Author Topic: Just bought my first model M terminal keyboards (122 keys), comments and ideas?  (Read 3563 times)

Offline CampbellSoup

About a week ago I thought that I would really like to buy a 122-key keyboard.  I primarily use linux operating systems so I would like to make use of some of the extra keys.  Later in the week I found two for sale at a fairly low price in a city I was driving through (so no shipping... at 6-7lbs each, YAY!) so I grabbed them.  I suspect the reason that they are so inexpensive is that they don't use PS/2 interfaces, fortunately I am a fan of digital hardware design so I am hoping to roll some converters to USB HID.  I am also hoping to do some physical modification to the case... just ideas for now.  I would love to hear what others have done with these monster keyboards!

Below are some pictures and what little I know about these boards.  I would appreciate any historical or technical details that others could provide.  When I went to buy these boards I looked for the PNs and could only find some details, is there a list anywhere that contains a full list of IBM model M PNs?

Both keyboards have the same legend except that the first has F keys while the second has CMD keys.
2648-0

This model uses an RJ45 connector, not an SSK. 
2650-1

The sticker seems rather unofficial on the bottom of this board.  This model uses an AT connector I believe.
2652-2

Offline wcass

this is what i did to mine.
  • bolt mod
  • chop job on case
  • paint job
  • move navigation keys to top right
  • media keys on left
  • caps lock LED under caps lock key
  • gray keys (ANSI layout)
  • Soarer's adapter is embedded in the case
  • removable USB cable (via locking RJ45 jack in case)
2655-0

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
I dyed my keys with RIT Dye. It looks very nice, the modifiers at ever so slightly darker giving the board a look that doesn't look like you just painted the keys. Dyeing the keys was super simple too. I used a strainer and a pot on the stove (easiest on a gas stove), of which i did mine on an electric stove, so it /can/ be done... Just sucks for temperature control. I also added some salt to supposedly help the dye adhere better. PM me if you'd like help with it. I have yet to bolt mod, but I have embedded Soarer's adapter as well. Super nice board, congrats on the local pickup.

Offline mich

I was too lazy to do anything fancy so I've just connected it directly to PS/2 and now it's my main keyboard.

Offline CampbellSoup

paint job
I really like your paint job.  What type of paint did you use to achieve your result?

I dyed my keys with RIT Dye. It looks very nice, the modifiers at ever so slightly darker giving the board a look that doesn't look like you just painted the keys. Dyeing the keys was super simple too. I used a strainer and a pot on the stove (easiest on a gas stove), of which i did mine on an electric stove, so it /can/ be done... Just sucks for temperature control. I also added some salt to supposedly help the dye adhere better. PM me if you'd like help with it. I have yet to bolt mod, but I have embedded Soarer's adapter as well. Super nice board, congrats on the local pickup.
I have used the RIT dye method on my Unicomp Customizer and was very pleased with the results.  In that case I was using blank keycaps.  Did yours have legends on them?  If so how did the lettering handle the dye?  Do you have any pictures?

Offline wcass

The paint i used is:
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

shipping cost on this is high because of regulations.

most auto parts stores carry some colors. some might order it for you from their suppliers and not charge you too much. i phoned up all of the local auto parts stores to see if any of them had the blue (HVP102) and eventually found one that had it in stock. i think it was like $6

I RIT died the keys for the keyboard in my avitar well over a year ago and they still look great. the ledgends are black and the key color is very deap red - but the keys are easily readable provided there is some light.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 August 2012, 11:16:43 by wcass »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
I will have pictures soon from my boss. He is a grand photographer, but they follow Wcass's description as they are the same color. They are very deep red and easily legible.

Offline poxeclipse

• Hit me with music ... yes, me friend
This is inspiring. I got a Model M terminal, 1395162, made in 1995, mainly for the ANSI key caps. Now, the board is so nice, I was thinking to use it. It looks and feels exactly as my SSK. It has a RJ45 connector and I don't know the pinout yet.
The place were I found it has a box with 20+ IBM terminals, all Model M. I was looking for a Model F, after being seduced by the F AT I found a few days before. This is how I got it.

PS. And it was free. The guys in this shop recycle computers, but they don't care about keyboards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 August 2012, 18:52:25 by poxeclipse »