Author Topic: MOG vs. Spotify  (Read 4795 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
MOG vs. Spotify
« on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 07:53:51 »
I'm getting an android phone in the next week and need to pick a music service.  Currently, I have Zune Pass which is useless for android phones (can't put their DRM'ed songs on the phone).  I've narrowed it down to MOG or Spotify.  I'll be getting a premium account with whichever service I sign up for.  

Which service is superior in your opinion?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 09:56:30 »
Never heard of MOG but spotify is great. We use it at home haven't signed up for phone use. THey have quite a bit of music though.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 12:39:46 »
Quote from: lightsout714;517749
Never heard of MOG but spotify is great. We use it at home haven't signed up for phone use. THey have quite a bit of music though.

Yeah..I've got a Spotify trial right now and MOGO premium account...don't ask I jumped the gun this morning.  They both have positives and negatives...I'm finding spotify to have a better search engine (allows for adv searches like "label:'century media'").  However, I think MOGO has a little bit better audio quality.  I think I might stick with Spotify for now because MOGO is lacking a windows desktop application (why on earth I have no clue but it does).
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 13:03:26 »
Better sound quality huh. I have been pretty happy with spotify. But I don't have real high end audio equipment.

Offline Findecanor

MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 14:23:24 »
To register with Spotify, you need a Facebook account.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 14:50:28 »
Quote from: Findecanor;518002
To register with Spotify, you need a Facebook account.
This must be something new.
Quote from: ripster;518019
Facebook MADE spotify.

Are you sure about that.

Offline Findecanor

MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 16:43:42 »
Quote from: ripster;518019
Facebook MADE spotify.

You mean that Facebook helped Spotify get big fast in the US? That may be true.
Spotify was already big in Europe.

I am not against integrating with Facebook, or other social networking sites.
The fact that Spotify requires Facebook, that you can not get a Spotify account without a Facebook account is bad.

Offline kryzis

MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 20:41:21 »
Quote from: Findecanor;518146
I am not against integrating with Facebook, or other social networking sites.
The fact that Spotify requires Facebook, that you can not get a Spotify account without a Facebook account is bad.

Agreed. I was going to try it out a couple months ago, but the FB requirement turned me away. :ohwell:

Offline canthonytucci

MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 15:30:22 »
Here's a vote for rdio. I much prefer their interface, rates (we've got a family plan going) and the ability to use a web client if I'm away from my phone/home machine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 15:48:57 »
Quote from: canthonytucci;519830
Here's a vote for rdio. I much prefer their interface, rates (we've got a family plan going) and the ability to use a web client if I'm away from my phone/home machine.

Wow theres a lot of them now.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 15:52:36 »
The Spotify and Facebook promotion must be a new thing, because I didn't have that requirement when I signed up back when limited access was granted to US users.

Splurged on a Spotify Premium subscription late last year after trying out a friend's account.  Music sounds very nice through my headphones (Ultrasone HFI-580) and the difference between the standard stream (160kbps) and the high-quality stream (320kbps) is very noticeable.  I love the Radio "app" that they threw in there, makes music discovery on Spotify much better.  I used to rely on Pandora to give me new music to listen to, but now Spotify does a decent job of finding similar artists and tracks.  The algorithm still needs a little work, but for the most part it works well.

Also love being able to bring my music with me on the road with the mobile app.  Last time I checked, only the iOS devices were able to stream at 320kbps; other platforms are still restricted to 160kbps.  No big deal though, with the sound system I have in the car I can't really tell the difference.

One and a half days of work for unlimited music for a whole year.  That was too good of a price to pass up!
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
MOG vs. Spotify
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 12:34:05 »
Spotify is awesome. It literally stopped me from pirating music, just like how hulu and netflix stopped me from pirating movies, for awhile. $8 seems small but it seems to add up with all the other services that I subscribe for, but I keep it due to convenience. It's really nice to be able to hear a song from a friend or the radio and add the whole artist's album with a single click and have the hassle of purchasing it abstracted away. The only issue I have with it is the same issue I have with hulu and netflix. The library is limited. And I assume that the rights to music is a bit more lenient than movies, but it could be possible that spotify's library doesn't grow quick enough and might lose contracts if they are not able to keep clients satisfied. I guess, in short, what I'm saying is that I really like the idea of spotify, but it might be just a fad.
PBC Poker 40% Cherry MX Blues - Stolen in the stupid CS labs
HHKB Pro 2 Topre OBV - Still kickin