Author Topic: QGMLWY keyboard layout  (Read 7538 times)

Offline Tony

QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 23:07:02 »
Qwerty is 8% more left handed.
Dvorak is 14% more right-handed.
Colemak is 6% more right-handed.

Therefore, it is quite normal to feel cramps in right hands when switching to Colemak since you have to use right hand more than in Qwerty.

If you use Colemak, try to press backspace and space with left hand will balance the work between hands.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline xorxpto

QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 08:39:19 »
Quote from: Tony;468617
After trying pyro's translation I feel that this keyboard layout utilize the index finger and middle finger very much.

Some of the desired improvements that can be directly influenced by the model during layout optimization in carpalx include:

increasing hand-alternation or at least hand-balancing
reduction in same-finger typing
improve finger flow, such as finger rolling
increasing use of stronger typing fingers and reducing use of the pinky
limiting difficult stroke paths during typing, such as upward row progressions (e.g. nse)

Online dorkvader

• ** Civil Servant Emeritus
  • ipse se nihil scire id unum sciat
QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 23:06:02 »
I'd recommend going whole-hog on the new layout, but your one-key-at-a-time method may be the best if you're just trying it out.

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2011, 23:09:15 by dorkvader »
let me put together your keyboard! Special offer, $10 to assemble an "inifity" keyboard.
"One should watch a film adaptation of a favorite book only after considering, very carefully, the fact that the casting of the film may very well become the permanent casting of the book in one's mind. This is a very real hazard."

Offline Tony

QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 23:52:21 »
Go one key at a time is a waste of time. Any keyboard layout can be learned in three weeks.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Online Input Nirvana

• * Bard of Virtue and Vice
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 00:39:30 »
Quote from: Tony;469401
Go one key at a time is a waste of time. Any keyboard layout can be learned in three weeks.

Agreed.
Just do it.
Kinesis Advantage | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Alphagrip | Colemak | all on Mac
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell               Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Staying in touch with Tapatalk Pro                               Thanks much, Smallfry
I AM THE REAPER...BECAUSE I KILL IT

Offline inaneframe

QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 03:33:21 »

Offline Playtrumpet

QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 11:24:12 »
3 weeks sure, but I'd argue that if you're a fast typist, it'll be more than three weeks and likely a few months before you reach your old high speeds. Either way, I'm still against switching one key at a time.

Weird question, do people tend to use just one of the Shift keys? I'm a lefty and I've only ever used my Left Shift. In a way, it feels like it helps balance out my Dvorak use.
Das S Ultimate Brown | Dvorak

Online pyro

QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 16:36:19 »
Most people use the left shift key exclusively, few alternate (I do). Same goes for the spacebar, most people will use one thumb exclusively, leaving the other one completely without function.

I've been wondering if it would be better to learn a new layout one key at a time, like you do, so please report back on how long it took you to reach your old speed.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 23:23:30 »
I use both shifts but only one thumb except when using my Kinesis then I use left thumb for space and right thumb for backspace.
Filco Tenkeyless | Realforce Tenkeyless Variable Silent | Truly Ergonomic | Kinesis Contoured Advantage | IBM Model M SSK | Cherry G80-3600LYC | TG3 w/ trackpad | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid | Ergodox
Kensington Slimblade | RollerMouse Free2 | Logitech M570 | Logitech G500 | Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3
Colemak

Offline Sciurid89

Re: QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 02:44:30 »
I tried QGMLWY, but immediately disliked such common letters as I and R being on the inside. On the Kinesis, I find the bottom row easier to hit than the inside index finger! The index and middle finger number row keys are also very easy to reach. I am currently leaning towards learning Colemak, but I wonder whether some highly customized endeavor might not suit me better...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Exalted Elder
  • because reasons...
Re: QGMLWY keyboard layout
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 08:46:09 »
I tried QGMLWY, but immediately disliked such common letters as I and R being on the inside. On the Kinesis, I find the bottom row easier to hit than the inside index finger! The index and middle finger number row keys are also very easy to reach. I am currently leaning towards learning Colemak, but I wonder whether some highly customized endeavor might not suit me better...

Custom layout FTW!

Hope you find something the works for you.....and holy necrobump batman!!
'halve your cake and eat it twice'