Author Topic: $400 IPS 2560x1440 Monitor - Glossy = No AG Coating  (Read 58668 times)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
Re: $400 IPS 2560x1440 Monitor - Glossy = No AG Coating
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 05:21:46 »
Yeah, my main issue with all the korean monitors is the lack of 16:10.

The apple cinema Display that features the same panel has a nice glass front, some USB ports, and even has a fan inside it.
Yuck

Regarding the flickering: The only way that I know for that to happen is because of the backlight flickering. It happens when the backlight is set too low and there is bad PWM control on it. Especially "green" features which, in order to save energy, turns down the backlight waaaay down instead of making the LCD crystals block more light in order to achieve deeper blacks. I would suggest you turn of any energy saving features and similar and see if it helps.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 09:19:55 »
You really shouldn't see LCD refresh flicker... but you MIGHT be seeing the back light flicker.  Newer MBPs are all LED tho, right?  Have you fiddled with the brightness to see if the flicker changes speed?  :)
Yeah, my main issue with all the korean monitors is the lack of 16:10.

The apple cinema Display that features the same panel has a nice glass front, some USB ports, and even has a fan inside it.
Yuck

Regarding the flickering: The only way that I know for that to happen is because of the backlight flickering. It happens when the backlight is set too low and there is bad PWM control on it. Especially "green" features which, in order to save energy, turns down the backlight waaaay down instead of making the LCD crystals block more light in order to achieve deeper blacks. I would suggest you turn of any energy saving features and similar and see if it helps.
Given how easy it is to do PWM at higher frequencies (with a shorter pulse width/ duty cycle) I'm surprised they'd end up with a value so low. I had thought it had something to do with the panel, but backlighting makes a lot of sense. The MBP displays (glossy, from 2010 or so -onwards) might not have been at their birghtest setting. I'll look at it next time I get to work on one.

I guess I sort-of assumed backlighting wouldn't be an issue. My guess was the panel was doing something weird, like quickly (but not fast enough!) rotating the pixels between two states (Dithering?) that I could see.

That said, I am still very much considering one of these, so if anyone has had issues with the backlight flickering please Pm me or post about it here.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2013, 09:22:04 by dorkvader »

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #302 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 10:25:34 »
27" Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS LED Monitor w/ USB 3.0 Hub $629 + Free Shipping

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/87864/dell-small-business-27-dell-u2713hm-2560x1440-ips-led-monitor-w-usb-3.0-hub
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!