Author Topic: Unicomp shipping to canada  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Raoul

Unicomp shipping to canada
« on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 17:36:03 »
Hi

So as the title says I was interested in getting a unicomp spacesaver. I've been getting outbid/sniped on alot of ebay auctions where the shipping cost is not ludicrous to canada, and if the current 2 auctions I'm watching end up costing too much I'm ready to give up searching thrift stores and classifieds and just get a unicomp and be done with it. I was just wondering how much the shipping/customs cost some people as I havent been able to find much info on that. I don't mind the extra cost, I just would like to know some kind of rough figure I should expect ontop of the keyboard itself.

Thanks

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 19:11:20 »
This would be specific to Canada. I'm sure some of the Canadian members can fill you in though.

There is a minimum value, below which imported goods are not subject to tax. If you are lucky, this could be applicable to you.

Offline Surly73

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 19:57:31 »
Quote from: ch_123;315006

There is a minimum value, below which imported goods are not subject to tax. If you are lucky, this could be applicable to you.

$19.99 on normal goods, $49.99 when marked "gift" (if the customs agent believes it's a gift).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 20:03:33 »
Wow, that's low. Over here, it's something like €100 for regular goods.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 20:05:31 »
I'm pretty sure shipping from Unicomp would be around $20 or so. That's what it costs civilians to ship one to Canada from KY, which is where they are shipping from. And I have to believe they get a better deal on shipping than the average joe.

I'm sure one of the canadian members can narrow it down a bit further, though.

That said, I can possibly help you out. I'll send you a PM about it, though.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 20:06:36 »
I'm sure you could find a US GH member to gift it for you (assuming the two hop shipping is worth the savings on import taxes).

Offline sam113101

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 20:32:10 »
My unicomp spacesaver cost me 120$. 69$ for the keyboard itself (it's 79$ now), 30$ for the shipping (to Quebec), 20$ for customs. Cost more than my das, can you believe it*? I bought my das on ncix, that's why (it's Canadian so no customs).
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline Exoverture

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 01:34:34 »
Are you referring to looking for an IBM Model M for whatever you were looking for on eBay?

I saw a great auction (which I now bought) for an IBM Model M in great condition from Alberta, Canada. It was 55$ shipped. It was up for two days, surprised you didn't see it.

As for taxes, you're about 90% sure to get them from things from the states from vendors. However, every time I've bought from China or Japan, or anywhere else, I've never got dinged on customs/duties. There was one time I got charged $8 for a $260 product... which I believe is not the proper rate (should be more).

My Filco from Armygroup was marked as a gift (but the value was still the right amount - $159), no taxes.

Good luck.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 04:33:39 »
Is NAFTA just for companies or something then? I would have assumed there would be no such thing between the US and Canada.

Yeah, everytime I've gotten anything shipped from a different country its marked as gift. I thought it would cost the shipper more if they didn't do that. Now remembering other threads (generally about shipping to europe), I guess that isn't necessarily the case.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Surly73

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 07:25:01 »
NAFTA has nothing to do with "brokerage" or "tax".  NAFTA is about duty.  Without NAFTA there would also probably be duty fees on top of the tax and brokerage.  

Brokerage fees are where the couriers really screw with you.  Some don't really publish tables of fees and make things up when your item arrives.  Others have tables of brokerage fees based on package value and which tier (speed) of shipping the package is.

The postal service BY FAR has the best brokerage practices.  Brokerage fees are $5 normally and $8 for EMS packages.  These fees are only charged if taxes are charged.  Taxes MAY be charged on any package declared over $19.99 ($49.99 if marked "gift").  

Of course I have seen agents open packages declared at $5 with a $40 invoice/packing slip inside and get assessed the full $40.  Same goes for items they didn't believe were gifts.  I've had EMS-class packages come straight to the door but be followed by an invoice for taxes/brokerage in the mail.  I also had UPS charge me $70 in brokerage and fees to process a $35 used car audio item.  Then they had the nerve to take me to collections claiming I didn't pay it when you MUST pay it to receive your package.  I even showed them a canceled cheque and they persisted.  Can you say "boycott" with me?

UPS and Fedex do have products which "include" brokerage in the shipping cost.  These are usually their premium super-duper express services.  That still doesn't cover the taxes you owe, however.

Of course the customs agents can "selectively enforce" taxation.  Things valued over $19.99 might come through with no fees, or maybe they won't.  I've been asked to pay tax on a $22 item, and I've also had $35 items show up with no fees.  You simply never know.  Your best option is always to ship USPS from US to Canada.  So far it looks like my Filco from PCHome via EMS hasn't been assessed any fees.  They didn't have to let it go, we may simply be lucky.  I won't consider it closed until at least a month has passed and then I'll celebrate :)  The catch is that I cannot assume that every PCHome order will come sailing through with no fees, and the fees can make the difference between a PCHome price/hassle being competitive with something local or not.

As far as I know, Americans don't pay any tax/brokerage on typical items which they receive from outside of country.  As far as I know, they also don't pay any taxes when ordering items out of state.  Here if I order from NCIX in Vancouver I still pay my Ontario HST (13%).  Another way in which the Canadians get screwed financially, presumably to fund our socialized health care.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 March 2011, 07:29:50 by Surly73 »

Offline aaronmhamilton

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 16:12:42 »
They used FedEx™ to ship my Ultra Classic 104 to Toronto, it cost me $48.50 in shipping.

Offline aaronmhamilton

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 16:14:01 »
They used FedEx™ to ship my Ultra Classic 104 to Toronto, it cost me $48.50 in shipping.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 20:50:36 »
Quote from: sam113101;315040
My unicomp spacesaver cost me 120$. 69$ for the keyboard itself (it's 79$ now), 30$ for the shipping (to Quebec), 20$ for customs. Cost more than my das, can you believe it*? I bought my das on ncix, that's why (it's Canadian so no customs).

Pretty much the same here.

You save a little if you buy more than one, which I did :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 22:01:12 »
I'm willing to bounce a keyboard up to you from Unicomp or wherever, if you calculate it to be cheaper that way.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 23:01:59 »
The shipping estimate I got from their site was around $45 to Canada (Quebec). That made me give that idea up.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline elton5354

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 02:21:12 »
Everything's more expensive in Canada...