Author Topic: Do you love beer (or liquor)? What are you favorites?  (Read 29474 times)

Offline Malphas

Do you love beer (or liquor)? What are you favorites?
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 06:26:51 »
Let's just drop the act and admit cigars taste awful already.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 12:42:10 »
LOL. I smoke usually either Gitanes Brunes unfiltered, or Belomorkanal for cigarettes and some cigars to me are like lights. I also always smoke them 'improperly' as inhaling is not overwhelming for me.
I generally prefer Maduro and Oscuro types and avoid the large ones, and stick with corona or smaller. I have a thing for box pressed ones at the moment too.

On topic: I discovered Philippines beer this weekend. Some of it was sort of weird tasting, but the cheapo San Miguel Pilsen wasn't too bad at all.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 January 2012, 12:46:18 by lysol »

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 13:08:44 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38286[/ATTACH]
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline bienc

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 14:28:59 »
Quote from: lysol;496272
LOL. I smoke usually either Gitanes Brunes unfiltered, or Belomorkanal for cigarettes and some cigars to me are like lights. I also always smoke them 'improperly' as inhaling is not overwhelming for me.
I generally prefer Maduro and Oscuro types and avoid the large ones, and stick with corona or smaller. I have a thing for box pressed ones at the moment too.

On topic: I discovered Philippines beer this weekend. Some of it was sort of weird tasting, but the cheapo San Miguel Pilsen wasn't too bad at all.

San Miguel is the beer of the Philippines. I haven't tried it with my beer tongue, but the last time I did, it wasn't enjoyable. But like I said, I have a different taste now so maybe. I'm from there so it's no hard to come by ;D. Red Horse is another Philippine beer that's supposed to be ok.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 16:37:15 »
Well, I say not too bad, not that it is the greatest... Red Horse, SM Negra and Beer na Beer are the others I tried, but didn't like them so much. Especially not Red Horse, such a bad aftertaste that one. But it is cheap, only $4 / 6pack at the Asian market.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 23:04:22 »
Quote from: Malphas;496132
Let's just drop the act and admit cigars taste awful already.

That's why it helps to be drinking while smoking cigars. It's been awhile since I've enjoyed a good cigar, probably because I've moved on to other things.

One good beer I usually enjoy with Sushi ->

Offline bienc

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 10:56:48 »
Quote from: RiffRaff;496556
That's why it helps to be drinking while smoking cigars. It's been awhile since I've enjoyed a good cigar, probably because I've moved on to other things.

One good beer I usually enjoy with Sushi ->
Show Image

Asahi is a pretty sweet/malty beer. Goes very well with Sushi. But since we have all-you-can-eat sushi places here, it takes up room for more sushi!
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 11:01:35 »
Quote from: RiffRaff;496556

That is usually the only time I smoke cigars is when I drink.  I find that it makes me need to drink less to feel a good buzz.  It seems to enhance my drunkenness substantially.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline bienc

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 11:47:57 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;496812
That is usually the only time I smoke cigars is when I drink.  I find that it makes me need to drink less to feel a good buzz.  It seems to enhance my drunkenness substantially.

I heard a long time (probably bro science though) that smoking will increase a buzz by a good percentage and make it last longer. No evidence though. If I had to guess, it's probably the nicotine stimulating your brain.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 19:05:12 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;496812

I get a good buzz just from working on computers (granted they're usually plugged in)

Mr. Computer Lab In Basement, I should PM you a few photos of my lab sometime, once it's a little tidier of course. I'm sitting behind 8 monitors at the moment trying to get caught up on work, well trying anyways.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 20:09:31 »
Yes, nicotine has reactions with alcohol, just like many other substance. Caffeine is amongst the funnest, for that amazing hyper aware drunk, popular with the Jägerbömb set. It also increases dehydration adding to the effect of alcohol. :thumb:

Offline verbel

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 01:51:45 »
I am not really a big drinker at all, but since I have been living in Belgium I really enjoy the different beers they have. I don't really like American beer so when I leave here I won't drink much I imagine.

Offline sinis

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 07:10:12 »
Quote from: verbel;500389
I am not really a big drinker at all, but since I have been living in Belgium I really enjoy the different beers they have. I don't really like American beer so when I leave here I won't drink much I imagine.

grimbergen. very good!

