Author Topic: Mechanical keyboard with multimedia buttons?  (Read 16030 times)

Offline Silikone

Mechanical keyboard with multimedia buttons?
« on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 13:11:37 »
I've been looking around for mechanical keyboards that suit my needs. So far, most of the high-end keyboards seem identical to me, including Das, Filco, Leopold, etc. What I haven't seen however is a similar keyboard with extra shortcut buttons such as volume and calculator. It isn't critical for me to get these, but for the price range, I'd prefer not to make any compromises.
Despite living in the EU, I want a US layout as I rarely type in my native language. This makes it hard for me to avoid wasting money on shipment. Das is available to me without much hassle, but at a whopping 130 euro price tag.
Recommendations are appreciated.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 13:23:21 »
The Cooler Master Storm series has a few multimedia buttons and is affordably priced:  http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/

No calculator, but you could always create a shortcut combo for it (I use Ctrl+Alt+C for the calculator).

Also if you are willing to try a smaller form-factor, the KBC Poker has volume control, calculator, and web browser keys in it's second layer.

Here's a pic:   [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48263[/ATTACH]

Offline Silikone

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 13:47:01 »
Quote from: WRXChris;575342
The Cooler Master Storm series has a few multimedia buttons and is affordably priced:  http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/

No calculator, but you could always create a shortcut combo for it (I use Ctrl+Alt+C for the calculator).

Also if you are willing to try a smaller form-factor, the KBC Poker has volume control, calculator, and web browser keys in it's second layer.

Here's a pic:   (Attachment Link) 48263[/ATTACH]

The CM definitely carry decent price tags, but overall, I wouldn't consider them.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 14:00:29 »
ducky?  1008 series has four control buttons, 9008 series (some models) supports those plus Fn-Function keys to control a media player.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline fstop

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 14:01:26 »
Quote from: Silikone;575374
The CM definitely carry decent price tags, but overall, I wouldn't consider them.

Why not? They're well regarded on these forums as a Filco clone with a lower price tag but added branding.

My CM Storm is my main day to day driver. And I have a filco and realforce. It has decent media keys (no calculator) that the OP is looking for. I wouldn't hesistate to recommend one.
CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds
CM Storm Quickfire MX Blues
Filco Majestouch-2  MX Browns
RealForce 87uw uniform 45g

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 14:06:37 »
Quote from: fstop;575385
Why not? They're well regarded on these forums as a Filco clone with a lower price tag but added branding.

My CM Storm is my main day to day driver. And I have a filco and realforce. It has decent media keys (no calculator) that the OP is looking for. I wouldn't hesistate to recommend one.

The op is the one that said he didn't want one of those hideous things! :rofl:
I hate everything.

Offline fstop

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 14:09:01 »
I understand that, that's why I'm asking why not. Just curious to see what he doesn't like about them to maybe convince him otherwise. I think they're great keyboards.

And I meant original post by OP, not original poster which I guess is confusing. The OP (original post) details media keys the storm has.
CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds
CM Storm Quickfire MX Blues
Filco Majestouch-2  MX Browns
RealForce 87uw uniform 45g

Offline Silikone

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 15:25:02 »
Quote from: fstop;575394
I understand that, that's why I'm asking why not. Just curious to see what he doesn't like about them to maybe convince him otherwise. I think they're great keyboards.

Function keys belong to laptops and tiny keyboards. On a full desktop keyboard, I wouldn't want to press that pesky Fn button each time. I also need PS/2 adapter support for full NKRO and compatibility with old retro rigs.

Offline suprsmo

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 20:22:39 »
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=897

done.

they have media keys, no calculator though.
Poker
QFR

Offline Dafojk

Re: Mechanical keyboard with multimedia buttons?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 08:56:58 »
I know this thread is a bit old, but like the OP I also am looking for a mechanical keyboard with discrete media buttons (play, forward, rewind, pause, mute, volume+-).

Some suggestion were made but all with the "fn" key-shortcut. Thats not it :)

So if anyone know anything please post this here, or maybe just rumors of a new product like this to be launched in the future? Then we would have something to look forward to.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 00:48:53 »
My cherry G80-8113 has a **** row of blank keycaps above the function row. I use it for volume control, cut, copy, paste, extra mouse buttons, etc. The G80-8200 also has programmable keys (though no trackpad).

I cut out little pieces of paper and added legends to them.

I plan to use the extra keys on my F-122 in a similar fashion, once I get it modded and finished.

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 01:16:03 »
My Ducky Shine has multimedia keys (mute, vol up, vol dn, play, stop, prev, next) as well as a calculator key, computer key, email key, and a web page key. it also contains...turbo?... keys (1x 2x 3x 4x). AND light up features with 4 light up modes with 5 levels of brightness. Along with its solid build quality, I'd say its a good bang for your buck. ;D

or if you really want ones without using fn (to each their own I guess), the only ones I can think of are the Corsair k60 and k90 both of which have dedicated media keys.
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Mechanical keyboard with multimedia buttons?
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 04:20:24 »
I've been looking around for mechanical keyboards that suit my needs. So far, most of the high-end keyboards seem identical to me, including Das, Filco, Leopold, etc. What I haven't seen however is a similar keyboard with extra shortcut buttons such as volume and calculator. It isn't critical for me to get these, but for the price range, I'd prefer not to make any compromises.
Despite living in the EU, I want a US layout as I rarely type in my native language. This makes it hard for me to avoid wasting money on shipment. Das is available to me without much hassle, but at a whopping 130 euro price tag.
Recommendations are appreciated.
go with a consir k90 though i know its npt mull mechanical it does have eveything your asking for and more

Offline Dafojk

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 16:12:45 »
@ Sinnz: The Ducky looks very very nice, had it only media keys I would get that one no hesitation. Hope for an updated version of that and keeping an eye out.

@ Siliknone: Corsair k90 no thank you i have an office/living room not a tivoli :)

So to bump: still looking for the great solution. Post here please if you see or hear anything.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 16:31:58 »
Many keyboards will have the media keys in some fashion or another, though very few will have dedicated media keys. 

If you like MX Browns and don't mind spending a fair amount, Logitech has the new G710 which has dedicated media keys.  Sadly, they're above the numpad but they're there.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 16:39:09 »
CM Storm Trigger is solid and has a column of macro keys. Maybe you could use them as multimedia keys.

However, I think programmable keypad (or AHK/MacroHID/Pystromo/whatever) is your best friend. I have an A4Tech G100 (very cheap rubber dome) for that purpose.

Offline Dafojk

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 11:16:01 »
Found one with volume controls, this would be perfect for me:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=206

No Danish layout so it's not for me yet. But for anyone who was searching and can use UK layout here it is.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 11:34:37 »
^ Still has a fn key.... Ill never understand the hate on them. Maybe because i have big hands, it doesnt bother me? Since i really only need one hand to hit fn and whatever media key... On my LOVELY qfr.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 11:39:28 »
space bar start stop..

left right is +/- 15sec

ctrl left right is +/- 3min

shift left right is +/- 10min

these are all the keys I need..

I haven't even used the seek bar in years....