Author Topic: I'm considering buying a Customizer 102, But is it worth it if i want a model m?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Mynameislol

Hello, i've registered here because i want to know if it's worth buying the Customizer 102? I have a IBM 6781 typewriter, i really like how it feels to use the keyboard, and i really want to buy a IBM model m, the problem is, i live in sweden and i'm used to swedish keys, and it's almost impossible to find a model m here. I have a friend who threw 5 of them away about two years ago, and at that time, i didn't even know him. The thing is, i really want a IBM model m keyboard, and it seems that the only alternative is to buy a customizer 102 with swedish keys, and i was wondering what i should do? I'm worried that the Customizer 102 doesn't have the same feel like the model m keyboard. Should i try and have patience and look for a swedish model m? I don't seem to be going anywhere, and i've been looking for over a year already, should i just get the Customizer 102 and be happy with it? Or is there someone here in sweden that got a model m to spare? I don't care what model m it is, as long as it works.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
My experience is that the Unicomps and IBMs are very similar.

You will see a lot of bickering about "feel" and "sound" but the underlying mechanics are the same, and the differences are subtle and esoteric. So what if the weight of the inner metal plate is less by the weight of a quarter of a bottle of beer?

I have several Model Ms, and my "prime" specimen is a really old, heavily-modded 1390131 with springs from a 2010 Unicomp (thanks, demik), so even a mix-and-match mentality accepts that every item has its own qualities.

Buy the Unicomp, the price is entirely reasonable compared to the other mechanical boards out there, and in 5 months or 5 years you may find an old Model M. Until then, don't worry, be happy.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Quote from: Mynameislol;589107
Hello, i've registered here because i want to know if it's worth buying the Customizer 102? I have a IBM 6781 typewriter, i really like how it feels to use the keyboard, and i really want to buy a IBM model m, the problem is, i live in sweden and i'm used to swedish keys, and it's almost impossible to find a model m here. I have a friend who threw 5 of them away about two years ago, and at that time, i didn't even know him. The thing is, i really want a IBM model m keyboard, and it seems that the only alternative is to buy a customizer 102 with swedish keys, and i was wondering what i should do? I'm worried that the Customizer 102 doesn't have the same feel like the model m keyboard. Should i try and have patience and look for a swedish model m? I don't seem to be going anywhere, and i've been looking for over a year already, should i just get the Customizer 102 and be happy with it? Or is there someone here in sweden that got a model m to spare? I don't care what model m it is, as long as it works.

Some thoughts on this.

First off, an "IBM Model M" keyboard is not a specific thing. IBM-branded Model Ms (bear in mind that the Customizer is itself a Model M) were produced over a space of about 20 years, by multiple manufacturers (including Unicomp) in multiple factories. Over these years, various changes were made to the construction of the keyboards, and the tolerances of the springs, which mean that over the years, the exact feel changed. In very sweeping general terms, early IBM Model Ms were big clunkers that are often painfully stiff to type on. Later ones are almost identical to what Unicomp still produces. Everything in between falls somewhere in between with unnerving inconsistency. This, of course, is before we start considering the effects of wear and age on the examples that you are likely to find, which can make them not particularly pleasant to use, which further complicates the task of defining the 'original IBM feel'. My personal feeling after reading into this stuff more than most is that the question of which vintage is best is a matter of personal taste.

Secondly, due to some of the aforementioned issues, and the fact that Model M keyboard in your typewriter is constructed differently, and mounted inside a typewriter, you're not likely to find a Model M that feels exactly like it. But if you are looking for a solid buckling spring keyboard, a Unicomp is the way to go. Especially given that you're taking a gamble with the condition of those old Model Ms. They don't last forever, contrary to what some think.

Much like the poster above, my favourite Model M, out of a number that I've tried, is my IBM SSK modded with Unicomp springs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 May 2012, 16:17:16 by ch_123 »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
You may be able to pick up a cheap ISO Model M in Sweden and then order Unicomp keycaps... I'm not sure quite what the best pricing would be for you. I highly recommend a Model M however... Good choice!

Offline mr626

Get the Unicomp, then search for a Model M.

Also, consider ordering a replacement lock led overlay when you order the Unicomp, that way you don't have to put up with the ghastly Unicomp logo.

Offline NeeGo

Threaten Unicomp. Tell them if they don't update their pictures, you won't buy their keyboard (I'm only half-joking).

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
buy the unicomp. great guys, great keyboards, none of the gunk that's on ebay keyboards.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline ThinkRob

I'd get one, if only because the 80s and 90s Model Ms won't come with a warranty. :D

Really though, as far as feel is concerned, everything that ch_123 said is correct; there's a *lot* of variation in Model Ms.  The Customizer 102 is a great buckling-spring keyboard so if that's what you're after then I'd get it.

My home keyboard is a bolt-modded, like-new '86 1390131 and my office keyboard is a Unicomp EnduraPro.  On paper, both are similar (both buckling-spring, both using similar designs, etc.)  In practice, they feel quite different.

Really the only way to go is to try it and see if you like it.  If not, return or resell it.  You won't be out much money and you'll have a better idea of how to proceed.