Offline bienc

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 11:46:39 »
Quote from: verbel;500389

American Macro beer like Bud and Miller, no way. But there's been a huge Craft Beer movement in America and the beer here is as diverse as in Belgium. Lots of GREAT stuff that you can look for once you're back. Where are you based in the US?
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 17:13:02 »
I agree, some of the smaller American breweries actually make some very nice beers. You might be particularly interested in Ommegang (Duvel North America). A lot of Belgian beer is imported to US, and easy to find the bigger brands like Chimay, Gulden Drak, Piraat, Duvel, etc.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 January 2012, 17:16:42 by lysol »

Offline bienc

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 19:47:00 »
Quote from: lysol;501007
I agree, some of the smaller American breweries actually make some very nice beers. You might be particularly interested in Ommegang (Duvel North America). A lot of Belgian beer is imported to US, and easy to find the bigger brands like Chimay, Gulden Drak, Piraat, Duvel, etc.

Ommegang makes great Belgian style beer. Also Unibroue from Canada (pretty easily found in America though, there are many places to get it where I live and you really wouldn't expect to find it here). Their La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, and Trois Pistoles are the top notch and available year round. I think they have some seasonals as well.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 01:13:07 »
Quote from: bienc;501157
Ommegang makes great Belgian style beer. Also Unibroue from Canada (pretty easily found in America though, there are many places to get it where I live and you really wouldn't expect to find it here). Their La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, and Trois Pistoles are the top notch and available year round. I think they have some seasonals as well.

Unibroue's beers are amazing. Trois Pistoles and La Find Du Monde especially. FTW

Delirium makes some damn good belgian styles as well.

Offline bienc

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 11:09:11 »
Quote from: JesuswasaZombie;502978
Unibroue's beers are amazing. Trois Pistoles and La Find Du Monde especially. FTW

Delirium makes some damn good belgian styles as well.

Fin Du Monde is my favorite so far. Haven't tried Trois Pistoles but have one in the fridge.

Delirium makesa damn good Belgian styles because they're from Belgium ;D.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline verbel

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 12:10:43 »
Quote from: bienc;500730
American Macro beer like Bud and Miller, no way. But there's been a huge Craft Beer movement in America and the beer here is as diverse as in Belgium. Lots of GREAT stuff that you can look for once you're back. Where are you based in the US?

I've got almost 2 more years here so I am sure I will try a bunch more. No idea where I will end up next though, but I was around Saint Louis when I was in the States last. I have tried a bunch of the trappist beers and some I like and others not so much. I didn't really like Chimay. I really like Saint-Feuillien.

Offline bienc

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 14:32:34 »
Quote from: verbel;503264
I've got almost 2 more years here so I am sure I will try a bunch more. No idea where I will end up next though, but I was around Saint Louis when I was in the States last. I have tried a bunch of the trappist beers and some I like and others not so much. I didn't really like Chimay. I really like Saint-Feuillien.

Whenever you come back next, always be on the lookout for local brewpubs/breweries with restaurants. Depending on how big their brewery is, they may have some Belgian style offerings, but all the rest of what they have should be higher quality than the usual American Macro.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline manirra

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:54:43 »
I had a bad experience with beer at a "young" age, and I've stuck to hard liquor since.
I usually drink Finlandia or Beefeater 24 - haven't quite developed a taste for whiskey, rum, or bourbon.
Occasionally drink Leyenda del Milagro tequila. Being an engineering student, I should probably fix that rum problem real quick...

Offline Blackhawk19

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 13:33:14 »
Went on a study abroad to Belgium a few years ago--ever since, I've been hooked on Belgians.  IPA's are also super delicious.

All time favorite:  Tripel Karmeliet
Favorite from USA:  400 Pound Monkey, Titan IPA is also pretty good
Cheaper go to beer:  Sam Adams

I live in a college town so without special ordering things, most of the selection is limited to widely distributed microbreweries and large foreign brews.   :(

Offline dirge

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:02:39 »
islay single malts here, lagavulin 12 year is my ideal drink.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline phillip

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 17:00:55 »
I only started drinking beer about two months ago.  So far, my favorites are Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat and Dos Equis with a lime.  I've only tried maybe a dozen beers so far though.

