Author Topic: Wide Mouse with Top Buttons  (Read 7223 times)

Offline CaptainKirk

Wide Mouse with Top Buttons
« on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 12:36:17 »
I use a Logitech G9x based on excellent from some geeks on this forum. I am basically happy with it--I don't know that it's the greatest mouse in the world for me, but it works pretty well. Now, however, a few clicks a day are not working. Which means in a month, every third click probably won't work so I want a new mouse.

I like this one because it has a wide base, which I need, and also the buttons are very much on the top, as opposed to being more in the front, like on some mice. I have tried such and learned that I rest my fingertips on the top and if the buttons are down on the front slope, I can't reach them comfortably.

If you look at the side shot here http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5092 you can see what I mean. I click right about directly next to the scroll wheel. I also want a "normal" scroll wheel, between the buttons. I have tried the Evoluent mouse and it didn't' work for me.

So if there's nothing that looks better, I will buy another one of these, but I would be interested to hear any suggestions. I have no need of any special features--I don't switch modes and I don't play games and I don't need anything unique--just a normal high-quality mouse (with or without wire, I don't care) which is wide and has top-located buttons.

Thanks!

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 13:10:11 »
I suggest giving Razer Deathadder a shot, it's one of the best mouse in comfort and performance.
Logitech G500 is also another great mouse.
But if you have big hands, want a wide mouse and palm grip, go for the Mionix Naos 5000.

You cant go wrong with the Deathadder or G500. Naos 5000 is highly subjective because it's strictly for palm grip only.
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline CaptainKirk

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 14:00:59 »
Interesting. I see a Logitech G9X on sale at Amazon for a good price of $68. Then I found there this wacky Cyborg R.A.T.7, which looks interesting. This review video I found isn't so positive however. The RAT9 is a bit too expensive for my taste, but the RAT7 has a fair price. I did find a better review here and this review also seems to like it. Then this last review says the opposite of the Youtube guy--the review here says the quality is of the parts is very good.

The Razer DeathAdder doesn't look very wide from the pictures there, so I don't think it would be for me.

The Logitech Gaming Mouse G500 looks to me from the pictures there that the buttons may be too far forward--hard to tell. It also doesn't look as wide as the GX9

I don't quite understand the pictures here of the Mionix Naos 5000. It looks like there's different types. but the top extra little buttons look cute. Anyway I'm "claw" style apparently.

I think I should give this RAT mouse a shot.

Thanks.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 15:47:52 »
The nice thing about the G500 is that the divide for the mouse buttons runs about halfway down the mouse, so I wouldn't worry too much about the buttons on it being too far forward. I've had mine for a little over two years now, and it's working just as well as it was the day I got it.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline CaptainKirk

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 13:29:20 »
I ordered the Cyborg R.A.T.7 and it came a week ago (I had a friend bring it overseas to me) and I tried it now and it doesn't work!

The movement is spotty--it jiggles a bit on the screen.

But the worst thing is that the main click is erratic. Even if I leave it plugged into the USB and use my other mouse, it somehow blocks the left click of that mouse. Using the left click of the RAT works every 7th click or so. :(

I'm returning it. :(

EDIT: Too late to return it and actually I see that it clicks just fine on my other PC, which runs Windows. I now found a few blog posts http://matt-linux-log.blogspot.com/2010/10/saitek-cyborg-rat-in-linux.html http://fcns.eu/2011/04/cyborg-rat-7-mouse-under-linux/ and http://kureshii.blogspot.com/2011/03/cyborg-rat-7-in-arch-linux.html which mention specific X configuration required for this mouse. OK, I will give thos a try...
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 February 2012, 14:19:00 by CaptainKirk »

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:24:58 »
That stinks.  I did have problems with my RAT7 on hard mouse pads, though.  I had to use black cloth.  Also, I've heard that some people have problems if they use speakers with a lot of bass, since the sensor can be very sensitive to those vibrations.  I was able to find a perfect setup for me to avoid all the issues (except LOD).
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline zzuper

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 20:39:40 »
is it possible there are only three mice on the market the functions properly?     deathadder, abyssus and logitech g400(second version with snapto disabled)

how can this be?     : S

Offline Isoth

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 21:52:54 »
CM Storm Spawn; you can reprogram any of the buttons to whatever you like.  Plus, the mouse is pretty wide (probably about the same width as the g9x).