angry Birds, I think I want to put something else on my space bar :)

Offline drezha

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 10:20:57 »
Was sent here by GeorgeStorm - frankly this is fantastic and exactly what I'm after for my Filco.

A shame mines a UK layout and therefore the keys aren't quite the same or I'd be ordering this now! I don't suppose WASD support UK layouts but I've dropped them an email to check.

Offline prava

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 10:49:38 »
Quote from: drezha;497593
Was sent here by GeorgeStorm - frankly this is fantastic and exactly what I'm after for my Filco.

A shame mines a UK layout and therefore the keys aren't quite the same or I'd be ordering this now! I don't suppose WASD support UK layouts but I've dropped them an email to check.

They actually do, although they may have to update their website ;) And I must say that I'm working on a group-buy for a local forum and going through Wasdkeyboards is just fantastic ;) They do really take care of their customers...

Lets hope they release TKL boards soon so I can get a few for myself, it won't be soon enough!

Offline drezha

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:46:25 »
Yeah, got a reply back and they said they were just waiting for the website to be update and to check back in a few days, though I'm struggling to figure out how to order a custom set - from looks I go to Products > Keycap Set and select the set I want (currently no ISO but for sake of argument we'll use ANSI here), select 104 set (and laser etched) and then under Products > Custom Keycap options I upload my own version?

Now to decide if I want white or black keys!

Offline reardencode

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 14:00:22 »
Quote from: CyberDave;496149
But I would like to request the vector file (as much as I like Angry Birds, I think I want to put something else on my space bar :)

I too would love a copy of the vector graphics file -- WASD will be getting my business as soon as I get a layout I'm happy with whipped up.

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 14:17:32 »
Quote from: drezha;498493
Yeah, got a reply back and they said they were just waiting for the website to be update and to check back in a few days, though I'm struggling to figure out how to order a custom set - from looks I go to Products > Keycap Set and select the set I want (currently no ISO but for sake of argument we'll use ANSI here), select 104 set (and laser etched) and then under Products > Custom Keycap options I upload my own version?

Now to decide if I want white or black keys!

You go into the custom keyboard section and lay out the keyboard, then you click the keycaps only button and it will place the order for the caps you have specified without the keyboard.

To avoid individual graphics charges you can use there templates, such as this:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/media/wasd_v1_104_classic_template.pdf
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 January 2012, 14:26:54 by jellowiggler »
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline cosm2000

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 14:03:19 »
I have updated the post. Now the .ai file is included. enjoy! :-)

Offline Grr8

• Quack!
Re: Custom Mac Key Caps from WASD Keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 09:30:34 »

Geekhack has lost that old attachment, but I found it on your site here:

http://www.clingmarks.com/custom-mac-mechanical-keyboard-lets-have-some-fun/893

Daily Driver: Poker II Backlit (Ducky Mini-fied) + Amazon o-rings. Future daily driver IBM AT Model F (restoring now). For fun: IBM SSK 1397681 (NIB), IBM SSK 1391472, IBM Industrial 101 Square label 1388032, IBM Industrial 101 Black label 1394946, IBM 1391401 (bolt-modding now), IBM 1370477, IBM 42H1292 (USA), IBM 52G9700 IBM, and more....
More
Ducky Shine w/Blues + WASD o-rings, Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/Browns + ebay o-rings, Rosewill RK-9100 w/Blues, Apple Wireless (slim), Apple Wireless White A1016, Apple Extended II ADB. Next? HHKB2Pro?

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 14:13:36 »
Wow! That's a very nice set you have! Really like it!
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 23:30:48 »

Geekhack has lost that old attachment, but I found it on your site here:

http://www.clingmarks.com/custom-mac-mechanical-keyboard-lets-have-some-fun/893

Thanks for sharing the file again here. You really uphold the community.

Offline tooki

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 09:31:21 »
The end product looks amazing, except for one detail: why did you label the key above Forward Delete "insert"? On the Mac, that key is "help".

I will likely make a set of these for the Filco I just got. Or at least once the caps look dirty. :P

Offline applky

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 06:28:16 »
Hi all,

The clingmarks webpage doesn't seem to be loading. Is someone able to share this attachment another way?

Thanks!

Offline applky

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 19:06:46 »
^ Anyone?

Offline JapaneseKnotweed

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 05:15:18 »
I'm keen to get a keyboard with Apple keys on it. Can anyone upload a template that I can use?

