I recently purchased the black widow ultimate as my first mechanical keyboard, and while i will admit that it may not be the best keyboard i do believe that most reviews are very biased either towards razer or against razer, i myself have never purchased another razer product so i'm pretty neutral and i decided to make my first post and heck why not make it a review.
First off ill list the pros:
- the keyboard is quite heavy which prevents it from moving around and the feel of the board feels solid, i'm not talking about internally but at least from holding the keyboard it feels like everything was put together nice and tight.
- keycaps have almost no wiggle
- the wire is quite thick and braided so no knotting nor will it easily break.
- F1-F8 server as media player buttons when hitting the fn key, took up no extra space and is convenient
- LED's can get pretty bright which is great.
- Each row of keys has a different sound, the number line will sound different than the keys at the bottom like z through m, and this is for every row
- glossiness is usually a known issue because of fingerprints (oddly enough, i purchased the dragon age edition because it was on sale for about $89 and then another 10 dollar mail in rebate and i don't know why i think it may be because there's a design and its not quite as glossy as the regular it either doesn't get fingerprints or there just not noticeable at all)
- Macro keys on the side throw off your hand placement that i had to remove the keycaps and thankfully this solved that problem, but it makes the board slightly larger than it would have to be.
- F keys are shifted to the side and may be confusing at first but i quickly adjusted to it
------------ Very important con, this board can be hit or miss which is an issue but a review should not be based on a defected board, my brother first ordered the board and the R key was not responding, i believe it was disabled in the software and he never checked it but regardless, some people receive a defected board and write an angry review. ---------------
My board fortunately had no hardware issues or keys touching but please do not write a review for any product when it has a defect, unless it happens with every 9 out of 10 boards then please say something about it but when you write about a defect you are ignoring the product itself and listing faults that are not supposed to be there, pretty much if the company recognizes it as an issue and will fix it for you, do not base a review off of it!!NKRO IS OVERRATED
While i do believe that NKRO is something that pretty much every keyboard should have and especially if its mechanical, i only believe that because it more of a why not type of thing. I play lots of games (starcraft, counter strike 1.6 and source, dota series, battlefield 3 and diablo) and type a lot aswell and i have never had a problem with keys not registering, the only game i can think of that nkro would be good is in a game like dj max. Nobody i know has ever complained of ghosting keys and the only place that might even happen would be around gaming keys like the wasd area, so if somebody could actually provide me a reason why NKRO is actually needed and not preferred please list it. I personally do not need it and nor have i ever needed NKRO. An example that i can think of is like cars coming with spare tires, not everyone is gonna end up needing the spare tire but some people will, however even though not everyone will definitely need a spare every car should still come with it as a just in case. NKRO is not needed by everybody but its something that all keyboards should come with, thats my opinion atleast.
this i my only mechanical keyboard aside from typing on the Meka G1at compusa but that was only briefly, so i tried not to compare it to other keyboards as much as possible, if there is anything you believe is wrong please comment and i will comment back.
Overall i love the board and i would recommend it to someone if they want back lighting, i know about 6 people with it also and they all like it. once you get a board that is fully functioning i believe its fine and seems like a solid keyboard
pictures with descriptions
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44132[/ATTACH]
as you can see the tabs look rather weak and one end of it is extremely thin, from the pictures atleast, the ones from wasd seem thicker but im not sure
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44134[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44133[/ATTACH]
the middle pad indeed touches the table, and im not pressing down or putting weight on the keyboard
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44135[/ATTACH]
the front of the keyboard protrudes a bit further from the board so it may seem like the middle is higher but its not, if you look at the keys they are all leveled
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44136[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44137[/ATTACH]
the same spot on the cable bent and then stretched out again, easily went straight again
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44138[/ATTACH]
led's on the macro keys
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44139[/ATTACH]
full board with leds on (dont know if you would notice anyways but the gloss is slightly different and theres no fingerprints, im guessing its because theres design so it hides the prints and dust but im not sure)http://imgur.com/a/5zpDb#6
full album, some extra photos