Author Topic: Netbook keyboard as ergo keyboard?  (Read 6372 times)

Offline erw

Netbook keyboard as ergo keyboard?
« on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 14:04:03 »
Netbooks keyboards are around 90% of full size, and when that fact is mentioned on the intertubes, it is typically accompanied by implicit assumptions that this size is bad.

But I noticed something... My fingers don't hurt when I type on my netbook (Eee 1005P). And they do on most other keyboards except my Kinesis Advantage.
Sure, I have to cramp my hands together (especially considering I use a Kinesis) and the keyboard rattles unpleasantly. But my fingers don't hurt!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Are there any less-than-full-size-key keyboards available that are not embedded into netbooks? (and still big enough to touch type on)
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline Lanx

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 14:22:28 »
i have a kinesis as a daily driver, i cannot use the netbook when i travel (as a main computer for the day) for more than 1hr b4 i tear up.

Offline treigle

• http://www.neuron0.net
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 December 2011, 01:57:25 »
The Cherry ML-4100 keyboard (mechanical, short travel switches) has about 90% key pitch (desktop keyboard generally have 19mm from center to center of keys). It feels decent to type on too, and is available in both PS/2 and USB.

I've also seen a few rubber dome boards with compact keys, a *few* of which are half-decent.....  The old IBM M4 (rubber dome) was supposedly alright, though I never tried one. There's always the uTron board from Japan ($$$).

I think all the compact key boards are flat unfortunately. I prefer fullsize keys with different row profiles.....
Kinesis Advantage, Truly Ergonomic (ANSI), Filco 87

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 December 2011, 14:14:34 »
Quote from: treigle;477817
The Cherry ML-4100 keyboard ... It feels decent to type on too ...

Well, that's a matter of opinion ...

The $500 µTron keyboard has smaller keys as well.

Offline sordna

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 December 2011, 14:59:24 »
I have 2 netbooks around the house, one is an Acer with horrible keys which make my hands hurt, the other is a Samsung which is a joy to type on. So the switches make a huge difference, more so than size IMO.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline treigle

• http://www.neuron0.net
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 December 2011, 15:01:43 »
Quote from: Findecanor;477995
Well, that's a matter of opinion ...

True.. I only typed on one for about 20 minutes once. I didn't seem bad for a flat compact keyboard, and several members here (including iMav) seemed like them OK.
Kinesis Advantage, Truly Ergonomic (ANSI), Filco 87

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 01:02:52 »
I really like the domes on my fujitsu keyboard, some scissor keyboards can be really pretty good to type on.

Glad you like it!

Offline boli

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 03:14:34 »
I dunno about netbook keyboards, but I for one really liked typing on the Apple Aluminum keyboards before I switched to a Kinesis Advantage (apparently I'm not the only one). It's full size, with crisp/precise feeling scissor switch keys, which have a very short travel (short travel is an acquired taste, I didn't like it at first but grew to like it a lot). I'd love testing what a keyboard in Kinesis shape with keys like that would feel like - I imagine it'd be even more effortless than the Kinesis with red Cherry switches.

Here's a picture of the ISO (AKA international English) version.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 December 2011, 09:44:33 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com