Author Topic: I have a ducky shine with all keycaps removed. How do I clean in between the caps?  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Moleboy

I uhhh, a few weeks ago spilled a very small amount of hot chocolate in between the keys. I ran out of compressed air, but even with it, I couldn't clean some of the stickier stuff. I'm trying to clean it out thoroughly, and I can take a picture, it isn't terribly gross since I already once-overed it...but any recommendations?

Offline turtle

your ducky should have came with a keycap puller... this way you can get to the switches a lot easier.. hope this helps

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
your ducky should have came with a keycap puller... this way you can get to the switches a lot easier.. hope this helps

M'dear, he already has all the caps removed, as per the title  :p :p :p

I uhhh, a few weeks ago spilled a very small amount of hot chocolate in between the keys. I ran out of compressed air, but even with it, I couldn't clean some of the stickier stuff. I'm trying to clean it out thoroughly, and I can take a picture, it isn't terribly gross since I already once-overed it...but any recommendations?

If its a very small amount of stuff, I suppose you can take a cotton swab and work at it slowly......

Offline turtle

Sorry, too early in the morning for me. What you need to do is remove the cherry switches.. In order to do that you either need a flathead screwdriver or binder clips. There 2 clips on each side that you carefully losen to pull it out. Here is a clip on how to remove it.
GL

Offline pasph

The ducky shine is pcb mounted?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline turtle

yea your right >.< your gonna have to desolder the board to get the switches out.

Offline firebt

yea your right >.< your gonna have to desolder the board to get the switches out.

PCB mounted is fine, its plate-mounted that's the issue.  On the worse note, your Ducky Shine (mine as well) is dual PCB plate-mounted.  That means that it does have pins and also must be desoldered to remove.  There should be a video online of someone disassembling their Ducky YoTD so check that out.  One thing is that with the newer ones, they put a sticker over one of the holes to get access to screw so you void your warranty, but that's only good for a year anyway. 

If you plan to go this route, make sure to pick up a decent soldering iron (Weller is a great brand), good electronic solder that's thin (less heat transfer to other heat sensitive parts), and also a good desoldering iron.  I've heard the radioshack ones are decent, they are about $15, but you can always spring for a $200+ one with an electronic vacuum pump lol.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:18:49 by firebt »