Author Topic: Truly Ergonomic Unboxing  (Read 43484 times)

Offline heuristicist

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #420 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 17:12:59 »
Quote from: boli;509040
I assume you mean at the location it's usually at? Because does have a Caps Lock at the top. Personally I like it this way, but then I don't have or use a Caps on my Advantage. I hope you'll find a close enough key to map esc to (possibly move Ctrl to the left space bar and use the original left Ctrl for esc; or use the left space bar for esc if you prefer; Optionally swap Ctrl and Shift before you do any of this, in case you'd rather not get used to the new Shift location)

Yeah, that's what I meant. I find that I tend to exclusively use my left thumb for space (using my right thumb on purpose feels weird, though I'm sure I could get used to it if necessary). So my plan was to use right-space for esc. But this realization of not having alt+tab on one hand might make me use it for alt instead... I think a solution can be found. I just got home and have the keyboard in its box but I have to leave again so I won't get to play with it until later. :(

Quote from: boli;509118
It's very similar to learning a new (software) keyboard layout BTW, only that is much harder.

So maybe I *shouldn't* try to switch to Colemak at the same time as giving the TECK a go...

Quote from: Rajagra;509450
There is a reason. Ctrl, Alt, and Shift are all modifiers, and can be used in combinations. Having them the same (over)size, and one above the other makes perfect sense.
I was sorely tempted to order the 109, but went for the 105 on principle.
Having the Alt keys small, so far away, hidden between other keys, and not in the corner, is pretty much the opposite of ergonomic.

I think the 105 and the 104 are the same but with a different keycap and the corresponding DIP switch in a different position by default. I considered the 105 but decided I'd rather have a Del keycap then a second quote one.

Unfortunately given their funny keycaps it seems unlikely we'd be able to get a good group buy going for the TECK. Then again I'm still pretty new to this community so maybe someone knows better.

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #421 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 17:45:21 »
Quote from: heuristicist;509488
Yeah, that's what I meant. I find that I tend to exclusively use my left thumb for space (using my right thumb on purpose feels weird, though I'm sure I could get used to it if necessary). So my plan was to use right-space for esc. But this realization of not having alt+tab on one hand might make me use it for alt instead... I think a solution can be found.

Aye, there are loads of possibilities. Putting esc on the left Ctrl key like you suggested and using either of the space bars for Ctrl instead could be a nice option I'd think, though historically using thumb for the "main" modifier key might be more of a Mac thing (I'd call Command the main modifier for Mac OS, and Ctrl for Win/Linux/...)

So maybe I *shouldn't* try to switch to Colemak at the same time as giving the TECK a go...

Not sure, it could make sense to combine the two periods of "unproductiveness" into one. What I meant is that one is up to acceptable speed with a new keyboard within hours (longer to get really comfortable), whereas it "usually" takes days/weeks to get there with a new layout.
My experience as an example: I could type at least half of my normal speed with the TrulyErgonomic immediately (though I am already used to a grid layout, so YMMW), whereas it took me 3 weeks to get to half my normal speed with Colemak. Getting back to full speed with the Advantage took roughly 3 weeks, whereas it took almost a year with Colemak (I switched to my current Advantage keyboard roughly half a year after switching to Colemak, I wrote about it at the Colemak forum if you're interested). This is of course highly subjective, I suggest checking out the experience threads at the Colemak forums for more variety.

Unfortunately given their funny keycaps it seems unlikely we'd be able to get a good group buy going for the TECK. Then again I'm still pretty new to this community so maybe someone knows better.

The center column key caps do look quite special :-/, I'll try replacing some others with WASD key caps at some point.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline heuristicist

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #422 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 21:14:39 »
Quote from: boli;509510
The center column key caps do look quite special :-/, I'll try replacing some others with WASD key caps at some point.

Even the regular keycaps vary in size by row, IIRC (their website shows them).

Offline boli

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #423 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 01:55:45 »
Quote from: heuristicist;509732
Even the regular keycaps vary in size by row, IIRC (their website shows them).

Yeah, and that's quite normal, as I learned during the WASD Keyboards Kinesis Key Cap Project.

For example, check out these Signature Plastics key cap profiles, or these WASD key cap profiles (the ones labeled R1 to R4) for use in a Kinesis.

I figure most of the TE key caps are quite normal stock keys (possibly all but the center column):

Update: Added actual pictures to my TE thread.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 February 2012, 12:22:57 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Tracer

Truly Ergonomic Unboxing
« Reply #424 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 14:26:43 »
Quote from: heuristicist;494609
How did that save you $50? I just tried it in CAD vs. USD and it shows for the same price. $229 in USD is still only like $240 CAD after conversion... Since I'm also in TO I wouldn't mind also saving $50 :D

I made an error. It's only about 15-20 savings by buying it properly in CAD. (less now that the exchange is in our favour). I was comparing post tax vs. pre tax pricing by accident. Sorry about that.