Many thanks :D

Offline kreso

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 16:45:37 »
Hey guys, the links for this post are dead. It makes sense since it's very old.

Here is my template file for WASD Keyboard, Mac layout: https://github.com/kreso22/WASD-keyboard---MAC-layout

Since this address pops up first in google, I thought I should link here. Hopefully save someone 30mins or more of their time.

Kreso

Offline cosm2000

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 01:01:55 »
Actually you can still download the original design file from my blog: http://www.clingmarks.com/custom-mac-mechanical-keyboard-lets-have-some-fun/893 . The link to the files is at the bottom of the page.

Offline nammkit

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:51:38 »
nice keyboard, just wondering how much did they charge you for the whole set?

Offline tooki

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 19:31:08 »
Actually you can still download the original design file from my blog: http://www.clingmarks.com/custom-mac-mechanical-keyboard-lets-have-some-fun/893 . The link to the files is at the bottom of the page.
Again, the end product looks amazing, except for one detail: why did you label the key above Forward Delete "insert"? On the Mac, that key is "help".
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 17:45:31 by tooki »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 23:22:09 »
I'm a little confused on the lettering... I thought WASD keys were pad-printed? But they seem laser-etched from the photos...

Offline tooki

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 17:46:15 »
Huh? WASD's specialty is custom keys, which is basically synonymous with laser. (Which is indeed what they do.)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 17:50:14 »
Huh? WASD's specialty is custom keys, which is basically synonymous with laser. (Which is indeed what they do.)

custom isn't synonymous with laser. You still can get dyesub and pad printed custom designs

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 20:51:08 »
In the specifications listed on their site: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-set/104-key-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

It says the keycap material is "UV coated ABS", and I just had assumed the "UV coat" was related to pad-printing. So they are indeed laser-etched?

Offline tooki

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 01:37:22 »
custom isn't synonymous with laser. You still can get dyesub and pad printed custom designs
For one-off keys? I though you needed to pay set-up costs for dye-sub and pad printing.

Offline ketsugi

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 20:58:46 »
Sorry to necro this, but the clingmarks site is down and all the attachments in the OP are no longer available. Anyone still have a copy of the template file lying around somewhere?

Offline mer

• Purple Ghost Software, Inc.
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 10:34:36 »
Sorry to necro this, but the clingmarks site is down and all the attachments in the OP are no longer available. Anyone still have a copy of the template file lying around somewhere?

kreso has the template file available on Github here:

https://github.com/kreso22/WASD-keyboard---MAC-layout
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens
Profile pic is "Geek Hack" in Gallifreyan

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 17:30:09 »
FWIW I've noticed that EK now has those cheap pad-printed keycaps with Command and Option keys (green linked, but other colours available):

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=dmx_cmd_grn_tw
http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=dmx_opt_grn_tw
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cosm2000

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 18:40:14 »
I uploaded all related files (.ai files, KeyRemap4Macbook configuration file, and pictures) to GitHub and now my server's downtime won't affect their availability anymore.

Offline Eugene

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 18:41:59 »
I uploaded all related files (.ai files, KeyRemap4Macbook configuration file, and pictures) to GitHub and now my server's downtime won't affect their availability anymore.

Bit of a necro, but this is kind of important.

I had two keyboards customized by WASD in the past month. Both times I uploaded your .ai file. The first keyboard's keycaps turned out great. The second not so much. I received the second keyboard in person at the WASD office and noticed the problem right away. The font they used was wrong. We discussed the issue and it turns out Illustrator can't find the font "VAG Rounded" in the file. It's also using a very old version of their template.

So why did the first keyboard turn out okay? Apparently the person at WASD responsible for most of the printing uses his own "fixed" version of your template whenever a customer uploads your file. The second keyboard was printed with your template by someone else at WASD while the other employee was sick and not at the office.

Basically anyone ordering keycaps with this template just needs to leave a note in the comment window with a reminder that the uploaded version of the template is old, and to use WASD's own fixed version of Yuchen's template instead.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 February 2015, 04:45:27 by Eugene »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 15:15:09 »
VAG Rounded does not seem to be a standard font - maybe WASD upgraded their PCs and lost the one with that font.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Eugene

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 06:09:59 »
VAG Rounded does not seem to be a standard font - maybe WASD upgraded their PCs and lost the one with that font.

It isn't a standard font, so it has to be embedded in the template or vectorized. The file on github popped up with an error when they opened it in Illustrator.