Offline Bertross

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 19:48:39 »
Beers over Spirits most definitely.

Stella / Heinekin / Becks / Moretti / Corona / Sol / Little Creatures / Asahi, their all good.
REALFORCE 86UB / FILCO MJ2 87 BROWN PBT WHITE/BLUE

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 20:20:08 »
I found just now the first beer by New Belgium I absolutely hate, Cocoa Mole spice ale. Do not recommend. I was in an adventurous mood and it did not pay off.
Tastes like an accident spilled beer in cocoa, and then knocked over a shaker of chili powder in it.

Offline thebilgerat

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 00:53:49 »
I love Lamp.

Also, this:

The official beer of TEOTWAWKI.

Offline bienc

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 13:06:04 »
Quote from: phillip;521071
I only started drinking beer about two months ago.  So far, my favorites are Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat and Dos Equis with a lime.  I've only tried maybe a dozen beers so far though.

That's a great place to start. I didn't particularly like the Sunset Wheat when I first started drinking beer, my cousin told me it tasted like Fruit Pebbles so I totally had to try it. I was disappointed. Had it a month ago (after a year+ of beer drinking) and finally tasted the Fruit Pebbles.

If you have a good beer place, look for Weihenstephaner Weissbier. You will not be disappointed. Also start drinking hoppier beers like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or something equivalent. It will help you get used to that bitter taste and make many other beers taste better.

Quote from: lysol;522425
I found just now the first beer by New Belgium I absolutely hate, Cocoa Mole spice ale. Do not recommend. I was in an adventurous mood and it did not pay off.
Tastes like an accident spilled beer in cocoa, and then knocked over a shaker of chili powder in it.

That... sounds terrible. I've heard some spicey/pepper beers were good and that sometimes it's good with chocolate but what the hell.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline Malphas

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 13:13:06 »
I recently drank some "Caffrey's Irish Ale" someone gave me.  It makes a nice alternative to tap water I guess.

Offline bienc

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 13:20:04 »
Quote from: ripster;523300
OK, you guys don't know ****.

How about this one?  

What is Cenosillicaphobia the fear of?

An empty glass, apparently. Urban dictionary!
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline bienc

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 13:32:21 »
Damn I love that gif.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 20:30:01 »
All time favorite was a co-worker's homebrew Trippel Bock at his bachelor party.

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Blonde Doppelbock http://www.capital-brewery.com/blondedoppelbock
Autumnal Fire http://www.capital-brewery.com/autumnalfire
Black Top-New Glarus Brewing Company
Americanaki Ouzo-Old Sugar Distillery
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline zirb

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 03:14:31 »
Yes, I do love beer.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41555[/ATTACH]
(that's the one in my avatar)

Offline shawn o

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 10:59:14 »
Love these off topic threads. Should have ventured here before!

I have turned into quite a craft beer lover over the last 6 years!

Used to be a Heineken and Newcastle drinker but now find them to taste TERRIBLE. A doctor my brother works with happens to be married to someone who started a local brewery in 2006 here in Minneapolis called Surly and they are extremely popular now and about to expand. They have opened my eyes to what true beer can taste like and I've refined my taste as a result.

I still love most Surly brews but have ventured out and its quite a journey I must say! Seeing all these new breweries finally opening in the USA is very exciting, expecially here in MN. Almost getting back to pre-prohibition levels now.

Some of my favorites include Founders, 3 Floyds, Steel Toe (another newer MN brewery), Brooklyn, and Deschutes.

I've been enjoying Russian Imperial Stouts almost exclusively for the last year. 3 Floyds Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, Founders Imperial, Foothills Sexual Chocolate, New England Imperial Stout Trooper, Half Acre Big Hugs, Cigar City Marshal Zhukor, Bruery Black Tuesday, Smuttynose Imperial, Weyerbacher Old Heathen, etc, etc...that and some DIPA for a change now and then.

Its very exciting to try the same "class" of beer from the various breweries. There are many suttle differences and its great to be able to experiene them all.

Very excited to try a beer from a brewery in TX called Jester King. They make an imperial stout called Black Metal and I have some on the way right now!

« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2012, 11:05:24 by shawn o »

Offline shawn o

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 11:00:48 »
Couple good Norwegian breweries are Nogne Ø and Haandbryggeriet. Have had a barleywine and imperial stout from Nogne Ø and imperial stout from Haandbryggeriet.

Offline shawn o

Offline bienc

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 16:25:08 »
Quote from: shawn o;525571
I drink all my limited release beers. But if I was to sell....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surly-Darkness-2007-VERY-RARE-Imperial-Stout-NOT-three-floyds-lost-abbey-/290644214890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43abbec46a

Good lord, man. You have connections with Surly?! You sir, have it made. Dark Lord is probably one of my White Whales. No way to get it and no way I'm paying inflated prices for it.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline noog

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 16:28:19 »
I am liking st. Arnolds Santo atm. Maredsous is one of my all time faves.

just the tip!!!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 17:07:21 »
Can't wait to visit the HotD brewpub.

Anyone want to trade beers?

I'm having no luck finding distribution for 3 Floyds, Founders, Victory, Etc in the bay area. Should probably just make a beeradvocate account...

Offline phillip

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 11:48:50 »
Quote from: bienc;523293
That's a great place to start. I didn't particularly like the Sunset Wheat when I first started drinking beer, my cousin told me it tasted like Fruit Pebbles so I totally had to try it. I was disappointed. Had it a month ago (after a year+ of beer drinking) and finally tasted the Fruit Pebbles.

If you have a good beer place, look for Weihenstephaner Weissbier. You will not be disappointed. Also start drinking hoppier beers like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or something equivalent. It will help you get used to that bitter taste and make many other beers taste better.

I don't think it tastes like fruity pebbles, but I do think it tastes pretty good :)

If I remember that name, I'll check out the Weihenstephaner Weissbier.  There are a few places around here that have very large selections, so I'm sure I'll come across it.  I've heard of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale but have yet to try it, so I guess I'll move it up the list.

Offline phillip

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 15:12:17 »
Tried some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale the other day.  Didn't really like it D:

Offline bienc

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 17:39:23 »
Quote from: phillip;543559
Tried some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale the other day.  Didn't really like it D:

It's alright. Keep on drinking what you can to get used to the taste. I just found SNPA to get me used to the taste of beer the best and quickest.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 22:56:44 »
If you want something that isn't really 'beery' beer you might try some Peroni. It's really subtle and crisp, tastes more like Perrier or something than beer and pretty good with a lemon slice.
I'm enjoying some Red Hook IPA (was on sale for $6) after a frustrating time figuring out why the new fans I added for push on my radiator were killing the power. Turned out I accidentally got the wire under the mounting bolt somehow and was grounding out. It's nice now that I have them working, dropped my temperature 10c.

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 04:33:15 »
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 14:38:00 »
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline bienc

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 16:35:29 »
Quote from: megnin;545555
Show Image

Does that taste like absinthe? Because that **** is nasty. Absinthe is like concentrated liquorish flavor. Ugh.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline phillip

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 16:44:19 »
I hate absinthe

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 17:03:22 »
Good absinthe is much different. However you won't be getting it easy unless you are inside Czech Republic since they don't export many of the truly good ones. Good one has some anise taste, but it's not necessarily the primary flavor. A good one is very complex herbal taste, closer to Chartreuse in flavor than Ouzo. You can tell the 'crap' ones apart since there is no herbs in it at all and look like toxic waste made from artificial flavor. All the good ones I tried had 1-2cm of herbs pulp in bottom of bottle and a dark green to almost amber to reddish brown color depending on age since color shifts as the chlorophyll breaks down.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44503[/ATTACH]
I still have one bottle I managed to bring back from Czech on my last visit.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 19:26:03 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:47:16 by davkol »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 19:48:31 »
Well... you do. A lot of them are kept in country, and are made in very small batch as it is. Same goes with your best beers. None of the really great town beers are export either, not even across Czech let alone to the US. High quality small manufacturer have those downfall, but they make up for it in excellence while you are there to enjoy it. Those are some of the things that keep me coming back for visits, along with the food and wonderful people.