Author Topic: Poker DIY kit - EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE AT GEEKHACK ! ! !  (Read 80449 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Poker DIY kit - EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE AT GEEKHACK ! ! !
« Reply #300 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 02:18:09 »
I wouldnt mind building one but price seems steep compared to just buying one.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #301 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 02:36:56 »
Buying a normal poker and a plate from Beast's GB on poker plates will come out much cheaper, and you also get to keep the switches that came with the original poker.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #302 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 11:41:28 »
This started long before Beast's run... it was supposed to END long before that too.  Vortex really pooched it tho.

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #303 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 11:53:41 »
Buying a normal poker and a plate from Beast's GB on poker plates will come out much cheaper, and you also get to keep the switches that came with the original poker.

Kind of but not really:

Poker = $100
Alum Case (treb) = $120
Plate = $11

That = $231 + shipping of those 3 items

This kit with switches = $257 + shipping

I think it would be around the same final cost, or a bit cheaper to do the DIY kit depending on what switch you like/if you can get it with the poker.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #304 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 12:04:03 »
I guess I was more after just the PCB. Is that an option?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #305 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 12:31:40 »
I guess I was more after just the PCB. Is that an option?

I don't think it was an option. Plus I'm almost positive that this is closed since they are/are close to being in iMavs hands
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #306 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 15:11:50 »
Bummer.. :/

Offline metafour

« Reply #307 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 20:47:46 »
Has anyone received their stuff yet? I paid for shipping over a week ago and my plates haven't arrived.

Offline rtos

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 08:13:13 »
Same here.  Paid for shipping a couple of weeks ago, but haven't received anything yet.

Offline Wibox

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 21:09:31 »
Same case here. I was hoping iMav would have posted pics of the received goods.
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline metafour

« Reply #310 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 21:01:34 »
WFD posted about Vortex burning iMav in this thread:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38164.msg740380#msg740380

And yet I have heard nothing about my plates which I was invoiced for the shipping for a while ago. It's time for an update from iMav on this. He's certainly been posting stuff and even has taken part in the GH secret santa according to his activity. I hate to be a **** here but this behavior is unacceptable. I would like to have some solid information on what is going on.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #311 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 22:57:58 »
iMav has always been very reliable, so I am sure this waiting will be over soon.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2012, 23:41:20 by dorkvader »

Offline rtos

« Reply #312 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 20:22:17 »
Dorkvader is right - I just received my kit.  I had ordered the complete kit, and it all appears to be in order. Thanks to iMav and GH for this opportunity.  Now I just need to find the time to build it! 

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #313 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 20:38:33 »
Apparently my plate arrived today, but unfortunately at my old address :(  Luckily my parents live there, so I'll get it eventually!  (I thought I gave you my new address when I paid for shipping, but apparently not, whoops!)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #314 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 23:15:38 »
Got my stuff today.
Russ

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #315 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 23:02:49 »
Haha...OMG you suck Vortex!  Anyone else notice that the extra standoff in the center of the aluminum case (for the Pure I would guess) sits right where the diode for the G key is on the PCB?
Russ

Offline Wibox

« Reply #316 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 23:54:01 »
Got mine today. Very nice plate and nice case. Only thing I am missing is screws? No biggie I can buy some.
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #317 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 10:49:56 »
Mine has no screws neither. Did we ever figure out what size is needed?

Mine case is a mess. There is powdercoating in the holes, the coating is chipped around one of the bosses and the center boss needs ground down, as stated above.

John

Offline rtos

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 12:47:31 »
I've just finished putting together the Poker (and am typing on it now).  Very nice solid feel - even more so than my Leopold TKL.  I will probably add o-rings since I'm used to them with my normal keyboard, but no complaints as is.

I found some screws at my local hardware store that work.  They are 1-72 x 1/4 flat head type (very tiny!).  They are not the screws that the Poker normally uses, which have a built-in washer, so I used separate washers, which were a bit of a pain to deal with when actually attaching the finished board/backplate assembly to the case.  The assembled backplate/PCB makes it difficult to position the screws into the holes, so I eventually made a small cylindrical guide out of paper to help position the screws/washers and to prevent them from sliding underneath the backplate.

Also, before installing the board I did file down the center screw shaft that interferes with a bottom-mounted component on the board.  I filed it down until the board sat flat in the case.  Apparently I didn't file it down enough, since the first time I tested the fully assembled keyboard in the case it didn't work at all.  (It had been working fine when I first tested it outside the case.)  I guessed that the filed-down shaft was still high enough to be shorting the board, so I disassembled the keyboard and placed some insulating material over the shaft.  The reassembled board then worked fine.

The only other problem I ran into was my own fault - I started assembling the backplate/PCB before realizing that the stabilizers needed to be installed on the PCB first.  I had only soldered in a few switches in at that point, but it was a real pain to desolder them in order to start over. Overall, speaking as someone who has done previous DIY electronics stuff (but not much keyboard modifying), the soldering was probably the easiest part of this whole project.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the end result, and have now got my eye on the GH60...

Offline BossBorot

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 17:49:14 »
If anyone wants a plate from this group buy at cost let me know. I already built up my pokers with other plates so I don't need the 3 I just received.

Also if anyone has extra pcbs I would be interested in buying.

edit: 2 plates left.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 December 2012, 23:50:25 by BossBorot »

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #320 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 20:34:40 »
Because of how nice my old Poker felt after I secured the center of the PCB with this mod, I didn't want to grind-off the misplaced standoff from this kit.  So instead I relocated the troublesome diode, as described here:

http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Modifications:KBC_Poker_X:Simple_Center_Support_Modification
Russ