WASD has their own "fixed" version that is used whenever someone requests Yuchen's layout. It's just that someone not in the know (hilariously it was Weyman) printed my keycaps while the usual employee was out sick. They told me that in the future I should leave a note in the comments box that I want Yuchen's custom Mac layout and not to bother with uploading his file.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 02:52:31 »

It isn't a standard font, so it has to be embedded in the template or vectorized. The file on github popped up with an error when they opened it in Illustrator.

WASD has their own "fixed" version that is used whenever someone requests Yuchen's layout. It's just that someone not in the know (hilariously it was Weyman) printed my keycaps while the usual employee was out sick. They told me that in the future I should leave a note in the comments box that I want Yuchen's custom Mac layout and not to bother with uploading his file.

Or maybe they could make the corrected layout available for the community?

Offline mer

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 08:14:00 »
What you really should do is simply convert all your fonts to vector data before you send it in to them. That way, they don't need the font on their system. All the text will then simply be vector objects.
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens

Offline xrayos

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 07:42:53 »
Glad, I stumbled upon this thread.

Does anyone have an updated mac layout? supposedly some of the function keys have changed. i.e., no more dashboard. Also, this should work with a filco keyboard right?

thanks

Offline mer

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:31:37 »
Glad, I stumbled upon this thread.

Does anyone have an updated mac layout? supposedly some of the function keys have changed. i.e., no more dashboard. Also, this should work with a filco keyboard right?

thanks

Well, I have the layout file I used for my keyboard. You can see the results in this thread.

I've also created a layout based on the "granite" set but I haven't had keys made from it yet. I took a screenshot (attached below) of what it looks like in Inkscape with a sample keyboard behind the legends so you can get an idea of what it would look like.

Let me know if you'd like either of these layouts.
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens

Offline xrayos

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 09:10:49 »
I acutally like your layout in the linked thread. it looks good on a black keyboard with mixed white and gray keys. The updated layout was F3 and F4, there's no more dashboard, instead it's a different legend for launcher. It's on your WASD keyboard. You can see the difference with your wireless apple keyboard.

I'm going to figure out which keyboard, I'm going to use with the iMac. I might be the filco mx red since I cannot seem to source any topre keycaps. I'll keep that keyboard with my pc.

thanks

Offline mer

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 09:50:33 »
I acutally like your layout in the linked thread. it looks good on a black keyboard with mixed white and gray keys. The updated layout was F3 and F4, there's no more dashboard, instead it's a different legend for launcher. It's on your WASD keyboard. You can see the difference with your wireless apple keyboard.

I'm going to figure out which keyboard, I'm going to use with the iMac. I might be the filco mx red since I cannot seem to source any topre keycaps. I'll keep that keyboard with my pc.

thanks

Yeah, F3 and F4 have changed on the Mac keyboards. F3 is now Mission Control and F4 is Launch Pad.

However, that is only true with the built-in keyboards and actual Apple keyboards. Those functions don't work "out of the box" with a third party keyboard, like the WASD or any other. In order to get my WASD to have the function keys work like an Apple keyboard, I use a program called Karabiner. With it, you can pretty much customize the whole keyboard however you want. So, since I wasn't limited to exactly matching the Apple keyboard, I shifted things a bit, as you can see in both my designs. Namely, I put all the media control keys on the third function key cluster (F9 - F12) instead of using normal Mac design of F7-F9 (and separate eject key) as using the Mac design would separate the media keys between function key clusters on the WASD. I also put the volume keys on F13-F15 instead of F10-F12. This organizes these keys nicely.

I've attached the layout I used on my keyboard in that linked thread. The layout includes everything for a full size keyboard but my keyboard is the TKL version so I haven't actually seen how the numpad looks on an actual keyboard.

The attached layout has already had all the fonts converted to vectors so it is ready to send to WASD. They can use that layout file for a TKL or full sized keyboard.

WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens

Offline xrayos

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 10:13:16 »
^ thanks, mer. Did you use the same fonts as the guy in the beginning of this thread? it seems that your keycap text fonts are thicker. I actually like it more.

thanks

Offline mer

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 10:26:48 »
^ thanks, mer. Did you use the same fonts as the guy in the beginning of this thread? it seems that your keycap text fonts are thicker. I actually like it more.

thanks

I don't know what the other guy used for the font. I took the Apple keyboard layout that is included in the layout template file from WASD and modified it a bit (added the function key icons, etc) and I used the same font that they used (VAG Rounded Light).
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens