Author Topic: [Update] Improved TKL?  (Read 13776 times)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: [Update] Improved TKL?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 05:59:54 »
Hi Dihedral - yes, the arrows may (or may not) be in a hard position? Got to try that out.  Anyway, feel free to steal any idea from me. Or not, the Improved TKL is your idea and project.

Personally I wouldn't move the arrows. I'm turning this project into a reality in the form of the Dihedral 79, which will currently have normal num key placement. However I would be totally happy if you wanted to create your own project with the centre numpad -> I am sure that many people would be interested. Maybe contact jdcarpe or Matt3o and see if they would be interested in making it a reality :)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 06:21:20 »
Show Image

This is the best layout for TKL.

I was thinking about how to improve the board from a hardware perspective, not the layout... there are plenty of threads on that topic.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 06:37:09 »
Show Image

This is the best layout for TKL.

I was thinking about how to improve the board from a hardware perspective, not the layout... there are plenty of threads on that topic.

Fully programmable.. and 1mm travel...   and that's about it..

There's nothing to improve.. Everything already works great.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 19:56:38 »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 18:19:51 »
this requested layout does not exist
Works for me. Here’s a different link format:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/9b1dc2d0e7835ad4bf92e6f2a9fc68f9

The spacebars are ridiculous.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 18:25:14 by jacobolus »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:34:25 »
this requested layout does not exist
Works for me. Here�s a different link format:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/9b1dc2d0e7835ad4bf92e6f2a9fc68f9

Show Image

The spacebars are ridiculous.

I understand that the space bars are ridiculous.  Though the majority of keys under 6.25 are dished instead of domed which makes them slightly more uncomfortable when used as a space bar.  Every cap is a standard size.  The one issue with this setup is you would need both the 6.25 space bars, and the mods from a tsangan kit to fill this out and uniform profile works much better as some caps in the center section are in different rows.  The reason for the large space bars is for more separation of the sections similar to the maltron setup, though I don't have the thumb sections.  In my head thumb sections are sub par when they are on the same plane as the rest of the block.  Now if you were to take a look at Oobly's split ergo build, that is how I envision thumb sections should be built. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline PieterGen

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:03:27 »
Why not split the spacebars and do something useful with them?

Or be wild, go wide !! (sorry for the ugly colours)

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:45:06 by PieterGen »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:10:11 »
Why not split the spacebars and do something useful with them?

Show Image

Because now you have non standard caps.

Offline PieterGen

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:53:27 »
 :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 07:29:32 by PieterGen »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Improved TKL?
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 11:24:00 »
(Attachment Link)

HHKB with split Space Bar, arrow keys, navigation cluster and function keys.
Eject is for Mac users. If you use PC, swap Meta and Alt keys and make Eject into an Insert key.
"Erase Eaze" is the another name used for second Backspace, used on NMB keyboards and also named in the USB HID spec for the code assigned to it.

This is the best suggestion I've seen so far in the thread, although I would make a few changes for my own use. Smaller space and "Erase Ease", 1x Meta to the left of erase, 1x Fn to the right of space, 1xAlt keys further out. The Alts are for pinkies, Meta and Fn for thumbs. Like this layout bottom row, but different labels: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/c13a7cb351ced433142d3418d35e6ab9
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 16:35:59 »
Thanks. BTW, I am actually building one almost like it, without the function row. It is an old project that has been laying dormant for much too long that I restarted the other day. After not having had any luck in getting any Red Scarf II PCB or GH60 PCB to use as base, I'm going to do direct wiring. I posted a project thread over on Deskthority.
The space bar is not split right now, but I might do that now that I am not restricted to a PCB.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 17:32:47 »
Layout in the OP looks a lot like one of TheProfosists old designs :

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/b0561f208c10225c3ecd6782badcc687
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 01:52:32 »
Thanks. BTW, I am actually building one almost like it, without the function row. It is an old project that has been laying dormant for much too long that I restarted the other day. After not having had any luck in getting any Red Scarf II PCB or GH60 PCB to use as base, I'm going to do direct wiring. I posted a project thread over on Deskthority.
The space bar is not split right now, but I might do that now that I am not restricted to a PCB.

Great! I cant wait to see how this turns out.