Author Topic: PCB mounted keyboards  (Read 10672 times)

Offline Aranair

• Software Engineer @ PocketMath
    • Tech blog
PCB mounted keyboards
« on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 05:33:36 »
Having tried on the Poker which is of course a PCB mounted keyboard, ODDLY, I seem to like the feeling of cherry browns on these more than on my Filcos.
(yes, in spite of the fact that the keys have abit more variance in actuation force/sensations AND costar stabilizers on some keys)

So anyways, anyone knows if there are any keyboards with the specifications below?
PCB Mounted
Cherry mx switches and cherry stabilizers.
Tenkeyless or compact.
Doesn't cost my entire house..

(PS: I think I'm just in a gear lust mode again, so I better find one of these cheap otherwise I might end up trying my luck with a topre again :peep:)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2012, 05:36:44 by Aranair »

Present  : HHKB Pro 2 Type-S White | HHKB Pro 2 White Blank | Ergodox EZ
Past      :  Poker 2 Brown | Black Widow Ultimate Blue | Filco TKL Brown

Offline Surly73

PCB mounted keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 07:18:05 »
Quote from: Aranair;559043
Having tried on the Poker which is of course a PCB mounted keyboard, ODDLY, I seem to like the feeling of cherry browns on these more than on my Filcos.
(yes, in spite of the fact that the keys have abit more variance in actuation force/sensations AND costar stabilizers on some keys)

I have to say, I put a lot of miles on PCB-mounted Cherry black boards (WYSE 99GT, Amiga 2000, other Wyse terminals) before I knew much about keyboards.  I knew I liked them, but didn't know just why.  I also like something about the PCB versions - they have a completely different feel and sound compared to all of the plate-mounted gear.  You're not alone in that assessment.

Offline Human

PCB mounted keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 07:51:44 »
Quote from: Aranair;559043

So anyways, anyone knows if there are any keyboards with the specifications below?
PCB Mounted
Cherry mx switches and cherry stabilizers.
Tenkeyless or compact.
Doesn't cost my entire house..

(PS: I think I'm just in a gear lust mode again, so I better find one of these cheap otherwise I might end up trying my luck with a topre again :peep:)

Neo Zelia 87(check out Keyboardlover's subforums for the review).
It should be the only PCB mounted wireless topless TKL with predrilled LED holes around here, LOL...

Offline itlnstln

PCB mounted keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 07:55:41 »
Cherry G80-18xx.  Check PCHome.

In fact: http://global.pchome.com.tw/DCAH21-A54573819 <- this is for Cherry reds, but they also carry browns and others.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2012, 07:58:03 by itlnstln »

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
PCB mounted keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 10:02:25 »
thanks for the suggestions guys :D

Neo Zelia is pretty cheap if I ship it from Taobao heh probably 100 usd odd..

The cherry G80-18xxs looks abit odd though @@ the numpad and the keys ontop are just wayyy cluttered imo lol.

I'll probably check out Neo Zelia and see if there are good reviews (and always on a lookout for RF of course :P)

Offline Human

PCB mounted keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 11:58:33 »
Quote from: Aranair;559211
thanks for the suggestions guys :D

Neo Zelia is pretty cheap if I ship it from Taobao heh probably 100 usd odd..

The cherry G80-18xxs looks abit odd though @@ the numpad and the keys ontop are just wayyy cluttered imo lol.

I'll probably check out Neo Zelia and see if there are good reviews (and always on a lookout for RF of course :P)

Not much review around. The only one available in English I think is the one by Keyboardlover at his subforum. Though, sadly his wireless fail to function, so no much details too.

Reviews, comments and pictures from China's forums do look quite convincing(the PCB and the solder are clean and fit).

The 2 major flaws for the board is that:
1. semi-matured wireless: most claimed that the wireless sucks and fail big time, therefore, they now come out with V2.0 of the new wireless receiver, not sure if anything is improved though.
2. no elevated feet: the keyboard doesn't having elevated feet, should not be a problem to me but may be a problem to some people here, not sure.

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
PCB mounted keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 20:25:26 »
Quote from: Human;559356
Not much review around. The only one available in English I think is the one by Keyboardlover at his subforum. Though, sadly his wireless fail to function, so no much details too.

Reviews, comments and pictures from China's forums do look quite convincing(the PCB and the solder are clean and fit).

The 2 major flaws for the board is that:
1. semi-matured wireless: most claimed that the wireless sucks and fail big time, therefore, they now come out with V2.0 of the new wireless receiver, not sure if anything is improved though.
2. no elevated feet: the keyboard doesn't having elevated feet, should not be a problem to me but may be a problem to some people here, not sure.

It looks pretty alright too, no excessive branding and stuff... Not to mention, it seems the entire taobao is out of stock except for cherry blacks lol.

I kind of need elevated feets (short ones0 but I can just put some small rubber pads to act as feet I guess. (that's what im doing on my poker)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: PCB mounted keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 21:54:06 »
lol sorry to necro this thread.

But I recently tried my g/f's Race II again and man I really like how comfortable PCB mount keyboard feels.

This made me wonder, are there still any other good PCB mount keyboard out there?  As I've mentioned so far I really like Vortex Race II.

Ideally I prefer full size boards, what do you guys think about Cherry MX Board 2.0?  http://www.ncix.com/detail/cherry-g80-3800-red-switch-mx-board-26-75699.htm

As far as I know MX Board 3.0 is plate mount.

This reminds me I think I also like how HHKB feels over other Topre boards, maybe I do like the softer feels in keyboards.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 03:05:53 »

But I recently tried my g/f's Race II again and man I really like how comfortable PCB mount keyboard feels.

