Author Topic: Time for first post: Ultra Classic USB "resets connection"  (Read 1265 times)

Offline peterpop

Time for first post: Ultra Classic USB "resets connection"
« on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 03:52:48 »
Hi y'all

I recently bought a Unicomp keyboard because of all the rave reviews I read everywhere.

The last couple of days I have experienced some strange and annoying behavior: It happens seemingly arbitrarily that Windows (Ultimate 7 x64) plays that delightful "ding dong" sound when a USB device is reconnected to the PC. When that happens the keyboard is unresponsive and the three LEDs on the keyboard blinks a little sequence. After a few seconds the keyboard is alive again. Only to repeat a little while later.

I suspect that it's USB power related but I'm 100% not sure. To investigate I have tried to switch USB port and computer (with XP Pro x86) but to no avail. A minute ago I wanted to record a video of it but to do that I plugged it back into my main PC to a powered USB hub and now it seems to be gone.

Is there a known issue with these keyboards that anybody knows of?

/Peter

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 20:13:51 »
I havent heard of such an issue with the Unicomp boards, stick around and see if someone have a fix for it, if not you'll have to call up Unicomp and follow up with them.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline peterpop

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 02:02:34 »
I think the root cause has something to do with Window$. After plugging it into a laptop running Ubuntu I haven't yet experienced it. The LED sequence apparently is some kind of keyboard self-check because the keyboard also does it when the laptop is booted and power is applied to the USB ports.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 21:24:01 »
do you experience this will all of your USB plugs on the mobo, if you havent tried this, then try different usp ports.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
  • Hello Baton Rouge
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 16:27:15 »
There is some issue with certain USB peripherals and Windows 64-bit. The CST lasertrack had a problem whereby you had to plug it in after Windows had booted in order for it to work (they eventually sent out new controllers for those affected)

I'd try and verify this behaviour on another Windows 7 64-bit machine and ringing Unicomp about it.

Offline peterpop

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 10:57:49 »
It was a faulty controller board. I got my replacement board today and the keyboard is working again. But, damn! mounting that board is an exercise in frustration!

Anyway, I believe that the capacitor (I'm guessing) in C17 in the image has somehow deserted the board. In my replacement board it's there. Now I would like to know what kind it is, so I can try to put a new one in it's place and have a working spare controller.

Unfortunately I'm not able to provide better pictures. This is as close as my current camera and lens will take me.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50224[/ATTACH]

Offline dorkvader

• * Moderator Supreme
  • ipse se nihil scire id unum sciat
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 22:07:53 »
It's probably only a couple of puffs, so most capacitors in that same form-factor should make it work. Even bridging it could easily solve things.

Hmm, It also occurs to me that the PCB might support USB and PS2. I wonder if unicomp will sell me a cable? Either way, I should be able to easily convert mine to a "proper" standard.
"As I fear not a child with a weapon he cannot lift, I will never fear the mind of  a man who does not think."