This made me wonder, are there still any other good PCB mount keyboard out there?  As I've mentioned so far I really like Vortex Race II.

Ideally I prefer full size boards, what do you guys think about Cherry MX Board 2.0?  http://www.ncix.com/detail/cherry-g80-3800-red-switch-mx-board-26-75699.htm

This reminds me I think I also like how HHKB feels over other Topre boards, maybe I do like the softer feels in keyboards.  :thumb:

Cherry G80-3000 is PCB mount full size. I would hesitate to call it "good", though. I would at the very least install some kind of backplate to stiffen them up, the whole PCB flexes as you type and IMHO it feels cheap despite the fact that they have PBT keycaps (thin, with lasered legends).

Here is a review of the MX 2.0: http://deskthority.net/review-f45/cherry-g80-3800-mx-board-2-0-t2256.html

The best PCB mounted board I've typed on is my KBT Pure. Feels MUCH better than the Cherry boards. It may have something to do with the thicker, high quality PCB and smaller size / better support reducing the flex of the board. That said, I've installed a plate on it and I like it even more now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 03:08:02 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 05:41:40 »
I can't use certain keycaps with plate mounted boards or it hurts my fingertips spamming in Osu. I have found my ergoclear poker to be quite 'soft' feeling and very comfy. I type very heavy and usually use ALPS or other heavy switch. Kind of surprising there aren't more topics on PCB vs plate.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 05:45:49 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:42:13 »
Asides from some customs that allow PCB mount, we still have the same list of PCB mount boards from years ago. It really is quite sad there are so few options.
If you can do close to full size, the Plum 96 would be a good choice. Otherwise if you want Cherry I suggest to go for a G80-3494 or track down an old Das II so you don't get stuck with only 2KRO. Or, if you don't mind no Windows key something older then grab a G80-1000 model.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 05:22:47 »

You are NOT alone. I like browns and clears MORE on pcb mount. I like the flex/give.

Is this really how you'd compare a HHKB to Realforce? I've been on a RF before and perhaps the lesser thock from the plastic case/plate on the HHKB would be to my liking.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 22:48:45 »
Here is a review of the MX 2.0: http://deskthority.net/review-f45/cherry-g80-3800-mx-board-2-0-t2256.html

The best PCB mounted board I've typed on is my KBT Pure. Feels MUCH better than the Cherry boards. It may have something to do with the thicker, high quality PCB and smaller size / better support reducing the flex of the board. That said, I've installed a plate on it and I like it even more now.

Sweet !  Thanks for posting the review.  Haha though the review doesn't seem very favourable to this model.

Yeah I suspect this is probably also why KBT Race feels nice too, they're both tiny boards which might lesson the wobble / flex.

Though if you install a plate on it, wouldn't that defeat the point of hunting for a PCB mount board?  I thought the whole point of PCB mount is that it feels softer and more forgiving?

Asides from some customs that allow PCB mount, we still have the same list of PCB mount boards from years ago. It really is quite sad there are so few options.
If you can do close to full size, the Plum 96 would be a good choice. Otherwise if you want Cherry I suggest to go for a G80-3494 or track down an old Das II so you don't get stuck with only 2KRO. Or, if you don't mind no Windows key something older then grab a G80-1000 model.

Hmmmm the easiest I can find is G80-3000 from this site for about $150 US, and didn't realize the white version come with PBT keycaps and the black version come with POM.

White Version
http://global.pchome.com.tw/prod/DCAH0X-A49819452?q=/S/DCAH21

Black Version
http://global.pchome.com.tw/prod/DCAH0X-A49819452?q=/S/DCAH21

How would you comment on the qualities on these?  And it says it comes with USB/PS2 so if I use PS2 then I can have NKRO.  ;)

lol I feel like I'm going in circle, just when I thought I was done with Cherry MX and moving towards Topre, now I found more reasons to dig into older Cherry boards.

You are NOT alone. I like browns and clears MORE on pcb mount. I like the flex/give.

Is this really how you'd compare a HHKB to Realforce? I've been on a RF before and perhaps the lesser thock from the plastic case/plate on the HHKB would be to my liking.

I think HHKB's case mount feels "softer" than Realforce's plate mount.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 06:21:58 »

Uggghhh. Why did you have to explain it like this? I may finally have to get a HHKB.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 10:47:12 »
I think it's too expensive for 3000. You can get them in US for less but as I said those are only 2KRO. For 6KRO/NKRO you need to get 349* or 3600 model in 3000 style. If you don't mind 1800 type you can go for 186* model for 6KRO/NKRO. Or, if you don't mind a few layout quirk you can get bargain used 8200 model on ebay which also come with doubleshot.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 10:50:18 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 23:34:49 »
Actually come to think about it, I've never owned a keyboard with the style of G80-1800.

So maybe like you said I should try to look for models with G80-186x.  Just off my head I can find the black one on some sites, though I kind of want to hunt down a white one.

But I'm not in any rush (spent too much money lately) so maybe I'll slowly look for it haha.  :D

Thanks Ivan !

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 00:35:49 »

Uggghhh. Why did you have to explain it like this? I may finally have to get a HHKB.

Id have to disagree. And I feel like I'm the only one that feels this way so maybe I'm wrong but... I find hhkb switches to be stiffer and less smooth that RF 45/55g. I can rest my fingers on my hhkb and almost never activate a key. Cant do that on a 45g rf without a harsh bottom out. 55g feels smooth from start to finish though. Buttery smooth.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.